Legal Alaska

virtualpurple

@grokit I have yet to hit up any of the dispensaries in Fairbanks, but so far I'm hearing that the product here does not justify the prices. No concentrates running in Fairbanks yet either.

I have however, used AC/DC for delivery, they operate out of anchorage and Fairbanks and most times they deliver a good product.

I have no affiliation whatsoever, I am just a satisfied customer. They have goofed a time or two but they are less costly than what I'm told the Fairbanks dispensaries are charging and they are usually quite a bit faster than their quoted delivery times.

virtualpurple,
Reactions: grokit

grokit

well-worn member
I'm well outside of anchorage; from what I've read there are three shops open so far. But legal inventory is scarce, because of legislative/permitting delays that are mainly related to growers' land use & zoning. On my way home the other day I saw one that looks like it will be open soon, I hope it's good. The mat-su valley appears to be behind the rest of the state, and I don't know wtf is happening in the wasilla area yet.

This latest article is informative and entertaining (to me :haw:), as the local church ladies are trying to go against the will of the state voters, the further will of the borough voters, their local special land-use district, their elected state representatives, and their local chamber of commerce and community councils...

Getting the green light: Mat-Su pot ready to go
Borough assembly passes amended conditional-use permit for local marijuana industry

A speaker in favor of the cannabis industry during the Jan. 10 public hearing on an ordinance to regulate marijuana businesses in the borough through a conditional-use permit, at the Mat-Su Borough Assembly meeting.

PALMER — The Mat-Su Borough Assembly voted Tuesday to pass an ordinance regulating local marijuana businesses with a conditional-use permit.

The ordinance included two amendments that will immediately impact local marijuana businesses.

The biggest immediate impacts, borough-wide, are likely to be felt in regards to an amendment exempting limited cultivation facilities from having to apply for a conditional-use permit.

Such facilities are defined by the State of Alaska in part by their size of less than 500 feet.

The assembly did not pass an amendment to eliminate the permit’s 100-foot setback requirements for marijuana businesses, something cannabis advocates and several people testifying at the public hearing asked for. No assembly members motioned to introduce that ordinance.

Wearing a bright red dress, marijuana industry consultant and borough marijuana advisory committee chair Sara Williams delivered a high-volume impassioned address to the assembly during the public hearing, asking it to introduce and pass both a limited cultivation exemption, and a reduction of the permit’s setback requirements.

“My purpose in this world is to light a fire under your asses, and everyone else’s, to guide us to economic freedom,” Williams said. “The truth is without legal, regulated cannabis products being sold in state, we only go backwards. With no new reasonable tax revenue sources, we are lost.”

Several other marijuana business owners advocated for the same changes, but in the end, they got half of what they were hoping for – exemptions for limited cultivation facilities, but no reduction in setback requirements for other businesses such as retailers or large cultivators.

The biggest controversy, and the biggest surprise, of the night came from Kowalke’s introduction of an amendment to grandfather in all marijuana businesses that exist inside a borough Special Use District or Residential Land-Use District, if their state licensing applications have already been accepted at the state level, prior to the date of instituting the new local-level regulations in the borough. The amendment applies even if the application received by the state is later deemed incomplete.

more :shit:...

Kowalke said he already caught some heat previously for calling for a moratorium on letting legal marijuana go through at the local level until a vote of the people could be held last October on the issue. Now, he said, he’s been facing demands from some in Talkeetna for yet another moratorium, to wait until the local community council updates its Special Use District, in an effort to ban McAneney’s shop.

Kowalke said he’s been unfairly maligned by a small group of people in Talkeetna, in particular, “Geri McCann and friends,” who don’t want to see McAneney’s shop go in on Mainstreet.

In discussion on the grandfathering amendment during the meeting, Kowalke noted McAneney had already faced many delays, including the most recent one related to the marijuana ordinance public hearing being cancelled during the original late-December meeting. At that time, it was determined the borough had failed to give proper public notice, and the hearing was rescheduled for Jan. 10.

“If Talkeetna through its community council has a new ordinance for assembly and planning commission to look at through new rules, so be it,” he said. “We’ll address those as they’re coming forward. This is to clear up what I think was a comedy of errors driven by the borough itself.”

:tup::rofl:

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
I finally went to a legal cannabis outlet in the usa, still never been to a medical dispensary. The weed was 2x the price of black market and the only two strains so that didn't impress me, but they just opened and frankly it will take a year or two until supply issues are resolved and product competition ensues. They also assured me of more variety and some concentrates in a few days/weeks etc. There are no allowances for or integration with medical mj yet, even though those rules were already in place. Still for a place that just opened the people and the setup was quite nice. They had a bunch of glass combustion ware and vape pens and then I spotted a dbv so we talked vaporizing for a bit. They also had a decent selection of edibles, so to show support I picked up four "dank chip cookies" with 10mg each for $30; should be a nice treat with a late coffee on super bowl sunday morning. The only other time I have purchased legally was in amsterdam, great weed, hashish and space-cakes so they are still ahead for now but sky's the limit we'll get there.

:cheers:

ghost

the local church ladies are trying to go against the will of the state voters

Maybe someone should break it down to those dummies in language that they understand...

If they oppose cannabis, then they are evil and satanic and will burn in hell. lol

Their own holy book very clearly states that God put all the plants here specifically for humans to use. By opposing it they are essentially saying that the Christian God is wrong, and that they instead worship the US government as their true God.

grokit

well-worn member
@grokit if you find yourself up towards Fairbanks you should hit me up! FC-AK!
Cool :tup:

The cookies I bought are made up there, by Frozen Budz.

They're 'infused with product' from Greatland Ganja, which looks to be in Kasilof.

I'm taking an Alaska cruise in May... I wonder if I will be able to find anything to buy?..
Definitely. There's a bunch of shops opening in anchorage, and juneau has at least one nice one I would love to visit myself. I'm sure more are/will be opening in other southern seaports like seward, ketchikan etc.

:sherlock:

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Fairbanks emerges as Alaska’s marijuana hub

State tax records show that nearly half of all marijuana bud, flower and trim sold legally in Alaska through April was grown in the Fairbanks North Star Borough, which also boasts nearly half of Alaska’s taxpaying cannabis cultivators.

So far, growers in Fairbanks have cultivated and sold about 800 pounds of marijuana and paid $444,000 to the state in taxes, records show.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Cannabis is really expensive right now in Alaska but prices will come down. It's supply and demand. The blackmarket is still thriving at much lower costs. In WA state cannabis was $20 -$28 a gram in the beginning with recreational. I had a medical card so I continued to buy at the medical dispensaries at $10 and $12 a gram.

I noticed a gram at some stores is $28 or $30.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Cannabis is really expensive right now in Alaska but prices will come down. It's supply and demand. The blackmarket is still thriving at much lower costs. In WA state cannabis was $20 -$28 a gram in the beginning with recreational. I had a medical card so I continued to buy at the medical dispensaries at $10 and $12 a gram.

I noticed a gram at some stores is $28 or $30.
I just noticed some super lemon haze on sale for $10/gram, so things are starting to look up already :tup:

Concentrate prices need to go down, but there's a supply bottleneck for the processors. They don't get enough trim, because it's going into pre-rolls for tourists. When they leave pre-rolls should change to bud and the trim should go to the processors, and the prices should come down. In theory anyways!

:sherlock:

grokit

well-worn member
I just heard that the current thinking (hope?) is that tourist/seasonals only make up 10% of the dispensary traffic. Also that our first big harvest is about ready to hit the market, which will hopefully inspire some price competition and lead to more product going to processors. Unfortunately, it may be a one-time harvest for many of these farmers, as the voters in a couple of boroughs get to decide whether to snuff them out of business just as they start to get rolling. The vote was today, so we'll see tomorrow (no tv atm).

Alaska Marijuana News
Marijuana business bans are on the ballot in 3 local elections

Cultivator Sean Dunn waters cannabis plants that will soon be harvested at the Great Northern Cannabis facility in Anchorage on Aug. 31. (Marc Lester / Alaska Dispatch News)

When Alaska voters legalized recreational cannabis in 2014, the ballot measure included an option for communities to opt out of the marijuana industry. Local governments can vote to ban businesses, and voter initiatives can take the question back to the ballot.

All three initiatives were put on the ballot by petition signatures. And all had hoped to bring the issue on last year's ballot, but missed the deadline.

Public officials – Borough Assembly member Lance Roberts in Fairbanks, and Marijuana Control Board chair Peter Mlynarik in Kenai – support the initiatives.

Many of the arguments on both sides have remained the same since the original vote...

:shrug:

grokit,
Reactions: macbill

grokit

well-worn member
:rockon:
:cheers:

Alaska Marijuana News
Voters decisively reject cannabis industry bans in local Alaska elections

Nick Reaume, a cultivator for Greatland Ganja in Kasilof, on the Kenai Peninsula, harvests marijuana plants in September 2016. (Marc Lester / Alaska Dispatch News)

Voters in three Alaska communities on Tuesday firmly rejected measures that would have banned the cannabis industry locally.

Marijuana businesses in the city of Fairbanks, the Fairbanks North Star Borough and the Kenai Peninsula Borough will be able to keep operating after voters in each area decided against propositions to close all cannabis stores, grows, and manufacturing and testing facilities.

"There's a sense of relief, a giant sense of relief, I would say. That's probably the overwhelming emotion and sentiment at the moment," said Karen Bloom, co-owner of the Alaskan Blooms marijuana cultivation facility in Fairbanks and chair of the "Keep Cannabis Legal Fairbanks" campaign.

With 98 percent of the ballots tallied in the Fairbanks North Star Borough, 70 percent of voters rejected the prohibition of cannabis industries, unofficial results showed Wednesday morning. In the city of Fairbanks, 69 percent of voters opposed the ban...

:science:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Alaska Is Officially The First State To License On-Site Marijuana Consumption At Cannabis Stores

Later this year, Alaska marijuana consumers will be able to buy their cannabis and smoke it, too—all under the same roof.

Adults 21 and over can buy regulated and taxed cannabis from licensed storefront dispensaries in a growing number of U.S. states—but until Alaska Lt. Gov. Kevin Meyer (R) signed new regulations into law on Tuesday, no states had been in the business of issuing permits authorizing on-site consumption.

Top Bottom