Light Box Vaporizer design and build thread (formerly B1)

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Great project. I have a halogen log project on my own,but it has a female glass body ,i tried PID ,but i wasnt impressed with the constant Blinking ,it aint great for the life of a halogen bulb. Better use a dimmer,your build has more than enough mass to offer stable temps.Something like in this video ..
P.S Do you have link for the top metal part that fits the 18mm ? What it is ?

Boden

Aspie polymath
I am definetely DIMyself as spare parts links are out :brow: (even if desktop aren’t my routine anymore)

What about a battery pack and a metal bowl?

Metal bowl?

Great project. I have a halogen log project on my own,but it has a female glass body ,i tried PID ,but i wasnt impressed with the constant Blinking ,it aint great for the life of a halogen bulb. Better use a dimmer,your build has more than enough mass to offer stable temps.Something like in this video ..
P.S Do you have link for the top metal part that fits the 18mm ? What it is ?

WzplPji.jpg

I turned it down to match the 2.85 degree taper in this cheap 14/23mm downstem. Could do the same thing with a drill-press and some sandpaper.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Hey @Boden ..
yes long time lurker and like'r of your thread here!! Love your sense of humour or bluntness as I know sometimes your serious but it makes me smile regardless like the bit about likes are cool but.. hahah

Yes, nice vape !!! And that's What I call a DIY thread !!!! Hope mods are taking note! Lol jokes ✌️

I too am waiting in the parts list as you mentioned would come . I know you have already posted pics but some of us need a list I guess to better visualise . That said your photos and video are Very descriptive or well thought of on their own , quality pics !!

A few questions I have been wondering all along , I'm ignorant in both regards.

How long to you estimate the bulb can last ? Surely not 50years as your goal is . So it must be easily replaceable? Does it fit in the tub snuggly or is it affixed some how ?

The bottom metal piece. Is it galvanized? The first pics seemed as so or seemed differently textured then the others ? You seem like a safe guy so surely your using safe metal, I'm just curious what it is . I Know they are all pipe fittings just don't know the finish of that piece..

Awesome work @Boden , vape on!

P.A.M.,
Reactions: AtomicPB

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Metal bowl?

Yes, not only it would be unbreakable but also would add some heat where convection is missing (should be lightweight though, in order to not steal too much heat from the vape itself)

Andreaerdna,

Boden

Aspie polymath
Hey @Boden ..
yes long time lurker and like'r of your thread here!! Love your sense of humour or bluntness as I know sometimes your serious but it makes me smile regardless like the bit about likes are cool but.. hahah

Yes, nice vape !!! And that's What I call a DIY thread !!!! Hope mods are taking note! Lol jokes ✌️

I too am waiting in the parts list as you mentioned would come . I know you have already posted pics but some of us need a list I guess to better visualise . That said your photos and video are Very descriptive or well thought of on their own , quality pics !!

A few questions I have been wondering all along , I'm ignorant in both regards.

How long to you estimate the bulb can last ? Surely not 50years as your goal is . So it must be easily replaceable? Does it fit in the tub snuggly or is it affixed some how ?

The bottom metal piece. Is it galvanized? The first pics seemed as so or seemed differently textured then the others ? You seem like a safe guy so surely your using safe metal, I'm just curious what it is . I Know they are all pipe fittings just don't know the finish of that piece..

Awesome work @Boden , vape on!

I amuse myself :D

The lamp in this use should last years. I have lots of them. = 50 years easy.

Yes the mount is galvanized. It doesn’t get hot enough to matter. I tested it by leaving it on for an hour. The tapered metal tip hit 750*F, the nickel plating which is below the ceramic insulator which is below the mica reflector hit ~400*F. Far below the temperature needed to cause any issue.

It would be easy enough to replace if someone cared to.

h1gUHsS.jpg

emyJRUF.jpg

Yes, not only it would be unbreakable but also would add some heat where convection is missing (should be lightweight though, in order to not steal too much heat from the vape itself)

There is no spot where convection is missing. That said, I will make a metal downstem as I am clumsy as fuck. :p

Last edited:

Andreaerdna

Sorry, wrong word, not missing rather weaker as convection it is always hotter in the middle IME but unbreakable is main goal indeed

Andreaerdna,
Reactions: Boden

asdf420

Wow
I'd also love a parts list
Those 4 screens still allow some light through, to light up the bowl?
if the mount is also threaded inside, it could work like a vapcap tip? longer heating path?

asdf420,
Reactions: Boden

Boden

Aspie polymath
Sorry, wrong word, not missing rather weaker as convection it is always hotter in the middle IME but unbreakable is main goal indeed

I understood. This one is not hotter in the middle. Completely even ABV

Wow
I'd also love a parts list
Those 4 screens still allow some light through, to light up the bowl?

So I can see that it’s on. Plus handy in the dark to find bowl.

If the mount is also threaded inside, it could work like a vapcap tip? longer heating path?

No need

I’m making a nozzle for a smaller 10/19mm taper. Will be better for honey oil. More consentrated air stream.

Cutting the threads off at 2.58 degrees

pN5l3Zd.jpg

e8t2jGM.jpg

Last edited:

Andreaerdna

@Boden I just got spare parts for my venus apollo (portable halogen) and it remebered me it produces maybe the best vapor amongs my little collection: convection taste and even ABV with no effort (no need to pull a gallon of air) but it need to heat soak the metal bowl to give a fully extracted (even abv) without stirring. I played with quartz tube in place of metal bowl and I got remarcably less even abv, hence my suggestion.
I will try to put some addictional screens over the bulb though
Do you let lightbox preheat the bowl?

Andreaerdna,

Boden

Aspie polymath
@Boden I just got spare parts for my venus apollo (portable halogen) and it remebered me it produces maybe the best vapor amongs my little collection: convection taste and even ABV with no effort (no need to pull a gallon of air) but it need to heat soak the metal bowl to give a fully extracted (even abv) without stirring. I played with quartz tube in place of metal bowl and I got remarcably less even abv, hence my suggestion.
I will try to put some addictional screens over the bulb though
Do you let lightbox preheat the bowl?
What you see in the video is what I do.

Boden

Aspie polymath
That's awesome @Boden ! I love my log vape, this seems as powerful if not more . it sure does milk your jars ! Congratulations
(In a joking tone because the thought of a 100W log amused me)
As powerful !?!? You have a 100W log vape? :sherlock:

(Not very funny outside my head apparently)

*Time passes*

*Thinks ‘What if someone made one of these thinking it was a log vape... should clarify’*

Please no one confuse this with a normal log vape.

Seriously, very different critter.

More like a flowerpot than a log. If the flowerpot was on-demand from off to ready in 15 seconds.

Then you turn it off.

Edit add: PUT YOUR DRINK DOWN BEFORE READING THIS!!!!

9lb1CDA.jpg

Last edited:

Boden

Aspie polymath
Please excuse my ignorance for suggesting it looked as powerful if not more , we aren't all as knowledgable as you are , Sir. congratulations all the same ...

Apparently my joke fell flat. My bad

You reminded me that it kinda looks like a log.

Thought I’d add that clarification. Not focused at you

Oops

Please see edits above

Last edited:

Boden

Aspie polymath
Don't feel bad, apparently my compliments did too :peace:
I don’t feel bad. Also, thank you for the compliment. :)

I hope this can BTFO of the supreme, or at least approach it
So much cheaper too
Fuck, it could be a revolution, man

Supreme? Not fimilar BRB
edit: apples to oranges. Edit 2: *puzzled* In what way is the Supreme lacking?

Last edited:

szai

Apparently my joke fell flat. My bad

You reminded me that it kinda looks like a log.

Thought I’d add that clarification. Not focused at you

Oops

Please see edits above
See I'm a very partially effective prognosticator!:brow:

See it's already dropping bombs!:D

Top Bottom