Keeping glass clean----

MinnBobber

the last time I cleaned my glass, I looked thru a magnifying glass and it seemed like quite a few tiny particles were embedded in the golden goodies.

It seemed they were likely cannabis particles/dust. I'd rather get purer reclaim AND have my glass stay as clean as possible, as long as possible, so decided to try an experiment.

I included an "inline degummed hemp filter" to filter out said particles.
Crafted a very thin hemp fiber "mini pancake" to put in my miniVAP.
V1 was right in the wire basket with the herb. Easy to fit BUT hemp fiber is kinda unruly and when I went to empty/save the ABV, some was entangled in the hemp web.
V2 hemp filter was placing the hemp above the top screen so ABV didn't get entangled. That is much trickier to place the filter but it works much better.

After a couple weeks I see:
- glass is MUCH CLEANER, as in maybe 1/4 as dirty and the condensate appears much more golden, and much more pure oil without the tiny solids like before.
- examining the hemp filter and it catches many particles, keeping them from making it to your glass (or to your mouth with a whip ???)

Picture below of an assembled miniVAP flexicone in my Herbie and one in pieces to show how it's assembled. In the final version, the hemp was a little thinner layer than pictured here, next to the white silicone flexicone. It's a delicate balance as I don't want to make a heavy draw restriction but do want some minimal filtering

Herbie%20mV%20VXL.jpg

Note that those who stir their partially spent loads really get a LOT of cannabis dust as herb is so dry before stirring---it crumbles. I've been stirring the basket over a paper and it creates a lot of dust which can fall downward OR easily get sucked upward into water piece or whip.

I never stirred before as miniVAP and Herbie require no stirring IF you grind your herb. Just started cutting very small chunks to load and they benefit from stirring later--but that creates cannabis dust.
Just an fyi from my experimenting

anyone else use any kind of hemp filter in their vapes??

Last edited:
MinnBobber,
Reactions: Derrrpp

hafalump

Did you ever use a bong? Now that's nasty. A little vape dust that gets cleaned daily is fine.
I feel like a filter is not worth the effort. My cleanest glass is the one I haven't used yet lol.

hafalump,
Reactions: Izan

MinnBobber

A little vape dust that gets cleaned daily is fine.
I feel like a filter is not worth the effort.
That vape dust degrades the quality/taste of the reclaim. With a small filter, the reclaim is now golden oil, not oil mixed with nasty tasting ABV dust.
For me, cleaning my glass is more of a hassle so extending that 4x between cleanings is the lesser of two evils.

With my setup it now takes about 30 seconds to craft/install the hemp but cleaning a glass piece takes 30 minutes.

AJS

Calm Consistency
With my setup it now takes about 30 seconds to craft/install the hemp but cleaning a glass piece takes 30 minutes.

I get my piece from dirty to clean in 2 minutes with an ISO wash ... Salt if really really dirty.

I'm looking to get some degummed hemp fiber to stick in my gong tho for my e-nano.

AJS,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
The point I think is being made is not that he needs a way to clean his glass, but wanted to keep his reclaim as pure oil.

I see what your going for, and yes in order to truly get the most out of your herb, stirring happens. And this does caus small particles to end up in the glass. I try to avoid any agitation of the herb of i can help it. My reclaim comes out quite golden but still contains a small amount or particulate matter.

kellya86,

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
Wouldn't it be easier to just filter out the particulates in the iso before you evaporate it?

h3rbalist,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

kellya86

Herb gardener...
That makes more sense I suppose. But would you be able to remove the sub micron sized peices that turn the oil brown. I suppose you would with enough filtering.

kellya86,
Top Bottom