Junior Dos Santos vs Cain Velasquez III - Who you got and why?

Who wins?

• Cain Velasquez

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Junior Dos Santos

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Plutonious

Seems like I'm not the only MMA fan on this board. I know for a fact @stonemonkey55 is. So, who do you think takes the trilogy this weekend guys? JDS or Cain?

This is one of the toughest fights I've had to call in awhile since the third fight could be like either the first fight, second fight, or anything in between based on the fights since then.

What I believe this fight will come down to is who can control the range and keep it where they want. JDS is going to want this fight at a boxing range where he can put his hands on Cain while Cain will either want to be on the inside, moving JDS backwards, or outside of the boxing range at more of a kickboxing range.

5 rounds is a long time for Cain to avoid JDS' kill-shot power but he proved he could do it once and Cain is definitely the fighter who executes a more varied attack in his fights (he is constantly going from kickboxing to boxing to wrestling to clinch fighting, all while attacking with strikes in some manner). Plus Cain's workrate is incredible, the only fighter who has ever had that level of workrate in the Heavyweight division was Fedor (who is not surprisingly Cain's favourite fighter, both undersized heavyweights).

This fight really is about as 50/50 you could get leading into it since they are both clearly the #1 and #2 fighters in their division by a good amount. With that said, I'll go with Cain. I think he can keep JDS on his backfoot again like he did in the last fight, preventing JDS from planting his feet to throw. JDS won't be able to establish his jab and Cain outworks and bullies him to a decision once again.

I'll add a poll just for fun.

Dr. Plutonious,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Just like you, this is a tough one for me to call, especially since the first two fights were so drastically different. I'm leadning JDS because of the fact that he had really over trained for the first fight (can't remember what issue he had but when they tested his blood, it is way over the charts for what would be normal) and up until the time Cain landed that big right, he seemed to be able to avoid the takedown.

I think that this fight will start a little slower and seeing JDS counter more and making Cain pay for his takedowns. I think Cain will get one or two before JDS lands enough to soften him up. I don't think Cain absorbs punishment all that well and JDS knows he can take a 5 round beating from Cain. I'm going with my heart (even though Cain is a bay area guy) and picking JDS by TKO RD 2. If it doesn't end by RD2, I pick Cain to win by UD

Dr. Plutonious

This is what makes this fight so exciting. Both guys are so evenly matched. Looking forward to a war!

It's unfortunate that both of them are such nice guys. I feel this match hasn't gotten as much hype because neither of them are hyping it in a way someone like Sonnen would.

Dr. Plutonious,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Yeah, both are class acts. Cain trains about 30 min from where I live so I want to root for him but for some reason, I just like JDS. He's always smiling and really liked him as a coach on TUF. That fight with Brock wou;d've been bad news for Lesnar. I'm still interested in seeing JDS and Overeem fight too.

Happy to see the flyweight on the main card but I believe that Lombard/Marquardt should replace Gonzaga/Jordan

stonemonkey55,

Dr. Plutonious

Nice to see some JDS support on this site honestly. Everyone here at my university has gone with Cain.

If these guys fought 100 times, it be close to a 50/50 split frankly. They are both going to be all-time great heavyweights.

Dr. Plutonious,

TechnicalToker

I think Cain will be the victor. First fight was a fluke. Second fight was the correct outcome. I think the issue is Cain will just keep coming. I think JDS will come out strong but Cain will last. I believe that Cain can take the punishment and survive till the end.

TechnicalToker,
Top Bottom