Internal Charring in Log-Type Vapes ??

lwien

I'm sure that Tom (when he gets back from moving) or Rick can post up some pics, eh? Would also like to hear them weigh in on this as I have no doubt that both of them have had the occasion to take these puppies apart after years worth of use. I realize that their answers may be spun a bit due to both having a vested interest, but I'd like to hear from them anyway.

lwien,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
stinkmeaner said:
Somebody with a more current but well used Log Vape should open it up and see if there is any charring. Shit, that Ettera could be from the Reagan Administration.

Kind of like our draconian drug laws? :o

AGBeer,

hereatlast

Yup these current Log Vapes char too, probably a lot quicker than we'd think. It seems just a part of the design, I wouldn't have known until I saw it myself. I asked Tom about this as well but I won't take his answer out of context and post it here. Pics will be up in a few.

hereatlast,

stinkmeaner

AGBeer said:
stinkmeaner said:
Somebody with a more current but well used Log Vape should open it up and see if there is any charring. Shit, that Ettera could be from the Reagan Administration.

Exactly! I still can't fathom how a Government can put you in jail and taking away your freedom if you use drugs, the whole concept is just bizarre and I can't help but wonder what gives them the right since we are all born on this earth as equals.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

stinkmeaner said:
AGBeer said:
stinkmeaner said:

Exactly! I still can't fathom how a Government can put you in jail and taking away your freedom if you use drugs, the whole concept is just bizarre and I can't help but wonder what gives them the right since we are all born on this earth as equals.

Talk about hijacking a thread, but...............we in Cali are gonna address this issue. I just got my sample ballot today.

lwien,

mudstar

Humanist & Discgolfer
Found this thread and, since I'm the recent purchaser of a log style vape, am interested in whether or not I should leave my log plugged in 24/7 like I plan on doing. Seems only natural that charring would increase with the amount of time the vape is plugged in...

I know some people use timers for their vapes, or just plug 'em in a bit before use...was hoping I could leave mine plugged in. Is this what most people do anyway?

Interesting discussion.

mudstar,

lwien

Yeah, I left mine plugged in 24/7 for awhile, but when I started having loose heat exchanger syndrome, I only fire her up now when she's about to get used. ;)

lwien,

stinkmeaner

lwien said:
Yeah, I left mine plugged in 24/7 for awhile, but when I started having loose heat exchanger syndrome, I only fire her up now when she's about to get used. ;)

lwien, do you know approximately how long it took to get loose, or till you noticed it?

stinkmeaner,

lwien

stinkmeaner said:
lwien said:

lwien, do you know approximately how long it took to get loose, or till you noticed it?

Ummm.......uhhhh........gonna guess here. I think about 8 months. When it first happened, I taped the clip back into place and it was fine for about another month, but then it happened again. Now, about a year and a half in, I have to give it a good tap about once a month. But there is nothing that I have physically done to the vape to cause this, such as dropping it or smacking her hard on the bottom which is the reason that I thought it just may be wear and tear from keeping it on 24/7, and after what Rick just said previously in this thread, it looks like this may be the cause of it.

With that being said though, I wouldn't trade this particular PD for anything else. It's vaping at the perfect temp for me when I want to get really toasted. ABV comes out a VERY dark brown.

lwien,

caseball2051

i understand your concerns lwien.

but wouldnt constantly turning on and off weaken the unit as well? soldering or something?

caseball2051,

Rick

Zapman
Constant on and off will expand/contract the wood more than leaving it on 24/7. As for the longevity issue, lwein may have a point but the only way to 'prove' it would be to have two identical units side by side, same use except one gets turned off and one stays on. Then follow them for several years.
I am always amazed at the diversity of our customers. Some can make these things last and last for years with nary a rattle(even the old softwood zaps) and others seem to get them rattling fairly quickly.
I do know we keep Zaps plugged in 24/7 and have for years. We will get a little rattle after many months sometimes, sometimes not.
I do not think the wood is actually burning and producing smoke. I think they would be burning up if that was happening. There is a lot of heat produced in the heatport and that will char the wood after time but it is not "burning". Just my opinion here.
The questions about longevity are of course very valid but there is not a clear answer on that IMO.
These are 'durable goods' in the marketplace. That means they are like a fridge or a stove or a TV in that they are meant to last for a period of years. Not forever though.
We are also finding that if one tweaks them to run "hotter", their lifespan can be decreased. Our wood houses a heater. It does not sit somewhere at ambient temperature on a Mantel for someone to look at.
Wood in log vapes gets used AND adorned. So it changes over time..........

Rick,

lwien

caseball2051 said:
i understand your concerns lwien.

but wouldnt constantly turning on and off weaken the unit as well? soldering or something?

Yup. That was my feeling as well and is one of the reasons that I kept her going 24/7.

Rick, thanks for the response. So here's the question. Turning it off and on expands and contracts the wood. Leaving it on increases charring. Which is the least of the two evils? For me, I've decided to only turn her on when needed. Don't really know if that's the correct decision though, but I think it is.

To any newbies or lurkers reading this thread who are considering purchasing this type of vape, PLEASE don't let this discussion dissuade you from doing so. My PD is my go to vape, and if I had to do it all over again, it STILL would be my go to vape. I have no doubt that Zap users here feel the same way about theirs. They are both, without a doubt, the most efficient and some of the best vapes on the market.

lwien,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
i think this topic explains why my pd rattles so much. thanks dudes.

SSS,

hereatlast

I'm not sure that charring is the direct cause for all the rattling.

I'll second lwien's disclaimer above, the PD is my rock :cool:

hereatlast,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
hereatlast said:
I'm not sure that charring is the direct cause for all the rattling.

I'll second lwien's disclaimer above, the PD is my rock :cool:

i'm not sure either but like lwein i haven't dropped it or mishandled it and it still works.

SSS,

reece

Wow, I forgot about this thread. Good on you Lwien for nipping that BS in the bud (pun intended).

If there was burning, wouldn't we notice a smell and/or taste?

reece,

lwien

reece said:
Wow, I forgot about this thread. Good on you Lwien for nipping that BS in the bud (pun intended).

If there was burning, wouldn't we notice a smell and/or taste?

If I put my nose close to the heat exchanger, there is a nice, pleasant smell. Nothing bad, mind you. Kind of nice really. Definitely, not bud. On the other hand, it could be the smell of Buzz Butter. I'll have to do a smell test tomorrow. But no woody taste though at all. Just the fine taste of good bud.

lwien,

vap999

Is wood in the vapor path of these vaporizers? Or are current log vapes hermetically sealed, such as having fully stainless steel or other metal air paths?

vap999,

stinkmeaner

For those using a 13.5V instead of the 12v, you might want to reevaluate if you really need the extra voltage, surely the charring would be much worse with a higher temperature.

stinkmeaner,

hereatlast

I just want to mention that the charring pictured above caused no structural damage, i.e. the wood still fully supports the HE weight; in my case I know for sure that the charring isn't the culprit for the HE's rattling.

hereatlast,

fidget

Now that Tom is back posting it would be great to hear his views on this.

fidget,

Choism

Funny how Tom didn't get around to answer Iwien's question about the charring.

Choism,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
To add to the topic, I'm confident my CRZ will not char.

To get slightly off topic, I do have a question (as I'm sure others do), and this seems the best place.

WHERE THE FUCK IS LWIEN?

Magic9,
Top Bottom