Is vaporizing REALLY healthier for you?

jawsh

So what do you guys think? I know there have been studies done with the VOLCANO showing that the vapor it produces is much more healthy for you than smoke, and contains much much less carcinogens and toxins.... but I use a PD, and most people don't use a volcano because its too expensive.

So, really... how health is vaporizing? I mean I get HUGE rips off my PD that mimic smoke, but it is no where near as harsh as smoke is. Also, I like to think of myself as quite physically active, and I notice my cardio to be a lot better now that I use a vaporizer. But they are still HUGE rips.

What do you guys think? Are the PD/MZ/WDZ really healthy for ya or do we just think its healthier for us and that makes us sleep better @ night lol.

Any input would be great

jawsh,

lwien

As long as you keep the temp below combustion and as long as the vape in question is not releasing any toxins due to materials in it's manufacture, than yes, vaporizing is healthier for you.

lwien,

Beezleb

Compared to smoking, I say as long as you do not combust. I do not believe vaping at higher but non combustion temps are realistically bad for you in the big picture of things. Its not like your sucking on the end of a muffler tail pipe or anything.

Beezleb,

vape4health

I cut my amount per week in half , that HAS to be better for me . My gf and I can feel a huge difference in our lungs .

vape4health,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I would like to see some studies on this as well. That would be kind of neat (hell, Ill be the guinea pig)

But I would be willing to bet my right testicle (its broken anyway) that vaping is in fact (oh whats the medical buzz phrase - oh yeah) "Less Harmful" than smoking or combustion of any kind. One thing that combustion produces is CO. (Carbon Monoxide) If this is true of vaporization as well, I would be willing to then bet my left nut too that the levels are close to nonexistant.

Im no scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
And I vape

AGBeer,
Reactions: YaMon

Beezleb

AGBeer said:
I would like to see some studies on this as well. That would be kind of neat (hell, Ill be the guinea pig)

But I would be willing to bet my right testicle (its broken anyway) that vaping is in fact (oh whats the medical buzz phrase - oh yeah) "Less Harmful" than smoking or combustion of any kind. One thing that combustion produces is CO. (Carbon Monoxide) If this is true of vaporization as well, I would be willing to then bet my left nut too that the levels are close to nonexistant.

Im no scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
And I vape
No need to write anything else after you said you stayed at the holiday inn express last night hehe. Havent seen one of those commercials in awhile.

My lungs love it.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
I know there have been studies done with the VOLCANO showing that the vapor it produces is much more healthy for you than smoke, and contains much much less carcinogens and toxins.... but I use a PD, and most people don't use a volcano because its too expensive.
So you think maybe the Volcano has some special properties and benefits to it's vapor that other models don't have? No, it doesn't. Vapor is healthier than smoke, period.

So, really... how health is vaporizing?
You mean vs. smoking? My own personal experience tells me it's much healthier than smoking, and you seem to notice the benefits as well. Is it healthier than inhaling only fresh, clean air? Probably not, although there are reports that cannabis can have healthful benefits, including cancer fighting properties.

max,

west-elec

High temp vaporizing (and taking big thick hits) is no more harmful than low temp, except for the effect of hotter vapour on throat and lungs. Cool the vapour and it is only a matter of preference. As long as you stay below combustion you are doing your body a huge benefit compared to smoking.
I prefer a good high calorie heater that can clear 0.2g in 1 hit. That way you are getting all terps and flavs in the load, at the same time as all the medicinals. Why bother with whispy 1st hits, so so second hits and poor tasting third hits, when you can do it all in one.
Even vaping you need to respect the cough. If you are coughing after every hit you are probably taking in too much. Back it off a pinch and see if you can keep it just below lung busting. I wouldn't think pushing your lung to cough repeatedly could be healthy long term.

west-elec,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
High temp vaporizing (and taking big thick hits) is no more harmful than low temp, except for the effect of hotter vapour on throat and lungs. Cool the vapour and it is only a matter of preference. As long as you stay below combustion you are doing your body a huge benefit compared to smoking.
I prefer a good high calorie heater that can clear 0.2g in 1 hit. That way you are getting all terps and flavs in the load, at the same time as all the medicinals. Why bother with whispy 1st hits, so so second hits and poor tasting third hits, when you can do it all in one.
Even vaping you need to respect the cough. If you are coughing after every hit you are probably taking in too much. Back it off a pinch and see if you can keep it just below lung busting. I wouldn't think pushing your lung to cough repeatedly could be healthy long term.
Well i think that most of what you said is very subjective. You make that claim based on your feelings,mine are quite the opposite :) . Are you familiar with all the compounds/chemicals present in your herb . Over boiling/ overcooking oils is harmful .
IMO best judges of harmful effects are people with sensible respiratory systems,they are like princess and the Pea. Often healthy people and people who have abused their system with years long smoking have fried sensors and larger tolerance for pain and irritation. It is like saying it is better for the lungs to do high temp dabs vs low temp ones,there is a lot of info/discussion online on the subject.I for once cannot handle overboiled terpenes and oils, it makes me sick and i am dead sure it is harmful. Same goes with overcooked food. There are many compounds with low smoking points,but one has to feel the difference in order to understand it :).
All that being said there are vaporizers perfectly capable of delivering thick hits at low to medium temps. High temp vaporizing doesnt do shit for me other than adding benzene and making other compounds more irritating/harmful.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Compared to smoking: Much better. Compared to not smoking and not vaping: Much worse. Not lung cancer worse, but more mild but still distressing and even long term symptoms.

I haven't smoked a cigarette in 7 years or dope in 6 years. But if I vape too much, I'll start wheezing and coughing. Sometimes I am forced to take a break and will either stop for a few days or use edibles. Putting anything other than air into one's lungs, particularly resinous vapor, can cause issues. Its night and day, smoking to vaping; and its night and day vaping to non-vaping.

shredder

If anyone is concerned medibles are a good option. And more stealthy and economical as well.

For a year now I've cut back on vaping and started eating cannabis more. I go weeks without vaping. But I medicate daily.

The bottom line is I feel much better. My wheezing at night is gone. I cough a lot less, and I don't have to carry around a vape.

I'm not trying to influence anyone and sometimes I do miss vaping, but I feel this is what's right for me.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Look at the gunk on your vape. Look at the "reclaim" coating every surface of your bubbler. Think about what it takes to clean the vape or bubbler. Then think about that same material coating your lungs. I hope this isn't too logical. As to the expectorant effect of cannabis, its minor compared to the effect of putting resinous foreign substances into ones lungs. I'm not being critical: I've smoked or vaped dope for probably 50 of the last 53 years. But let's be honest. Same thing with alcohol: It isn't the best thing for us, can be harmful, but it is so damn enjoyable that God wouldn't have created it if he didn't want us to imbibe!

florduh

I wonder if these are arguments in favor of concentrates. You're putting less steam in your lungs for the same effects. I've only done concentrates for a while, and the only time I've ever coughed in the past few years is when I had the flu.

If they made an edible option that felt like a good sativa strain, with very little body load, I'd maybe stop vaping. I don't believe that exists. Although... I do get "mouth pleasure" from vaping. It tastes good. If I replaced the "mouth pleasure" I get from vaping with Oreos, I would be in a far worse position healthwise. Even with squeaky clean lungs.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
But if I vape too much, I'll start wheezing and coughing.

Actually that's a good sign, it means your cilia are still functioning. When you smoke, they are paralyzed and won't give you a cough reaction, hence most smokers do cough up god knows what every morning (prior to their first cigarette when they haven't smoked for a few hours), but hardly during the day.

Look at the gunk on your vape. Look at the "reclaim" coating every surface of your bubbler. Think about what it takes to clean the vape or bubbler. Then think about that same material coating your lungs.

It's not coating our lungs – some oils indeed would do that, but the oils discussed here will be absorbed.

All I can say is that my lung capacity and function and overall health made a huge progress since I switched to vaping (vaporizers & e cigs). When I was still smoking, I was able to have three 10km run exercises per week, period. It was fun, but all that I was capable to do regularly. Last week I did my first 15k run and it felt great. My average pace has jumped from ~11.5k/h to 12.5k/h. I'm planning to have my first half marathon sometime in spring. That's just anecdotal of course.

Some more science stuff:

Last edited:

Kins

What about the claims that you could be or are inhaling toxic metals into your lungs when vaping?. Or the e-cig based "electronic dab rigs", or any of the other chemicals you could be inhaling from off-gasing?.

Kins,

shopdognyc

@Kins this is all too new to know for sure. Even claims that ecig are bad for you, seem to be misfounded. Putting flame to herb on fire combusting is far worse for the carcinogens that are released versus vaporizing.

If you are worried about toxic chemicals from vaporizing, best to just avoid those with a higher chance.

You could go to all steel or titanium for flower with ecoil, and glass for concentrates.

howie105

So what do you guys think? I know there have been studies done with the VOLCANO showing that the vapor it produces is much more healthy for you than smoke, and contains much much less carcinogens and toxins.... but I use a PD, and most people don't use a volcano because its too expensive.

So, really... how health is vaporizing? I mean I get HUGE rips off my PD that mimic smoke, but it is no where near as harsh as smoke is. Also, I like to think of myself as quite physically active, and I notice my cardio to be a lot better now that I use a vaporizer. But they are still HUGE rips.

What do you guys think? Are the PD/MZ/WDZ really healthy for ya or do we just think its healthier for us and that makes us sleep better @ night lol.

Any input would be great
Don't exspect objective responses on a board populated by vape users. Its like riding your Honda to a HD rally

shredder

Here is a simple unscientific vapor test.

Inhale vapor through a tissue. Then exhale through a tissue.
Then inhale without a tissue, but exhale through a tissue.
It can be an eye opener.

That is why I quit vaping herb. Well that and my personal experiences.

My tissue test showed lots of particulates in herb vapor and less in concentrate vapor. IME concentrate vapor bothered me less as well.

But I also have asthma, I worked for years as a welder, and worked in and around asbestos. 3 strikes as it were.

Not vaping is just better for me. But not necessarily what's best for you.

If your like me, I love jumping into new rabbit holes. My newest is medibles. So I have lots of medible choices.

Even powdered marijuana to mix in liquids. Medibles with terpenes. Never diss terps, lol. Medibles in all kinds of oils and alcohol. Sky's the limit.

I'm climbing the same mountain, but just taking another path.

west-elec

Well i think that most of what you said is very subjective. You make that claim based on your feelings,mine are quite the opposite :) . Are you familiar with all the compounds/chemicals present in your herb . Over boiling/ overcooking oils is harmful .
IMO best judges of harmful effects are people with sensible respiratory systems,they are like princess and the Pea. Often healthy people and people who have abused their system with years long smoking have fried sensors and larger tolerance for pain and irritation.
You are probably right and I have built up a lung tolerance (and don't have a clue what I'm talking about 🙂).
Your analogy with cooking is accurate and that is how I gauge how hot to set my vape. Too hot and you can taste the roasting get too intense, which is probably when it starts getting more nasty for your health. I don't cook past deep brown and am always flavour conscious.
I suffer from hay fever every year and while the pollen is an irritant i don't think it harms my health overall. I think of vapour the same way.
I definitely agree it's less healthy than air, but even falsely assuming you are away from human pollutants the air is full of other shit, like fungi spores, bacteria, dust and feacal coliforms. Your lungs are good at self clearing as others have said.
Things absorbed by the lungs have to be dealt with by the body, so plenty of antioxidants and water will allow your system to keep itself clean.

nopapers_justvapors

If the coughing is to clear the throat, I wouldn't necessarily say you can't handle the hit, but if you're choking on it, it's a different story.

nopapers_justvapors,
Top Bottom