Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
um, @Bravesst, is that a self portrait in my quilted maple??
xnhfe9.jpg

That's Abraham Lincoln.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
My cherry LB arrived!

Any how to's available for me to get it up and running? I got some rimmed screens to do the screen on each side thing but I don't know how far to put the screens in or what the typical setup in the stem is like.

I've read to use a fine grind and I'm ready to learn the button and draw technique once my 18650s are charged.

Thanks for any direction and congrats to all my batch six buds!
signal_2018_06_29_142045.jpg

RushVaporTrails

Thanks for any direction and congrats to all my batch six buds!

you don't need a screen on both sides, just the side going into the opening.

https://vapwood.com/user-guide

this is pretty helpful...

I would say rule #1, if you were getting nice vapor, and now you're not, it's the battery,

I wasn't getting vapor today as easy as I was yesterday and was freaking out a little with a new toy, as in what did I do, uh oh, but lo and behold, fresh battery, and poof, back to full steam ahead. (not that I'm obsessed with the LB or anything)

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Okay batch 6 guys (and girls). Thank you, thank you, thank you. If vapor loses its punch, it's probably the battery. If not, maybe the pack, if not that, then the switch. That's the full list. If its the battery or load, easy fix, if its the switch, still easy, but I need to do it.

@beyond6strings
I have to thank you on voicing your opinion on the switch being as ergonomic as possible. I've been testing out three, 3 amp switches, and ease of use was a big part of my final decision. Thanks again!

Today was another hugely productive day. All holes (except vent) holes drilled. Switch box cutout complete. I'm going to say it again, running everything through the thickness planer has changed everything. Every aspect of each LB is super consistent, not possible right off the saw for long grain and face grain. Every unit dimensionly identical, this eliminates lots and lots of last minute adjustments, and when working with very fine tolerances and 20 units, much time is saved. I just can't believe how much everything is just *clicking*, it's kinda scary. What was I thinking not utilizing this awesome woodworking tool? It's all about consistency.

Each unit still needs to have the end grain sanded and edges rounded - no easy task. I will probably knock off the bulk of it on the drum sander, which is also great on tough end grain, but have to finish if off by hand. But first things first, gonna try and get started on the actual switch box tomorrow.

I also have another half a dozen bodies of various species lying around from last batch. No coils, but pre-assembled. That puts my batch 7 potential pretty high, and it's not even July. I'm actually making time, getting a little ahead on LB, to buy some Timber time.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Does the battery go positive side up in the LB? The user guide page makes no mention and the device isn't marked to indicate the direction of the battery.

bossman,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Got it: positive facing down. Thanks for the quick reply @cpk!

Aaand we're back. That was an excellent first solo session with my cherry LB. I had the tidy screen (which I torched first) up in the mouthpiece with the messy sided screen as a cap.

Let me use an emoji for the first time. :tup:

Thanks, @Bravesst!

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@RushVaporTrails , thats a wicked LB! a quilted Einstein portrait in the first known QM LB body, it doesn't get more unique and collectable then that ! Congratulations again! stay safe with them 18650 !

Congratulations @beyond6strings and @bossman on your new LB's !
Now @beyond6strings knows what I meant when saying Mike had unleashed the beast post Denver , and now LB 2.0 offers us even more ?? Crazy!

The differences between pre Denver (batch 1-3) and post Denver units (batch 4-6) is notable. Having used both day in, day out , the difference is not overly drastic but the tweaks definitely made the LB more responsive , more pronounced hits and more battery efficient. its easier to get to A-Z , a full extraction, if/when desired, with the same great flavor and smoothness, the vape's signature. I've been enjoying my first LB past few days and it's like going camping with an old friend , nothing but good times !

Now comes LB 2.0 with a ss foil to insulate the coil and concentrate the heat to the coil/vapor path, the outter coil pin placement to side which I'm sure will help centre the spiral coil for optimal roasting , the stronger 3A switch , tighter coil , etc, etc... :o:brow:

I agree with BeyondSix, get one! or upgrade , get another , make a down payment , join the wait list , lol , do something !

@CaptVapor , are you still by the mailbox ? I'd bring you an Abv peanut butter sandwich if I could !

Last edited:

CaptVapor

@CaptVapor , are you still by the mailbox ? I'd bring you an Abv peanut butter sandwich if I could !

Sadly the package is delayed :(

This has actually happened to every vaporizer I've ever purchased, tracking will lead me on, tease me with vapor-filled goodness and then... NO SOUP FOR YOU!

But it's ok, you guys are Lil Bud'n for me tonight :)

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@bossman - positive side down, but it'll work either way, just feel it is safer

@CaptVapor - that really sucks, hate USPS sometimes

@RushVaporTrails - you're gonna have some good times staring at that quilted, God knows what you'll find after a bowl or two.

Going to make the most out of my half day today. It's time to cut the switch boxes, and this is when when the unit really comes together, literally - pre-assembly. Can't wait to see the look of the new 16mm, 3 amp switch installed in the new unit. I do have a few coils formed, but that will be where I spend my time next week. Coil forming will probably take a couple of days for a large batch such as this. I may be able to pull this batch off mid July, even at over 20.

I know I will have plenty of Cherry LB's in stock for those who want Christmas in July!!!

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Batch 7, it's time to get excited!

19 LB's with some extra switch boxes. Time to do the final *fitting*, then on to pre-assembly, and planing, sanding, finishing. That's a 16mm rough opening for the 3 amp switch vs 12mm for the 2 amp. Building the switch boxes actually took longer than it should have. Somehow a stop block shifted, resulting in half the boxes being a mm long. I had to go back in and trim it (much easier to cut off a larger piece of stock than to hold a tiny box with a push stick, but I managed it with only about 30 minutes added to the big picture. Everything else went smooooooth, just like the way LB is hitting right now!
gmACLB2.jpg

Purple Heart (no finish)
ejvRPKB.jpg

Quilted Maple
i6v6YED.jpg

Last edited:

RushVaporTrails

@RushVaporTrails - you're gonna have some good times staring at that quilted, God knows what you'll find after a bowl or two.

@Bravesst,

so Mike, I really love my quilted maple Abe Lincoln/Albert Einstein LB, but gotta say that quilted maple you are currently showing has got guitar top all over it,

that's the coolest LB I have seen so far,

oh do I want it

but having two Quilted Maple LBs might not be necessary at this point but man it is just crazy looking.

and yes, a few times hitting the LB magic button does make the quilted morph into interesting images.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Gonna sneak out to the wood shop for a few hours this morning. I have relatives staying with me for a couple of days, and as someone who is used to full freedom to vape, that is never easy. Especially when it's always a party and everybody's drinking up a storm (used to be me, but over 2 years no drinking). When I was drinking, I'd get drunk to make it easier, now I just can't vape. I need edibles!!! I'll survive.

Anyone have a quick ABV solution?

I hope to fare up everything today for pre-assembly. That means really fitting the switch boxes to the units. Once assembled, I can then really finish plane / sand / to the final shape, as well as apply hot beeswax, before installing the coil and switch. If I can get there today, I'll be very happy. Like a half days work. Maybe tomorrow I can pre-assemble and start making these units look like Lil' Buds. A quick observation on the different woods. Cherry is by far the nicest to work with, of all the woods I've been using. The Purple Heart is so dense, I can feel it dulling up my drill bits. The walnut, while not nearly as bad as the PH, is not without difficulties boring large holes into end grain. Quilted maple is just a pain in the ass, but Cherry just cooperates on every level, drilling, cutting, routing, planing, sanding, finishing. It tends to never splinter, tear out, which is crucial when working with such tight tolerances. And the lighter wood is just easier to see. Love me some Cherry. The mainstay of LB.

Bdubbdiblets

Gonna sneak out to the wood shop for a few hours this morning. I have relatives staying with me for a couple of days, and as someone who is used to full freedom to vape, that is never easy. Especially when it's always a party and everybody's drinking up a storm (used to be me, but over 2 years no drinking). When I was drinking, I'd get drunk to make it easier, now I just can't vape. I need edibles!!! I'll survive.

I'm often in a very similar sitch and although it's a bit gross, I have just sprinkled a bunch on a piece of toast with some peanut butter (you'll need some water...). Not the best but quick and if you eat enough it certainly does the trick.

Very awesome and amazing how quickly you're getting this batch done! Good luck with everything it's really fun watching the progress. :drool:

May you find a way to medicate!

:rockon:

Bdubbdiblets,
Reactions: P.A.M.

RushVaporTrails

Yes, it is kinda gross if you think about it, but my favorite way is to mix it into chocolate pudding and mix it really well.

you don't really taste the AVB although the consistency has a granual feel to it.

my other go to is blueberry yogurt, the dark blueberrries mix well with the AVB,

not sure how it is for everyone else, but it seems to hit me pretty quick and is pretty enjoyable feeling but it doesn't seem to last a long time. I am a big guy so perhaps that has something to do with it

RushVaporTrails,
Reactions: P.A.M.

TeeJay1952

A good ABV solution is indicated by the steady usage of LB. Magic Butter Machine works great. A combo crock pot with agitator that cleans up easily. Just toss ABV (no flavor to savor, save for later) into cookie jar and when full 2 lbs butter, water and ABV plus 2 hours and Liquid Gold to be utilized as you prefer. All this is happening while you whittle in the shop.
https://magicalbutter.com/
One LB for a MB. You won't regret it.:rockon::myday:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
I decided to go back to the screens originally intended for the LB. I'm happy I did.

I'm noticing better flavor and response. It's probably as close to 100% convection as you can get-I think I was getting some conduction from the top hat screens that have way more mass than the SS screens Mike includes with his stems. But with the increased response from the Batch 6 coil those top hat screens aren't really necessary, and I don't think they improved the experience.

@RushVaporTrails, @Bdubbdiblets thanks for the ABV ideas.

So far I've just ground it in a coffee grinder and made a bunch of 00 capsules. It takes about 10 to get me high, but I do get a great night's sleep which is what I use them for.

I might try the Peanut Butter ABV sandwich and the pudding sounds interesting too.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Yup I find peanut butter toast easy and tasty . Abv with toasted bread blends in well texture wise . Yogurt is another good , quick and easy go to.. nowadays I eat it raw , flick the abv from my LB stem into my palm and eat it directly while thanking the weed gods . Quite ceremonial lol . No jars , no waste .

Pretend the milk went bad , hide the butter , surely a reason or two you can find to sneak out being the sober driver ;) congratulations on keeping sober , going on 9 years myself . Vape on!

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I may wind up *eating it raw* today, or maybe blend it in a nutritional shake that ironically has organic hemp seed in it.

I'm am now working in the indoor shop. Vent holes cut and fared. Inside coil compartment groove modification applied, sanded clean. Switch box final fitting complete before pre-assembly.

I need to create rough mortises inside every switch box, as the round 7/8 inch bored hole is too small for the switch to fit. So this is a bit more work due to the new switch. The mortise doesn't have to be dead on perfect like the battery compartment, but functional - everything needs to fit nice and neatly. Neatness, especially with electronics, counts. Almost ready for the actual pre-assembly - 8 more switch boxes to go. Tomorrow. I'll post pics once the beeswax is applied.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Don't eat too much raw if not used to eating abv. From what I know abv isn't easy on the digestive system for some people , the reason why adding oils or fat like peanut butter , coconut oil or yogurts/pudding is recommended.. but yes definitely add it to your nutritional shake!

Last edited:
Top Bottom