Job Search/Security with a Vaping Hobby..

TheResistance

I would like to start a discussion on how you guys approach job opportunities and/or keep peace of mind in maintaining your job while vaping in your free time. Obviously there are obstacles in the way for us that partake, I would like to know of your methods or philosophy on this. I would like to have my cake and eat it too, but I'm finding myself having to abstain for long periods of time, what is your method of getting around this? I'm talking about testing for employment and random testing. How do YOU make this work, I'm looking for the most reliable and comfortable way of having the best of both worlds. Thanks FC!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Lets get the preliminaries out of the way....a follicle test is game over while a urine test isn't. If the company is going to do a follicle test I either steer clear of the company or accept my fate.

It's not the companies that you know in advance will require a urine test to get a job that I worry about. It's the ones that do random testing that would keep me up at night. Random testing for me is another steer clear or accept my fate.

Urine tests that aren't random - I've beat them every time but I knew they were coming and I had a week or two to prepare. There are cleansers you can buy but I don't know how well they work because what I've found that works for me is super hydration, b-vitamins, sweat inducing exercise and fasting the first 2 days of the test preparation week. The fasting was to attempt to get my fat cells to release the liquid in the cell as the body uses the fat cell for energy. By the time the test day arrives I can drain myself of urine and cause myself to pee 5-10 minutes after drinking anything. Never take that urine test without emptying your bladder a few times first and never fill the cup with the first part of your urine flow. Worst that has happened to me was coming up with a test that was without enough urine by-product in it so they required another test which is why I don't get back to using until AFTER the test results come in. On the day of the test I drink a cup of diluted grape juice to make sure there is sufficient color.

I actually knew someone who got surprised by a random on-site test and faked passing out by falling backwards and cracking their skull on purpose. The person had a history of "swooning" so the person got away with it. Surprised me when they didn't look for a retest....ever.

420democrat

As long as they don't follicle test which I've only encountered one place that does I take the needed precautions
Most companies random or not send you to a lab to do your urine test where you are free to schedule it within reason and get to fill your cup behind closed doors... so I either get urine from a family member or buy synthetic the day of the test
Keep it body temp sign up for my test wait till I'm called fill the cup with the alternative urine and urinate myself into the toilet
Pass test every time and lose 0 sleep over my habits
Follicle test is game over

TheResistance

Yes, the hair test is absolutely a tough one. I've heard of cleansing shampoos and bleaching/ re-dying your hair but you really never know with that type of stuff since there's not really a big market like urine products, so not much feedback from consumers.

I've used the dilution method many times for upcoming tests that I've known about, about three weeks ago was the latest. As soon as she seen the cup, she said it was definitely diluted and it was pretty much water, and that it was the clearest urine she's seen in her 26 years...no re-test and I completed the job with no randoms (un-named, high security plant). I've actually had similar situations more than a few times. Seems as if they can't do much about color, even though I've read otherwise in lot of forums and websites.

Now randoms is a different story, packing a bottle around everyday on your person seems to be the best way. As long as someone could think of a way for it to be comfortable and out of the way for daily use (not in your boot everyday, eventually causes rash and in some situations very uncomfortable).

I may consider passing out last resort hahaha!

420democrat

Have you guys had employers actually test you onsite in the moment level of random? All big companies I work for say "random" but give me a scheduled day to go the local clinic and do it... I can't really see employers out of law enforcement just making you piss on the spot

420democrat,
Reactions: Squiby

420democrat

Agreed it is a violation of privacy and has fuck all to do with whether or not you can work there. Let your performance on the job decide
Absolutely man. It's like my employer asking my sexual preference or my favorite ice cream not to mention a alchoholic is so much more likely to bring troubles to the work place and most hard drug users won't be found via uranalisis it's literally just catching consumers of cannabis and discriminating against them

TheResistance

Have you guys had employers actually test you onsite in the moment level of random? All big companies I work for say "random" but give me a scheduled day to go the local clinic and do it... I can't really see employers out of law enforcement just making you piss on the spot

If you work construction like I do, they will give you a quick check cup on the spot, nuclear plants and some refineries have their own on-site lab. Don't get me wrong, nobody that I know is walking into a plant like that stoned, but I'm talking specifically off duty recreation.

420democrat

If you work construction like I do, they will give you a quick check cup on the spot, nuclear plants and some refineries have their own on-site lab. Don't get me wrong, nobody that I know is walking into a plant like that stoned, but I'm talking specifically off duty recreation.
Never thought of that I worked construction a good portion of my life and as we both know it was usually just accepted that most construction workers had habits of some sort or another
Nuclear plants and stuff never came to mind either
I believe most of us who consume cannabis and lead normal working lives would never walk into the work place stoned
Even now that I work in the industry (kind of) and run a smoke shop chain I don't come into work stoned
It's just un professional

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
The only company I've run into that does/did random tests on-site also had a pharmacy on-site. I don't know if it's a coincidence but the location where the random on-site test occurred was also having managerial issues due to alcoholism. You were informed as part of the hiring process that they did random on-site testing. The random test didn't occur until 5 years of employment had passed and other sites being randomly tested were far and few between. I don't have to tell you that the staff were really surprised when the location was invaded by a 2 corporate types and one nurse. Everyone except one employee who was tasked with working the front register was asked to congregate at the back while the nurse worked each person through the test. One corporate type sat with the manager and one sat with those congregating at the back. Those on the second and third shift were excluded. The person who faked passing out was cleaning up some inventory before heading back with the rest and simply went down. There was blood everywhere but it didn't require stitches.

I know I was being insensitive but I couldn't help but LMAO when the faker suggested bypassing going to the ER or a minute clinic after being sent home even when specifically told she needed to come back to work with a doctor note the next day. Just didn't want to go to a doctor fearing the doctor might figure it out.

Gotta give credit where it's due though....way to take one for the team.

TheResistance

Even now that I work in the industry (kind of) and run a smoke shop chain I don't come into work stoned
It's just un professional

Now that takes some serious professionalism, I think if I ran a smoke shop I'd do the occasional toke (light) on a Friday before work haha. Props to you though!

420democrat

Now that takes some serious professionalism, I think if I ran a smoke shop I'd do the occasional toke (light) on a Friday before work haha. Props to you though!
I mean I might cheat with my vape from time to time but for the most part I try to keep it separate
Now when I ran a paint company that was different and kind of where I learned being ripped all day every day really takes away from it
For me anyways

Danksta

You can buy real urine online too that has been dehydrated. That's what I'd use if I had to. I've heard the drinks are hit and miss and they test for masking agents.

TheResistance

You can buy real urine online too that has been dehydrated. That's what I'd use if I had to. I've heard the drinks are hit and miss and they test for masking agents.

That's actually what I'm leaning towards getting, I like the idea of having something similar to quick fix for randoms (already mixed and ready to go) and something more "real" like test-clear for pre-employment.

TheResistance,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I'm going to abstain for the first six months of my new job. Once I'm settled in and have a better idea of how the company operates and what my role is likely to throw at me.

I'll be back on my cannabis routine after that as it's my life and cannabis is my preference.

I plan on keeping a batch of QuickFix on hand in case I'm pulled in for an impromptu test. I expect I'll spend most of my time at client sites so will only really be at risk when called into the main office, that should drastically cut down how often I'll have to tote around a bottle of fake piss.

P. S. Thank you to @mephisto for suggesting QuickFix.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I've had BIG corporate jobs, small companies - one of those put me in places like nuclear submarines and Medium-Maximum Security prisons in US, also big pharma physician conferences in swanky places. Liked all the travel until kids showed up? My last job, my bosses knew about my medicine and absolutely didn't care because my performance often reflected well on them. Truth is, cannabis allowed me to work as long as I was able to. Anyway, never been tested randomly or as condition of employment. Maybe if I did something stupid or wrecked something, I might have. But I don't believe that was the case. I guess drug-testing really is that prevalent, I thought this creepy practice was in decline. It seems I was wrong. Requesting the map to join @Hjalmark in the woods!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
When cannabis became legal in WA state I noticed how private companies are testing more for employment. Also law inforcement is testing more often as well. I guess they figure they need to be on guard. So be careful what you wish for. To be honest I think I liked it better when we had just medical. I do like that the product is tested better for chemicals and mold.

If you work for the county, city or state you don't need to worry unless you operate a large truck, bus or machine.

My brother in law was a fireman for 35 years and never was tested for cannabis. He just retired 3 years ago. It may have changed. It depends where you work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom