Interesting experiment

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
This morning I did an interesting experiment: I stuffed about a .1 g nug into the middle of a long glass tube, put a finger over each end to starve the tube of oxygen, and heated the fuck out of it (red hot) above my stovetorch.

As expected, the weed did not combust (because fire needs oxygen). As expected, a whole bunch of vapor and resin escaped the nug but had nowhere to go. As expected, the nugget came out very dark and crispy. This is actually really cool to watch. I'll make a video soon.

Aimless Ryan

I haven't done anything yet. It's all stuck to the inside of the tube. Later I'll plug one end of the tube and use the other end as a mouthpiece, then use Stovetorch to heat (and vaporize) again. (I've already done it once. It worked well. No good flavors, though.)

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm pretty sure that smouldering combustion can still occur with very little oxygen present...
I would say that if your bug is coming out very dark and crispy, id say you have released benzene, among other undesirable compounds that release with these high temps....

Just because you have stopped actual combustion by not providing oxygen to the mix, doesnt mean your vapour is 'clean'.....

Not trying to poo poo on your experiment, just maybe don't heat so much next time....
And I have conceren for you buring yourself...

Please be carefull..... vaping is much harder with burnt fingers.....

Aimless Ryan

There was no combustion. Even the smallest combustion event is obvious in at least two ways (taste and sight). At the very end of the video you may have seen a slight red glow. That was red-hot glass. (Like an EVO lately?)

I did this for educational reasons, not consumption reasons. I am not worried about what cannabis might/won't do to my health. First of all because it doesn't do anything to anyone's health, even when they smoke it; second because I don't necessarily expect to see 2018. I fucked combustion because combustion hurt my lungs, not to be healthy (after coming here to read about grinders). I still intentionally combust occasionally. If it didn't hurt my lungs so much, I would combust a lot more.

My fingers have plenty of burn scars right now to support your statement.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
First of all because it doesn't do anything to anyone's health, even when they smoke it; second because I don't necessarily expect to see 2018.

Thats very sad and im sorry for your situation. Do what you gotta do man...

But you cannot say that smoking cannabis doesnt do anything to your health, thats just not true, and potentially misleading information for people...

Smoking any combusting material is detrimental to your health.... I don't think there is any doubt here...

Aimless Ryan

Thanks.

For all I know I might still be alive in 30 years. My disease is not likely to kill me. But an accident is. I'm very lucky it hasn't already happened, as I have had many terrifying falls. Snapped a femur just from standing. I don't do that anymore.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Thanks.

For all I know I might still be alive in 30 years. My disease is not likely to kill me. But an accident is. I'm very lucky it hasn't already happened, as I have had many terrifying falls. Snapped a femur just from standing. I don't do that anymore.

I can only imagine being in your position...
Please do take care, you looked mighty shakey in that video...
But all in the name of science, I respect that...

I may recreate it myself tonight to see how well I can vape a bud in vacuum...
You could be onto something here, or not...
Thats the point of experiments I suppose...

I'm gonna use a @DDave wand and my vapcap torch....
Wait..... I'm a hand short....

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Interesting experiment. :science:

I'm wondering if such a concept could be used to lower the boiling points of the actives so that you can use a lower temp thus preserving flavour. :sherlock:

You'd have to heat twice, once for the initial extraction and then once to actually vape the result.

If you keep experimenting I'll gladly keep watching the vids :nod:

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
well decreasing of boiling points can't be done only for the goodies, benzene and others will also be formed at lower temps with low pressure
For the term combustion in a chemical sense there would have to be 4 reactions at the same time - here it' would be mostly pyrolisis, so i would call that pyrolisis oil...

Used2use,
Reactions: kellya86

Aimless Ryan

You gave me an idea. If I can find the motivation, maybe I'll do this again from a better/closer angle, then put the crispy nug in a pipe and smoke it. (You can't smoke ashes.)

Aimless Ryan,
Top Bottom