ISO Question

Minging

Hey folks quick question is this ISO Ok for reclaiming and cleaning?
Are there going to be any nasties in the oil

Minging,

weedemon

enthusiast
for using as reclaim and cleaning, i would say that is good to go. I can't read the ingredients, but 99.9% is very pure. usually the rest if just water.

most forum members in the states cant even get 99 they get 91% in the stores down there.

that costs about twice as much as the stuff i buy from my local pharmacy though.

weedemon,

weedemon

enthusiast
yep for sure!

jsut so you knowwhat the ingreditents on my bottles say:

isopropyl alcohol 99% v/v, and water. that's it.

weedemon,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I still don't get what exactly you guys call ISO exactly.

I thought it was rubbing alcohol of 90% or higher with the added bittering agents to prevent people from drinking it. If so, do those add-ons disappear completely when evaporating it off when reclaiming?

I buy my stuff for reclaiming at a pharmacy out of fear for the bittering agent. It's 99% pure and the other one % is just water, but it is really expensive. Like 9 euro's per 200ml :o

OhTheAgony,

weedemon

enthusiast
OhTheAgony said:
I still don't get what exactly you guys call ISO exactly.

I thought it was rubbing alcohol of 90% or higher with the added bittering agents to prevent people from drinking it. If so, do those add-ons disappear completely when evaporating it off when reclaiming?

I buy my stuff for reclaiming at a pharmacy out of fear for the bittering agent. It's 99% pure and the other one % is just water, but it is really expensive. Like 9 euro's per 200ml :o

damn dude, i pay 3.99 cdn for a 500ml bottle of the same thing!

weedemon,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm actually happy I can get it all, I thought it was totally illegal over here at first & was planning to go to France or Germany to get some. But yeah, that is a ridiculous price for something I would much rather buy by the gallon. It's also the main reason I use a brush, soap an hot watter to give my glass it's daily cleansing, I only use the expensive stuff for vaporizer wands and such.

So you wouldn't use the stuff with the added bittering agent for reclaiming as well?

OhTheAgony,

weedemon

enthusiast
nah i'm of the opinion I want it as pure as possible! f' that noise about willingly having contaminants in my product!

weedemon,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
2zsxv02.jpg

I just cleaned out a really 'claimed up bong, vapor whip/elbow and grinder with iso and this is what I got :p

1.35g

MarcellusWiley,

2clicker

Observer
wanted to post this for assurance. this is the label on the ISO that I use. active ingredient is ISO 91%. inactive ingredient is water. thats all i need to worry about yeah?

photo1.jpg

the only reason im posting this is because the yield from reclaiming my glass, grinder, and screens always tastes "chemically". im quite certain i am letting it evap properly. it gets me highly medicated, but the taste really bothers me. is the taste inevitable?

2clicker,

stroh

errl enthusiast
yes the taste from iso is inevitable, i hear using ethanol produces better results taste-wise

stroh,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
I would only use the evercleqr to make a tincture, something to be drunk rather than inhaled. All of the ingredients other than the alcohol are going to contaminate your concentrate. Have you ever seen sugar burn? It would make a big mess of your equipment.

That's why 99.9% iso is ideal because iso evaporates easily, and the water does as well. So theoretically your concentrate should be pure after the evaporation cycle. However, since other people have noticed the chemically taste I can only guess that it's either impossible to fully evaporate the iso, or the iso somehow "stains" the concentrate leaving an aftertaste effect.

notmyrealUSERname,

2clicker

Observer
unfortunately i dont have access to 99.9% ISO. only 91%. ill just have to live with the chem taste i suppose. sucks

2clicker,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
on the same boat as you! Going to test my QWISO in about 4 hours! Hope i didn't fuck it up with the taste :/

sessnet,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I like qwiso done with this process: QWISO

I 'believe' that with the chilling then re mild heat purge process shown that it assists in getting any trapped alcohol AND water out of the extraction. The key, in my understanding, is the long slow purge.

smokum,

stroh

errl enthusiast
the ice serves absolutely no purpose, that would only extend your purge process. speaking of qwiso though, im about to do a wash on butane ran nugs since i still dont have an extractor and i am all out of other buds, and im NOT about to smoke or vape butaned nuggets :p

stroh,

Minging

stroh said:
the ice serves absolutely no purpose, that would only extend your purge process. speaking of qwiso though, im about to do a wash on butane ran nugs since i still dont have an extractor and i am all out of other buds, and im NOT about to smoke or vape butaned nuggets :p

Just done quick iso wash too :) that honey coloured goodness ........
Thats sunday sorted :lol:
I will try and remember to take pics this time.....

Minging,

2clicker

Observer
to clarify, the chem taste im talking about is from when i reclaim glass and/or do a grinder soak. i have never used ISO on flowers.

actually i havent done any of this for a while because of the taste. made me worry so i stopped. kinda want to try it again though. so whats causing the ISO taste? if its just ISO and water then where is the taste coming from?

2clicker,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
If your talking about from combusting glass,..... after seeing whats collected in a carbon filter attachment, and the smell alone of whats trapped, I myself certainly won't be partaking in reclaim anymore from that scenario and would suspect that the tars alone is what you are tasting, and gawd knows what else is being concentrated from bi product residuals.

From my vape toy glass stems, I also found I had a slight 'odd' taste (obviously not as bad as above mentioned), but not from grinder/dry ice kief. So what I've been doing now is letting my glass stems and hand press cleaning soak in ISO, and use 'that' ISO to make a QWISO from larger dry ice and/or grinder kief and flower runs where I don't perceive it as much.

I do find concentrates in general to have a powerful taste in comparison to herb or kief alone, and I suspect that as like the other concentrated (particularly the flavinoids <--spelling ? ) product to be present and slightly overpower to my tastebuds.

^^ Just a personal perspective without factual data, but it works for me.

smokum,

2clicker

Observer
my combustion days are over. so im talking about vapor glass, grinder, and screens. these are the items that i reclaim from. the grinder has only been soaked once. im trying to figure out a better way to get only the insides of the grinder. i dont want the dirt and oils that have collected on the outside to get into my yield.

i also use rubber stoppers when reclaiming my DBV wands and my custom slides. that way i can clean just the inside of the glass. screens get soaked for weeks at a time. ive got about 10 screens in rotation and after they are used they get tossed into a small jar of ISO.

after soaking all of the ISO gets poured into a small pyrex dish to evap. i put it in my basement next to a window with a fan blowing over it towards the window. i let this go on for hours. when the ISO evaps i scrape it up. some of it is very oily and some is more semi-solid to solid. and all of it tastes like chems.

is there another step i can do to try to get any traces of ISO that could be left?

2clicker,
Top Bottom