Impromtu Underdog Vape design contest (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
I've got to make a couple vapes this coming week and one of the most difficult parts is coming up with a design so I decided to have a fun little brainstorming contest. Here are the rules as I make them up on the fly:

1) Anyone who wants to play message/email me to be added to the roster before I finish my 3rd cup of coffee Sunday morning. If you don't let me know in time to get added then you're out. :uhoh:

2) I will supply a list of possible woods and approximate size limitations and then all contestants have until 3rd cup Tuesday morning to submit their ideas. Submissions can be in whatever form you can best relate your idea: cocktail napkin sketch, g-code, finger-painting, smoke signal, SolidWorks drawing, narrative and dance.. whatever.

3) Submissions will be posted and votes will be taken for 24 hours or until I get tired of counting them to determine the winner. The creators of the top three designs will be awarded prizes ranging from mediocre to 'meh' and allowed a celebratory dance if they so choose.

4) I will do my best to create 1 or more of the winning designs and if/when finished will post up the results for all to mock, er, I mean praise. :brow:

So, anyone who's interested in playing let me know so I can add your name to the roster right away and then get to brainstorming!

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Alright, contestants are starting to trickle in! I'll update this post with the roster every couple hours until blast off.. :p

The wood types/sizes you can use and/or combine in your pieces are:
White Ash - up to 4" thick in 1" increments no more than 8" long
Black Walnut - up to 2" thick in 1/2" increments no more than 5" long
Leopardwood - up to 1" thick in 1/2" increments no more than 5" long
Purpleheart - up to 1" thick in 1/2" increments no more than 5" long
Cherry polka-dots - 1/4" to 1"
Walnut polka-dots - 1/4" to 1"

You can also specify leather type on the bottom too in your design if you want. Feel free to use the vapes on the website for examples of styles, woods, leather types, etc. Keep in mind your designs don't have to be fancy or anything, don't get scared off it's all in the name of fun here! :lol:

**edited to add wood info**

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Alright guys I've got you all down, hopefully more people come along before my coffee break in the morning or this is gonna be a small group haha!

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
stroh said:
i will try my hand at this if you don't mind Dave :D

Alright, got you added to the roster.

>> If I get anyone doubled up on the roster let me know, if you message me directly I don't always know your username here on FC so it can get confusing..

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Alright everyone, I'm done with my coffee and the rostering is now closed. I was hoping for at least 10 contestants to sign up and we didn't quite make it so I'm going to allow submissions from non-signed up people too.

Submissions must be sent to me by 3rd cup Tuesday morning, again in any form you want from sketch to dance.

The following users who signed up early are going to get bonus prizes for punctuality:

caseball2051

djonkoman

RumbleShorts

biojuggernaut

placetime

stu

stroh

Also a quick design note: things made on a lathe (how I make my pieces) need to be symmetrical to be more easily made, look at the pieces on the website for examples. Designs of any type will be taken but I hope to try and make one or more of these so try and help me out here... ;)

underdog,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Here is my sumbission. I wanted to get it in tonight because I'll probably be too busy and forget tomorrow.

I decided to go with the "bar napkin" method since I see it is an approved means of submission. :brow:

I imagine this piece to be made from 2 hi-contrasting types of wood. Maybe the Black Walnut with the White Ash. It features 4 grooves in the body for super grip technology!

I call her "Edna". I have no idea why.
underdogsketch.jpg

:peace:

Stu,

stroh

errl enthusiast
diggin the design Stu, heres my entry, hope its not too confusing, i used good ole MS paint :lol:

royalflushdh.jpg

sections A, B, and C will all have the same hexagonal shape, as sections 1, 2, and 3 will have their own same sized hexagon.

the idea behind this was a poker theme, the middle section is supposed to represent cards(the red and dark bown polka dots supposed to represent suits), the large walnut section the table, and the purple and the white pieces as chips. also it would be neat if the bottom lining was a green felt material to emulate the feel of the tabletop.

stroh,

underdog

Manufacturer
Good work guys this is great!

The rest of you guys who've sent me your designs if you want you can go ahead and start posting them here...

underdog,

djonkoman

as I mentioned earlier in the underdogthread I think it would be great to have an entire underdog-chesset, so my inspiration was my favorite chesspiece
it's with paint so a bit sloppy, maybe I'll work the form out a bit better on paper
208w4mg.jpg

oh btw, the woodspecies are purpleheart, leopardwood and black walnut(googled pics of the wood and cut out the forms I needed)

djonkoman,

caseball2051

To make it fair since most others posted up, underdog you can post my design with the details. I did mine as soon as I saw the thread. I wanted to get it in before the storm so I emailed mine in!

I hope everyone else is safe! And good luck!

caseball2051,

underdog

Manufacturer
caseball2051's design:

Im calling it "The Serpent." Here are all the details, some of which youll see probably unclearly in my attached photos.

- 3 inch wide
-5 inch tall
- ergonomically designed for waterpipe and stand alone use. There are finger slots on two of the sides. 4 on one side, and 2 on the other. This will make it comfortable in the hand whether used standing normally, or upside down when attached to a water pipe.
- the device will consist of 10 (1/2in) rings.
- Each right will have a cutout that will be filled in with the darker walnut wood. (or vice versa, walnut unit, ash squares)
- they will be offset to give the illusion of a serpent wrapping around the unit.
- the bottom most square will be 1in wide and will have a small LED to indicate power. this will make it look like a snake head, with an eye.

14awjfn.jpg

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Nice work guys, nice work.. keep em coming.

I'm headed off to work all day so I won't be back to answer questions or comment until 5pm PST.

underdog,

pinoy

PACQUIAO!!!
If you could design a Underdog Vape that looks like the cube from the hellraiser movies that would be great.

pinoy,

placetime

Wife and I did some quick brainstorming, and she sketched out a couple of ideas. (She suggests that a ladybug vape would make an awesome first prize for this contest. :cool:) I hope it's OK that I'm submitting two at once--I'll delete one if that's a problem. :peace:

LadybugVape
underdogladybug.jpg

MushroomVape
underdogmushroom.jpg

placetime,

underdog

Manufacturer
placetime said:
Wife and I did some quick brainstorming, and she sketched out a couple of ideas. (She suggests that a ladybug vape would make an awesome first prize for this contest. :cool:) I hope it's OK that I'm submitting two at once--I'll delete one if that's a problem. :peace:

LadybugVape
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/placetime/underdogcontest/underdogladybug.jpg

MushroomVape
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l529/placetime/underdogcontest/underdogmushroom.jpg

Awesome designs there placetime and your wife did a kick ass job with the sketching too. I don't have a problem with your two designs at once, it can be one for you and one for your wife. :)

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Ok guys I will be closing the contest at 5pm PST my time as I finish my 3rd cup of coffee at that time today. Please have all your submissions posted up here or emailed to me, if you email me please make sure I also know your username here! Good luck, have fun, hurry up.. :cool:

underdog,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device

I've have sent you an email with a google sketch up file with 3d model..
It needs some reshaping in order to be more symmetrical but i think i expressed my idea.. well-enough..
As dimensions i would like it to be a small as possible whitout being too vulnerable to heat. :)

Abysmal Vapor,

underdog

Manufacturer
Alright people I just stumbled in from work and that means the contest is officially over.

I want to congratulate everyone on their crazy and fun creative ideas, thanks for playing!

I think the best way to do the voting would be using a Poll on our Facebook page so I'll add the pictures/designs over there and put up the Poll here in a bit so you all can head over there and vote here shortly.. I'll update this post when it's ready.

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Ok the submissions have been added to the Facebook page in a contest gallery: Contest Submission Gallery

look through the submissions and then "vote" for your favorite on the Contest Question on the Underdog Facebook page

Yeah I know the whole process is clunky but I'm a vaporizer arteeest not a contest-organizer/facebook-ninja professional.. :o

So, yeah, vote now or forever hold your peace. piece? peas? ah, whatever... just vote. Voting goes until I get bored and decide to call the contest quits. :lol:

underdog,

placetime

not sure if I (or my wife ;-) get to vote, but if so, my/our vote(s) go for the ladybug. :D
(can't vote on facebook without a facebook account, and we don't do facebook :/)

placetime,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom