in-thread questions at moderators frowned upon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derf

Hey mods,

I've seen several posts with red lettering at the bottom as a response from mods. These posts usually are from unhappy users who are either new to the forum or displeased with a product. For example:

user X posts about vaporizer ABC in the vaporizer subforum, but not in the ABC thread. So their post is merged into the ABC thread. User X is at first confused about where his post went, and then is discouraged that instead of being at the top of the vaporizer forum threads, it is on page ## of the ABC thread. Now they question why the moderator did that and the moderator writes in red that discussion with moderators is not allowed in the public posts.

Now... I've read the rules, I know what they say. So when I ask, "why is discussion with moderators in public forbidden" I hope I won't just get the response "because that is what the rules of the forum say when you sign up".

I'm all for net neutrality, and an open internet, and freedom of speech and all that... so sometimes it feels a little oppressive when the mods come down with such a heavy hand, and blanket statements. ANyway, just wanted to say that.

Derf,

caseball2051

by having this rule i think it helps keep threads 95% on track. while they sometimes veer off the beaten path of the topic, they still remain on topic.

I cannot speak for the mods however, and have no idea what theyre reasoning is. just tryin to help!

caseball2051,

OO

Technical Skeptical
this post will be deleted quickly because it is against this forums policy to publicly question any action by the mods.

but i'm there with ya derf, 100%

OO,

Nycdeisel

haha I figured the same thing, But I feel your example will be put to good use in this topic :laughing:

Nycdeisel,

frogbmth

It's not an uncommon rule in forums. In general the reasoning is that the forum management team would like to consider, discuss amongst themselves and respond to criticism over their judgement without the pressures that come with having to respond straight away before a bunfight ensues on the public board. Just because such things are done in private does not mean that there is anything to hide, that is simply a way for the best possible outcome to be reached. Bunfights tend not to end well on public boards.

I can't speak for this forum's management as how the rules came about here, but remember that it is a hard job done by people devoting their own time for our enjoyment of the board. They support us, the community, so I figure they deserve at least the same courtesy back.

frogbmth,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Derf said:
So when I ask, "why is discussion with moderators in public forbidden" I hope I won't just get the response "because that is what the rules of the forum say when you sign up".

I am guessing that you have limited experience with internet forums because if you have, then the answer should be self-evident.

The rule is there to prevent a descent into chaotic endless (and ultimately pointless) arguments with the moderators. Yes, it is because those are the rules when you sign up.

ETA Also, what frogbmth said while I was typing

pakalolo,

lwien

Agree with both frog and paka.

Imagine what it would be like around here if that rule was not in place. Fuck, we, I, argue enough about the quality, or lack thereof, of various vapes on the market. The last thing we need around here is to have endless threads arguing with the mods as to how to enforce the rules or which rule is valid or not.

It's a thankless job, and personally, I think that they are doing it very well for the benefit of us all.

lwien,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i've been on a multitude of forums, and the only ones i find that have a policy similar to the one in question are sites with millions of members, which this site doesn't, and on that forum they rule tyrannically. that type of behavior has yet to be seen from the staff of this particular site.

this site does run things quite a bit differently than any other forum i have been on, like no PMs (understandable), and by only allowing one thread on each topic (i still don't understand this).

every other site, excluding the ones with a shitton of members, still allows discussions of staff activity, often it is encouraged that it be done in private however.

OO,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Feedback for the mods may be received better through an email IMO.

But I am all for unedited threads (just not at the expense of a somewhat organized resource)

Progress,

Nosferatu

But its ridiculous having to read through 100 pages of user conversation and mixed in tips about the actual vape. I think there should be a forum for each major vaporizor. So when you click index you see the forums of each major vape. And maybe a forum for new vape makers to post their ideas, and mods can later make them a forum if its a success. And of course the other forums and more would still be there.

Nosferatu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think that would be a good idea, too. One thing I've noticed is missing is a "Newbie" section or a "Vaping for dummies" category that could explain vaporizing to people on a very basic level so they understand the concepts involved before they start asking stupid questions (albeit understandable since they have no other forum to post in) in the model specific forums. Just my :2c:

:peace:

Stu,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom