Is vaping as good as we think/hope?

biohacker

I clean my bong out about a dozen times a day because of resin....it's not gross like combustion tar, but it sure is sticky cannabinoids. It's weird, once I do take a break....i'll get bouts of major coughing after showers, nothing productive, but deep painful coughs, almost like things are "breaking up"...only lasts for a week or so.

biohacker,

guipesa

It is clear that cannabis resin (BHO) is pegasus and it is logical also vaporized, when it is condense it remains hard inside the lungs like the bho. The big and large hit do not help. My experience has spent a lot of money on the best vaporizers and all possible inventions and I always have negative symptoms in my breathing.

biohacker

I don't have any real negative breathing symptoms that are obvious, however when I abstain...after about a week, I do notice that my breathing is much easier. I think the key would be to allow your lungs to cleanse quicker than we pollute them.

I read something from a pretty good doctor that said to take a month off for every 3 months of heavy use. Treat it kinda like a prescription you know? So the body/brain can get back to "balance" from what we bombard it with.

C No Ego

I did do edibles but after quitting for a few months you do not really have much craving for weed any longer. You soon start diversifying your spare time doing a lot of other different things... I started exercising and preparing for a half marathon and joined a running club with a bunch of other people my age and 20/30 years+ older (I'm in my 40ies).

I was really a weed enthusiast, growing my own batch but I felt weed decreased my life quality... it didn't enhance it, so I've lost appetite for that... who knows about the far future eventually... not everybody is different.

Maybe if I could have sticked to a couple of sessions per months, the outcome would have been different. But I had a slightly addictive personality and weed is addictive itself, so twice/month session was out of question for me. It's all about moderation, but I was reading in another 3D that most people vaporize 6+ times per day... so moderation is for a few selected...

It was painful at the beginning to give up -- I invested a lot of money in leds, seeds, learning all tricks, etc... -- but I've learnt on the process how to give up things that are not good for your health. Maybe this has helped me improve in some other aspects..

This is my experience. Life is one and it's on everybody responsibility to live it in the best way possible. I tried and I thought there was a permanent space for weed in my life but somehow I am happy to discover also the opposite... it's all about what makes you feel good or better off, and weed wasn't really making it for me...

well with immediate cannabis effects as noticed that is obvious. For myself going to the bathroom next day after an edible is a god send ( # 1 and #2) and over all relaxation and relief .... I am not seeking an addiction but rather a boost from nature to my already Great life! looking at cannabsi scientifically shows that this particular plant contains more medicine than any other plant, even combining plants ( lots of different plants) will not even compare to the actives in cannabis... We are finding more actives in there every few months too... while we do not exactly know 100% what is happening we do know we can grow certain phenotypes to enhance qualities we are seeking from the medicine..

I agree, every thing in moderation including moderation.... the conundrum of following a moderate approach is that the moderation too needs moderating...

biohacker

I like your style C No Ego! I agree moderation in everything including moderation. There is the concept of hormesis, so I feel that binges have there place, as do protracted breaks to allow the body and brain to "reset". Joe Rogan always takes a week off every month or so for this very reason. And Joe Rogen rules!

kuzko

By no means am I an expert but I've always thought the difference between tar and thc "gunk" was that the tar is bad for your lungs and stains because the lungs can't absorb it. Thc "gunk" is just vapor that has cooled down and turned back into its sticky self, either in your vaporizer or in your body, and the body is able to absorb/consume thc. I could be completely wrong tho.

I do know 100% that vaporizing has made me a healthier consumer.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I'm not in the medical field. If you are smoking your body is absorbing all the harmful carcinogens from combusting. Folks can get lung disease such as emphysema from smoking your medicine (cannabis) so vaporizing would be better for you. Folks using medical cannabis for serious diseases often have lowered immune system anyway they don't need lung disease foo.

C No Ego

By no means am I an expert but I've always thought the difference between tar and thc "gunk" was that the tar is bad for your lungs and stains because the lungs can't absorb it. Thc "gunk" is just vapor that has cooled down and turned back into its sticky self, either in your vaporizer or in your body, and the body is able to absorb/consume thc. I could be completely wrong tho.

I do know 100% that vaporizing has made me a healthier consumer.

with smoke and fire added to cannabis studies have shown that 4000 plus new hydro carbons are created after ignition... those new smoke related chemicals would be the gunk

C No Ego,
Reactions: kellya86

Vaporbabe

If you feel healthier and you can not only see but feel the benefits then why even question it... After smoking clean green for many years I had a morning cough, phlegmy chest and many more ailments I tried not to admit were due to smoking - however not that I purely vape I experience none of these symptoms! Leaving me with better lung capacity and overall heath and concentration and lack of drive so I have to believe its by far healthier and why question that...

biohacker

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I think many of you are missing the entire point of it. It doesn't have to do with vaping vs combustion.

But if you look at any vaporizer after use there is a build up of gunk and logic says that if the vapour is gunking up the vaporizer, then it must also be gunking up our lungs, and if thats the case, then maybe vaporizing isnt as positive as we, or maybe just I, thought

biohacker,

huk_huk

a lot of people here describe the resin/gunk as hard and sticky but remember that's rather warm in the lungs so the resin will be quiet oily imo. I was under the impression that the body has no problem to break up this oil. In the end the dosage is probably important, staying below a certain treshold should be the safe way for most.

howie105

Like a lot of stuff in the world it comes down to individual risk tolerance. One has to judge the risks of any form of consumption they see as relevant versus the reward potential. That is also why I usually don't try to sell my concerns (or lack of) to other individuals and respect their personal assessments, because their calls are right, for themselves.

C No Ego

a lot of people here describe the resin/gunk as hard and sticky but remember that's rather warm in the lungs so the resin will be quiet oily imo. I was under the impression that the body has no problem to break up this oil. In the end the dosage is probably important, staying below a certain treshold should be the safe way for most.

your post reminds me of another use I learned about from cannabis... for Chrons disease people use a glass domed globe vaporizer to catch the vapor inside of the globe and let it accumulate inside on the globes inner dome... that coated vapor resin oil is then later scraped off with a rubber spatula to then ingest the oil... the sticky oil is the medicine that helps with chrons.. If you feel uncertain of how the oil is assimilated in our carbon based lives realize that cannabis oil is a lipid...

edit. a super benefit to vaping this way to accumulate the oil is that the oil gets decarboxylated or activated which makes it way more potent...

C No Ego

@biohacker .. thank you.... I have struggled with my own moral issues while learning against the grain so to speak... for many years anyone using drugs in my mind were complete losers as I felt high and mighty over them... as I realized more and more we need the world around us to survive my control issues changed entirely while realizing that things deemed " Bad" were/are actually "Good"... now I have a reverse opinion based on what is Deemed " safe" while seeing with completely new lenses the world in which I'm a part of... trying to help others get past their own blocks and really examine the situation helps me feel like I've added my own little part of the equation into the mix... Take care

DrewVape

Cannabis vapor is sticky and condenses in the lungs that is the problem.

No, natural Cannabinoid resin is an expectorant.. It cleans your lungs. 'lung expansion' used to be a key effect.

What sticks to your lungs is carbo booster products: Budcandy, Humboldt Honey, Floranectar, Sweet, Sugaree, etc etc.

Most good crops will clean out a brown sticky grinder with that expectorant property. Thats the best medicine there is. Others can junk them up in pure dried white residue. Thats usually good stuff too. The stuff that turns your grinder green yellow or brown , and leaves hard crust in your vape: its Monsanto laced poison. (yes Monsanto sells tons of grow products that adulterate cannabis and give it negative effects)

So much dirty weed these days. Grown with Monsanto faker products, its sickening to see people experience negatives from cannabis, knowing damn well they are actually negatives from corporate weed takeover.

guipesa

Cannabis with its oil is a lipid, and can cause lipoid pneumonia, apart from hot air.

guipesa,

biohacker

@guipesa I think you are confusing cannabis oil that is made for ingestion and is NOT to vape vaporized. That would definitely be able to cause lipoid pneumonia. Hash oil is not really oil like that per se.

biohacker,
Reactions: Alexis

howie105

Cannabis with its oil is a lipid, and can cause lipoid pneumonia, apart from hot air.

So how much MJ would you have to vape to put yourself at risk? As an old guy who likes dry hits (tasty) it is a concern.

howie105,

guipesa

Cannabis in its natural form has resin I mean that resin is a lipid and can have problems in the lungs when condensed, and had different vape and caused problems in my breathing if for you not simply have moderation.

guipesa,

CarolKing

Way healthier than smoking...... I've noticed some cigarette smokers saying vaporizing cannabis irritates their lungs. Maybe their lungs are damaged from smoking cigs?i don't know just putting that out there.

While cannabis and lung cancer don’t go hand-in-hand, heavy smokers still have somerisks to worry about:

• Trouble Exhaling: Heavy smokers that crossed the joint-a-day for over 20 years threshold lost some of their capacity to make full, forced exhalations.
  • Inflammation: Long-term, heavy smokers also had more inflammation in the small air pathways in the lungs. This can cause asthma-like symptoms later in life.
These risks are reduced when you vaporize instead of smoke herb. While it may seem obvious, it’s easy to forget that when you smoke weed, you’re breathing hot, smoldering plant materials into your body. Vapes use just enough heat to activate the cannabinoids in your flower or wax. At the same time, they avoid the itchy, inflaming burn associated with weed that’s been roasted a little too hot.

Rolling papers and the products you use to smoke may also be to blame for some of the lung irritation. Rolling papers may be processed with bleach or other chemicals, damaging your lung tissue. Switching to a vape would avoid all of these risks as well.

Smoking cigarettes causes cancer but for some reason cannabis smoking doesn't. Maybe because cannabis has some cancer fighting properties that protects the user?

Last edited:

Alexis

Funny Carol- I just commented on this exact thing in Herborizer corner. @Hogni said how he smokes tobacco still, it doesnt make him cough but vaping is quite irritating to his airways.

I said how I know that smokers often cough and cant hold a vape down as it is very expectorant and basically cleans the lungs out.
It is doing good, cleaning and even some repair, but is irritating in the process.
A cough is actually a good thing. It has to happen for an underlying reason, your body is benefitiing from coughing, ideally there should be no need as the lungs should be clean and healthy.

At the same time, hot vapor is still going to be a little irritating on its own, though the irritation is not exactly a sign that harm is being done.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Vaporizing at too hot of temp will irritate the lungs. So will vaporizing all day if that's your routine.

Concentrates can irritate my lungs so I'm careful while using them.
If I want to vaporize the higher temps because of pain I use a water tool or a j hook to diffuse some of the heat.
If something doesn't feel right, your body is telling you something. Trust your instincts.

Alexis

Personally I am allergic to cannabis and I suffer major respiratory symptoms when I vaporize. My life is plagued by serious allergies. Every time I eat food my lungs fill up with thick mucus all the way from my mouth, down throat, in intestines.

I have to manage these symptoms 24/7 by using essential oils with and without steam inhalations, a very restricted diet (as diff foods cause a diff level of excessive mucus production), a variety of supplements that help like oil of oregano, spices like cayenne, turmaric, cinnamon, cardamom, garlic etc.

Most supplements cause an unbearable amount of mucus production it is unbearable, like over 95% of supplements if not higher.

I have had long term chronic infections in my lungs since 2005 due to Lyme disease- at least 2 infections in both of my lungs at a time, every single day sonce 2005, at times as many as 6 seperate infections in both lungs at a time, but never less than 2.

So whatever I do I have to live to manage the symptoms. I cant take any other drugs, alcohol is far worse than cannabis in any method, it is very hard for me to relax and de-stress and enjoy life with severe long term depression (due to Lyme disease and being unwell, directly (brain chemistry) and indirectly due to not being able to live life fully and sleep, relax etc, work, have fun basically.)

Hence, I still vaporize cannabis as it is one of the few things I enjoy, amd it enables ,e to enjoy other things in life. I go crazy with stress otherwise so it is the lesser evil, but the allergic reaction is very hard work to deal with.

All this said, it is clear to me, being very in tune with my body and symptoms, that vaporizing weed does enormously benefit my lung health, which is ironic with my allergies!

When my infections are much lower, the allergies are much less, as infections basically cause allergies in the particular area they are located. So my respiratory allergies could and likely will vanish if and when all my lung infections are gone for the first time in 12 years.

I am certain that vaping does support lung health and function, but accept that it does also cause some temporary issues/irritation in the process, largely to do with the heat I think.

A BIG factor in this debate though is the chemicals in weed. The chemical ferts cause irritation, especially to the throat and vocal chords. And they also cause damage, which clean weed does not, however irritating.

I am so badly allergic to all chemical ferts I can only vape weed grown without any fertiliser, except fish blood amd bonemeal from all the organic ferts I have ever treid yet- Im allergic to practically all organic ferts too.

Nature can cause irritation without actual harm, chemicals and synthetic causes irritation AND harm.

Top Bottom