IS LEGALIZATION THE BEGINNING OF END FOR CANNABIS?

ejackyou

Hamilton
I Read an article on the future of stock market investments for Cannabis Growers.
Of course their values are surging lately, since legalization has occurred in California and eight other states in
the US, and now in Canada, especially with the addition of 'recreational' product.
I guess investment will continue to grow for some time.
But eventually if not sooner, as the buyouts of smaller Growers continues, the Stock Market will begin to view the Cannabis Industry no longer as the 'mystical' culture of 'Wizards' producing all kinds of new product to enhance everyone's life, a panacea for curing all of Society's ills.
Soon the 'Cannabis Industry' will be viewed as just 'Farmers' cultivating their crops, like any other.
Thanks to the ultimate Greed of the 'Stock Market' these farmers will no longer deserve any special compensation for their efforts, leading to meager Profits for the owners and of course less for Workers,
the Huge profit will now belong to the 'Shareholders', Productivity, and Profit!
This of course will lead to all types of cost cutting measures by the Cannabis Growers, which will see poor
control of the propagating and quality of new strains, unabashed development of new types of plants,
even now we are seeing strains chosen not for their quality, but for the speed, Bud size and appearance of
their growth! Hydroponically grown in a chemical bath with fake sunlight. Even all Ruderalis are crossed!
Let's not even guess at the influence of the Pharmaceutical Industry, all types of Food industry, and the likes
of Coke and Pepsi and Beer and Liquor industries that don't care about anything but giving the required,
Buzz, and making Massive Profit.
AND lets not forget Government! What a massive Tax Grab, many Fines, and Laws for the Rich and Laws for the Poor, Total control! Maybe even standardized strains for their THC content, to appease the Police?
Is someone as yet Guarding the Gate? Are there many Seed Banks, established? To store up All the early and present strains? The development of Cannabis Culturing is still in it's infancy. Even now we have crossed strain upon strain, crossed with Hybrid upon Hybrids, where will it stop, not until we just have One gigantic
indiscernible Soup?
I think WE Need to start to Counteract This Now!
For instance, do you foresee the likes of 'Canopy Growth' separating off 'Tweed' as a Small Totally Independent Grower for the local domestic market?
I believe the existence of Cannabis as we know it Today, has to be credited surprisingly to those who devoted
their time, effort, and endured the Risk, for the Love, and for their want to share, the Bud, rather than just for huge Profit?
Profit is not a bad word, until it becomes grossly exaggerated On the Backs of the Common People!

The good news is, you can always grow your own at home. That's the huge difference between cannabis and most other commodities. I could never grow my own personal use in vegetables or wheat but I can easily grow my own needs in cannabis.

And, big business knows this, believe me.

As for beer and edibles and stocks. Buy now. Buy low. And, enjoy the ride.

arb

Semi shaved ape
The penalties for distilling liquor are generally more severe than for growing cannabis......be careful what you wish for.
Funny how my felony for cultivating cannabis is still there unlike the time I spent in prison which is long gone.........lolz.
See Budweiser and Busch for the future of cannabis.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Meh...there will be mainstream normalization and homogenization, but there will always be smaller companies that grow high-end aficionado strains and products made from them. Just like in the alcohol market...you have the mainstream big companies that make what the mainstream crowd drinks...and then you have the smaller local craft beer and specialized high-end distilleries that make what the smaller percentage who care about taste drink.

ejackyou

Hamilton
I'd like to stay on the positive side But,
The Up and Coming New Generation seems bread on 'Price is King' and are more likely to
buy the latest iteration of multi-crossed lineage with the Funniest Name rather than
purchase a More Expensive, Commonplace, tried and true strain.
Nor do I see the vast, vast number of those individuals going to all the Trouble and Work of growing
their own limited personal supply. We are in the age of 'Let somebody Else do it!'.
Middle Class is sagging quickly, Cost of Living going Up, Disposable Income Dwindling, yet
the restaurants are packed All week, Supermarkets are steadily increasing their
'Prepared Food' sections, now, they offer to do Your Grocery shopping for You, Fast Food
Joints are Ubering their crap to You, but Sure, 'Lets start a little Farm!'
It's Two Different Worlds? Success is judged differently Today!
My hope is that the Small Cannabis farms Flourish! Because they are satisfied to run
an extremely Profitable Business, perhaps a Family Business, that takes Pride in their Label, and
which provides exceptionally well for the owners, and takes good care of their employees.
These are the ones that I hope will be 'Our Salvation'
But! ONLY if Many of Us decide to totally Support them NOW, not Soon or Later!
It's up to Us!
The more Esoteric Consumers,
The Home Growers,
to Spread the Word!
'Support the Little Guy'
Now!

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
We are in the age of 'Let somebody Else do it!'.
I believe this statement is inaccurate at best and naive at worst. It is easy to see it that way if you want, but I look at all the things my generation does for themselves that the generation before does not do. My 8 year old for example knows how to cook and mow on a pedal driven lawnmower and is now learning to use the electric weedeater. Not cause he has to, in fact I never asked him. He asked me. Now the 6 year old wants to learn since he sees his 8 year old bro mowing the front yard all on his own. I know were not an exception but actually more of a typical family. At least as far as the families go around here. We are very active and we travel and I see what it takes to keep cities "alive" and I can deduce that it is not the previous generation keeping it alive.

ejackyou

Hamilton
I believe this statement is inaccurate at best and naive at worst. It is easy to see it that way if you want, but I look at all the things my generation does for themselves that the generation before does not do. My 8 year old for example knows how to cook and mow on a pedal driven lawnmower and is now learning to use the electric weedeater. Not cause he has to, in fact I never asked him. He asked me. Now the 6 year old wants to learn since he sees his 8 year old bro mowing the front yard all on his own. I know were not an exception but actually more of a typical family. At least as far as the families go around here. We are very active and we travel and I see what it takes to keep cities "alive" and I can deduce that it is not the previous generation keeping it alive.

ejackyou,
Reactions: arb

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
How old are you @ejackyou
What generation are you from that is so superior that it is leaving all other generations for doom? How much money do you make and why can't younger generations make that same money.

In one year, I make more money than my mom or stepdad have ever made if you took their best year each. In fact it takes both of them to make my salary almost. I have 4 older bros. The oldest makes less than me, one just went broke trying to conquer the drywall world, and two are making bank (more money than I may ever see). 3 of the 5 of us care about locally grown, locally harvested or organic products. Were spread out across the board in finiancial success with one of those 3 just barely making it, 1 doing just fine just barely but holding stong and another whom is making it bigly at the shirttails of his father. The financial success has not altered what we strive for or what is important to us, so I just do not see financial status having anything to do with your original topic or my kids success at reaching the same quality of happiness in life that I have been able to achieve. Having 4 kids means my financial success has not always been enough and at times I had to reach out and ask for help. And there were even times where we didn't get help and had to make sacrifices to get by so I understand being on the poor side of things. I also have been able to experience the richer side of things from time to time. The money has had little effect on our lifestyle.

I just think shitting on any of the next generations shows a lack of experience and involvment with that generation. I also think it is highly stupid for anyone to think that someone younger that is gathering more insight and relevant knowledge is not going to be smarter than themself. My kids will surely be smarter than me. Shit...in some ways I know they are already.

ejackyou

Hamilton
I Surely Agree with You with regards to YOUR Kids!
And thank God You Can Afford Your Life's Mission to Find the Ultimate Vaporizer?

Last edited:

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
There will always be those that seek the boutique market. And there will always be those that just want a bud... pun intended.

You'll just end up with "juul," cartridges featuring a few flavors for the mass market, and then you'll have your neighborhood flower/concentrate outlet that is going to focus on small batch flavor profiles, pound the local or organic aspect and grab that segment of the market.

You are correct though that the market won't flourish like it should with cannabis.

The problem is that like all industries, being the biggest means a race to the bottom in production costs. The big guys will shave pennies off each-other until growing pot will be pointless commercially for small to midsize cannabis farms, and they will be forced to fold or go into a different crop.

So then small batch will have to be supported by a local population, which may or may not happen depending where you live. (same can be said for micro-brew breweries.)

But... just like how there isn't only one bourbon, one scotch or beer, everything will have a niche. It's just going to take a long time for the industry to find its feet. Hopefully we still have the grassroots drive to find new flavor profiles as before, but I also worry that might end up relegated to hobbyists, and progress will slow considerably.

Still happy legalization is here.

ejackyou

Hamilton
Yes I'm Glad Legalization is Here in Canada! (in two days)
And wouldn't You know it, in Ontario, for the first Six Months the Government
has the Exclusive on Sales! Just like Booze and Gambling!
And of course they will control and Fix Prices like the L.C.B.O..
Hopefully come April next year, the Market will Blow Wide Open!

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
The good news is, you can always grow your own at home. That's the huge difference between cannabis and most other commodities. I could never grow my own personal use in vegetables or wheat but I can easily grow my own needs in cannabis.

As for beer and edibles and stocks. Buy now. Buy low. And, enjoy the ride.
Excellent point. My vegetable garden is great for summer, and freezing and canning can extend the harvest, but I still need to buy vegetables to get through the year. Adding a few weed plants to the garden got me around five lbs. which is more than enough for the year in reality. My son pointed out that I can buy heirloom tomatoes for $7.99 a pound, but cannabis is far more valuable, and saves us far more money growing at home. I can also grow it anyway I like and know what goes into it. I won't quit growing vegetables, but I might grow a few less tomatoes, and put in a few more varieties of weed. Actually, tomatoes can go in the front yard...

Nina

I think it will be interesting to see how legalisation pans out, of course we can say look what happened with alcohol, gambling, tomatoes etc but none of these are directly analogous with cannabis (and I cant think of anything which is?) so we can only draw quite limited conclusions from these examples imo

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....

This is why it’s *ESSENTIAL* to fight for growers’ rights. The fight should already be on, as every piece of proposed cannabis legislation must include comprehensive growers’ rights.

45’s talk about changing regulations is nothing to get excited about: he’s never been for ordinary folks, business (shady or otherwise) is his only pleasure, aside from crushing those he dislikes.

In my state, you can not grow your own. You HAVE to buy from the gov stores. Plus, you can't smoke it. Only vape and edibles. Very strict. Very expensive.

Another free and open cannabis bill coming up but the gov sabotages all efforts here so all money goes to them forever.

I am voting with my feet.

It's just a transitional phase, anyway. The future of cannabis is in the hands of Budweiser, RJ Reynolds and the wonderful miracles of Monsanto. There is simply too much money for it to go any other way.

And, you can bet that those companies will be fighting for laws against home grow. They won't ever be able to outlaw home grow but they will stage enough home 'accidents' (e.g. fires and such)that they will be able to push through legislation to require license (and inspection) for home grow. And, make the license and the requirements to obtain one, way too expensive and difficult. At that point, they have 90% of the home growers simply saying, "Fuck it, it's easier to just buy it".

ClearBlueLou

It’s obvious that Big Money is in the cannabis camp now, and I’m quite sure they have a bag of gold on the scale along with their thumb.

I’m sorry your state is an example of what I’m talking about. This legal nightmare started with a federal tax on cannabis of $100 per ounce - which is probably still on the books. It has been federal money muscle that has forced the prohibition all along.

Turning it over to the states to decide is a rejection of federal responsibility in creating the current mess, it a way of washing his hands and letting those “laboratories of Democracy”, the states, continue the school-to-prison prison pipeline, keeping the prison industry “staffed” and stripping voting rights from the inmates in the process

How about a blanket nullification of pot laws, federal, state, and local; adding cannabis BACK into the US Pharmacopoeia, classified as GRAS (generally recognized as safe); release of inmates whose only crimes were cannabis-related, the purging of cannabis-related offenses from police records, the return of all confiscated property, and $10k per inmate so released for each year of their incarceration.

Nina

And, you can bet that those companies will be fighting for laws against home grow. They won't ever be able to outlaw home grow but they will stage enough home 'accidents' (e.g. fires and such)that they will be able to push through legislation to require license (and inspection) for home grow. And, make the license and the requirements to obtain one, way too expensive and difficult
Will they be able to make that fly though?
Will it be possible to establish grounds to require a licence and inspection for a plant which is recognised as safe

Now I'm wondering why people don't bother to grow their own tobacco, I suppose because it's just easier to buy it, ditto wine beer bread etc
There are lots of things where you can make your own or grow your own but in the main people opt for the convenience of buying mass produced
won't the same happen with cannabis, ie most consumers will opt for the convenience of the mass produced product, a few will grow their own?

ClearBlueLou

Convenience sells a lot of sub-standard product, for sure...can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished that I could stop off on my way home and just “pick some up” without having to go thru the usual multi-stage call and response scenario.

Frankly I expect “for sale” cannabis to become like American beer and hamburgers: you CAN get good stuff but you have to find it and pay more.

ejackyou

Hamilton
That's reasons why I feel that our Only 'Salvation' will be the 'Cottage Industry' or 'Craft'
or 'Micro' whatever You call it. The Small Growers, who will sell Primarily out of Their
own Premises, just like Many smaller Wineries. These are the the ones who will be more
esoteric in their Techniques and Principles, helping to get rid of the old stigma and creating
the type of environment and atmosphere that Us true aficionados aspire to.

That's Why we have to Act Now, shunning the Large Growers and Opting for those
Who have a devotion to the Product first and foremost, a Grower/Breeder First,
A Business man Second!
We also have to ' Educate' Others
Spread the Word!

arb

Semi shaved ape
Quality liquor and tobacco are actually hard to do........key word quality.
Quality cannabis is very easy and cheap to do especially on a small scale so there is that main difference.
The powers to be will keep it illegal for you and me to produce as that would cut into their profits........only the favored few will be legally allowed to reap the financial rewards.
I ain't buying shit.

Top Bottom