• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Is there any use for old herbs

little maggie

Other than throwing them out? They were grown by a friend and were pretty powerful: I think cinex and Jack Herrar. But I am a very slow user and they've been sitting in a jar for months and don't do much anymore.

little maggie,
Reactions: Squiby

Farid

Properly stored, bud should hold actives for years. The THC % will go down, but the bud will still have strong effects. I would never throw out bud unless it was contaminated. Just re hydrate it and give it to a friend if you don't want it. Or cook with it. Or make hash.

little maggie

As far as I can tell I have it stored properly: inside 2 baggies that are inside a glass jar. I think it's been around 7 months. I usually buy a gram because that lasts me a while but this is closer to 12 ounces so it's not getting used up. It was the last I got before my friend broke up with her boyfriend who is a grower. It's possible that my body is just too used to it. I went and bought a tiny amount of something called "strawberry cough" which I hope is a misnomer to see if it helps. Otherwise I'll try baking as someone suggested unless rosin is not too complicated.
Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited:
little maggie,

herbivore21

As far as I can tell I have it stored properly: inside 2 baggies that are inside a glass jar. I think it's been around 7 months. I usually buy a gram because that lasts me a while but this is closer to 12 ounces so it's not getting used up. It was the last I got before my friend broke up with her boyfriend who is a grower. It's possible that my body is just too used to it. I went and bought a tiny amount of something called "strawberry cough" which I hope doesn't to see if it helps. Otherwise I'll try baking as someone suggested unless rosin is not too complicated.
Thanks for suggestions.
Rosin is much less complicated than any kind of cooking IMO. Hot heavy things squish your nug with a lot of force inside of a piece of parchment, the resin from the nug is expressed from the nug and left on the parchment for collection ;)

Think of it like pressing fruit juice, but for your nugs - that is really what we are talking about! It just happens to be dabbable juice that puts almost anything else but full melt to shame :) The only difficult aspect was getting your hands on the right tools, but I know that highfivevapes and newvape now retail a number of solutions (the former have the cheapest press that would be good for personal use squishing. Take a nug, squish it, do your dab - repeat as necessary.

Get your hands on some boveda 62% humidity packs and make sure the jar is relatively airtight (comparable to a mason jar or similar). If the material is super dry, put 3 x 60g/67g 62% boveda packs in the jar with the material (if it is spread across multiple jars, more packs may be required), otherwise 2 packs should do. This will restore the moistness of the material without bringing mold and work to make sure that the material ages positively, rather than negatively. Store the jar in a cool, dark place. No light should be exposed to the jar regularly. No oxygen either. To limit oxygen presence in the jar, consider using commercial oxygen absorber packs (sort of like silica gel packs you find in various products but absorbs oxygen instead of adsorbing moisture). If your jar just is packed full by the time you get all the herb in there, then there is limited room for oxygen and this will be acceptable without oxygen absorbers.

You will probably find that you are just used to the effects of the one variety and that is why you are noticing less effect. I very much doubt you have lost all of the actives from the material due to heat/light/etc! Mold could destroy all/most of the viable resin but mold that advanced would of course be very visible to even the untrained observer! Squish some rosin from a nug, dab it or put it on top of a bowl of flowers and vape it. I am sure you will find that your old stash has new life and still gives you the desired effect :)

Then take the squished nugs (they look like little chips, people call them 'rosin chips') and cook with those. Don't cook with unprocessed whole nugs, you will destroy, degrade or otherwise change a large portion of the actives other than THCA/THC during the cooking process.

It is much better to extract the bulk of the resin in the most efficient/high quality way possible (balanced for your time/effort/financial budgets respectively), use that for vaporization to enjoy the full benefits of the effects of all of the various medically active compounds and their entourage/ensemble effects (unless you have a health condition that precludes you from vaping of course, but this doesn't seem relevant here lol). Afterwards, you can use the flowers that have already been extracted from to cook and exhaust any remaining actives - the more volatile fractions of your cannabis resin that would otherwise be lost in cooking were already taken out of these processed nugs when you squish them into rosin.

Have your dabs and eat them too! :) :peace:

Last edited:

MinnBobber

Plastic, oxygen, & light will all degrade even well-cured bud, so store it in a colored glass jar and/or put the jar in a cabinet/drawer with boveda pack or other hydration stabilization and you can keep it indefinitely.
X2
Please ditch the plastic baggies as they are bad for your bud.
Glass jars in dark place with Boveda humidity packs and bud will last a long long time

sanfranciscosadhu

I use small amounts, like variety and go to dispensaries and get herb given to me as well. Every four months or so I pack the herb I no longer want in a nice box, throw in some rolling papers and a snack and gift wrap the whole thing. Then I go to town looking for a street musician that does a great job. I leave the package discreetly as a tip. It's a good feeling!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Bud should get better with age unless all the terpenes have been dried out of it. I definitely enjoy a well cured bud over a fresh one. Best of luck with your old bud.

ander

My October harvest is never ready before Christmas and gets even better in summer. Years ago, anyway, I've found a flower of my Sativa on the ground of my attic... it was at least 1 year old and exposed to light, air, dust... I think it was a 0.5 and I put it whole in a joint before taking my motorcycle, thinking that it was exausted. Well... 10 minutes later I've found myself melted with the motorcycle in a fast and furious psychedelic trip so...
Beware! :argh:
Enjoy! :nod:

grokit

well-worn member
I wonder if old trim sprinkled on top of a hot dish of pasta & sauce would self-decarb,
maybe melt some cheese on top of the herb under a broiler to be sure :tup:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I had some banana kush in a jar (small canning style jar) since June inside a box in a bag. I had forgotten about it. I took some out and it wasn't dry at all. It still was potent too!

If it was subjected to air and light it might be spent but I would try to use it in edibles. I would do some kind of a decarb. You never know you may get some good out of it. It can't hurt. It's better than tossing out. Try it in a milkshake - that would be easy. Start out slooooow.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Top Bottom