ISO or Everclear

2clicker

Observer
weedemon, can you comment on my last question/s above?

also, how long of a soak would you do for an .oz of ABV?

2clicker,

weedemon

enthusiast
certainly :)

well the first sign is a smell change. it no longer smells like alcohol, and now it should smell pretty good instead. it also looks thick at this point. not much else is going on, and I still like to keep purging for another 15 min after i have noticed the smell change. then I`ll bring it inside. and depending on how i and feeling about it i will do an oven purge at the lowest temp I can for 30 min. or i might just scrape it up and give it a test. doing it this way has never let me down yet.

As for soaking your abv. I recommend making bho out of it first and then re-dissolving your concentrate into ethanol and then filter. Finally finishing with a re-purge.

If your gonna do it with iso or even just ethanol then i would recommend a water cure on the abv first. this will remove a lot of the nasties from your source material before you add iso to it.

Quick wash is usually done in 30 seconds right? So i would stick with that personally. but really though do bho first, then ethanol extraction on the bho you made.

the oil i have from that is method is outstanding. please see my last post in this thread for more info http://www.fuckcombustion.com/threads/qwethanol-safety.4696/page-3

weedemon,
Reactions: EyeFonez

2clicker

Observer
certainly :)

If your gonna do it with iso or even just ethanol then i would recommend a water cure on the abv first. this will remove a lot of the nasties from your source material before you add iso to it.

thanks blood, but im not really wanting to go the whole butane route. im going to do 2 runs. one is with 4g of some fresh flowers and another of about 29g of ABV.

how exactly does the water cure work?

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
pantyhose... :dog:

serially tho, what about just soaking it and straining it with coffee filters each time? are the pantyhose essential?

2clicker,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think the panyhose makes it easier to keep the abv from floating on top of the water and makes changing your water much simpler. That's the way I understand it anyway. I've never actually tried it.
:peace:

Stu,

weedemon

enthusiast
thanks blood, but im not really wanting to go the whole butane route. im going to do 2 runs. one is with 4g of some fresh flowers and another of about 29g of ABV.

how exactly does the water cure work?

I have never done the water cure on buds, only on abv. but the contact with the water naturally extracts the water soluble parts of the matter. make sure you change the water every day!!! if you don`t things will start to grow, and then you will have ruined your batch!

I don`t think I would water cure my buds. but for the abv i did improve the taste. see my avb concentrate experiment and see what you think. I have more details about the procedure too!

Ahh i see stu already linked ya to it :) thx bro :)

pantyhose are simply a giant teabag to contain it all. not needed at all. jsut less mess and makes things easier!

weedemon,

ioright

Cloud Connoisseur
Any word on the difference in results between QWISO and EHO?

I have a good amount of trim coming my way soon so I will be making a bunch of ISO in the near future (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I have found these tips useful to decrease the time spent filtering.
  • Put bud and ISO in the freezer for 30 minutes before extraction
  • Less agitation is better when soaking (~30seconds max)
  • Using a coffee press will help the overall straining process while ensuring ISO is properly squeezed out of the bud
  • Filter through a reusable mesh coffee filter before using standard paper coffee filters
I did two strains with standard coffee filters on my last ABV run. This resulted in a nicely golden colored solution that was semi-translucent while sitting in a measuring cup. When the mixture is poured out onto a Pyrex you can easily see through the solution. After scraping however, the product still comes out to a black goop.
I guess I am hoping that someone can give me tips on how to get a clearer final product while using ISO. My next few runs will be using quality trim so I would like as clean a final product as possible.
Here are my ideas for improvement (let me know what you think):
  • Only soak bud for ~20 seconds
  • Purchase a very fine micron screen to strain solution through prior to standard coffee filter (to decrease overall contact time in solution)
  • Allow ISO to evaporate on its own without assistance from a hairdryer
I believe I saw someone post a picture of a hard yellow shatter they produced with ISO, I would love to know how that is possible to achieve. My black goop works well, but I would like something of a bit more quality given that I have a Revolution on its way:tup:
Sorry for the life story. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to respond to my amateur questions. Any tips or suggestions will be graciously accepted.

ioright,
Reactions: darkrom

2clicker

Observer
so i went ahead and did the water bath to an oz. of abv. with pantyhose and i must have done something wrong.

after everything was strained properly i had a liquid that looked great. it was a nice amber color and i thought i would get a good return... that was until i saw the liquid about half way through the evap process. it had film on the top of it and the color had changed to a beige mustard color. wtf?

did something go wrong during my water bath?

i changed the water everyday. should i have wrung the abv pouch out each time? i didnt because i noticed that when i was, that small particles were making their way through the panty hose. there was alot of powdery abv in there and i didnt want to lose some each time i changed the water. so instead i just would pull the pouch out, dump water from jar, refill, and put the pouch back in.

then when i came time to wash i figured i wouldnt put the abv in the oven to remove residual water. i figured what harm could the water do...? its only going to add time to my evap process...? i must have been wrong.

so did i totally ruin my .oz of abv errl?

ill try an post a pic later this evening. the film floating on top half way through the evap worries me. as does the color.

2clicker,

stroh

errl enthusiast
the odd film is actually the excess water separating from the alcohol, and sitting on top as the viscosity differs between water and alcohol.

as far as maintaining a more pure end product with ISO, the only trick is really soak for as short a time as possible. Being a polar solvent, alcohol will always extract more unwanted materials such as chlorophyll, tannins, plant material, etc. than using a nonpolar solvent. The longer the bud is soaking in the alcohol, the more unwanted impurities you are going to absorb. the picture in my avatar is some ISO shatter.

ioright

Cloud Connoisseur
Did you use anything in particular to purge the ISO? I will usually evaporate most of the ISO off with a blow-dryer before putting it in the oven for 5 minutes. Then I put it into the freezer to harden and scrape easier.

That ISO shatter looks beautiful :drool:

ioright,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i used a combination of double boiling and oven purge, same tech as my butane extractions, just takes a lot longer.

stroh,

2clicker

Observer
the odd film is actually the excess water separating from the alcohol, and sitting on top as the viscosity differs between water and alcohol.

so its not ruined? i left it out, covered by a screen, and checked on it tonight. there is more water in there than i thought. there is a nice oil ring around the edges but the liquid that is left is a cloudy light brown color. almost looks like chocolate milk but light.

im not sure how long the rest of the water will take to evap. should i dump this stuff? it looks gross. im afraid something happened to it during the waterbath process.

2clicker,

stroh

errl enthusiast
just let it sit out for a few days, im guessing there was a decent amount of water in it, and that will make it take muuuch longer to evaporate, i once claimed one of my rigs using only hot water, and the evap time was literally 3 to 4 days before i said fuck it and boiled it off.

stroh,

WildBill

Somewhere on ebay is a gallon of 99+ iso for $24 I think the industrials are all above 99.5

WildBill,

EyeFonez

Herb Roaster
I recommend making bho out of it first and then re-dissolving your concentrate into ethanol and then filter. Finally finishing with a re-purge.

Made some de-lish shatter using this method with 99% ISO, would deffinitely recommend.:D

Edit: The only thing I didn't do was filter after the etho re-dissolve (or in my case ISO). Would that be necessary weedemon? Say if you were to have a clean dish and used 2 coffee filters for the bho run I'm not sure what you would you be filtering out at that point. Sorry if that's a dumb question, I just like to be thorough.:p

EyeFonez,

weedemon

enthusiast
it's amazing actually (Well i think the chemistry of it is anyways..)

if you take you bho, dissolve it in ethanol, and shake it up like crazy [I use glass mason jars to do this] so it's totally dissolves (add more ethanol if it doesn't) now let it sit. when you have let it sit you might me surprised to see a whole cloudy precipitate floating in suspension in your ethanol mixture. when you filter the solution you will remove this stuff. it's actually the fats and waxes that have come out of the solution.

this is why i do the ethanol extraction on the butane. i end up with a more pure product as i did actually remove something.

be warned though doing an ethanol run on your bho will also diminish the taste and smell of your oils. this is why i love to do it on abv oil because there isn't must taste or smell to begin with anymore.

first run bho I am waiting on doing a proper run to then do more ethanol testing regarding quality and taste.

I prefer ethanol over iso because i always have a taste that's left over every time i use iso and i don't like that taste i detect. Ethanol strips flavour off but i think it also leaves me with oils that are more taffy like rather than runnier like iso will do for me.

just my experience. I much prefer butane as my solvent and stopped working with iso a while ago.

weedemon,

Evry1concentrate

It's 7:10, maryjane you better concentrate.
I'm all ISO !!! Something about butain and my natural herbs that dosent click for me considering even after the best vacuumed perge there are still traces left, we don't know yet if it's gonna cause problems later? Alcahol I can justify because I very well may be having a cold beer while doing my pulls ( probably not, I drink like once a year just to remind myself why I don't drink) anyway ISO the properties can't survive a double boiler for more than 5 min, and I can watch it all disappear. And even if there was a chance of any alcahol being left ? I just don't give a fuck:-) and with the way i chain smoke cigaretts i could care less about trases of butain either considering I breath in a nice puff every time I lite one. Now is where I let you in on the secrete ( which isn't really a secrete and there's probably a forum on here ? If not I'll write the process out and start one) go buy an aeropress for making coffee, only add the ISO(91% or higher alcahol will always be semi-polar) for 10 seconds with a rough stirr clip on your 350 micron filters and push. I can go from flower to heating the TI in 25 min doing 3 pulls. And I get amber glass, maybe a little darker, but don't drop that shit or it's gonna shatter into a million pieces !

Evry1concentrate,
Top Bottom