Phase3 Vaporizers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I just finished catching up on all 199 posts of this thread! :rockon:
This looks awesome @invertedisdead, I'm certainly interested. I've been using a DIY Elev8r style set up recently and I've been shocked by how smooth the vapor has been. A 20mm coil set up sounds fantastic. Cover your eyes purists, I think It would be great to be able to use this with a torch as well :nod:

Hey @Easywider great seeing you in here brother! :wave: Much respect for taking the deep dive through the whole thread :rockon:

I think it has tons of potential as a torch powered vape, for all the same reasons torch dabbers love sapphire and ruby inserts. One of the first things I want to do when the country opens back up is commission a quartz version for testing with both flame and coil. I admit I've been a little apprehensive to torch my boro version as its the only one in existence until further notice lol :D

edit: I ran across some ceramic screens. I know stirring would be more difficult, and finer grinded herb might fall thru and get wasted, plus they'd fall out after dumping the vaped herb every time, so lots of cons, but im curious if they'd improve the flavor and maybe also get the flower closer to the heater if you used 2 or 3?

Are they honeycomb screens or more like the Vapor Brothers ceramic screens?
Nice thing about the all glass bowl is the "screen" would be fused in so it would be super easy to brush out after a session, and you wouldn't have to deal with the screen coming out when dumping. Ease of use and familiarity is the goal with the full glass bowl!

@invertedisdead @MileHighHuman

I knew I had been shown a diagram with an explanation of spheres and drag.
This was a looong time ago when the Glass Symphony was still in it's infancy and this is how it was explained to me.

Hope it helps! It's from NASA as well...

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/dragsphere.html

:cheers:

Good link, @lazylathe !

There's also some cool info comparing smooth vs rough surfaces for heat transfer in a few of the thermodynamics books I've saved. I have a fresh idea for potentially improving performance even further by incorporating more technology into this concept, I just need to source some parts for experimenting.

@MileHighHuman this is why I'm less interested in making this vaporizer larger as I feel there is other tech which could increase performance without changing the form factor. For what it's worth when I talk about improving performance I don't want to set any impression that performance is currently lacking, this is a top, top tier vaporizer that makes $700 units look like a Flowermate. :spliff:
But like race car builders and audiophiles, squeezing out that last 10% of performance is where all the fun is! :party:

:bigleaf:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead

Any updates on the going ons in the secret lab???
Quarantine has me itching for news and new videos!!!
:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Always tinkering!! Some high altitude sessions going on over here at Area 420 :leaf: getting the gears turning on prototyping some new technology for the next generation of vaporizers:science:

I predict this thread will not be around for much longer, but perhaps this will continue further over on NFC! :D:D

MileHighHuman

Maybe, that would definitely give you more heated surface area. Whether it increased performance or not, I'd have to try it to say. You could also just use smaller pearls in the same enclosure if you wanted more heated surface area. I assume both would increase draw resistance. A bigger version could be made, here's a prototype extra tall 20mm coil from 710coils.

image.jpg

Have you found much difference in the 4 vs 8 wrap coils? Obviously the 8 wrap will provide better coverage, but idk I feel like after a 10 minute heat soak the 4 wrap might be able to handle the task and perform the same / similar ?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This thread is in continuation of the original InVerzion Vaporizer thread on FuckCombustion.com

What's up NFC!! 🌻

Figured I'd start this thread to facilitate discussion on a little something I've been working on. Many thanks to those who have already been following me along with this project, I really appreciate all the kind-hearted support, FC has always been an incredible place that many of us call home, and I couldn't think of a better spot to talk about my vaporizer designs.

I first started fiddling with this idea in 2017, after experimenting with aftermarket glass bowls for my Flowerpot, I was very intrigued with the smoother vapor from such a seemingly minor change. I wondered how the vapor would differ if the entire thing was made of glass. During this same time, the Glass Symphony was making strides here on FC, I was always impressed with Jojo's pure design, but always a little bit nervous of the form factor, unfortunately I never had a chance to try that awesome vape.

I sketched out a bunch of different concepts, attempting to condense the purity of the Glass Symphony into the size of a Flowerpot. The thing about glass is certain things that are easy to do with metal, are difficult to do with glass. One of my main problems was figuring out how to securely fasten the coil to a glass vape - the Flowerpot uses a screw and nut system to secure the coil, but to make something like that out of glass could be extremely cost prohibitive. This coil mounting issue stumped me for quite a while and I somewhat lost interest in the project for some time. In fact, after doing some beta testing for Dabpress, I pretty much lost interest in vaping flower altogether, transitioning full-time into dabbing rosin. I was greatly impressed with how affordable and commonplace it was when dabbing to have an all glass air path, for years it's pretty much been standard, and I found that smooth vapor hard to beat.

image.png

The thing about rosin is if the flower doesn't yield particularly well, you can end up vaping a weeks worth of herb in one afternoon... I knew I wasn't done with rosin, but I needed a way to vape flower again for those economic times that demand conservation! Largely inspired by the simple quartz banger, I tried to come up with a conversion kit that would work with my existing e-nail setup and turn it into a dry herb convection powerhouse. The problem with that idea is a quartz banger primarily uses conduction to vaporize oils, because of that, the airflow routing is not really optimal for convection. Inspired by Buildozer and Stu's Evo On A Stick thread, I built and posted my first sapphire powered prototype, fitted inside a simple male to male glass adapter, and heated with a 25mm barrel coil I was using for my banger. I started sketching vaporizer concepts again, wondering if there was an exsiting product I could already use for inspiration? I looked through a ton of lab glass and smoking glass apparatuses for anything promising and landed on the carbon filter adapter, a smoking accessory which uses activated carbon processed from coconut husks to filter the smoke.

The carbon filter adapter seemed like a great candidate for a heater housing, and for a while I strongly considered that as my new starting platform. The only issue with that was...

1. How was I going to mount the coil to the heater? I knew from my experiences with quartz bangers if a coil was fitted too tight, it could crack the glass on the cool-down as the coil contracts.
  2. If a pre-existing carbon filter wasn't the perfect diameter as-is, then I'd probably have to source a custom heater. The problem with that is I knew wanted to use an existing coil to keep things simple. KISS!
I knew I wanted to do something a little different from other glass ball vapes, I had been using ruby and sapphire terp pearls in my rosin rig for a while and figured I could migrate those supercharged thermal properties over to a convection heater. Sapphire is more thermally conductive than stainless steel or titanium, and retains heat longer than glass, all while keeping that clean and pure flavor and smooth vapor. Plus with a convection vape, thermal shock issues of sapphire is pretty much a non-issue. Major win.
:D

I took more inspiration from my dab rig, after a particularly inspiring dab
:science:
I looked over at my enail and thought "what if I had a rod attached horizontally to secure the coil, just like my enail setup." This was a major pivotal point for this design, finally I felt like I was on to something. Even more progress was made when I changed that rod to a tube, this could double as the coil arm and the air inlet - another issue I was trying to figure out. With this new design I could eliminate the old carbon filter concept entirely, saving almost an inch in height just by removing that extra glass joint which would be at the top of the carbon filter.

image.jpg

A few prototypes later and I've finally got something that I feel worthy of sharing, I'm still working out a few more little details and finishing touches, but I really just wanted to put myself out there (something I really struggle at) and share my work thus far.

image.jpg

Gemvection Heating

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you're still reading this far I sincerely appreciate your patience, interest, and time, thank you so much for following along!
:wave:

I hope to post more usage videos, photos, theories, concepts, and renderings here, and hope you'll follow along for the ride. ☁☁☁

Much love, FC!

:bigleaf:

Vaporware

I only ran into the old thread recently and I haven’t replied to it yet, but I’ve seen you talking about this in other threads for years and it’s always sounded great. From the videos it looks like it is! I’m looking forward to seeing it released and tryIng one. :)

I haven’t read to the end of the old thread yet, but if you have a list to get one when they’re ready, I’d like to be on it!

Until then you continue to inspire me to think about my own designs and variations on this style. Maybe someday it’ll get me to actually try making one too. :science:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I only ran into the old thread recently and I haven’t replied to it yet, but I’ve seen you talking about this in other threads for years and it’s always sounded great. From the videos it looks like it is! I’m looking forward to seeing it released and tryIng one. :)

I haven’t read to the end of the old thread yet, but if you have a list to get one when they’re ready, I’d like to be on it!

Until then you continue to inspire me to think about my own designs and variations on this style. Maybe someday it’ll get me to actually try making one too. :science:

Thank you!! @Vaporware

There's been interest expressed in a waiting list and pre-ordering, but I think I've learned well enough from the other guys to hold off on that stuff until the ship is ready to set sail. Since these are made in America, by hand, I don't have any giant minimum order quantities I need to reach to have these produced, so everyone benefits.

I consider this 99% done, but I still want to experiment with a few little things. I'm going to be trying 3mm pearls soon to compare vapor production vs draw resistance with the current 4mm setup.

As far as making vapes, it's a real trip seeing an idea go from paper to vapor! :party:

Mulehead

@invertedisdead are you controlling your draw rate with the current 4 mm setup, or are you on the rev limiter resistance wise?
I’m sure at some point draw resistance will be limited ultimately by your intake/hanger tube diameter.
You’re getting excellent vapor production on your videos.
Also would or does making your intake hole smaller act like a carb cap? Does feathering the intake hole with a cap lower the boiling point?
I don’t recall this being discussed already, forgive me if my memory has failed me.

Terpenetime

@invertedisdead have you checked out the Elev8r thread recently? A number of guys over there are pairing a glass Elev8r heater with a 16mm coil, which on the face of it seems similar to what you’re doing, unless I’m mistaken? Some are also filling the heater with glass balls. It’s now got so popular that VGoodiez is even offering a kit that includes a heater with a pre-fitted coil for $130.

Please note that I don’t want to take anything away from what you’re doing as you’ve clearly put in a great deal of thought and effort to get your project to this point. However, IF the Elev8r hack is similar, I thought you’d appreciate someone letting you know :peace:

JEMSKU

This looks excellent! I'm convinced glass/quartz heating is the future of vaporization :)

Is your current prototype built of parts you had to commission or is the bead housing a standard bit? Looks like a whip adapter!

Is this something you're hoping to sell or is this more of an open source project?

EDIT: One more question! Looks like the widest part of the housing is the joint at the bottom - does the coil clear the joint when attaching it? Does it fit snuggly around the housing or does this leave it a little loose?

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You've easily got a winner on your hands here, buddy!

Cant wait to start reading reviews :)

Thank you for the kind words my sapphire brother in arms!

@invertedisdead

So looking forward to a continuation of updates on our new home!!
As well as more videos and reviews when the time is right!!

@Lazylathe I appreciate you tuning in to the new channel, it's got all the best shows as the old channel, with only HALF the commercials :lol: :rofl:

Still to come, tonight, at 4:20 - Sapphire Evaporator set to 650F, the modern-classic Girl Scout Cookies with a 3 month cure, through the Kannastor and into a freshly cleaned bowl/rig!

☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁☁

@invertedisdead are you controlling your draw rate with the current 4 mm setup, or are you on the rev limiter resistance wise?
I’m sure at some point draw resistance will be limited ultimately by your intake/hanger tube diameter.
You’re getting excellent vapor production on your videos.
Also would or does making your intake hole smaller act like a carb cap? Does feathering the intake hole with a cap lower the boiling point?
I don’t recall this being discussed already, forgive me if my memory has failed me.

With the current 4mm air inlet and 4mm beads you can pretty much rip it at any speed. It has what I consider a "healthy" draw resistance. There's enough resistance that it doesn't take any well paced breath control technique to milk up like some convection vapes, but you can also really steamroll it as hard as you want without ever overpowering the heater.

One of the goals of this vape was to make something that mimiced the feel of a packed bowl in an old school combustion bong rip. With combustion, a packed bowl allows one to rip larger sized glass pieces without running out of breath so quick, but ground herb in a convection vape is the opposite of a packed bowl. The idea is the air inlet replicates the restriction offered by the "push hole" in an old school bowl/slide, and the bead pack acts like a packed bowl. The actual bowl itself having very low draw resistance from the SS screen and ground herb. This just allows heavy milk making, even in large combustion oriented pieces like the big beaker bottom I like to use sometimes for nostalgia sake.

You're spot on that adjusting the intake size will have an effect on boiling point just like a carb cap, that was another idea behind the design. This whole vape is heavily inspired by my concentrate setups, so a lot of similar concepts went into this. You can feather the end like a carb cap, I've messed with that a bit, but it's a pretty dynamic vape so you can accomplish a lot just with draw rate. The idea is the bead size would also be adjustable for those looking to really fine tune their draw resistance. I'm gonna play around with 3mm beads soon to compare vapor production versus draw resistance. I'm really happy with the current setup, so it will be interesting to compare. I've also considered dropping down to a 3mm ID air inlet as that would allow the 4mm bead to function as the valve instead of the current 6mm ruby valve bead.

Looks great! Cant wait for more info and videos and would love to try it out one day

☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Thanks for stopping by, @Stonedbadger :wave:

If there's anything specific anybody wants to see in a video, let me know and I'll see what I can do. :sherlock:

@invertedisdead have you checked out the Elev8r thread recently? A number of guys over there are pairing a glass Elev8r heater with a 16mm coil, which on the face of it seems similar to what you’re doing, unless I’m mistaken? Some are also filling the heater with glass balls. It’s now got so popular that VGoodiez is even offering a kit that includes a heater with a pre-fitted coil for $130.

Please note that I don’t want to take anything away from what you’re doing as you’ve clearly put in a great deal of thought and effort to get your project to this point. However, IF the Elev8r hack is similar, I thought you’d appreciate someone letting you know :peace:

I've been following the Elev8r thread since page 2 on Ye Olde FC! Definitely like what people have turned it into. Heck, if all those mods were going on before I started this project, I'd probably be using one of those right now! :science: It did cross my mind that people might lose interest in my vape with these Elev8r mods, but many of the people that have expressed interested in my vape are Elev8r owners :D

This looks excellent! I'm convinced glass/quartz heating is the future of vaporization :)

Is your current prototype built of parts you had to commission or is the bead housing a standard bit? Looks like a whip adapter!

Is this something you're hoping to sell or is this more of an open source project?

EDIT: One more question! Looks like the widest part of the housing is the joint at the bottom - does the coil clear the joint when attaching it? Does it fit snuggly around the housing or does this leave it a little loose?

:rockon: DEFENDERS OF GLASS, KICKER OF VAS :rockon:

Yes the housing is a custom made part, made right here in the USA by a 3rd generation scientific glassblower. Coincidentally it has turned out looking a lot like a whip adapter, the inspiration for the coil arm came from my quartz banger neck, but I definitely see the visual connection. The funny part is I even considered using a whip adapter in a different vape design, but that was positioned as an all glass butane powered vape.

Originally this was just something I built for myself to see if I could, but I always knew that if I made something good, that others would want one too, so the goal is to offer the finished version for sale. The idea was to keep things as open source as possible by using a 20mm coil and standard sized glass joints. Yes the coil does clear the joint, that's also why I opted for a male joint on the housing as a female joint is wider on the OD than the 20mmcoil. That could be remedied by putting the coil arm closer to the middle instead of the top but I like the look of this layout.

This current prototype in the videos has a 19mm OD so the coil fits very loosely, but as you can see in the clips the sapphires do all the heavy lifting, even with little contact with the coil it still powers through anything. The goal was for this vape to work with any 20mm barrel coil without needing to do any coil adjustments. My original prototype was 20mm OD, but it seems like the reality of hand worked glass tolerances is that some adjustment may be unavoidable. I cracked my initial 20mm prototype from too tight of a fitment, I could tell it was tight but I purposely did not want to adjust it to see how it faired with a coil straight out of the box. The 19mm version was a wild idea to see if it would work without any coil adjustments. It works very well, but I still plan to revert to 20mm for the final version as it will reduce PID temperatures which people seem to respond well to, even if its more subconscious than real world performance gains.

:leaf:

Terpenetime

I've been following the Elev8r thread since page 2 on Ye Olde FC! Definitely like what people have turned it into. Heck, if all those mods were going on before I started this project, I'd probably be using one of those right now! :science: It did cross my mind that people might lose interest in my vape with these Elev8r mods, but many of the people that have expressed interested in my vape are Elev8r owners :D

That’s good to hear 👍

I like what I’m reading so if you don’t mind, I’ll hang around to see what the finished article looks like. Hell, I may even want to buy one too!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Can you post a pic of that rig? Seems nice. Looks like a TAG from that base.

:peace:

No problem!

FBA05-A34-0381-4-EE5-A809-6-B546657-FA87.jpg

I picked this one up for $70 right up the street at a local head shop. Nice versatile all-around tube, works well for both flower and oil. I don’t usually opt for multiple percolators, but I’m digging how I can run water in one perc for less draw resistance, or run water in both for more cooling and chug.

Top Bottom