Is seasoning a new frying pan like breaking in a vape?

MinnBobber

Is breaking in a new 3 ply stainless frypan like breaking in a new vape??

Should I post under new additions? Just got my first really top shelf frypan and have it precision baking (just like a vaporizer) with a coat of high smoke point sesame seed oil. 340 F for an hour

I'll need to remember to not grab the inviting, but hot, handle :)

It will be interesting to try it as the detailed instructions say med-low heat is equal to med-high cooking on most other pans.
Negatives: it will take some time when using it to come up to temp, but that's ok.
It's heavy--I'll need to start wrist exercises.

Any suggestions for what to make for my first dish with this bad boy ??

MinnBobber,
Reactions: muunch

MinnBobber

A nice Butter Chicken would be lovely...
.................................................................................
My seasoning with seasame oil was so-so. The oil had tiny little bumps when finished and excess oil wiped away??

I went with sous vide salmon---cooked in water bath at 119F, cooled, and then high heat seared in oil plus butter in frypan.
Salmon/fish is probably most difficult to sear without sticking. A couple little spots of flesh stuck. Butter/ fresh garlic/pepper/lemon juice/olive oil made for tastey fish though.

I decided to re-do so hot water/soaped the pan to get rid of oil base coat, rinsed, and tried canola oil on stovetop to season. Result was still not exactly what I expected. I may go down to bare stainless again but it's hard to get off this seasoning oil coating??

Chicken would be good for the next test.

MinnBobber,

Squiby

I use coconut oil to season my pans.

I've only ever seasoned cast iron in the oven. It becomes non stick when seasoned. Add coconut oil to the cooking surfaces of the pan, bake at around 350° for a half hour, then turn off oven and let cool. Wipe out. Ready to use. Wipe out to clean. If you ever use soap you will need to reseason. Preseason occasionally and over time it just gets better and better.

For stainless steel, I season on the stove top. First heat the pan on medium high for a few minutes. When hot, add oil to coat the surface. Cook on high while swirling the oil around a bit until it smokes. Turn off heat. Let cool. Pour out oil and wipe with paper towel. Now you have a non stock pan. Wipe to clean.

When are you going to make me some Butter Chicken?

MinnBobber

I'm going to get some Barkeeper's Friend cleaning powder, non-abrasive, that' s been recommended. Take it down to clean stainless again and then do seasoning #3. Third time's the charm, I hope.

:doh: I have coconut oil which I love but didn't use cuz sesame had 417 F smoke point and coconut is only 350. So, get down to bare stainless and then do coconut oil :)

Butter chicken.... I assumed it's a simple butter /garlic/ pepper basic recipe til I googled it. :o It had about 20 ingredients, including garam masala ???? No idea what that was but looked and at substitutions:

In a pinch, you could use Garam Masala as a substitute for Curry Powder and just add turmeric, cayenne, and a bit more coriander and cumin; you could also use Curry Powder instead of Garam Masala and add more of the warming spices, like cinnamon and cardamom and cloves.

I should maybe try it at a restaurant first-- I assume Indian ones would have it. I'm trying to get used to/like those spices like turmeric , ginger etc but they can be too overpowering.
So I can move beyond turmeric firecrackers

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Squiby

Squiby

I'm going to get some Barkeeper's Friend cleaning powder, non-abrasive, that' s been recommended.
I LOVE Beekeepers Friend! I use it both in the kitchen and bathroom. Wonderful stuff.

Butter chicken.... I assumed it's a simple butter /garlic/ pepper basic recipe til I googled it. :o It had about 20 ingredients, including garam masala ???? No idea what that was but looked and at substitutions:

In a pinch, you could use Garam Masala as a substitute for Curry Powder and just add turmeric, cayenne, and a bit more coriander and cumin; you could also use Curry Powder instead of Garam Masala and add more of the warming spices, like cinnamon and cardamom and cloves.

I should maybe try it at a restaurant first-- I assume Indian ones would have it. I'm trying to get used to/like those spices like turmeric , ginger etc but they can be too overpowering.
So I can move beyond turmeric firecrackers

Butter Chicken is an Indian Curry dish. I love curry and try to get as much turmeric into me as possible. Any Indian restaurant would have Butter Chicken.

Butter Chicken is super easy. Basically it is chicken cooked in an onion/tomato cream sauce, seasoned with the traditional curry spices.

I saute a large chopped up onion. Add all the curry spices. Then add tomatoes. Simmer for maybe 10 minutes then throw the whole works into a blender along with some cream to thin it out a bit.

Then put the sauce back in the pan, add your cubed chicken and simmer till cooked through. It's totally awsome.

To make the spice mixture easy, many specialty kitchen shops sell a Butter Chicken spice mix. I've made it many different ways; from roasting the chicken first, before adding it to the sauce, marinating the chicken in yoghurt and garam masala to mixing up an spice mixture, always with extra turmeric and cumin. It's always yummy.

I hope you try it, it is a taste sensation.

MinnBobber

??
Are Barkeepers Friend and Beekeepers Friend the same product? On one site discussing cleaning SS pans, most called it Barkeepers but many called it Beekeepers.

I maybe should try at a cafe first, to make sure it's worth all the effort, that I like it :)

MinnBobber,

Squiby

??
Are Barkeepers Friend and Beekeepers Friend the same product?
I maybe should try at a cafe first, to make sure it's worth all the effort, that I like it :)

I buy Barkeepers Friend. That was a typo that I typed above.....

Yes. Try it first. It is rich and spicy. If you like curry, you'll likely like it...

Squiby,

Tranquility

I wasn't even aware you "seasoned" stainless steel. You learn something new every day.

When I season cast iron, I use capsules of flax seed oil. A pin prick or cut and then squeeze the oil on the pan. Very convenient for keeping the seasoning up as I have a bottle of coating doses available all the time. I must admit to going a lot hotter than 350, but it was on cast iron.

(Flax seed is edible linseed oil and comes as a supplement in gelcaps. Very high smoke point and some other reasons why it is a good choice for the chemical bond in seasoning cast iron.)

Tranquility,
Reactions: Squiby
Top Bottom