Legal Alaska

Tommy Dukes

Live everyday like it's your last
Alaska just legalized marijuana! But before you get out your best vape pen and rolling papers out in celebration, keep in mind that smoking in public, still carries a $100 fine, as does selling marijuana in the state.

Reference: https://www.marijuanapackaging.com/blog/alaska-becomes-the-3rd-state-to-legalize-pot/

2v167lu.gif

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Baked Alaska?
One is that it currently has some of the most expensive marijuana in America. The price of pot is closely linked to proximity to Mexico, which has historically provided most of America’s cannabis. That is bad news for Alaskan tokers, who live a very long way from the Rio Grande. According to Narcotic News, a pharmacological journal, a pound of good marijuana costs between $2,500 and $4,000 in Alaska, making it the priciest place to get high after Hawaii. In El Paso, Texas, you can buy a pound of freshly imported Mexican stuff for as little as $200, though it probably won’t be as potent. (If these prices sound ridiculously cheap, remember that we are dealing with the wholesale market. By the time those pounds have been divided into ounces, and then eighths, prices are much higher.)

The high price of illegal pot in Alaska means that the legal market ought to be able to undercut the street dealers pretty easily. In Colorado, where illegal cannabis is much cheaper than in Alaska, licensed dispensaries sell a product that cannot quite beat the illegal sort in terms of price (though it eclipses it in terms of quality). This means that getting high is no cheaper than it was pre-legalisation, though it is much easier and less risky. We won’t know until next year exactly how much legal marijuana will cost in Alaska, but it seems likely that, unlike in Colorado, it may work out a fair bit cheaper than the illegal sort. This will make it a good case study on how price affects demand. If the price drops will Alaskans smoke more?

CarolKing

Anchorage Marijuana Club Navigates Shifting Legal Landscape

Zachariah Hughes, KSKA – Anchorage

Marijuana is in legal limbo in Alaska. Multiple bills in the Legislature will determine everything from permits to penalties, and in the meantime municipalities are scrambling to find rules that protect the public but also make room for an emerging industry. A new marijuana club in Anchorage shows the tentative approach by businesses to navigate a shifting legal landscape.

I thought the part that said, "rules that protect the public" was kinda funny. Gotta protect the public from the evils of the marijuana drug.:dog:

Yehawwielon

I was under the impression that weed had been legal for years in Alaska as long as it was for personal use. In fact, I remember clearly back in high school years ago we had a class discussion one day about weed, and this kid from Alaska was talking about his perceptions of the effects of legal cannabis on the state.

Maybe its one of those Netherlands situations? Like it wasn't technically legal before now, but basically accepted unless you were just incredibly stupid about the time and place you chose to use it?

grokit

well-worn member
It's always been quasi-legal for personal use, as far as I know. There were limits in place and big grows got busted pretty regularly. Mj prohibition was snuck into an anti-meth bill relatively recently by an ultra-conservative one-term governor, but it was against the state constitutional privacy provisions. So there was a court case that set the recently-until-now "compromise" precedent that basically put things back to what they were before the meth bill. Now none of that matters because of the new decriminalization.

Mmj laws were passed separately and are basically toothless. I'm hoping that now we'll finally get some actual medical dispensaries, and not just pot shops for cruise ship tourists. Although with international water laws coming into play that does sound like it could be kind of fun.

grokit

well-worn member

grokit

well-worn member
Cross-posting from the "main" thread.
Interesting opinion piece in WA Post on the idea of non-profit pot: http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...e-legal-but-it-shouldnt-be-sold-for-a-profit/
I think this is what's happening in alaska, as they just allowed 24 plants per household. In my fertile imagination, this is because some cruise ship company called the state tourism board and said that their cruise ship customer demographic was uncomfortable with a bunch of pot shops everywhere. Now that the baby boomers are aging this type of argument should go away on its own. But if everybody can have 24 plants it keeps pot in the private sector much like the black market did but without the black market.

CarolKing

Laurel Andrews
August 10, 2015

The Marijuana Control Board on Monday laid out its most comprehensive set of draft regulations yet for Alaska’s fledgling cannabis industry, including a proposal that would ban marijuana social clubs, even as owners of existing clubs spoke out against any actions by the state that would shutter their doors.

The newly-created board is holding a two-day meeting at the Atwood Building in downtown Anchorage, and heard Monday morning from business owners who had been sent cease-and-desist letters by the state.

“We’re not criminal actors,” Green Rush Events co-owner Corey Rorem told the board.

Five of the six businesses that were sent letters testified to a packed room that held around 70 audience members. Only the Alaska Cannabis Club did not attend.

READ MORE: Ban on pot clubs among proposed Marijuana Control Board regulations

Last edited:
CarolKing,

CarolKing

I wish cannabis never became legal in WA. I wish we would have just kept the medical. It's very easy to get a med cert.

When the state gets their greedy fingers and regulations involved in it they ruin cannabis for everyone.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Posted by CN Staff on November 21, 2015 at 09:03:10 PT
By The Associated Press

Source: Associated Press

Juneau, Alaska -- The board tasked with writing rules for Alaska’s recreational marijuana industry voted Friday to allow for people to use pot at certain stores that will sell it, a first among the four states that have legalized the drug.
The 3-2 vote by the Marijuana Control Board also changed the definition of the term “in public” to allow for consumption at some pot shops, none of which are open yet. Colorado, Washington and Oregon have legalized recreational marijuana but ban its public use, including in pot stores.

Read More...

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
:cuss: This would really suck ass if it passes.

HB 337 could require Alaskans to keep records of personal marijuana.

If you grow your own cannabis in Alaska or even if you buy legal cannabis when stores open this fall,, House Bill 337 could require you to keep records and then hang onto those records for three years. But, just how a person is supposed to keep records isn’t clear.

In Alaska, possession of a weight scale is considered prima facie evidence of an intent to distribute marijuana. But, without a scale, how is a person supposed to know how much marijuana they harvested from their personal grow? Or even whether that sack of smoke Alaskans can legally carry outside their homes weighs less than an ounce.

The last paragraph of the bill, subsection (d) of Sec. 43.61.050. says that the Department of Law “may examine the books, papers, records, or memoranda of a person growing, selling, receiving, storing, refining, or processing marijuana”. The other subsections of Sec. 43.61.050 refer specifically to marijuana cultivation facilities, but subsection (d) refers to a person. The bill, as well as its supporting documents can be found here: http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/get_complete_bill.asp?session=29&bill=HB337

Some say Alaskans smoke 20 tons of bootleg cannabis a year.

By some estimates, Alaskans have been consuming around 20 tons of bootleg pot a year. While no one knows for sure, it is probably a safe bet that the majority of that smoke is grown right here in Alaska before being distributed on the black market. This subsection of the bill is clearly aimed at the entrenched black market for cannabis in Alaska while innocent Alaskans are caught in the crossfire.

So, how would the Department of Law know if a person is growing? Smell, perhaps? Growing, possessing and using cannabis in one’s home has been legal in Alaska since 1975. However, odors wafting from large grows have led to many arrests over the years, most recently in Homer, where the smell of growing marijuana led police to a warehouse containing 1,000 plants. Live cannabis has a distinct, easily identifiable odor and even the slightest whiff could be considered evidence that cannabis is being cultivated. HB 337 might just give the state the right to go inside a person’s home to see.

The bill gives the Alaska Department of Law authority to inspect personal marijuana grow records.

The proposed law does not necessarily give the Department of Law the right to inspect a person’s personal grow, just their paperwork. But, there are provisions in the bill that provide for penalties for those possessing more than four ounces of cured cannabis, more than six plants or having more than three of those plants in bud. The bill uses the definition used in the controlled substances list to determine the weight of taxable marijuana for personal growers. That weight is defined as one-sixth of the live weight of a plant minus the roots. Any personal use grower who has more than the limits set in HB 337 would have to pay a $50 an ounce tax on any excess pot beyond the limit.

The current laws surrounding personal use, growing and harvesting cannabis in Alaska are conflicting and confusing for everyone. This bill just adds to the confusion while creating an unnecessary burden on personal use and likely impinges on the privacy Alaskans enjoy in their homes. Alaskans deserve to know, without risking jail time and lengthy, expensive court challenges, what their rights are.

http://denalismoke.com/alaska-legislature/hb337taketwo/

:horse:

grokit

well-worn member
I've been neglecting this thread :\

I posted this first part yesterday, re-posting it here where it's most appropriate.
I just voted today, in our local/state election. Our little hamlet is an unincorporated part of our state's largest borough (county), and they are trying to make cannabis illegal even though it was completely decriminalized at the state level. So even if it passes, it will be tied up in court. But what's interesting is that the sponsoring organization (using alcohol/pharma $) didn't do any campaigning whatsoever. It's like they are counting on stoners not even being aware that there's an election, in order to limit turnout to churchgoers and pta members. Because they have no evidence to support their position.

I voted against it of course, but in favor of the separate local taxation proposition so they can get addicted to the cash. I was torn on that part, but that's one of the lawsuits so blah blah blah they'll figure it out but it's safe to say that the will of the statewide voters is not being respected by the local political actors.

Of course they were able to blanket public radio with scary anti-pot reefer madness the night before (no fairness doctrine), at dinnertime no less. It's about the kids! But it makes me realize once again that facts and evidence are secondary to emotional talking points in america, no matter what political level we are at.

As we get things going in our usual delayed, corrupt legislative process; they've been growing product all summer, and besides retail outlets we're supposed to be able to have legal cannabis lounges, the first in the nation. Not sure about how that will fit with anchorage's no-smoking laws, maybe vaping will find a real toe-hold there. There's a guy in my town that's opening a retail outlet and juice bar, that should be a hoot considering the existing cannabis culture around here. I'm sure he's very happy about the following, as it looks like I voted with the winners of both issues. Kinda bummed about the extra taxes but we'll see.

Mat-Su voters reject commercial cannabis ban, but pot taxes popular

WASILLA — Residents of Alaska's reputed marijuana cultivation capital rejected a bid to outlaw commercial cannabis operations in local elections Tuesday.

A proposition to ban marijuana operations outside the cities of Palmer, Wasilla and Houston went down to defeat, according to unofficial results from the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.

The ban would prohibit pot businesses including cultivation, testing, production of edible products and retail sales. It exempted industrial hemp. Such a local option was a provision of Ballot Measure 2, the statewide measure Alaskans approved in 2014 that legalized recreational marijuana.

A higher-than-expected voter turnout helped defeat the measure, opponents said late Tuesday night :tup:

"We're celebrating," said Tel White, a Wasilla business owner who created a company called M Thunderfund Inc. to oppose local marijuana bans. "I'm surprised. I feel a lot of gratitude for all the people that worked on this campaign. I think we're all really happy about the voter turnout for the Mat-Su Borough."

The early turnout estimate Tuesday night was over 23 percent — still a low number but higher than recent local elections here.

White said his campaign had predicted turnout at anywhere from 9 percent to 13 percent. Last year's turnout for the October local elections was 14 percent.

‘Obstructions’
The Mat-Su, with its combination of remote properties and proximity to Anchorage, for decades has held a reputation as a pot-growing mecca. But it's also home to a fairly conservative and frequently religious voter base that's proven unfriendly to legalization.

more:
http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016...defeat-in-mat-su-but-pot-taxes-prove-popular/

:leaf::evil:

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
:ninja::science:

tjfPTaR.jpg

:cheers:

Alaska Marijuana News
Here are the 20 Anchorage marijuana shops that are closest to opening

pjimage-2.jpg

A collage of proposed Anchorage marijuana retail shop locations. (Annie Zak / Alaska Dispatch News)

Empty storefronts scattered here and there across Anchorage are about to be reincarnated as part of Alaska's newest industry: marijuana. Several are hoping to open before the end of the year.

Alaska Dispatch News compiled a list of 20 shops closest to opening in the Anchorage Bowl, along with photos of where they plan to be located.

Many of the shops are clustered in the Spenard and Midtown areas, downtown, and the industrial/warehouse area south of Dowling Road. This clustering is due to state-mandated buffer zones between schools and other facilities, and because many properties are older, and less expensive, than the city's prime real estate — an important consideration for an industry barred from receiving federally insured bank loans.

The shops listed area below along with their current license status determined by the state Alcohol and Marijuana Control Office:

• Active (approved by both state and local officials);

• Delegated (received state approval pending inspection and other approvals);

• Complete (application completed and awaiting state approval);

• Incomplete (application has been reviewed by the state but returned for more information); or

• Under review (application under review by the state).

Many more Anchorage retail shops have started the application process, but those are not included here. These stores are organized by how far along they are in the licensing process, and then alphabetically within those groups.

Active licenses...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-marijuan...-marijuana-shops-that-are-closest-to-opening/

:whip:
:bigleaf:

mightyhigh

My gf just went to Arctic Herbery, which I think is in Anchorage. It was her first time in a dispensary and she really enjoyed the experience even though the prices were higher than what we pay in the lower 48. She ended up with 2.5 grams of Afghani Kush for $50 and a couple of pineapple chunk pre-rolls for 15 each. Not cheap- but nothing is up there.

mightyhigh,
Reactions: grokit

grokit

well-worn member
My gf just went to Arctic Herbery, which I think is in Anchorage. It was her first time in a dispensary and she really enjoyed the experience even though the prices were higher than what we pay in the lower 48. She ended up with 2.5 grams of Afghani Kush for $50 and a couple of pineapple chunk pre-rolls for 15 each. Not cheap- but nothing is up there.
I was in town yesterday but didn't have time to stop by. I've still never been to any kind of legal outlet in the us, just some coffeee houses when visiting a'dam many many moons ago. I would like to check out ^arctic herbery, and there's a place called dankorage that seems like it's open over by rei. Do you know of any others worth checking out? I need to hit up facebook or leafly lol. I was hoping to wait until things had settled down with supply so there's some price competition, but my garden's kinda in rebuilding mode again so I'm gonna need an ounce and I don't want to pay $20/g. Local may be better for now but I'm curious.

I'll let my fingers do the walking, and try to call around in advance to see what's available next week. I think it will take a while for this market to mature, probably not until after the 2017 summer tourists leave :2c:

:sherlock:

Last edited:
grokit,
Top Bottom