Just a trend I've noticed.

Do you consider yourself an experienced vape user and do you prefer bag or whip?

• Total voters

FrogBoy138

I'm switching over to whip-bong after coming to FC but I got to say the bag is nice for splitting a load between two people. When people come over they don't want to think or work for the vapor. Most people don't like to think they just want to inhale. With the bag we can pass as we want no big deal. But with the whip all the flavor is in the first few hits. I hate to say to someone just hit it once and pass it back to me sounds greedy. I love to play with my vaporizers, bongs but I can tell my most my friends are not into learning each day how to use something I thought after a few years they would get the hang of it. After a broken downstem and a dropped vaporizer it's bags for dummies at my house.

FrogBoy138,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Okay, my (smart, handsome) hubby hooked the NO2 to his (cheap, beginner) bong, and we tried a couple of pulls that way. I am a little amazed at how just that itty bit of difference made a difference.

Yes, this is me with a headfull. :smug:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hi, my name is pakalolo and I've been using cannabis for 44 years and 79 days. I prefer direct draw (Experienced, other).

I hate to say to someone just hit it once and pass it back to me sounds greedy.

Over those 44 years I've been in many, many, many social situations where cannabis was shared. Without exception it has always been considered good manners to take one hit and pass it on. People who take more than one are considered rude. Where do you think the expression, "Don't bogart that, pass it on!" came from? You should get nicer friends. ;)

cellardoor

Over those 44 years I've been in many, many, many social situations where cannabis was shared. Without exception it has always been considered good manners to take one hit and pass it on. People who take more than one are considered rude. Where do you think the expression, "Don't bogart that, pass it on!" came from? You should get nicer friends. ;)

My friends and I have alway taken puff puff pass pretty literally. We all take 2-4 hits before we pass, this would make an interesting thread.

I got to say the bag is nice for splitting a load between two people.......After a broken downstem and a dropped vaporizer it's bags for dummies at my house.

My friend and I have great whip sessions with just the two of us, I would say that whips are pretty shareable as long as you stay under 4 people, I've also seen hookah attachments for the SSV that look really cool for groups. You're right though, I feel much better giving rookies the bag, less things for them to break, my friend's boyfriend broke the glass elbow piece on my EQ and it was a real buzzkill.

cellardoor,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
My friends and I have alway taken puff puff pass pretty literally. We all take 2-4 hits before we pass, this would make an interesting thread.

My friend and I have great whip sessions with just the two of us, I would say that whips are pretty shareable as long as you stay under 4 people, I've also seen hookah attachments for the SSV that look really cool for groups. You're right though, I feel much better giving rookies the bag, less things for them to break, my friend's boyfriend broke the glass elbow piece on my EQ and it was a real buzzkill.

Hey man, i don't consider myself to be that knowledgeable as i don't have first hand experience on many logs (CRZ, PD, UD..), i only own a WW and a HI.

I prefer this design over an SSV because of a number of factors:

- it is small, very small
- easy to setup (if it's on already, all you need is to load the stem which is a 10cm, 4inches tube.)
- it can deliver very thick tasty vapour with a very small load
- ability to vape small or bigger loads without losing on the overall experience (taste and hit density)
- inconspicuous with the wood body and aromatherapy ability

Of course the SSV has temperature knob, and it is better for a group (bigger bowl + whip) but when you come down to it.. a log is a much better one-person vaporizer and i'm usually the only one vaporizing.

My DBV was never used much after i got my WW, it just easier to reach for the palm sized log, even if both were on. (they weren't because the buddha is too big for me to leave it out in the open).

About the OP, i chose direct draw. Bags don't interest me, whips are felt in the taste, plus with water it is much easier to vaporize as well.

vorrange,

dannkk

This is basically the situation I'm in, I have an extreme q and I love it but I've always wanted a Silver Surfer and was planning on getting one when I'm out of dorms because I'm just under the assumption it's the best.

I wouldn't do that. I have a Q and a friend of mine has an SSV. They both have pros and cons, but neither is really much better than the other. It's at best, a step sideways, and then you've got two vapes that do basically the same thing. Save your money for something better than either or something that will give you new options. Check out the Cloud and Cera as ones to save for. Try a different portable or log vape for something new.

Back on track...I think the reason newer vapers like bags is novelty. That's what seems cool about vaping to a lot of people. Got this machine, I put my stuff in there, press a button and bam. Bag full of goodness. So easy, no ash...w/e. Without fail, any time I mention my vape does bags, that's what people want to try. They don't realize they taste kinda bad(compared to the first hits off a whipe) and take forever to fill up lol.

I think the earlier post about it going to direct draw is correct. Especially if the ecig type portables like the cera are as good as people are saying.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
$250 for the low-end "stainless" model ($500 for titanium)? $100 to change out cartridges? $50 for a replacement mouthpiece?

I'd say they need to work on drastically reducing prices, regardless how good it may be. Its an e-cig.

Oops.. missed this.

*Battery and charger not included*

Tack on an extra $40.

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
5 years of bag blowing with the volcano, finally taking the dust.
The MV hooked on my matrix, filled with warm vaping solution is the best way to medicate I have ever experienced.

Roger D,
Just to throw in an extra :2c: here...

I don't think you'll find too many here that agree with the SSV being the "best vape." You might find some saying that the Cloud is the "best vape" but it costs upwards of $400 - about twice as much as you'd pay for a log vape. The Cloud was designed from the ground up for vaporization; virtually all other vapes reappropriate some other existing technology and apply it to vaporization; the Cloud is computer controlled, has a large bowl size, browns herb consistently, etc. Personally, I'm going to wait until the Cloud 2.0 before I decide whether to jump on the Vapexhale bandwagon.

Log vape technology has progressed ENORMOUSLY in the last 12 - 18 months. When I first joined FC, the most popular log vape was the Purple Days, which was based on the original log vape design from the 1970s. You had to drag very slowly, with a lot of draw restriction (think milkshake), for a very long time, to get anything resembling a "big hit."

Just a few months after I got my Purple Days, a slew of new log vape makers started popping up on FC, including the Underdog (UD), Heat Island (HI), Wychwood (WW) and others. All of these have a lot in common, but I can speak to the HI based on personal experience. Compared to the Purple Days, the new logs have:

-much better airflow
-hotter operating temperature
-more instant vapor production
-bigger hits
-smaller form factor
-bigger bowl size (optional - the HI has MANY types of stems available)

I use the HI with a bubbler and the experience is remarkably similar to smoking, minus the combustion. The HI (or any modern log vape) can be thought of as a Bic lighter that's on a cord. Apply the HI to the stem sitting in the bong by turning the HI upside down (numerous Youtube videos demonstrate this), draw at a normal, comfortable speed, and watch the vapor plume up out of the water. No 30-second draw necessary, I milk my can in 3 seconds usually. Pull, stem, inhale, pass HI and bubbler to your buddy. Really, the ONLY thing different from a smoking experience is that the HI (lighter) is on a cord.

Given the power, convenience, stealth, power saving and space saving of modern log vapes, not to mention the fact that they can safely be left on 24/7 and always ready to hit, many would say that the SSV is obsolete at this point.

Edit: It's also quite popular these days to use a variable voltage power supply to power a log vape. This allows you to adjust the temperature from very thin, wispy, flavorful hits to damn near cashing the entire bowl in one draw, or anything in between.

Edit 2: Another reason why modern logs rock is their easy compatibility with glass, which has to do not just with the stem/vape interface design but also with their small size. There are many glass pieces that cannot be used with the Cloud because it's too large. The HI is small, very light weight and maneuverable - I can't think of a glass piece you couldn't use it with, so long as it accepts a 14mm slide.

OH, one last thing - durability. I've dropped my Maple Burl HI probably 50 times onto hardwood flooring. I've accidentally swung it around by the cord many times as well. Dropped it and caught it by the cord. I'm talking sloppy, who-gives-a-shit type stuff. Not a single dent, scratch or blemish. No interruption in operation. The thing could be cleaned a tad and sold as new. Try that with an SSV :)

max

Out to lunch
dannkk said:
I have a Q and a friend of mine has an SSV. They both have pros and cons, but neither is really much better than the other.
I'd get off the 'better' issue entirely. With good brand name vapes, 'better' really only applies to user preference as far as how you want to the vape and what features are important to you. The SSV provides richer hits (higher vapor/air ratio) than the E. The size of the air stream, one vs. the other, determines this and there's just no doubt about it. The SSV standard heater tube has a small opening, providing a very narrow stream of hot air compared to the E, and that more vapor with each hit. The E can pretty much equalize the difference by using the elbow screen instead of the bowl, but it's not designed for that- it's a workaround. That method is also going to require much more frequent cleaning of the the elbow screen. So in the area of 'out of the box vapor density, the SSV easily beats out the E.

OKcomputer said:
Given the power, convenience, stealth, power saving and space saving of modern log vapes, not to mention the fact that they can safely be left on 24/7 and always ready to hit, many would say that the SSV is obsolete at this point.
I wouldn't say that at all, and I've been using both the SSV and log vapes for years. Unless you use the log vape with water filtration, which takes away some of the advantages you list, the SSV tubing allows for some huge hits while still cooling them off via the distance between bowl and lungs. In addition, the '24/7 on' feature of some of the log designs is going to result in failure of the overdriven ceramic resistor, while the SSV heating element just keeps on going like the energizer bunny. I've pretty much retired my SSV in favor of the Cloud, but for me, the log vape and a big hitter, whether it's the Cloud or SSV, are complementary, unless I'm using water filtration on the log vape, which I rarely do. I prefer the short and tasty vapor path of a log stem/tube, but with that short path I'm not after lung busting hits-they're just too hot to suit me. If restricted to a single home vape, I'd choose the HI or e-nano with an all glass stem (for free flowing vapor with the larger air path), since you can add water filtration for variety, but I'll always prefer both a log type vape for convenience/ease of use, along with a big hitter, preferably set up with water filtration.

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
When I started vaping over 5 years ago, my two main goals were improved respiratory health and reducing herb consumption. My usual philosophy in buying a product is that buying a high quality product may cost more at first, but it ends up being a better VALUE in the long run.

Unfortunately, I didn't follow my own philosophy when buying my first vape, a V Tower. I know a lot of people like Arizer products, but the V Tower just didn't do the job for me and the quality of the materials, IMO, was mediocre. This turned me off to whip vaporizers.

After that, I decided to get a Volcano. At that time, the Volcano was considered by many to be the best vaporizer out there, so I took the plunge. I liked the idea of bags and the thing is built like a tank. The high quality and performance are obvious. The thing that wasn't obvious, IMO, was the taste and the supposed efficiency. I was using MORE, not less herb. After a couple of months, my lungs felt great, but my wallet was hurting, so I went back to combusting.

About 6 months ago, when I heard about the efficiency, stealth, and ease of use of log vapes, I was cautiously optimistic and decided to give vaping one more try. Purple Days and CRZ were no longer being made, so I got an Underdog. What a revelation! I didn't know direct draw could be so easy to get big hits...and TASTY! After 4 months, my lungs feel great, I get tasty vapor, and I use about 40% less than when I combusted. Needless to say, I no longer combust. :nod:

Crohnie,
Reactions: 2clicker

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I wouldn't say that at all, and I've been using both the SSV and log vapes for years. Unless you use the log vape with water filtration, which takes away some of the advantages you list, the SSV tubing allows for some huge hits while still cooling them off via the distance between bowl and lungs. In addition, the '24/7 on' feature of some of the log designs is going to result in failure of the overdriven ceramic resistor, while the SSV heating element just keeps on going like the energizer bunny. I've pretty much retired my SSV in favor of the Cloud, but for me, the log vape and a big hitter, whether it's the Cloud or SSV, are complementary, unless I'm using water filtration on the log vape, which I rarely do. I prefer the short and tasty vapor path of a log stem/tube, but with that short path I'm not after lung busting hits-they're just too hot to suit me. If restricted to a single home vape, I'd choose the HI or e-nano with an all glass stem (for free flowing vapor with the larger air path), since you can add water filtration for variety, but I'll always prefer both a log type vape for convenience/ease of use, along with a big hitter, preferably set up with water filtration.

He did say "many would say..." so I guess you're not one of the many. :p

I'm not sure what either of you mean by "obsolete". In terms of usage, the SSV will never be obsolete. As long as it works it will be doing what it was designed to do as well as it ever did. For many (there's that word again) that's the best job possible—because "best" is subjective. In terms of development, I'd agree that the SSV is obsolete. Vapourizer development has moved on and I doubt you'll see a serious new contender for the lead in the vape market that uses the SSV technology.

max

Out to lunch
I didn't use obsolete, other than to say it's not, no matter how you define it. As for the design (if that's what you mean by "development") being obsolete, I guess that depends on how you define it. New whip models, if any, are just variations on the same theme, and no vape maker is interested in a really new design that uses tubing as a delivery system. What the SSV lacks in newness though, is countered by a very high qualtiy heating element and a solid and dependable electrical system. Since the DBV has those same elements, I'd still recommend that model, without reservation, to anyone wanting a big hitting home vape at around $150.

max,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
New whip models, if any, are just variations on the same theme, and no vape maker is interested in a really new design that uses tubing as a delivery system.

This is exactly what I meant. As far as recommendations go, I don't see why you wouldn't. That's what I meant by my first take on obsolete. I really don't understand the thinking that rejects something that does a job perfectly well just because the design is old or stable.

pakalolo,

Tweek

And with a bag the flavor is all a mediocre sameness, start to finish.

I have to agree with this. I have been using my Volcano alot lately, and it's become alot more noticeable to me, that the flavour is "meh". And it makes me cough much more, in a bad way. Too much dry air mixed in there. Still have alot of fun with it, but I have enjoyed more flavourful units...like my $129 dollar FV.

cellardoor

I've heard of people combusting with logs, have any of you had any problem with that?

cellardoor,
I combust with my HI on rare occasion. Happens when you combine a really tightly packed bowl, a dirty screen, a way-too-slow draw speed and other elements that are totally avoidable.

To Max and Pakalolo, when I used the word "obsolete" in reference to the SSV, I was talking about development. What can the SSV do, aside from providing a bigger bowl size, that a HI cannot do in a smaller, lighter, more discrete, more maneuverable package?

OKcomputer,
Reactions: vorrange

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I haven't ever combusted my HI, since I stopped going over 12v. Seems to be the magic combust voltage for me.

Combustion typically happens, when you're trying to stretch out that last wispy hit, of bone dry herb.

BigDaddyVapor,

Tweek

Near the end, my PD started running hot and combusted, but up until that point it always toasted everything just right :smug:

Tweek,

Reveen

Bags are fun and novel and work very well for group sessions. I hardly ever do bags by myself though because I tend to vape slowly and ease myself into the high. The vapor condenses too fast in the bag if it's just me.

I love the bubbler/whip combo. I have to make sure the screen on my Extreme Q is squeaky clean though, because the combo of an extra-long hose and a bubbler can add quite a bit of resistance. I'm currently in the process of selling my current bubbler (Luke Wilson 15-arm) and looking for a Mobius Matrix Ion instead. Don't get me wrong, I love the Luke Wilson, just had it for awhile and looking for something new.

I forgot to mention that I hate how fast you have to replace the bag!

Reveen,

CigarSmoker

I am new to vaping but combusted for over 40 years. I selected a Da Buddha after researching here and other places on the web. I really enjoy vaping compared to combusting. Since I introduced my group to vaping several members have purchased their own as well as a group Da Buddha purchase. That being said I also own a Flight box and it has been a disappointment, I wish I had bought a Solo.

VAPE ON!

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Don't give up so fast on the MFLB. Check my Youtube. Lots of versatility. Check the thread, look at some of the stealth possibilities. :tup:

Top Bottom