Is vaping as good as we think/hope?

woolspinner

This site has a number of studies that are randomized and placebo controlled. At least two of the MS studies were. Some are pro and some are con. I believe you will find it to be fair.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000884

ETA: oh, I absolutely use it recreationally. It feels good, it relaxes me. However, I am interested in the potential health benefits as well. It curbs anxiety, at times helps me focus. I think meditation training can do that too, so I guess I am choosing medication because it is effective and fun. I read a study recently indicating that it could heal the part of my brain that may be getting damaged by other meds. In all these cases I cannot quote research, some may be anecdotal (maybe not the brain stuff). I know my migraines have been virtually nonexistent since I started vaping daily.

Scott A

This site has a number of studies that are randomized and placebo controlled. At least two of the MS studies were. Some are pro and some are con. I believe you will find it to be fair.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000884
Thank you for the link I havent came across that website yet. Only a few articles in so far but seems balanced like you said so thank you for some nice reading. Im not a full disbeliever as if marijuana doesnt help at all for anything but I do think some of its benefits are over stated for many reasons.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Yes its only anecdotal evidence... just because the shit agrees with what you want it to agree with doesn't mean it isnt just shit.

My cannabis "truth" ( my god you sound so pretentious its horrible ) is that it gets me high just like it gets you high just like it gets everyone high because we all like to get high. I just dont need to sit on my high horse and preach about non existent medical benefits of something that gets us high to make my self feel better.
Obviously @Scott A you are lucky enough to come from a different situation than many of us here. You are entitled to your opinion. There aren't a lot of studies regarding the benefits of cannabis because for years cannabis has been listed as a serious drug. Slowly the vail is being lifted and I'm sure we will see further studies.

Edit
I don't belong to a lot of social media. I first came to FC because of @Vitolo I was watching one of his vaporizer videos. He is one that has been helped tremendously by cannabis. There are so many folks on FC that are suffering each day to be able to walk, eat or sleep and cannabis helps them do that. Many just are looking for the basics in life not just to get high so it might be difficult for some to understand how our fav flower has been a life saver. I've read through some of the heart warming stories like @Hashtag46&2 or @ataxian who rely of this precious plant.

Last edited:

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
I'm just gonna drop this here...

Please listen... I watch this video over and over, knowledge is power.
Please sign the petition at the end.

I watch it repeatedly to cross reference terminology I may not yet have been educated in.

One more....

I should be able to post up Clinical, Empirical evidence soon..

Time for Ambien....
No it's not.. Time for Cannabinoids.

MinnBobber

I just dont need to sit on my high horse and preach about non existent medical benefits of something that gets us high to make my self feel better.
..........................................................................................................................
Now that says it all, thanks.

Non existent medical benefits of cannabis is a pretty strong statement, supported by what?
And I find it very offensive to the medical users on this forum :(

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
..........................................................................................................................

Non existent medical benefits of cannabis is a pretty strong statement, supported by what?

Vitolo, myself....

How can anyone tell me Cannabinoids have no Medicinal purposes?

I went from 480mg of Oxycodone a day to 280 in less than a week...
Only slight Withdrawal .

480!!!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

No offence please just an observation.

What medical condition do you suffer from?

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
However, what I expect some react to is the florid, new-agey language and tone that was used. What is said may be true, but if all cannabis users talked like that, we'd have a hard time being taken seriously by the majority.

Now, some say, "fuck 'em" and that is fine and well for outliers and radicals...but for those of us who try to work within the system and who want to be believed and not written off as kooks, we are probably going to be more in favor of plainer speech.

Exactly this, there are enough fact backed arguments pro legalization there's no need to make unrealistic, unscientific claims like

Rick Simpson says cannabis helped to cure his cancer.

That said

I hope no one disagrees with the MESSAGE Minnbobber was expressing, just his way of expressing it, which is probably just how s/he feels and speaks being so inspired by cannabis and its ability to help and/or heal.

I am sorry for a slight derail, I just felt the need to chime in because i, too, was put off by the post. Sorry, Minnbobber, I hope you can understand my point, just as I have tried, I hope, to understand your point of view as well?

The Beagle,
Reactions: ataxian

MinnBobber

No offence please just an observation.

What medical condition do you suffer from?
................................................................................
In my shoulders: torn rotator cuff and bicep tendons, arthritis, rheumatism, calcium on the bones/tendons/muscles, bone spur, bursitis, so inflammation and pain.

Lower back: protruding disk that has put me bedridden for 6 weeks where I had to crawl to the bathroom and wilted one leg's quadriceps by 30%.

A series of sports injuries with pain, inflammation and rehab

P.S. not to get too far afield but I agree with Steve DeAngelo that the medical vs recreational categories are themselves a problem and there should be a singular "personal wellness" category.
But that's a whole 'nother can of worms :)
My prediction is that in 10 years, the medical recommendation will be for everyone to take XX mg of cannabis daily to boost/supplement your Endocannabinoid (ECS) System. Kind of like the current recommendation for most to take a baby aspirin every day :)

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I have a friend who has MS. She is 62 years old. She takes very good care of herself by eating healthy and excersizing daily. There is medications that she needs to take.

Some years back I suggested cannabis. She didn't want to use it at first but she found that it helps her with flexibility in her muscles. She gets muscles spasm and pain too, cannabis seems to quiet the spasms and helps with the pain.
It's not going to help to save her eyesight. Eventually she could be come blind. She chooses to use edibles.

Last edited:

Tommy10

Vitolo, myself....

How can anyone tell me Cannabinoids have no Medicinal purposes?

I went from 480mg of Oxycodone a day to 280 in less than a week...
Only slight Withdrawal .

480!!!

Holly hell!!
Opioid habit, or vaping "non medical" MJ... I know which medicine I'd prefer.
I know nobody that openly uses MJ medically (probably because it's still illegal here) but sometimes I think that getting "high" Has added bennfits that we don't think of.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Holly hell!!
I know nobody that openly uses MJ medically (probably because it's still illegal here) but sometimes I think that getting "high" Has added bennfits that we don't think of.
Research Scientist in ISRAEL believe forgetting is a positive thing.

I like THC with my CBD and others.
To Isolate one compound makes it more of a chemical.

The whole COLA and all the COMPOUNDS for the most benefit in my case!

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Holly hell!!
Would you believe I got it all the way down to 60mg for 2 days? Using my Solo to replace doses?

Withdrawal symptoms were again minimal, however, my whole damn body hurt like hell, the damage to my bones, joints are too far advanced for Cannabis to control the Pain, without taking a huge dose of activated Hash Caps. Which will put me to sleep...

I certainly could use Cannabis exclusively, but I can't be sleeping all day.

Activity is essential for Chronic Pain Patients.

lwien

Please link me to these many studies. Most of them that I have read are all based on anecdotal evidence which I take with a grain of salt. And no your last statement exactly describes anecdotal evidence.

...because we all like to get high.

Being that you like the truth and very much like to discount anecdotal evidence, it needs to be pointed out that your last statement above that "we all like to get high" is not true and is totally based on anecdotal evidence simply because there are many medical users who do not like to get high at all and search for CBD dominate strains to mitigate that "highness".

Gettinbetter

Being that you like the truth and very much like to discount anecdotal evidence, it needs to be pointed out that your last statement above that "we all like to get high" is not true and is totally based on anecdotal evidence simply because there are many medical users who do not like to get high at all and search for CBD dominate strains to mitigate that "highness".
Thanks for saying that. If my "goal" was to get high then I would buy some top shelf high thc bud and blast my way to the moon. Instead, I seek out high cbd strains so that I can manage myself throughout the day and get things done! I vape High cbd almost exclusively. I use a low cbd indica in the evening sometimes to help with pain and sleep.

As to the original question. There is no doubt in my mind that vaping in moderation is fine. I was a long time smoker of cigarettes. I switched that to vaping and noticed an improvement almost immediately. Eventually I was overdoing it however and there was an effect on my lungs. Mind you, this is vaping chemical flavorings and a lot of pg/vg vs vaping vegetation directly.
I have had no lung problems since beginning to vape flower. Moderation. An excess of almost anything is likely to cause problems at some point.

woolspinner

Thanks for saying that. If my "goal" was to get high then I would buy some top shelf high thc bud and blast my way to the moon. Instead, I seek out high cbd strains so that I can manage myself throughout the day and get things done! I vape High cbd almost exclusively. I use a low cbd indica in the evening sometimes to help with pain and sleep.

As to the original question. There is no doubt in my mind that vaping in moderation is fine. I was a long time smoker of cigarettes. I switched that to vaping and noticed an improvement almost immediately. Eventually I was overdoing it however and there was an effect on my lungs. Mind you, this is vaping chemical flavorings and a lot of pg/vg vs vaping vegetation directly.
I have had no lung problems since beginning to vape flower. Moderation. An excess of almost anything is likely to cause problems at some point.

I just got a pen and made my own liquid. Mostly I vape flower. I went a little overboard playing with the new device and this morning my asthma was horrible. Wheezing, coughing. Bad news bears. So, though I like the size and stealth, I have to keep it minimal. I can do concentrate in my Haze, but it can leak a little and I do not want the wallop that comes from straight concentrate.

I assume it is a combination of higher temps and PG or PEG in the liquid. To know for sure if it is temp or product, I would need to do some high temp vaping - either flower or concentrate - with a period of not using the pen at all. Typically low temp vaping. I might try a period of using the pen with water (pen has round mouthpiece which fits perfectly in a bong) to cool and soothe. If that helps maybe it is the temps, but I suspect my lungs object to PG/PEG. Although, I do not know if this mix has VG as well which I think can be irritating. Make sense, it produces more clouds than I want.

Vaping flower got me so busted after hot boxing in my car then going to class. "Do you smell a skunk?" Awkward. Dunno if it was stinky Haze in bag or stink residue on my clothes. So, I am trying to do something less stinky. Bummer, though, if the liquid is setting off my asthma.

ETA: no flavor added. Hoped the Lemon candy of the concentrate would come through. It didn't. So, I know it wasn't flavoring bothering my lungs.

Gettinbetter

@woolspinner I use a co2 cartridge sometimes. Still smells like flower a bit but not as strongly as the flower itself. The smell from the cartridge dissipates quickly too.

I really think I was just doing the ecig way too much. I know that when I stopped, I expelled a lot of light mucus from my lungs. Also, my chronic cough has lessened considerably.

Tommy10

Would you believe I got it all the way down to 60mg for 2 days? Using my Solo to replace doses?

Withdrawal symptoms were again minimal, however, my whole damn body hurt like hell, the damage to my bones, joints are too far advanced for Cannabis to control the Pain, without taking a huge dose of activated Hash Caps. Which will put me to sleep...

I certainly could use Cannabis exclusively, but I can't be sleeping all day.

Activity is essential for Chronic Pain Patients.

If cannabis truely does help you decrease opioid use by that much than I don't really see how it is not potentially life saving. For all the harm that MJ "may" do, wouldn't be a drop in the ocean compared to 480mg a day of oxy :/!
Remember people, these legal opiods, benzos and such are not only cripplingly addictive but they are also deadly.
The more I think about it, I know people that used to drink every day and get rotten drunk on the weekends, who now smoke a joint on school nights instead. Not completely free of alcohol abuse, but it certainly is a positive thing.
Had a friend on probation get prescribed vallium so he could get off MJ! Sickening!

MinnBobber

If cannabis truely does help you decrease opioid use by that much than I don't really see how it is not potentially life saving. For all the harm that MJ "may" do, wouldn't be a drop in the ocean compared to 480mg a day of oxy :/!
Remember people, these legal opiods, benzos and such are not only cripplingly addictive but they are also deadly.
Cannabis truly got a "bad rap" as a gateway drug--to harder stuff, when it really is an "exit drug".
Here are the most important facts out there IMO regarding opiate vs cannabis use & death :(

US yearly deaths from legal prescription painkiller drugs (oxy etc) are 16,000
In states with medical cannabis THIS RATE DROPS 24.8%. An incredible, monumental drop!!!
And of course, cannabis deaths each year out of millions of users: ZERO.

Yet, the feds scratch their heads and lament, oh what can we do about this epidemic of opiate deaths???
Medical cannabis would save 4,000 lives per year just in this single area, yet it remains classified as a Schedule 1 drug with zero medical value. It's absurd

Last edited:

Spocks_Katra

All I can say is that I moved to vaping for my medical condition and it has helped tremendously. When I was smoking Id have to smoke like .5-1g to get any relief. Now I can do one bowl in my mighty or air and I get fully medicated for HOURS. I suffer from extreme pain on a daily basis, Im in the middle of a flareup caused by a viral infection right now, I was shaking violently and in pain all over my body, not even MORPHINE did anything, vaping is sometimes the only way to get relief!!

caliwisp

Cali Dreamin'
Good points!
What portable vapes you got? I'm hoping the Apollo will close this gap.. about to hold 0.3, replacable batts, convection.. could be the one for me.
Howdy @vapen00b - like your chosen name! I have the Pax 1, Pax 2, E-Livi8, Grasshopper, and about 3-4 different pen style oil gizmos (1 is refillable, the Kanger Mini-Pro). I have tried a number of others - Firefly, Volcano, Solo, and a couple other that escape me now. If funds were unlimited I would have a bunch more no doubt. Gearheadedness takes hold ;)

shredder

Yes its only anecdotal evidence... just because the shit agrees with what you want it to agree with doesn't mean it isnt just shit.

My cannabis "truth" ( my god you sound so pretentious its horrible ) is that it gets me high just like it gets you high just like it gets everyone high because we all like to get high. I just dont need to sit on my high horse and preach about non existent medical benefits of something that gets us high to make my self feel better.

If your really interested and not a trol, please get and read " the pot book" by Dr Julie Holland. She details hundreds of studies and like her book "cocaine" it's considered a great resource book on the medical aspect of cannabis use. The good, the bad and the ugly.
Spoiler alert cannabis works.

And as a caregiver with seriously ill patients. (Epilepsy, cancer, ulcerative colitis, failed back syndrome) I tend to believe what they say and I accept their anadotal evidence.

Scott A

CBD strains still get you high. Just not the same euphoric high from THC.

Scott A,

woolspinner

CBD strains still get you high. Just not the same euphoric high from THC.

How do you define "high"? Because CBD is valued, in part, for the fact that it has no psychoactive effect and, in fact, counter-balances the psychoactive effect of THC.

Therefore, in order to understand your stance, I need to understand what you mean by "high". Because right now, you are sounding identical to someone who says "all cannabis use is medicine" only substitute "use is medicine" with "gets you high" where high is understood to mean "psychologically altered in such a way that the majority of the public would call you high in a comparable way to using the terms drunk or tweaking in reference to alcohol use and meth use"

Top Bottom