Inhaled Stainless Steel Smoke (Crafty Liquid Pad)

FR0ST

Background
I've recently turned to vaporizing for medical reasons. For the past few months I've spent hours deliberating over what vaporizer I should buy; mainly using this forum, along with any other information I could get my hands on. My main concern with vaporization is vapor purity, safe materials, no potentially harmful off-gassing etc.

I'm mainly interested in CBD, as it's legal in my country, and if it works for me, could become an invaluable tool towards helping me travel (without any worries of legality).

After searching for a long time, I finally found a vendor selling CBD products, with laboratory results and certification to back it up. This was a very important aspect, as I wanted to know exactly what I would be inhaling. I purchased UKCBD's 710 RASPBERRY Dab, after reading their test results, and confirming that the only residual solvent was 80ppm of Ethanol, and there were no fatty acids, which should make it just fine to inhale as a dab.

What happened
A set of 4 Crafty (Storz & Bickel) Liquid pads arrived today, along with my CBD concentrate. Unfortunately I found that the Crafty's Liquid pads would not fit into the Chamber of my Lotus vaporizer (which I'm borrowing from a friend). But I was keen to give this a try, so I attempted to load the liquid pad into a glass pipe, and balance the Lotus's cap on top.

As you can imagine, this didn't work very well. So I thought I'd just finish off the dab by licking the liquid pad with my lighter (a normal lighter not the torch lighter I use for the Lotus). I was watching the liquid pad, and after a few seconds I saw a tiny puff of smoke, then a little flame, then one strand of the stainless steel mesh was glowing bright red.

As you can imagine this was suddenly extremely harsh, and I instantly began exhaling as soon as I realized what was happening. After this I had some really bad asthma, and had to take my inhaler 3x in succession.

As you can imagine, considering how important it is for me to find a vaporizer with clean air paths, I was pretty devastated at the stupid mistake I'd just made! I really wasn't expecting the wire to ignite like that!!

So question is, can anyone educate me towards how much damage I've done to myself / how bad it is to inhale stainless steel smoke :(?

Last edited:
FR0ST,

chris 71

i have used many a stainless steal and brass screens in many pipes over the years . i even remember after a while with the brass screens they basically dissolve . which i cant imagine is very good for you . and im still pretty healthy but doesnt mean i think its ok anymore but ya i think you will be fine ;)

FR0ST

Haha thanks for the reply - I'm not sure if it makes me feel much better, or just a little sorry for you :rofl:.

I'd like to know if anyone knows the 'science' behind inhaling stainless steel smoke though. All I could find was the following medical article about inhaling stainless steel welding fumes: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21309664

"Short-term inhalation of stainless steel welding fume causes sustained lung toxicity but no tumorigenesis in lung tumor susceptible A/J mice."

And I Imagine that stainless steel welding fumes are probably much worse than just burning some stainless steel with a lighter.

Either way, I won't be stupid enough to do that again. At least now I know that vaporizer liquid pads do not work for combustion :cuss:. Hopefully the relatively small amount of fumes I've inhaled won't be too much of a big deal!

FR0ST,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Try using cotton and wrap your concentrate with that. You can even go to the trouble of getting organic cotton. Not sure if you were aware of that? There's a thread dedicated to that. I've heard folks using hemp fiber too. I don't know how difficult it is to get? I know @stickstones is a good resource for knowledge. On his website he sells hemp fiber, he sells vaporizers too.

I just bought a Haze - cenentrate work out pretty well using that, I've been happy so far. I have used ecig style pens, some are probably better than others. I find the pens that I have tried harsh. I seem to have some lung sensitivity.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: FR0ST

FR0ST

it probably wasnt smoke from the steel more likely smoke from the concentrate you light on fire lol

Fair point @chris 71, after I'd stopped panicking I did think that it was probably mainly dab smoke. If so, god that shit is harsh!!! (This is the first time I've ever tried a dab lol).

You inhaled a lot less than anyone who has ever welded. If you didn't get chunks caught in your throat you should be dandy :)

Yeah @killick at least it wasn't welding fumes, and I wasn't inhaling any dust / steel particles, so I'll try to chill now :rolleyes:.

Try using cotton and wrap your concentrate with that. You can even go to the trouble of getting organic cotton. Not sure if you were aware of that? There's a thread dedicated to that. I've heard folks using hemp fiber too. I don't know how difficult it is to get? I know @stickstones is a good resource for knowledge. On his website he sells hemp fiber, he sells vaporizers too.

I just bought a Haze - cenentrate work out pretty well using that, I've been happy so far. I have used ecig style pens, some are probably better than others. I find the pens that I have tried harsh. I seem to have some lung sensitivity.

@CarolKing I did look into using cotton for a while, although I didn't like the idea that none-organic cotton could contain pesticides etc, and apparently even organic cotton is still bleached and processed. That is if any of the people on this thread (http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.com/thread/36505/myths-standard-cotton-wool-organic) are to be believed. And I'm not sure how much difference boiling the cotton will make.

I think as you mentioned, using some kind of plant material would be ideal, whether it's hemp fiber or something similar. Though you need to be careful when using some herbs, as they can contain and release fatty acids, which if inhaled can cause Lipid pneumonia :whoa:.

So maybe the answer is just not heating the crafty's liquid pads to combustion point.. :doh:! Ha. I'm guessing that these liquid pads should be totally safe to use of out the packet in the Crafty itself right?

Thanks for all the help guys :)!

Top Bottom