Discontinued The Timber Elite by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Probably sounds more complicated than it is. I need to get past the cover plate integration before I can even look at software. Did some work on the plate yesterday. Getting closer to an actual working cover plate. What is more important, is creating templates. That is where I need to spend my time today. The other issue is wood type. I was working with some white maple and not liking how easy it tears out with all this very fine work. Maybe I need to adjust drill speed.

In all honesty, until the cover plate is able to do it's job of integrating the chip into the unit, I can't really test performance. Pics coming soon...

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
For the Elite, it is all about templates and jigs. The four button holes are easy once the center hole is punched. This template, which is still a work in progress features four 7/64 pilot holes. The screen is another matter. The hole for the screen was routed with a trim plunge router and simple jig I just built this morning, and I think it came out really nice. Still not 100 percent sure how I'll handle the USB hole.

This first attempt at a thin template to eventually be used to layout all holes. The template button holes are 7/64" pilot holes, and are drilled on the drill press. The actual screen hole will routed just like the template. Still thinking about the USB. The other side of the coin are the 3 mounting tabs that hold the chip in place on the bottom of the plate. I've already built a jig for that, and built a few. Now it's a matter of putting it all together, and making it PERFECT.

I am using the lumber I picked up at the school (kid's blocks). It's really, really, hard maple. The softer maple I was using was useless for this. It looks like the cover plate may not be available in every wood. This stuff is what I'll be working with initially. Seems to maintain its integrity, critical for proper function.

The big progression here is the quality of the screen hole I was able to achieve with a hand held router. All coming together, and in all honesty, it's mostly mental work. I feel like I jumping out of my skin from thinking, problem solving, sometimes with quite a bit of frustration.

20181118-141952.jpg

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
Looking good. I too am happy about the button placement discovery- I definitely wanted the versatility of both LB models, but as some of my issues are in my hands, that was a bit of a concern as I may have mentioned earlier in the thread.

Lurking and observing this progress reminds me how much I appreciate those willing to tackle learning about tech- It is definitely a foreign language for me. While not a woodworker myself, I can understand more about the process was being described, then I can the digital stuff. Much thanks, from possibly one of your quieter LB crew.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
The Elite progress is looking great , Mike ! Props to pre-order folks whom are perhaps taping their fingers not to ask for updates or when , lol . Are we their yet ? :lol:

Things are looking good for Vapwood to start rolling these out soon! keep up the great work! Nice plate ! Love the grain :clap:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Yes, I am closer than I thought I'd be. I need to get a few cover plates built, get one to Alan for button creation, back to me for installation and final testing. I have 3 or 4 unit bodies pre-assembled, not 100 percent sure they'll be usable with this cover plate as a final product, but we'll probably get a working protype or two out of them. I built those bodies a few weeks ago, so there will be a refamiliarization of the process. I'll need to adjust the mortise for the chip, as it's now just clearance for the board attached to the cover plate. By making this modular, the board and cover plate should drop right in.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
As we get closer to an actual Elite release date, I am thinking about pricing. Right now the Elite is available as a pre-order for about $300. I am trying to hold on to that price if possible. The chip itself is over $50, plus the screen holders and custom buttons. How much extra work is involved in every unit? 45 minutes to an hour would be my answer at this point.

I am still accepting pre-orders and pre-order down payments ($50) at the $299 pricing, but in order for this price to hold up, I'm banking on my process improving, allowing me to go a bit faster - we'll see, for now I'm willing to take that chance.

Right out of the box, I really just need to focus on the build process, with as little distraction as possible. The first batch of units will be either maple or cherry. You'll have the option of passing on this if you are waiting for walnut or a blend.

Today I'll build a few more cover plates and send off for the custom button fit. I am really excited about these wooden plates and custom buttons. I assure you, this will set the Elite apart, not only functionally, but aesthetically as well. I guess while my buttons are being fashioned, I'll take another look at the unit bodies I built last month, see what needs to happen at this point to accommodate the cover plates, and get a few built. This was my ideal, a modular DNA75 Color board mounted to a wooden cover plate that can be easily integrated into the Classic design. The board simply becomes 4 leads that mount to the unit, 2 battery, 2 coil.

Anyway, for now the pre-order pricing stands at $299, and accepting a $50 down payment buys your spot on the pre order list. The goal is to get all pre orders built and shipped in December.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Here's where I'm at. I am making cover plates until I satisfied with quality. I might send one or two off to @Alan, even with minor imperfections, as they may serve well as first prototypes. What you're looking at here are some templates, a half dozen *first tries*, as well as 10 more blanks, all marked up and ready to be drilled, routed, filed to perfection. I may wait until some small chisel blades arrive for my x-acto knife, works well as a mini flat chisel, especially for the USB and mounting tabs. I having a minor problem with a little tear out as I trim the waste around the mounting tabs, and the another reason for chisel knife blades vs actual chisel.

Getting there...

20181125-161845.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Looks really great mike
Thank you. Considering those are the units I won't use, they are really good. My chisel blades and new files arrive tomorrow, and I just may have to wait before finalizing the next batch of 10. A couple of these will find their way to Alan's shop for a *button fitting*. I'm confident things will go smoothly.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
This is all starting to get really exciting!

Those cover plates look great, looking forward to a pic of the elite with a cover plate and chip.

@Bravesst is the elite still going to have a switch box? Not that it matters, just curious if it's still needed if the switch is built into the dna chip board.
The Elite will have a *wire box*, versus switch box. The built in fire button will be used. Had a frustrating day in the shop.

I realize I can layout cover plates dead accurately, but I need a drill press vise with an x / y axis in order for that perfect layout to translate into perfect holes. I just ordered a decent one, plenty accurate for our purposes here, and comes in a couple of days. It's just not worth struggling to get everything *perfect* when the right tool for the job can do the job better with just a few turns of a dial. My goal is not only to build an ass kicking Elite, but to do so without frustration and wasted time and effort.

Two steps forward, one back, but we are still getting there.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
So the Capri drill press x / y vice has arrived a day early. I hope to get it all set up maybe tomorrow or Saturday. I have a feeling that once I start to use this, I'll wonder how I managed without it. It's going to make lining up and boring the holes for the taper and coil very simple, as well as the switch box. Reading the Amazon reviews, it will need to be cleaned up a bit, kind of adjusted. Always surpries me when tools aren't meant to be used out of the box, but some tweaking is necessary to get the most out of the unit, and I think this unit will need a little tightening up as well. At 4 inches, it is bigger and heavier duty than I'll actually need (good thing), and I believe it'll provide a machinist level of accuracy that is a bit beyond what's called for in wood working. Can't wait to get it mounted.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Elite Update
X / Y vice arrived, but I needed a couple of days to build some Classics. I got the vice operational, and used it to drill the switch and magnet holes as I familiarized myself with the device. I need to create some spacers / shims to enhance function for our purposes. That'll probably happen this week. I'll be in the shop almost every day.

At this point I know the Elite is about to happen. Delays are always inevitable when entering uncharted territories, but once I can get a cover plate with high enough quality to Alan, a prototype/functional unit is right around the corner.

It's gonna be very interesting to see what the DNA75c can do for Lil' Bud.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I can be a bit obsessive / compulsive when it comes to wood working and vape building. It might not be a great trait for a businessman, as it can slow things down, but it serves the builder in me well. Nothing can happen until I create a perfect cover plate that will basically be used as a template going forward for all the buttons. I'll be sending this off to @Alan, as he will be turning the buttons for me. This one cover plate is important, because ALL buttons will be based on how they work with this unit. I guess it would make sense to send him a few plates, just so we know the buttons work on a few different units, and the cover plate button fit is not just a fluke.

The plate has 6 holes DRILLED
Three, 4 mm round button holes DRILLED
One, 8 mm round button hole DRILLED
One, rectangular screen cut out (approx 14 mm x 21 mm) ROUTED / CHISEL FILE
One, USB port shaped cut out DRILLED / CHISEL / FILE

As I feel the entire Elite project rests on this process, this is time well spent. Today, I formed 10 cover plates at 8 mm thick. At full thickness, I need to nibble away 5 mm across the whole plate except for 3 small mounting tabs that remain 8 mm thick. All holes were formed, and by far the best, most consistent results were had with the right use of the new vice, drill press, and router jig. After removing all that waste and forming the 3 mounting tabs, I will take a chisel, chisel x-acto knife, file, and sandpaper and smooth everything out. I must have formed 30 plates that I've discarded for one reason or another. There really is no other way around it, but to keep building, and figure out every issue, no matter how big or how small.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
The plate has 6 holes DRILLED
Three, 4 mm round button holes DRILLED
One, 8 mm round button hole DRILLED
One, rectangular screen cut out (approx 14 mm x 21 mm) ROUTED / CHISEL FILE
One, USB port shaped cut out DRILLED / CHISEL / FILE

This is a lot of work to make the faceplate. I know you want the "all wood" look, but wouldnt it be better to buy something off the shelf? In metal?

I would also be concerned that such a thin bit of wood would be fragile.

oddjobold,
Reactions: KeroZen

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
A metal prefabbed plate would be the obvious short cut, but I prefer not to take short cuts, which inevitably compromises quality. I could have taken lots of short cuts in the development of the Classic, but chose not to, and that's what sets Lil' Bud apart.

I am at the point where I can turn out cover plates, but before I do, I need to know it works with the board, and for that I'll need my completed custom buttons, which Alan will turn on his precision lathe. I won't be able to ship until Friday, and next week, if all works out, it's almost time to build some Elites. While Alan works on the buttons, I will turn my attention back to the unit itself. I've already worked out the build proces

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
The X / Y axis vice might be one of the best investments I've made. For my purposes, it turns a drill press into a milling machine. I can know quickly and repeatably, bore holes in small parts with ease and accuracy. This is helping out with all sorts of tasks.

I am still hoping for a December Elite release. How everything comes together in the end will determine if this is possible. Once the cover plate / board / button sandwich is all worked out, it's simply a matter of dropping into a correctly sized unit. Exciting times...

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
The X / Y axis vice might be one of the best investments I've made. For my purposes, it turns a drill press into a milling machine. I can know quickly and repeatably, bore holes in small parts with ease and accuracy. This is helping out with all sorts of tasks.

I am still hoping for a December Elite release. How everything comes together in the end will determine if this is possible. Once the cover plate / board / button sandwich is all worked out, it's simply a matter of dropping into a correctly sized unit. Exciting times...

Exciting times, can't wait for a pic of an Elite once Al finishes the buttons. :tup:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Finally sent off a sample cover plate to Alan for button creation. Things are moving right along as I'll finish up some work with my Classic / Blend orders, while awaiting the arrival of the final component. I'm also working out some even better methodology while waiting. I've picked up an electronic caliper, of dubious quality, but makes me realize I need the real thing. Also, lost in shipping (rare for Amazon), is a 1/8 up cut router bit that I'm looking forward to using for very precise work.

All in all, look for a prototype pic in about a week or so.

Last edited:

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
@Bravesst
Been quiet recently but looking forward still- collaboration can be a beautiful thing. Starting to itch for my Elite Blend sibling to my current Blend! Ah well- more time for me to consider blend patterns!

Top Bottom