Is there a point of diminished return with edibles?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Will infusing an Oz into 1 cup be much more potent than just a few grams?
Is there a point of diminished returns where adding more material does not increase potency?

TeeJay1952

Arbor press for the squeeze. More preasure, better return. I can't comment on adding more as I work with trim.

TeeJay1952,
Reactions: ataxian

Deleted Member 1643

Haven't tested rigorously - typically use 2 oz in MB2e and top off, about five cups total. Also, use QWET filtrate after extracting almost all activity. But - you can test yourself without wasting anything.

After infusion, save what's left of the starting material and repeat infusion with fresh coconut oil to see how much activity remains after the first step.

For maximizing the activity of your infusion, an alternative is to re-infuse fresh flowers into the already-infused coconut oil. Are you adding lecithin?

SkunkPharm thoroughly discusses both methods in various posts on lipid and glycerin extraction (similar processes).

Last edited:
Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: ataxian

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
When making medibles with oil and butter the better quality flowers the better and stronger the oil or butter. Use top shelf if you can not mid grade. I use the Magical Butter maker and I keep infusing over an eight hour time period. I shut the machine off so it can cool then I start another 2 hour timed infusion. It seems to help with potency. I assume all the goodies are gone when I'm done. I say process as long as possible. When I have just a 2 hour infusion process it isn't as potent.

I should try 10 or 12 hours and see if there is a difference that is noticeable. I would have to use exactly the same cannabis strain and batch to make it a fair comparison plus same amount of butter or oil.

C No Ego

Will infusing an Oz into 1 cup be much more potent than just a few grams?
Is there a point of diminished returns where adding more material does not increase potency?
the extra space in the saturated fat will be taken up with the added plant molecules... only so much absorption is possible before there is no extra space left and the fat will not hold any more extras... how to exactly determine max absorption it is an issue...

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
the extra space in the saturated fat will be taken up with the added plant molecules... only so much absorption is possible before there is no extra space left and the fat will not hold any more extras... how to exactly determine max absorption it is an issue...
Help me!

I tried digesting CANNABIS! (GROSS)
Made me sick?

VAPORIZING = CIVILIZED

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
If I eat 2-3 20mg home made chocolates I get wrecked. Im a little intimidated to try more than 60mg in a dose. Dimishing returns doesn't seem to exist in my home made edible world. I use a gram of concentrate (avg 750mg/gr) for a cup of coconut oil, comes out to be around 15mg per tsp of coconut oil. I also like to use a sunflower lechitin as it's been said to help with absorption.

My step son has ate 375mg dispensary cookie before and said he felt it, but always felt like my home made medibles were more potent. If I were to eat that much, I think I'd be on a 6 hour trip.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
If I eat 2-3 20mg home made chocolates I get wrecked. Im a little intimidated to try more than 60mg in a dose. Dimishing returns doesn't seem to exist in my home made edible world. I use a gram of concentrate (avg 750mg/gr) for a cup of coconut oil, comes out to be around 15mg per tsp of coconut oil. I also like to use a sunflower lechitin as it's been said to help with absorption.

My step son has ate 375mg dispensary cookie before and said he felt it, but always felt like my home made medibles were more potent. If I were to eat that much, I think I'd be on a 6 hour trip.
I love to cook gourmet style, however I never had luck with using cannabis to cook with?

ataxian,
Reactions: Squiby

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
only so much absorption is possible

I suspect that is true. However, if you decarb concentrate in some fat (butter, coconut oil, etc) and add it to your already THC saturated oil, I guarantee the new solution will be more powerful. In fact, I usually add the decarbed-concentrate-butter directly to melted chocolate. In Washington State, concentrate is labeled as to strength. It's just a 4th grade math problem to ascertain THC/piece.

For example, Let's say we have 1 gram 70% THC concentrate (700 mg THC). 1/4 gram = 250 mg concentrate has 700/4 = 175 mg of THC. You want 25 mg/serving. Mix well 1/4 gram of decarbed concentrate into melted chocolate, and divide in 7 equal parts.

Last edited:

Baron23

There is always a point of diminished return with most any kind of substance a person can consume.

Too much cannabinoids can be unhealthy and make some people sick. I have suffered from cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome. I have learned how it feels when I need to cut back to avoid a full on attack.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/what-is-cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome
I believe he was referring to how much THC a butter/oil can absorb before it reaches saturation and will not absorb anymore. And I don't think there is a published, peer reviewed study on this...or at least I haven't seen one.

Cheers

C No Ego

I love to cook gourmet style, however I never had luck with using cannabis to cook with?
you can drizzle canna oilve oil= (saturated olive oil of decarboxylated cannabis) over salads and fresh food low heat etc... any heat with cooking can be Bad for gourmet canna infused food

I suspect that is true. However, if you decarb concentrate in some fat (butter, coconut oil, etc) and add it to your already THC saturated oil, I guarantee the new solution will be more powerful. In fact, I usually add the decarbed-concentrate-butter directly to melted chocolate. In Washington State, concentrate is labeled as to strength. It's just a 4th grade math problem to ascertain THC/piece.

For example, Let's say we have 1 gram 70% THC concentrate (700 mg THC). 1/4 gram = 250 mg concentrate has 700/4 = 175 mg of THC. You want 25 mg/serving. Mix well 1/4 gram of decarbed concentrate into melted chocolate, and divide in 7 equal parts.

exactly, adding more already mixed solution to another solution just adds more overall... adding more concentrate to saturated oil is what I'm referring to and binding in the oil... I mean we could add an ounce of highly concentrated cannabis oil into a cup of butter lol... the oil would absorb/mix into butter up to a point then float n=on top.

sockelf

Help me!

I tried digesting CANNABIS! (GROSS)
Made me sick?

VAPORIZING = CIVILIZED

Was whatever you ate made from concentrates or butter/oil?
My husband has big issues digesting/feeling nauseous if I bake the cannabis right into the chocolates etc... but it's easier on his stomach if the extra plant fiber isn't there and I make butter/oil instead. He's still not a huge fan of edibles but the butter or oils are a better option for him vs my chock-full-of-flower chocolates.

sockelf,
Reactions: Baron23

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Was whatever you ate made from concentrates or butter/oil?
My husband has big issues digesting/feeling nauseous if I bake the cannabis right into the chocolates etc... but it's easier on his stomach if the extra plant fiber isn't there and I make butter/oil instead. He's still not a huge fan of edibles but the butter or oils are a better option for him vs my chock-full-of-flower chocolates.

I've noticed this with THC-A before, namely from having a partially decarboxylated (i.e. not long enough) material being used in edibles. It happened to 3 of us, we didnt feel much but should have, then all had a bit of a upset stomach afterwards.

psychonaut,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep

Send me a PM and I'll gladly detail what you can do to infuse cannabis into your gourmet cooking, I don't want to dilute this thread with any info. The idea with decarbed concentrates infused into an olive oil to use on salads ot bread is excellent advice.

psychonaut,

sockelf

I've noticed this with THC-A before, namely from having a partially decarboxylated (i.e. not long enough) material being used in edibles. It happened to 3 of us, we didnt feel much but should have, then all had a bit of a upset stomach afterwards.

That's interesting, too. I decarb for close to 40 minutes at 240, so I think I've decarbed it enough... I hope? Chime in if otherwise...

I also like to eat my edibles with something else - a half meal with some good fats in it or something.

sockelf,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
That's interesting, too. I decarb for close to 40 minutes at 240, so I think I've decarbed it enough... I hope? Chime in if otherwise...

I also like to eat my edibles with something else - a half meal with some good fats in it or something.

That sounds long enough to me, but I abandoned decarbing flowers in lieu of concentrates because it's a lot faster (5-7 mins versus 45-60 minutes) and also you can visually see the decarboxylation process.

For folks who don't have access to concentrates, I highly suggest investing in some sort of Rosin press to achieve this!

psychonaut,

sockelf

That sounds long enough to me, but I abandoned decarbing flowers in lieu of concentrates because it's a lot faster (5-7 mins versus 45-60 minutes) and also you can visually see the decarboxylation process.

For folks who don't have access to concentrates, I highly suggest investing in some sort of Rosin press to achieve this!

Yeah. That's me. I have access to a TON of flower (not a tonne. But a ton.) I don't want to mess with any sort of butane etc but may need to look into DIY rosin pressing. I tried with an old flat iron but didn't seem to get any return... need to do more research and poke about in my husband's shop... see what sort of rig I could come up with.

Visually seeing the decarb process would be interesting... what changes? colour?

sockelf,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Yeah. That's me. I have access to a TON of flower (not a tonne. But a ton.) I don't want to mess with any sort of butane etc but may need to look into DIY rosin pressing. I tried with an old flat iron but didn't seem to get any return... need to do more research and poke about in my husband's shop... see what sort of rig I could come up with.

Visually seeing the decarb process would be interesting... what changes? colour?

It gets darker but as you look in the oven during the decarb process you will see it bubble up releasing quite a bit of oxygen then it tapers off into smaller bubbles which eventually stop. That's when the concentrate has finished decarboxylating (275F oven for about 5-7 minutes on a little parchment folded boat so it doesnt leak everywhere). I've made up at least a half ounce of concentrates into edibles this way.

psychonaut,
Reactions: sockelf
Top Bottom