• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Isopropyl Alcohol - Dangers?

aspire2b

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Im looking for some advice if possible.

A week ago, while cleaning my vapcap, I accidentally splashed some 99.9% ISO onto my nose and upper lip.

I quickly ran to the bathroom to wash it off but unfortunately had to take a little breath through my nose.

I could obviously feel the sharp odour entering my nose, although I believe it was vapour.

My question is, is this any cause for concern?

Ive been reading some things online about potential problems associated with it and Im a bit concerned.

Reason is, I currently have some strange spots on my throat and Im waiting on the results of a throat swab from my doctor.

Would really appreciate any knowledge on the subject,

Many thanks,

aspire2b

Thanks for your quick response @Mr. Gweilo 420

Are you really that sure?

I understand I may be being a bit irrational, as I don't feel well, but reading the MSDS sheets, there "CAN" be some serious side effects at certain exposures.

Trouble is, I have no idea to what level of exposure (e.g. PPM) sometimes the vapour in the room i use for cleaning has been quite strong (i.e. I've warmed the ISO - lukewarm).

Safe exposure limit seems to be 500 PPM of vapour however with the 'splash' I worry I may have went over it. As I have no way of knowing the PPM in the room.

And the direct splash worries me more.

I may be freaking out over nothing, I hope I am. :lol:

edited: Safe Working Limit - 500PPM

Last edited:
aspire2b,

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
ups, got a digit wrong sry ^^ - but working limit is for longer timeframes than vc cleaning i'd say...
Iso kills bacteria by dehydration, that's what i can say - in the end your doc is gonna know what to do and he didn't send u in the hospital ;)

aspire2b

Thanks @Used2use

yeah thats for 15mins, probably about right however my kitchen is about 2.5 x 3.5 x 2.5 and try to have window open. Im not too concerned about the general vapour in the room to be honest.

Its more the splash up my nose I'm worried about.

I didn't actually tell the doc as I only thought about it last night when I was cleaning my vapcap again.

Im back next week for results so ill mention it then, fingers crossed its something straight forward.

Ive got fever and chills so Im a bit all over the place, worrying about things probably not worth worrying about.

I take it everyone on here uses ISO without any such problems?

thanks @sickmanfraud - genuinely never thought of that

Im not too worried, I guess I know its probably coincidence and just wanted a bit of comfort in the advice from you all. (similar stories - I do it it all the time, its great! lol)

Such a great community, thank you for your advice!

aspire2b,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks @Used2use

yeah thats for 15mins, probably about right however my kitchen is about 2.5 x 3.5 x 2.5 and try to have window open. Im not too concerned about the general vapour in the room to be honest.

Its more the splash up my nose I'm worried about.

I didn't actually tell the doc as I only thought about it last night when I was cleaning my vapcap again.

Im back next week for results so ill mention it then, fingers crossed its something straight forward.

Ive got fever and chills so Im a bit all over the place, worrying about things probably not worth worrying about.

I take it everyone on here uses ISO without any such problems?

thanks @sickmanfraud - genuinely never thought of that

Im not too worried, I guess I know its probably coincidence and just wanted a bit of comfort in the advice from you all. (similar stories - I do it it all the time, its great! lol)

Such a great community, thank you for your advice!
I had a really small splash in my eye once!!!! That scared me quite a bit! Really flushed like crazy. It was fine.

:lol: ... I try not to inhale the fumes directly though, and would avoid ingesting or huffing on it, however, I think this type of mild accidental exposure is nothing to be worried about (the effects, if any, would likely be acute and quickly dissipate from such a small amount)

aspire2b

Thanks @JCat much appreciated!

I seen a case of a woman who put ISO eardrops in her eye, it was pretty horrendous looking! I think there can be a danger of burning your cornea if it gets in your eye.

Im going to stop using ISO it seems a bit extreme, I switched to vaping and ecigs lately for better health and all I've done is worry since! :rofl:

I'll be sure to update when I know whats going on

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...your worrying is actually causing more bad than the iso has...

...tiny amounts of iso is fine, inhaled or ingested... its almost a daily occurrence...

...i'd do yourself a favour and stop worrying about a little drop of iso, you will feel ALOT better :nod:

...don't forget... if it doesn't kill you, it will only make you stronger...

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Im looking for some advice if possible.

A week ago, while cleaning my vapcap, I accidentally splashed some 99.9% ISO onto my nose and upper lip.

I quickly ran to the bathroom to wash it off but unfortunately had to take a little breath through my nose.

I could obviously feel the sharp odour entering my nose, although I believe it was vapour.

My question is, is this any cause for concern?

Ive been reading some things online about potential problems associated with it and Im a bit concerned.

Reason is, I currently have some strange spots on my throat and Im waiting on the results of a throat swab from my doctor.

Would really appreciate any knowledge on the subject,

Many thanks,
Do U believe U will live 4-ever?

Tranquility

Im going to stop using ISO it seems a bit extreme, I switched to vaping and ecigs lately for better health and all I've done is worry since!
You're going to need a solvent to clean things--what will you use? Something someone came up with recently or something that has been used by the community for 50+ years?

Is ISO "safe"? No. You could have a lot of problems from an extreme exposure or a very specific exposure to sensitive areas. Jumping in a vat of ISO is discouraged.

Using it to clean things every once in a while? I suspect the drug warriors would have included any deaths from cleaning paraphernalia with ISO in the cannabis statistics. Let me check.....nope, still no deaths.

I use gloves when cleaning things. Not so much for safety purposes, but for aesthetic purposes. It is really hard to clean (And, moisturize.) your hands after they've been covered with ISO with dissolved oils in it. I suppose you could use a mask and safety goggles, and a exhaust hood, if you were really worried.

However, millions have done what you have done without problem. Remember that vaping mitigates risk, it does not remove it. At some point, in some way, you will have to determine the risk you find acceptable. I don't think you'll find eliminating ISO from cleaning practices is going to serve you well.

aspire2b

Thanks @OldNewbie I'm starting to believe I've got myself worked up over nothing.

Im sure if a small, single exposure caused anything like this we'd know about it, ten fold!

Im not choosing to worry, just scared I suppose. Feel a bit silly now.

Really appreciate all the replies though, what a great crowd!

:peace::love::leaf:

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
It's possible to even get drunk on iso and survive. Of course that would be much more shitty and unhealthy than getting drunk on ethanol and anyone who tried that would discourage you from drinking that.
But if those people survived, you can be totally fine inhaling few drops.

aspire2b

Yeah I'm not worrying about dying from it @Seek but I know what your getting at.

I hopefully have a long time ahead of me and don't want to be hindered by health issues if its unavoidable, regardless of severity. Am I becoming responsible??? :o

I do appreciate all your replies, you have made me feel a lot better!

I think what scared me the most, is that I never knew about how hazardous it could potentially be until now. Embarrassed more likely.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Wow @RUDE BOY for her sake I hope she wears gloves when using the ISO. I much prefer coconut oil for massages.

She does. From what I was told rubbing alcohol helps with opening up blood flow and relieving muscle tension, real rubbing alcohol includes lanolin and some scent too but she does a rubdown with lotion after to keep my skin from drying out and flaking off.

If it was just sensual massage coconut oil is perfect, for the therapy she's doing not so much.

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
Isopropyl alcohol is harmful.
I would recommend cleaning our tools with food alcohol (the one used for cooking, preparing cocktails, etc.).
In this way, it can be stored and then evaporated and other resin is obtained. :myday:

TiSteamo,
Reactions: Poostuff

Poostuff

Please delete
I hope the OP has just had a shower already & isn’t still waiting for advice on this one, but it’s really nice that you’re helping.

Poostuff,
Reactions: acstorfer

Baron23

It's funny but I go to a physical therapist who still believes in using rubbing alcohol for deep massage work, If smelling or inhaling ISO fumes is dangerous she's surely trying to kill me.
Yeah, no shit...right?

And, while I understand I'm older and probably have more medical event experiences than a younger person, I wonder that the OP has never seen ISO used in medical situations for tape glue removal and a thousand other things.

@aspire2b

No, you don't want to drink it.

No, you don't want to sit in an enclosed place with a lot of ISO evaporating

But I would worry more about the fumes you are inhaling waiting for a bus on an urban street corner in the summer than the bit you were exposed to.

If you have spots on your throat and feel bad, I would suspect strep before ISO poisoning.

Got to strive to keep this stuff in perspective, yeah?

hweezi

formally cwheezy
They say if you overdose on ISO you can't smell it anymore. So if you could still smell it you're fine.

hweezi,

Brewervapesalot

I use the cheapest, strongest, bottom shelf vodka in spray bottles as a sanitizer when cleaning keg and brewery parts that I dont have time or ability to properly clean and sanitize.

Iso I believe is made from wood. It is poison. But also evaporates quickly and completely.

Brewervapesalot,
Reactions: Squiby
Top Bottom