Is reclaim worth it?

ginolicious

I have a Vapir Rise 2.0. Going to the cottage with a huge load of people. Need to clean my Rise before I go.

I have a lot of resin in the plunger and herb chamber. Should I reclaim it? I've never smoked oils or anything because well I think it'll hurt my lungs so to speak. But if not combusting I may be okay. More from a medical standpoint.

But I do have a ton of resin that needs to be cleaned. Either keep it or just discard it.

Lastly, what is the best way to go about cleaning the plunger and herb chamber to reclaim? Usually I use a q tip and then just throw it out. Reclaiming off a q tip seems difficult.

ginolicious,
Reactions: h3rbalist

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I would suggest scraping as much as you can to vape, and then ISO the rest for cleanliness. I have been in the habit of saving my ISO and letting it evaporate for reclaim, but lately I have noticed the stuff that doesn't get touched by the alcohol is stronger and more pleasing. When I vape stuff that was left over after the evaporation process I am always a little disappointed. It still works and is useful, but I now try to get as much as I can without the ISO. Also, a clean vape usually tastes best!

AhBeVapin

Mindful Member Wellness User
Hey now,

I bathe all stems, screens, adapters, baskets and GonGs in ISO (91%+) in an airtight glass dish.
After three months of accumulation or so, I do an evap. On my last batch @stickstones, I bathed my grinder parts in the accumulated wash and the results are much stronger. YMMV

aBv out

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Hey now,

I bathe all stems, screens, adapters, baskets and GonGs in ISO (91%+) in an airtight glass dish.
After three months of accumulation or so, I do an evap. On my last batch @stickstones, I bathed my grinder parts in the accumulated wash and the results are much stronger. YMMV

aBv out

I've been doing that for years, as well. But now that I use a hemp filter in the air path to collect the bigger droplets, my glass doesn't get as dirty, so I have fewer cleanings. The hemp filters vape much better than whatever I have after a reclaim and evap...the effect is much stronger. I'm not saying it is like this for everyone, but only people doing what I am doing with the hemp filters can adequately compare the two. I noticed this some months ago and thought I was crazy, but I have been thinking about it for a while and my experience confirms it for me. If the OP has some visible oil he can scrape out instead of reclaim out, I think it will be stronger.

ginolicious

I would suggest scraping as much as you can to vape, and then ISO the rest for cleanliness. I have been in the habit of saving my ISO and letting it evaporate for reclaim, but lately I have noticed the stuff that doesn't get touched by the alcohol is stronger and more pleasing. When I vape stuff that was left over after the evaporation process I am always a little disappointed. It still works and is useful, but I now try to get as much as I can without the ISO. Also, a clean vape usually tastes best!

Clean vape is always best. Only down side I can never get my silicone wipe perfectly clean. That bad yellow tint never goes away haha. I've only vaped 2gs and going to do a clean.

What would be the best way to scrape the plunger and herb chamber? Should I heat them up in the vape before scraping? What should I use to scrape and then what to use when i transfer my resin into my air tight jar? Guess I should use something that can be heated up to get the resin to slide into my jar?

howie105

I have a Vapir Rise 2.0. Going to the cottage with a huge load of people. Need to clean my Rise before I go.

I have a lot of resin in the plunger and herb chamber. Should I reclaim it? I've never smoked oils or anything because well I think it'll hurt my lungs so to speak. But if not combusting I may be okay. More from a medical standpoint.

But I do have a ton of resin that needs to be cleaned. Either keep it or just discard it.

Lastly, what is the best way to go about cleaning the plunger and herb chamber to reclaim? Usually I use a q tip and then just throw it out. Reclaiming off a q tip seems difficult.

When times are rough and there is nothing in the cabinet I re-vape everything, including my ABV and reclaim. However when times are flush the reclaims stay in the first glass cleaning soak bottle. Not so much to save the reclaim but to preserve the ISO. Will it get you a buzz, yes. Is it nasty, IMO, yes. Is it worth it for someone else, I don't know. I use Q,Tips and their cotton for a number of cleaning and filtering tasks. Cleaning the reclaim out of cotton is just another ISO rinse task but IMO the cotton adds nothing good to an already not so tasty mix. Enjoy you friend and the cottage.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I can't help you with the Rise, as I have no idea what it looks like or where the scrapeable parts are. I would probably do it in phases...scrape cold first, then with a little heat, finally a cotton wipe or something, since you can vape that, too. But, again, I don't know the Rise well enough to help with specifics. You will end up laying around and figuring out what works best for you. There aren't a whole lot of Rise users on this forum to help, anyhow. Just don't use anything that can scratch surfaces or break any glass that gets touched.

ginolicious

Rise has no glass parts thank god. And yea not a lot of Rise users on this board. Guess I'm a unicorn haha.

Vaping cotton not something I'm looking forward to and probably will not do. Guess I'll just clean and toss it out.

If i run out of dope I just buy more. Shits easy to come by.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@stickstones turned me on to hemp fiber and I have used it to make 'Hemp fiber reclaim sandwiches' by scraping the golden, thick reclaim from my Solo stems and placing it between two penny sized sets of hemp fiber. I then put the sandwich into my Solo stem and vaped it with my Solo and bubbler. I've done this 3 times so far. The first time I got huge clouds, really great taste but only a moderate buzz. The other two times the buzz was stronger and I'm not sure why other than I used way more reclaim.

ginolicious

I use to smoke resin from my pipe or old bowls in my bongs years ago. I am familiar with the taste.

I guess I would have to put the oil in my oil chamber over herb chamber. Love the Rise. Does everything.

What would be the best tool to scrap with for solid metal that is flat and easily accessible?

ginolicious,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
This ain't no resin hit...it's vapor oil! You will not taste smoke at all. Just use anything that fits in there to get it out. You can either put it with some herb, cotton (I know you said you won't, and I don't blame you...tastes like laundry), or on a concentrate pad if one came with the Rise. If the configuration is right, you could put it on top of some stacked screens and hit it. But my lack of knowledge about the Rise is limiting how helpful I can be.

HD Springer

Sticks turned me on to the filter in the vapor path also and after a few sessions I push the filter down to where my bowl would be and the amount of clouds and the taste and the effects are IMO equal/better then any bud I put in it. If I could vape nothing but reclaim I think I would. Maybe not. But I really like it. It's just another great byproduct of vaping. Sticks you my friend are a trend setter.

PurpleDazed

is reclaim worth it? well to me thats like asking cheech marin or tommy chong is smoking a dube' worth it.

Answer is HELL YEAH!!!

one of the reasons I vape is that anything I use to vape with that might collect residue from vaping I want to collect and reclaim it. why because that residue is pure with no other substances like you get from combustion. I reclaim alot by cleaning my pieces after use with iso and saving the used solvent in mason jars and reusing till the color is a nice amber color then evap and reclaim the goodness.

ginolicious

The more I think about it, the more I think iso does something negative to the reclaim. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

I feel it would be less pure. It's like making shatter and not extracting all the butane from it. One reason I do not smoke shatter.

HD Springer

@stickstones I wonder if the quality of the ISO has any correlation to potency or quality of the resin? What I've always wondered is what turns the evaporated ISO/resin mixture black. I've always let my mixture evaporate at room temps. I've never compared a pure resin hit to a ISO washed resin hit. Very interesting question.

HD Springer,

howie105

I'm noticing it is weaker than reclaim that I get without iso. makes me wonder if we are altering anything with the iso.

I think its how one goes about the process. I run all my glass, whips and screens through an ISO rinse and then strain that ISO back into its container. So it gets all the moisture and junk off the outside and inside of the kit as well as the "reclaim", also the container in use a clear plastic one which probably doesn’t preserve the magic as well as it could. I am sure if I were carefully only cleaning only the inside of the airway glass with with new clean alcohol, storing it correctly and processing it with an eye on consumption it would produce a better result. However I am cheap and lazy so I don't get the goodies like I could.

ginolicious

I have now decided to clean my chamber.

I am using a bobby pin to scrape my reclaim. I'm then going to heat the bobby pin so the reclaim falls off into a little jar I managed to find. I think it's a baby food glass jar. I think I'll be doing this from now on. I'll let you know my reclaim process went. Will be a while before I vape it.

Lucky me I have several chambers for my rise so I can use some that have screen or with screens for oils to vape.

Top Bottom