Is firefly 2 better than pax 2 for pipe smoker who likes small hits

vapeymcphee

Hi there, basically when I quit tobacco and herb spliffs I used a pipe (silver palm leaf) and got used to having single hits every now and again. I have no interest in puffing away for ages on herb and would prefer small bong or pipe hit.

I have pax 2 but find it annoying - it does great hits when you pack it full or even half full with pusher , but trouble is I only take about 4 big pulls and that is all I want. When I fire up pax again for second session the vapour just tastes flavourless and I don't enjoy having to finish it.

I imagine that with a firefly the vape on demand aspect and fact that it has smaller chamber will enable me to do what I want, which is to take small occasional hits with herb I have ground with my fingers and loaded without hassle or need to stuff a pipe screen in.

Do Firefly owners agree that the firefly would be more suitable for me in light of these preferences?

vapeymcphee,

hinglemccringleberry

Thanks guys - hmm vapcap looks like it might be just what I need
If you get a Vapcap you'll want one that has an adjustable chamber so you can set it to the smallest size... so don't get the M or the OG; they don't have adjustable chambers. You'll want one with a new Ti tip, whether it's an Omni, Uni, or Ti Glassy. If you use a Vapcap with a regular/unadjusted chamber and you pack it full, you'll run into the same problem you did with the Pax 2 - not finishing and having to come back to it later. The Vapcaps are incredibly efficient due to on-demand heating. I have my Ti Woody Vapcap's chamber set to the smallest size and that's the only way I can dust a load in 1 session. So if you're a microdoser and you really only want 2-3 hits to dust the entire load, you'll basically need to partially pack a Vapcap set to the smallest chamber size.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: DirtyD

Squiby

Thanks guys - hmm vapcap looks like it might be just what I need
You will LOVE the Vapcap.

I am a microdoser. I don't grind my bud. I just tear off a small nug from a flower and pop it in there. Heat, toke and repeat, then dump your ABV. Easy peasy and you're done in a minute or less, start to finish. I never fill up the Vapcap chamber.

I usually have my screen set in the middle ridge largely because I use a screen/filter sandwich in my Vapcaps. I have one screen sitting in the bottom groove of the chamber. The hemp filter sits on top of the screen and the second screen sits over the filter in the middle ridge. The Vapcap will deliver quick efficient smooth vapor but for over the top smooth vapor, try a degummed hemp fiber filter. Instructions are below in my signature. The filter also keeps the Vapcap condenser very clean for a long long time.

hinglemccringleberry

I don't see how a 0.025 nug can give good performance in a Vapcap. It would have to be a bigger nug that's touching most of a chamber walls. The one time I tried a 0.025 unground nug in my Vapcap I was very let down. 0.025 only works good in the vapcap if it's ground up.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: steama

Squiby

I don't see how a 0.025 nug can give good performance in a Vapcap. It would have to be a bigger nug that's touching most of a chamber walls. The one time I tried a 0.025 unground nug in my Vapcap I was very let down. 0.025 only works good in the vapcap if it's ground up.
Well, that just goes to show you that the Vapcap is very individual and everyone has their way of using it. It is an incredibly versatile and efficient vaporizer.

I have been using my VCs for a year now. I microdose several times a day every day. I never stuff the chamber. Rather, I have a small nug floating freely and not necessarily touching the sides. I get where I need to be with the benefit of great flavour. I never grind since I don't own one. It's not necessary for me. My loads average around .015 gm. I heat starting at the bottom of the cap, with the flame going back and forth over the bottom half of the cap (with a single jet. More jets don't require a zigzag as they cover a greater portion of the cap anyway). Subsequent cycles have the flame focused on the upper half of the cap.

I also mouthpull with the carb closed so I suspect I'm getting a greater convection result as air is forced under the cap, heated and passes over the nug.

Then when I'm done I only need to remove the cap and tip the VC upside down and the nug drops out.

vapeymcphee

Hey thanks for responses - sounds like u guys know your vapes - I am put off buying the more expensive one with adjustable chamber size as the price is higher like 90 US dollars or something - I originally wanted a firefly so don't want to spend loads on an alternative - I will still probably want a firefly one day.

Literally don't really want more than two big rips - although I would have 4 max if I have to - when I combust a bowl I only put flame on and pull 1 to 3 times - I am sick of combustion though now.

I currently pack tiny amount in pax enough to cover screen and double that otherwise it is too small - then stuff pipe gauze over it - end up having about 4 to 5 good rips and another 5 thin wispy ones - too much imo - makes lungs feel dry - with herb I feel less is more - no point in increasing tolerance and having to do all that smoking/vaping work haha

At leased I can afford a vap cap - doesn't look as stylish like firefly, looks a bit crack / meth pipey but sounds like it does the job .....

Is it possible to load the vapcap with just enough herb that you don't need more than one heating cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:

vapeymcphee

Thanks guys - I got my vapcap m last week and love it - much more efficient as a one hitter pipe style vape than than my pax 2 - hits harder as well - pax still good as it is more like smoking a joint than having a pipe but I am sure I will only be getting my pax out occasionally now when I want to get high more slowly.

Love the hits off vapcap - ti woody looks lovely - can omni vap be made into a woody?

Squiby

Love the hits off vapcap - ti woody looks lovely - can omni vap be made into a woody?

Yes. The Ti Woody and the Omnivap are fully modular so you can create all kinds of combinations.

The Omnivap takes a 42mm body, so any 45mm body will fit.

Or

You can remove the Omni condenser and replace it with a standard condenser with a spinning mp and wood body. Now you have a Ti Woody S

Or

You can replace the Omni condenser with an XL Omni condenser and replace the body with a 62mm stem to create an Omni XL.

Or, or, or.

You can never have too much fun with your Vapcap!

little maggie

I know this is resolved but I just want to say that I have no problem microdosing with the M. I have several vapcaps of different kinds and just pinch a tiny bit of herb without grinding. I add the same amount to all of them including the m.

vapeymcphee

I get a bit of nice flavour after first heating cycle but little vapour until second - do people prime vapcap with an initial heating cycle without inhaling and then vaping it after second heating cycle?

Why is it not vapourfull on first cycle - is it the lame torch lighter I am using ?

vapeymcphee,

vapeymcphee

The FF2 would be better than a pax for single hits sure.

But what you really want is a VapCap: https://www.dynavap.com/

You can pack it with a dugout, heat it with a torch lighter, and get 3-5 vapor hits before reloading.

I think a VapCap M is your best bet and would serve your purposes perfectly :tup:
I just want to thank you jay87 for your awesome advice - have had m for a year now - love it - game changer - who would think that a non digital portable vape would work such a treat. The firefly 2 seems less appealing now!

Top Bottom