Innauguration Day...whatchagonnadoo?

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello Fuckers! (to those who haven't read this in my posts, it is an endearing term to those who have said fuck combustion :lol: --the combustion fuckers ;) )

Anyhow, as most (if not all of you) know, today Barack Obama was officially inaugurated into office as the President of the United States of America.

Most agree that (at least on some level) this is a monumental day. I personally feel that today has been a monumental day in a multitude of ways.

Despite my hope for change that will benefit the US as well as the world as a collective entity, I recognize this day does not symbolize a solution to all of the problems of the US and the rest of the world with whom we interact. Rather, IMO, this day shines especially bright because of the opportunity for each and everyone to take responsibility for contributing to the change you desire :shrug: .

I am therefore proposing that each and every one of us who is interested in participating in this effort for a better world make an 'Inauguration Day Resolution' (whether you decide to say fuck-new-years-day-resolutions or not :lol: ). This could be anything that you can do as an individual to have a positive impact that has a good potential of having a ripple effect that leads (in some way) to a 'better' world :D .

Whether you live in the states or not, IMO, you DO have this opportunity to take responsibility for steering society towards becoming that ideal, utopian world you may wish existed. "Progress is regression without direction"--Unknown Author (sorry :( ).

I, too, consider myself hopeful (just not blissfully-ignorant), and I look foreword to what resolutions my fellow combustion-fuckers are interested in making to help make sure that change (should any happen) is in a favorable direction :cool: .

As always toke it easy (and much love to all of those who spread the vapor :)

Progress,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I'm also optimistic, but I know that Obama won't be the savior people hail him as. I'm glad, and hopeful that our nation can 'grow up', this is certainly a pivotal moment.

I called into work today. :p

//edit, first bowl of the day... I dedicate this one to Obama. Cheers man, you got a lot on your plate....

SpiralArchitect,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
im kinda sick of people talking about him like hes some sort of messiah, even my girl noticed this and she sees things in a very different way than i do (more childlike, simpler [not in a bad way mind you, its part of the reason i enjoy her company so much])

personally i think hes just going to be another puppet, just like bush was a puppet and so many other presidents before him, he doesnt have as much power to change us politics as people think, and i dont think theyd allow him to change it unless the change was in their favor somehow...

the bars been set pretty low for him anyway, and i sincerely hope to eat my words

Acolyte of Zinglon,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
personally i think hes just going to be another puppet, just like bush was a puppet and so many other presidents before him, he doesnt have as much power to change us politics as people think, and i dont think theyd allow him to change it unless the change was in their favor somehow...
I hear you on that, most decisions are made by his team and not that of a singular person. He's just the guy that speaks well and that can motivate people. I can tell that his native intelligence is much higher than the previous guy, but as you said, the bar is pretty low.

My goal this year is to pursue my entrepreneurial goals to open a high end dog day care center. This won't send any ripples thru the country but you can bet I won't be asking for a gov bailout!

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Great idea on the dog day care center. Shit, make one up here and you'll make a fortune.... as long as you don't mind dealing with big stinky malamutes.

As for Obama being another 'puppet' or not changing anything. It's possible, but I think it's too early for us to draw a conclusion like this. He has been president for a few hours :lol:... and this comes from a guy who isn't very fond of him in general. Every president is surrounded by a 'think tank' and of course a lot of the decisions are not made of a singular person. To think that Mr. President calls all the shots would be silly.

And my personal resolution will stay the same, I just like to spread it's message, it's the old adage; Be the change you want to see in the world.

SpiralArchitect,

Beezleb

I dont really care about it. Just another election with a different color scheme.

Nothing will really change but heres for hoping.

Beezleb,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Obama said:
For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism - these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

This is the price and the promise of citizenship.

SpiralArchitect,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello,

Thank you to all who contributed something.

SA - You seem to be very open-minded and intelligent (may those qualities serve you well). I was so glad you commented despite not being (overall) an Obama supporter. I really liked the Obama quote you included (sentiments like that I emphatically support)
AoZ - personally i think hes just going to be another puppet, just like bush was a puppet and so many other presidents before him, he doesnt have as much power to change us politics as people think, and i dont think theyd allow him to change it unless the change was in their favor somehow...
Thank you for contributing. A couple of questions: 1) Who are the puppeteers? 2) Is there some way you can get a hand up the puppet's skirt as well? 3) Who is they that won't allow him to change anything unless it were in their favor? 4)Have you ever heard in strength in numbers? Do you believe it exists...is powerful..enough to create change for the 'better'?
SM - I hear you on that, most decisions are made by his team and not that of a singular person. He's just the guy that speaks well and that can motivate people. I can tell that his native intelligence is much higher than the previous guy, but as you said, the bar is pretty low.
Presidential/national decisions definitely include the insight of cabinet members, experts, etc. I do not personally see this as a problem. Rather I hope this phenomenon continues, so we can all become part of that group of individuals until it includes everyone impacted by the policies created.

I end by reiterating: What changes would you like to see? and What can you do to help make particular changes happen? (or maybe you are all content with how everything is in this world? :/

SM - Best wishes with your doggie-day-care dreams

Progress,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
Thank you for contributing. A couple of questions: 1) Who are the puppeteers? 2) Is there some way you can get a hand up the puppet's skirt as well? 3) Who is they that won't allow him to change anything unless it were in their favor? 4)Have you ever heard in strength in numbers? Do you believe it exists...is powerful..enough to create change for the 'better'?
i was mostly speaking of the politicians behind the scenes who pull all the strings, the president doesnt have as much "real" power as the general public thinks,

theres a huge amount of money invested by corporations and special interest groups to keep everything just as it is, not to mention the corrupt politicians who will take that money and support those special interest groups whether or not it is in the best interest for the nation, not enough is done to combat corruption in politics, and thats the thing that really needs to change

another main change i would like to see is for the government to stop using minorities as scapegoats, and im not just talking about racial minorities. government is meant to protect the rights that people have to do whatever they want, as long as those actions dont violate another person's rights, whether that be the right to consume a natural herb, or to have more than one wife (as long as the women's rights arent violated) the government should be regulating business, and not private citizens and what they do of their own free will in their own personal time

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Honey Bear

Saying that Obama is just a puppet and that things will be no better than under the Bush administration is just as insane as the people who treat him like the messiah. From what I can tell, Obama truly cares about the American people, and he is an extremely intelligent man with upright morals.
He has appointed, for the most part, absolute ballers to help make important decisions. Though you never know what will happen, Obama does not seem greedy at all, and seems like he would be completely averse to using his power to make money for associates, friends, and himself. Bush appointed people he was loyal to, and the result was a few hits with a lot of misses. Bush used his power to control money. Bush was an illogical, stupid man who either lacked truly good intentions when making decisions that influenced many or else was simply not capable of making the right decisions. I would say that it was a disgusting combination of the two.
To the extreme doubters, you are completely in the right to doubt the worshipers. Politics in our country are very, very messed up, and are of course influenced heavily by money and corporate control. Even if Obama tries his hardest, it will be a very slow, difficult battle against all the corruption that exists, and even with two well-executed terms, he would not be able to completely change things and make them perfect.
However, I believe that he will at least try. And that his efforts, the efforts of a logical, morally upright intelligent man, will definitely make a difference. It will at least be a little bit less easy for corruption to run a muck. Society will at least be governed in a slightly more logical way. People's lives will improve. The United States of America will improve. People's image of the United States of America will improve.
If Obama really is a puppet and does nothing to combat corporate corruption, it will be very disappointing. But that will not happen.
While very few may be sitting on their asses expecting Obama to save them, it is silly to waste too much energy on zooming in on them. There will always be people doing stupid and ignorant things, but why focus on that?
Focus on the kids in Africa going totally fucking nuts, because I'll be damned if their situation won't at least get better, and if they don't have a real reason to hope, and if they're collective, positive energy is not improving their situation.
Look at the moral of people in the United States. Yea, the country is halfway down the shitter right now with a lot of issues, but fuck that, six months ago I felt little to no connection to this country and now I am even somewhat proud to claim allegiance.
Being overly negative gets you nowhere. Look at Progress' realisticly optimistic outlook--it can't hurt to get a little inspired and rally, at least within yourself, the change you want to see.

Honey Bear,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Excellent post, Honey Bear. Precisely my feelings, thank you for taking the time to write them out better than I ever could.

My friend's little brother said that every class in his high school watched the inauguration. This is in Canada. I wish we had an Obama.

Progress said:
Hello Fuckers!
Love it! :lol:

Good on you for taking some initiative!

vtac,
Top Bottom