Kief and Cannabinoid Degredation

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
Saw @Lookatmeglow s post on Instagram today about collecting kief and it got me thinking.

We know that cannabinoids degrade over time - oxygen, light, humidity and temperature all play a role.

For example, THCA when exposed to heat will decarb into THC and the THC when exposed to heat or light will degrade to CBN.

Unless we are frequently collecting the kief from our grinders and putting it in air tight containers we are losing potency.

The whole collecting kief thing all ready blows my mind. Some consumers like to really build their collection by knocking the tricomes heads off the flower during grinding. Almost as a badge of honor.

The reduced amount of tricomes would make the flower less potent, IMO. And then it sits in a grinder until such time it's collected (further degrading potency).

So what's the point? It cant possibly be any stronger than it would have been at time of harvest/cure - or can it?

There are some advantages of course, like salting your avb with some keif to increase the cannabinoid content. And if some of that kief had been decarbed, it's even better.

Or salting some low potency bud to give it the premium flower kick.

I don't go out of my way to collect kief but have been more vigilant in emptying out my grinder more frequently to prevent any degrading of the cannabinoids in the trichromes that did fall into the catch.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I took the middle piece out of my kannastor grinder last week and loving it. All the kief gets scooped out in my flower bowls now instead of being siphoned off which I think is crazy, since that is the medicinal part of the plant which contains all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and biomolecules!

Baron23

Saw @Lookatmeglow s post on Instagram today about collecting kief and it got me thinking.

We know that cannabinoids degrade over time - oxygen, light, humidity and temperature all play a role.

For example, THCA when exposed to heat will decarb into THC and the THC when exposed to heat or light will degrade to CBN.

Unless we are frequently collecting the kief from our grinders and putting it in air tight containers we are losing potency.

The whole collecting kief thing all ready blows my mind. Some consumers like to really build their collection by knocking the tricomes heads off the flower during grinding. Almost as a badge of honor.

The reduced amount of tricomes would make the flower less potent, IMO. And then it sits in a grinder until such time it's collected (further degrading potency).

So what's the point? It cant possibly be any stronger than it would have been at time of harvest/cure - or can it?

There are some advantages of course, like salting your avb with some keif to increase the cannabinoid content. And if some of that kief had been decarbed, it's even better.

Or salting some low potency bud to give it the premium flower kick.

I don't go out of my way to collect kief but have been more vigilant in emptying out my grinder more frequently to prevent any degrading of the cannabinoids in the trichromes that did fall into the catch.
I only collect what is available by happenstance...that is, I don't try to knock keif off but do want to collect what does fall off.

In the past, I have kept it in a Space Case but lately it doesn't last that long! LOL

hd_rider

I have a mason jar full of decarbed bud.

Do I just leave the jar on a shelf exposed to light if want to accelerate the degradation of THC to CBN? For how long? After however long that is, do I just extract the CBN into oil or butter just like I would with THC?

I'm wanting to make capsules or something purely to address insomnia.

hd_rider,

JCharles

Do I just leave the jar on a shelf exposed to light if want to accelerate the degradation of THC to CBN? For how long? After however long that is, do I just extract the CBN into oil or butter just like I would with THC?

Great questions but I'm not the right person to answer. My knowledge in the area is limited.

Depending on how it was decarbed you may all ready have some decent CBN levels, so leaving it unsealed and in the light would further the process.

Trial and error would be my approach. Maybe start with 1 gram in the light and try it at different intervals. Say 1-3-10-30 days.

No real idea. But CBN is not psychoactive so use that as a guide.

Some google-fu may be of use

ginolicious

A lot of people prefer only 2 piece grinders so that the Kief stays within the buds when you vape or smoke. Personally I’ve always used a 4 piece grinder as I would use the Kief when I ran out of pot. I don’t have that issue now since it’s so readily available. But I’ve always been a big collector of the Kief. Not the brightest thing to do. But I like to infuse mine in cream for topical ointments with my ABV.

sickmanfraud

Heat is a much better way to convert THC to CBN, if you want this sooner than later I would suggest a second decarb and maybe a third or fourth.

Over at Grass City there is an edible thread that may help you treat your insomnia. It is a sticky (pinned) created by Bad Kitty smiles. Specifically, she uses heat and freeze cycles to make the cannabis edibles more "sleepy" than regular processing.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
A lot of people prefer only 2 piece grinders so that the Kief stays within the buds when you vape or smoke. Personally I’ve always used a 4 piece grinder as I would use the Kief when I ran out of pot. I don’t have that issue now since it’s so readily available. But I’ve always been a big collector of the Kief. Not the brightest thing to do. But I like to infuse mine in cream for topical ointments with my ABV.
Whatever U like!

I gave by 4 piece grinder's to my KID'S
KIEF is $5.00/gram so why collect it?

2 piece grinder's I use 4 my liking.
3 piece for storage is cool.

4 piece is more MARKET DRIVEN?
BIG GULP, SUPER SIZE mentality!

R grinder's really necessary?
SCISSOR's work?

Last edited:

JCharles

Whatever U like!

I gave by 4 piece grinder's to my KID'S
KIEF is $5.00/gram so why collect it?

2 piece grinder's I use 4 my liking.
3 piece for storage is cool.

4 piece is more MARKET DRIVEN?
BIG GULP, SUPER SIZE mentality!

R grinder's really necessary?
SCISSOR's work?

I'm a 4 piece grinder Stan - I'm not into collecting kief but prefer the size and feel of a 4 piece.

And my favourite grinder of all time is a 4 piece, convertible into a 3 piece with a huge herb chamber (Super Weapon II).

You can also use a 4 piece as a 2 piece if you grind upside down.

I would really a quality 3 piece - deep herb chamber without a kief catch on the Super Wepon II tooth setup. It would ideally be 2.5" to 3" diameter - @InterplanetaryTanner

JCharles

If storing long term, isn't it best to press it first?
I don't know where I heard that, but it has worked well for me for years.

That's a great idea. That would certainly preserve the THC content.

You would still need to collect at a reasonable frequency and store air tight until there's enough to press?

Or, can you just add more onto some that's all ready pressed?

JCharles,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've been curious about this too. I don't try to knock any kief off into the catch that doesn't fall in there on it's own, but I do save what does, and I tend to let a few months worth build up. Am I just wasting half of it that way?

I'll admit that I have been considering getting a 3-piece grinder because I'm still uncertain if saving kief is worth the effort.

JCharles

I've been curious about this too. I don't try to knock any kief off into the catch that doesn't fall in there on it's own, but I do save what does, and I tend to let a few months worth build up. Am I just wasting half of it that way?

I'll admit that I have been considering getting a 3-piece grinder because I'm still uncertain if saving kief is worth the effort.

That's my motivation for the thread. Was really hoping someone might have an answer.

I would assume with that vaping everything in 1 go would require less total flower.

I dont collect very much despite hammering around 60 grams a month through it.

I use boveda packs before grinding, and do my best to not shake or over handle the herb. Seems to work well

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
jcharles, when was the last time you cleaned your grinder?
you really have to do regular screen maintenance if you want to increase collection.

I bet you could put an additional 60g through it right now and get near nothing if your screen is clogged.

Take out the screen section and hold it to the light. You will be able to see exactly where your mesh is clogged (if that is the issue, which I believe it is).

use a brush and iso to push all the congestion out.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: JCharles

JCharles

jcharles, when was the last time you cleaned your grinder?
you really have to do regular screen maintenance if you want to increase collection.

I bet you could put an additional 60g through it right now and get near nothing if your screen is clogged.

Take out the screen section and hold it to the light. You will be able to see exactly where your mesh is clogged (if that is the issue, which I believe it is).

use a brush and iso to push all the congestion out.

I brush out the screen from the top every gram or two. And then I'll take the screen out and clean once per 60 grams.

I'll clean out the keif tray and grab a photo, and then around he end of January Ill snap another comparision. For SCIENCE

JCharles,

sickmanfraud

I forgot to mention my post above how I utilize my 4 piece grinders. I switch from Sativas to Hybrids to indicas during the day (assuming I have that luxury) until I get to sleep.

I have an indica strain that is supposed to be between 24-28% THC. When kief separates from my indica strain I use this "weakened" medicine for the evening. When I am finishing up ( pain enough under control for a few hrs sleep) I add kief to these last stems to help me sleep.

edit: did not mention that I have separate grinders or medtainers for each strain.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: JCharles

zor

Hah, badge of honor.

Here's what I think. I use a 4 piece and collect kief for various uses. The amount that is collected from a typical ground bud is minimal, and I'm sure there is loss as it sticks to the screen instead of falling into the bottom chamber of my grinder.

Does that amount of kief really detract from my high?...or perhaps it really doesn't make a difference as vapor is produced and a portion of psychoactives never make it to my blood/brain as they are condensed across different parts of a given vape and glassware and also subsequently lost in a thick, dense exhaled cloud.

In other words, I still get high as fuck off of a tiny amount of bud.

JCharles

It's been at least 60 grams, probably closer to 90 grams since I emptied my kief tray (approximately 7 weeks).

2v3lcer.jpg

35db70m.jpg

Top Bottom