Legal herbs...an idiot's guide (hopefully)

Pcpvapors

I'm using leafs, there's a tea shop intown that sells certified organic chamomile, whole foods also has chamomile and sage in loose leaf form. I do have to disagree with DV's post on the tinctures. Many tinctures on the shelf are made with grain alcohol (65-80%) water + substrate. When evaporated what's left is essentially QWISO. HOWEVER, I do agree that dosing must be very cautious, know the chemicals you're dosing. Thujone is found in sage and is known in high doses to cause seizures, Common Sense would tell us dabbing Sage QWISO would potentially be very bad.
KNOW YOUR SUBSTANCE! Bottom line. I however did make a California poppy tincture into QWISO and have done very very small hot knife hits with success.

Pcpvapors,
Reactions: z9

stickstones

Vapor concierge
thanks pcp. I'm not looking to get heavy duty, so starting with some loose leaf stuff sounds like the way to go for me...that and buying prepared oils like DV will is offering.

stickstones,

Pcpvapors

I've found chamomile to be a really nice home from work herb or beautiful weekend herb, for when you just want to mellow.

It's also easy to tell when it's done because it browns just like herb.

I'm curious to see if i would loose the active ingredients if filtered through water.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
where do you guys buy yours? I was gonna get a few ozs from vapeworld for around $6 per oz.

stickstones,

farscaper

A note on usp glycerines... Make sire they are purely from plant sources... Walmart carries a usp glycerine... But some phone calls will inform u that they in fact us some animal glycerin in it as well as from veg sources... Anyone wanna vape a cow?
Yes you can vape herbs in tea bags.

The disclaimers that I've seen might just be to cover said company's ass. I've seen the herbal blends sold by various companies but haven't seen the tinctures. The LSV website has a lot of herbal blends and individual herbs for a good price, I would probably start there.

USP vegetable glycerin is safe for vaporizing, but there's no way to know if that is what the producer used, unless its stated. Other types of glycerin aren't as pure, they're fine for the typical method of ingestion, but not for vaporizing. I wouldn't worry as much if I ordered a tincture from a reputable company that makes vapes since they know what their clientele does with herbs.

satyrday

The best way I found to quiet an upset stomach is a single puff of datura leaf (or ground seed). Hopefully everyone knows that datura can be death and delirium inducing in large doses, especially if eaten. But it also has a long history as medicine, especially for asthma. Datura trip reports are some of the most harrowing, so do your research, be very careful, and use only a pinch.

I find datura a nice way to add a dash of yang to heavily yin cannabis (esp sensimilla), which alone can cause upset and imbalance for some. This means of achieving balance through mixing cannabis and datura has been used in India for centuries. They call it uniting Shakti and Shiva, i.e. yin and yang, feminine and masculine energies ... catabolic and anabolic I think too, for the more scientifically oriented.

So again, just a single puff every two hours or so while enjoying cannabis saves my stomach. Atropine is known to reduce the production of bodily secretions, including a reduction of bile and acid in the gastrointestinal tract for me. It is included in the WHO's Essential Drugs List.

Since using it I haven't had that terrible nausea and gurgling of the stomach that comes over me all too often, and which usually leads to doubling over on the stool the next morning. However, it's not easy to come by in leaf form, which is how I prefer it (never tried the flowers). I found it growing as a weed and picked it. It is pretty common in the wild.

Tobacco may have a similar effect for some, and may be one reason it is commonly mixed with hashish in Europe and Asia - I can only attest to the efficacy of datura in this regard.

(this tip is for Tweek especially - to make up for all the contest razzing)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I just got my six herbs in form vapeworld...spearmint, peppermint, lavender, lemon balm, chamomile and eucalyptus. I'm really looking forward to testing their health benefits. Out of curiosity, any of you ever use these herbs in any of the analog vapes I have in my signature? I'm wondering where to start...the best digital vape I have is the Ion, but I really want to get a better feel for taste than the bags will allow. I need to get a power supply for my E, so that's that. Analog thoughts?

stickstones,
Reactions: Adobewan

Pcpvapors

I just got my six herbs in form vapeworld...spearmint, peppermint, lavender, lemon balm, chamomile and eucalyptus. I'm really looking forward to testing their health benefits. Out of curiosity, any of you ever use these herbs in any of the analog vapes I have in my signature? I'm wondering where to start...the best digital vape I have is the Ion, but I really want to get a better feel for taste than the bags will allow. I need to get a power supply for my E, so that's that. Analog thoughts?
I put all my herbs through the Gn0me, eucalyptus has a lower combustion point as well as lavender, the rest are around the standard 375.

Pcpvapors,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
any one every vape wormwood?? i have been interested in that for a little bit.. i'd like to find some locally.. but i'm not sure where to go to buy fresh herbs like that.

Buildozer,

Pcpvapors

any one every vape wormwood?? i have been interested in that for a little bit.. i'd like to find some locally.. but i'm not sure where to go to buy fresh herbs like that.

I've read very conflicting reports on wormwood, The Thujone found in wormwood is dangerous in high doses. I've heard good results and no results but I suppose with careful dosing you can lead the way into new territory.

Pcpvapors,
Reactions: Buildozer

Rob Ashley

I sometimes add mint to my herb and it's enjoyable. Another thing I have experimented with in the past, is burning frankincense resin...I find it very relaxing, especially in conjunction with a vaping session.

Bleh! :lol:

Tweek, what temperature did you vape frankincense at?

Rob Ashley,

Pcpvapors

After much time scowering the interwebs I stumble upon a local homeopathy, with a self proclaimed 2000 herbs in stock. I'll be going tomorrow to see what goodies I can find.

Pcpvapors

Borage and comfrey root are good for joint pain BUT are unsafe to vaporize! Avoid! I've special ordered some herbs that are supposed to be knockout pain killers ill keep you updated. Mullein is a nice to vape, eucalyptus is very oddly mellowing.

Pcpvapors,
Reactions: Enchantre

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm really interested in this aspect of vapourizing for a couple of reasons. One is that I've been asked to write something about it, but I also have wanted to try various herbs and blends just for the taste experience.

We're all familiar with vapourizing so we tend to think using materials other than cannabis is a good (perhaps better) way to consume them. I don't see this as a given. For one thing, a lot of the reasons we vapourize have to do with avoiding combustion and its nasty by-products. Most other herbs aren't smoked, however, so those benefits don't exist. I see the big challenge facing vapourizer manufacturers who want to break into this market to be consumer education, and that's a huge barrier. They need to convince people that instead of making teas or ingesting herbs in capsules, they should buy a device and inhale the vapour. I don't think the benefits from this are obvious. I'd be interested in other opinions on this point.

Most people using herbals aren't looking for psychoactive effects either. They're looking to improve their health or alleviate some condition. Many of the herbs used for these purposes are prophylactic or require extended use to work. They don't provide the instant effect we're used to. It's not clear to me that vapourizing improves this experience.

My own interest is, as I said, for the taste. If there are other benefits that's great, but I like trying new flavours and I'm not really looking for anything else. I hope everyone trying these herbs and blends will include their impression of the flavours they get.

Pcpvapors

Eucalyptus is very much like menthol, an herb I thought had an odd flavor when vaporized is typical cooking sage or clary sage because it also has a menthol flavor. Chamomile has a nice honey like flavor, mullein has a unique flavor which is kinda woody and earthy. Lemon balm when properly prepared does have a lemon flavor. Green tea tastes just as it smells that funky stink. Valerian is very earthy.

Tweek

Tweek you need THIS:Ashwagandha

Thank you! Any tips on its use?

Edit: Saw Valerian mentioned above with regards to flavour. That stuff smells like cat urine...but it is effective for sleep.

Tweek,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I need a good herb for focus and concentration...any suggestions there?
I have a close friend who is an Herbalist. Her "Brain Stimulator" herb tea consists of Burdock, Ginkgo, and Rosemary. I prefer it as tea, but any of those could be vaporized, as well. Herbs from the mint family, like peppermint, spearmint, and catnip, also are "energizing" herbs.

Pcpvapors

Green tea tweek, it's a muscle relaxant but the slight caffeine content is a stimulant I find it makes me feel like a wetnoodle but with a very perceptive mind.

Tweek

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will have to see where I can locate some good quality material. Even if the effects are mild, I find the act of vaping to be relaxing, so I am always looking for something to vape in between regular bowls.

Top Bottom