LED growing - Marcuss are you there?

bongoman

I've seen Marcuss refer to LED growing here and I hope it's not too off-topic to raise it here in the Lounge.

Marcuss, I understand there are difficulties flowering with LED's - is that the case?

What would be a useful starting rig for a small indoor setup (as in very small - growing a couple of females only)?

Thanks in advance.

bongoman,

marcuss

above the clouds
Bongoman..Any occasion to talk about led light technology is welcome!
Led light in horticulture is in fast development and the commercial product is only a first step in the led lighting for hi-light demand plants like the one we love.
Led grow lights using 1w hi-power leds(like UFO,Procyon,LightBlaze) are very useful to grow beautyful bushy plants but for its focused spectrum you need to add something more to let them floweing correctly.
I try to explain: to reduce heat emission and energy bills you can give to the plants only the red(660nm) and the blue(460nm) vawelengths of the light spectrum that affects the chlorofill A and B, you will see healty plants!
You already know that we need to reduce the day light at 12/12 to start the flowering stage and like humans also plants change their chemistry in the night, this is called circadian cycle.
The led light doesn't emit infrared light at all!
In the first part of the dawn and in the last part of the day and also after the sun go down InfraRed radiations are at their peak and this works as a trigger to let the plants know that now it is day and after that will come the dark!
Shortly... when you are using led lights, plants are thinking that there is a never ending day like in the north pole!
This is good in the growing stage or for plant without photoperiod but if you need the long night for make them flower you will need a Infrared radiation when the led light switch off for 15 minutes at least.
Luckly one of the higer IR radiation emitter is the old incandescent bulb!
Simply take a timer+a 60w bulb( the best are the party lights like blacklight)and give to the plants 20 minutes of incandescent light in the last part of the day and the trick is done!
Also UV affects the plant and also other vawelenghts so why i'm doing my experiment for the perfect led light...obviously for me!
Leds for a grower are like paints for an artist!

marcuss,

bongoman

Thanks Marcuss. It sounds very interesting.

Are they commercially available setups or do you have to wire your own lighting rigs?

bongoman,

marcuss

above the clouds
yes they are!
The same brand of mine but i've got 20 blue and 70 red leds....and those are 10 blue and 80 red led!Little bit redder!

marcuss,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
if you want to get really serious about led growing, look up a man that goes by the name "The_B0fin"
he has a couple of massive threads on the internet, he primarily grows autoflowers, and he built huge led panels and such (he made his own everything, he just bought the leds and some boards) and put them into his grow box

there is a lot of good scientific data and such in his threads, any person who is considering leds should see them

Acolyte of Zinglon,

marcuss

above the clouds
well....the Bofin show us his own personal way to do the job and this is great!
There are about hundreds of very serious people that are doing their own experiments and share those golden words to the world....this is the future and you can see it run fast!
Some fresh infos are is progress here....
http://boards.cannabis.com/indoor-lighting/150174-perfect-led-grow-light.html
http://boards.cannabis.com/indoor-lighting/34819-led-grow-lights-input-please.html

this is the most important site about led lighting with hidroponics but no mj comments are allowed there!!!
http://www.greenpinelane.com/

greetings from London!!

marcuss,

HoneyAir

If this is something that allows someone to grow without being detected on electricity usage (because they're using so little) or being detected clearly enough on FLIR cameras because of such low heat... then this is indeed an incredible revolution!

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, if there is some flaw that makes them easy to detect that I don't realize at this time.

Someone made an incredible point about LEDs in one of those threads....

Since you have numerous LEDs... you can spread the light source around... so that the lower part of the plant gets as much love from light as the top does.

These are fiiiiiiiiine days indeed.

HoneyAir,

HoneyAir

NICE!!!

Lamps were far too hot to even consider using them in such a small space...

Now with LEDs you can grow them in those plastic tubs?!?!

A REVOLUTION indeed, because those tubs are SO easy to stealth... they look like they're just sitting there storing stuff, or that you're using it as a bedstand, or any way that you use them. Just have to keep the smell under control and you're set.

HoneyAir,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
i accidentally started another LED thread before seeing this one. I am currently using T5s and wanted to upgrade. Any recommendation of vendors or set ups? I have two closets, one for veg and one for flowering. Both are approximately 2 X 4 feet.

Can you make the plants flower merely by switiching to a 12/12 cycle or do you need to add the infrared lighting like Marcus mentioned?

stonemonkey55,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
I'll delet you'r other post ( no offense here ;) ) just to keep the info all focused in the same thread

Clear_Dome,
Top Bottom