Is a Ground Glass Connection REALLY that much better?

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Im getting the itch to acquire another vape - namely a DBV or an SSV to add to my growing collection.

Ive read the differences, and pros (and cons) of the DBV (Handsfree GG) and the (Original) SSV without the GG handsfree connex.

It seems that a good portion of the retailers nowdays are (retro)fitting the SSVs with the handsfree GG heater cover. I was initially leaning towards the original style wand as its harder to have an uh-oh moment with it as opposed to its GG counterparts (and now it unless you specify otherwise)

If GG connections are truly the way to go, then Ill just save myself some $$$ and pick up a DBV. (Then I will use the $$$ I saved to spraypaint it the color scheme I was looking towards the SSV for)

Well, that and the fact that the SSV is produced overseas?

Fuck, I might just get a box vape... This shit is making my head spin :p

EDIT
I think I may have just added more parts to my equation - I guess the GG connection hits much harder on the SSV due to the 'seal' that is formed. Fuck... More things to consider... Damn it!!

AGBeer,

steiner666

Serial vapist
All a matter of opinion really. Even if you do go with the GG style, i still think the downward angle of the heatercover and heavier (its metal instead of plastic) base of the SSV make it better. Sure, if you're tight on money you can get a DBV and mod it to be about identical in functionality by putting a standard SSV HC on it and making a modified base to give it the same angle. But i figured,with often i use my vape, its worth the premium to have it be how i want it out of the box and without butchering its aesthetics. It also comes with a nicer carrying case that zips up, for what thats worth to you. Also, i think you've got it backwards. From what i've heard, the SSV is totally made in america, the DBV is assembled in china and inspected in the US - someone correct me if i'm wrong. I'm fairly sure that's right though because i heard thats another reason for the price diff between the two. Would be a good question for the "Clearing the Air" thread started recently by a 7th floor rep maybe?

As for the original question, I havent noticed any less thickness in hits going from DBV GG to standard SSV, maybe mines just not deformed? The hits are less harsh though, and you dont get the ABV taste as early. Ease of use is the biggest + though. Not having to worry about blowback (ive never had to take my standard HC off and clean it out in the 4-5 months i've owned it, compared to the half-dozen to a dozen times i had to with my DBV, mostly due to my friends fuckups tho), not having to worry about GG getting stuck, being able to see the contents of the bowl while vaping (sides of standard bowl are clear and exposed, GG is frosted and inside HC), and being able to easily stir between hits like i always do are what i chose it for. Also, i use the speed at which i twist/work the bowl during my hits to fine-tune how hot i want the herb to get. If i'm getting good thick hits i work it medium/fast so that nothing gets overcooked, if the hits are getting thin i work it slower so that the heat sits on the diff parts of the bowl surface for longer.

If i were you I'd just get a SSV with a standard wand set as well as a GG set, to end my indecisiveness and satisfying my curiosity, lol. Might as well get a spherical GG set too while you're at it, which i have been wanting to try.

steiner666,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
steiner666 said:
All a matter of opinion really. Even if you do go with the GG style, i still think the downward angle of the heatercover and heavier (its metal instead of plastic) base of the SSV make it better. Sure, if you're tight on money you can get a DBV and mod it to be about identical in functionality by putting a standard SSV HC on it and making a modified base to give it the same angle. But i figured,with often i use my vape, its worth the premium to have it be how i want it out of the box and without butchering its aesthetics. It also comes with a nicer carrying case that zips up, for what thats worth to you. Also, i think you've got it backwards. From what i've heard, the SSV is totally made in america, the DBV is assembled in china and inspected in the US - someone correct me if i'm wrong. I'm fairly sure that's right though because i heard thats another reason for the price diff between the two. Would be a good question for the "Clearing the Air" thread started recently by a 7th floor rep maybe?

As for the original question, I havent noticed any less thickness in hits going from DBV GG to standard SSV, maybe mines just not deformed? The hits are less harsh though, and you dont get the ABV taste as early. Ease of use is the biggest + though. Not having to worry about blowback (ive never had to take my standard HC off and clean it out in the 4-5 months i've owned it, compared to the half-dozen to a dozen times i had to with my DBV, mostly due to my friends fuckups tho), not having to worry about GG getting stuck, being able to see the contents of the bowl while vaping (sides of standard bowl are clear and exposed, GG is frosted and inside HC), and being able to easily stir between hits like i always do are what i chose it for. Also, i use the speed at which i twist/work the bowl during my hits to fine-tune how hot i want the herb to get. If i'm getting good thick hits i work it medium/fast so that nothing gets overcooked, if the hits are getting thin i work it slower so that the heat sits on the diff parts of the bowl surface for longer.

If i were you I'd just get a SSV with a standard wand set as well as a GG set, to end my indecisiveness and satisfying my curiosity, lol. Might as well get a spherical GG set too while you're at it, which i have been wanting to try.
You about summed up all of the pros that were steering me towards the SSV to begin with.
Guess my mind is made for the time being :)

AGBeer,

2clicker

Observer
have you looked at the spherical covers and wands?

i think the hands free of the stock DBV is better than the stock SSV, but now the GG connections are standard on the SSV... is there really a 100 dollar dif?

my DBV is phenomenal

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
steiner666 said:
and being able to easily stir between hits like i always do are what i chose it for.
this is absolutely no problem for the DBV

steiner666 said:
Might as well get a spherical GG set too while you're at it, which i have been wanting to try.
as have i so if anyone has id love to hear what they think

2clicker,

miketyson2010

When I initially ordered my SSV I selected the standard heater but when it arrived I noticed they had sent me the ground glass connection. After using the SSV with the ground glass for about a month I must say I love the ground glass connection. Hits great and I love the freedom of the handsfree. After taking 3-4 hits I'll stir the bowl and lock in back in with a gentle twist...take another hit and play my guitar. With the standard wand only thing you'll have to worry about is the contents of your bowl falling out when you place the wand down.

miketyson2010,

Beezleb

Depends on how you use it. Ground glass helps me do things like type this while vaping. I see it as what best suits your style.

Beezleb,
Top Bottom