Is shake worth the savings? (for vaporizing)

Evilevile

Hi guys,

I want to start incorporating shake into my routine. I was thinking of mixing 30% in with my bowls in order to cut costs and save on the more precious strains.

I haven't acquired the shake yet because I'm not sure how that will play on a vaporizer such as my Tubo.

The shake is 1/5 cheaper and I would be getting 4 times as much as I would with the bud..

The shake is listed as having small amounts of perlite in it; I suppose I could just try and sift that out with a screen. Is shake worth it, or should I just get bud?
What do you guys think?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It depends on the quality of the shake. I would get a little to try out first to see if you like it. I always go quality over cost but that’s me. Some shake might be better than some bud. Depending on your resources. A month ago I bought some mid really great Gorilla Glue that was every bit as good as the top shelf that sold for twice the price.

Often in medical or legal states you can get really great bargains on a holiday. It’s Memorial Day weekend there might be bargains to be had.

Edit
@GreenHopper good point about whether it’s shake or trim.

Last edited:

C No Ego

Hi guys,

I want to start incorporating shake into my routine. I was thinking of mixing 30% in with my bowls in order to cut costs and save on the more precious strains.

I haven't acquired the shake yet because I'm not sure how that will play on a vaporizer such as my Tubo.

The shake is 1/5 cheaper and I would be getting 4 times as much as I would with the bud..

The shake is listed as having small amounts of perlite in it; I suppose I could just try and sift that out with a screen. Is shake worth it, or should I just get bud?
What do you guys think?
I have vaped leaves with success. a few things= it tastes like feet ( I've never tasted feet but guessing they woulds taste that way) because of the chlorophyll and requires more to achieve effects... if you have a low tolerance you can use it with effects and mixing with other better product will be a way to go as well like you mention.

Evilevile

Is it actually shake or trim?

Shake is trim that has already been shaken over a screen to extract trichomes. It's still good for cooking with but I wouldn't bother trying to vape it.

I guess it's both? It says shake/trim: Will also include stems, leaves, and small amounts of perlite.

I mean, it looks pretty good. Looks pretty leafy and green.

Is that perlite going to damage my vaporizer? :hmm:

Vaporware

Perlite is actually “a form of obsidian characterized by spherlulites formed by cracking of the volcanic glass during cooling, used as insulation or in plant growth media.”

So I’d treat it like any kind of thin and fragile glass bits in your material. Not the same health risks as inhaling heated styrofoam, but still significant health risks I think. I have some geckos and have always refused to put them on soil adulterated with perlite because I don’t think it’s safe to eat either -especially for such small animals.

I’d still consider using it for edibles with enough filtering, but I wouldn’t want to vaporize through it.

Evilevile

Can the perlite likely be separated with a screen? Is the perlite easily visible? I'm not sure if I can see it in this picture.

Here's a photo of it. It's AA trim/shake. It looks nice anyway. I don't have much money so the shake is a very tempting choice ( half pound - 8 oz vs. 1 oz of bud for the same price) :o

eLKztSa.jpg

Does that look like quality shake/trim? It's not washed or anything. Why is shake lesser quality? I thought it was just smaller broken up bits of weed and trichs that fall to the floor. I'm just going to break it up anyway :razz: I don't get what makes it significantly less desirable/potent.

Last edited:
Evilevile,
Reactions: CarolKing

Vaporware

Perlite would be little white bits, but if tiny pieces broke off of it you may never find them, and those are the pieces I’d be most worried about breathing in.

I don’t know much about shake, but from posts above it sounds like they put it on screens and take out the trichs that we’re loose in it. That doesn’t mean there’a nothing good left in it, but what’s left is probably more easily extracted in oil/alcohol/etc. which I assume is another reason it’s primarily used for edibles.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I'm sure if you keep asking you'll find someone here who'll say "vape it" if that's what you're looking to hear. But clearly the consensus here is NO, it's not safe to vape.

All shake is not sifted by any means. I worked for a place that sold shake oz on occasion(at a reduced cost)and while some may do that, I know for a fact we weren't the exception.

Trimmers trimmed flower in trim bins that have a screen on the bottom, but thats for what falls off during trim process, we never would de-kief on purpose, although they did save those trichs that fell off while trimming to make bubble then press into rosin. The shake and way-to-tiny popcorn nugs are ground up for pre-rolls. The actual trim is what's normally shipped out to be made into edibles.

Evilevile

I guess it sounded too good to be true! Not worth it for my intensive purposes.

I think I'd be better off buying an ounce of Kief instead and using that to both boost and save my bud.

Thanks for the input everyone. You folks know your stuff:myday: I'm gIad I didn't go ahead and buy it. Now I can get something nice :evil:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Keep in mind that most of that weight you are paying for is green vegetal plant matter that we really don't even want to vaporize. The resinous trichomes that we do want are actually the minority of the plant.

Think of it like making your own orange juice.
Half of the orange is the rind which we can't drink. Therefore if we're buying oranges by the pound, we're going to have a large amount of waste. Think of shake like making orange juice from oranges which have already been juiced... still a few drops here and there, but it's gonna take the most material to quench your thirst!!

Depending on how contaminated the kief is, it's probably a much better value. It could even be a better value than buying buds depending on how good the kief is.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I guess I would be worried about the perlite. I would have to do some studying of any harmful vapor associated with the perlite before I tried it out. I live in a legal state and I’ve never seen that included with any info in the packaging or jars.

CarolKing,
Reactions: Vaporware

C No Ego

I guess I would be worried about the perlite. I would have to do some studying of any harmful vapor associated with the perlite before I tried it out. I live in a legal state and I’ve never seen that included with any info in the packaging or jars.
growers are finding that stuff holds molds and transfers to the dirt... not the best stuff to grow with

C No Ego,

howie105

Is shake worth it, or should I just get bud?

Only you have access to the shake in question so you are the only one who can establish its quality and if it meets your standards. Having been through the brick and ditch weed thing shake has always been an option for me, bur everyones preferences are different. Good Luck

howie105,
Top Bottom