• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Imperfections in scientific, higher end glass brands?

wallpaper

I've recently purchased a Manifest Glassworks straight pipe from a reputable online dealer. I've chosen MGW based on reviews and a general consensus that it's a very good brand. Upon arrival today, there are noticeable scratches in the glass, the base is uneven causing a slight wobble, the downstem is off centered, there's even a raised bump looking like a grain of sand or something, that I can catch my fingernail on.

Is there a certain level of imperfection to be accepted with a piece like this and I am being too picky or did I get ripped off?

Here are some pictures I've taken of the scratches: http://imgur.com/a/rOBst

wallpaper,
You need to gauge how personally bothered by these imperfections you will be going forward, you don't need permission to be picky! The important thing is to act immediately if you expect anything from the vendor. They will be less inclined to believe you/accept your return if you wait more than a few hours after receiving your piece to contact them.

AdmiralAlpacha

You got to keep in mind that glass is a handmade product, and it will often not be purpose.

Having said that it sounds like your problems are more than what I would consider normal imperfections.

The glass should not be scratched or have anything(sand) in it.

The off center down-stem can be an example of human inconsistency, but depending on the price of the piece, and how off-center it is, it's up to you if it bothers you.

If it were just one of the problems you listed personally I wouldn't be bothered, but combine them all and it sounds like you got some kind of orphan piece. I'd give them a call.

treeman

I'd probably try and return it, I absolutely hate pieces with wobbly bases, I've lost pieces of glass that way. But I agree that individually most of these blemishes are acceptable (except the wobbly base) IMO but together, I'd be pissed. Glass is expensive.

(We'll call him B)

I would most certainty make a polite phone call and explain your displeased nature as soon as possible, mrboote has a very good point, by tomorrow any claim you have will probably be void. It's never wrong to complain about a product you spent money on... as long as you have a legitimate reason.

(We'll call him B),

wallpaper

Thanks for all your input. I did send them an email yesterday evening with details and pictures. Haven't heard back from them yet.

The more I think about it, the more I am dissatisfied. I'm expecting either a full refund including shipping and a prepaid shipping label, or a hefty discount/reimbursement.

I've purchased 2 pieces online, one was a small double showerhead bubbler, and now this MGW. I returned the bubbler because I wasn't really satisfied with it and wanted something larger. Now, having issues with this piece.. I've learned my lesson. Ill only be dealing with my LHS from now on.

Takavor23

Lev of Leviathan
Glass Blower
It tends to happen often that glass no matter how high quality is imperfect. Then there is the likely possibility of human error.

I'm sure they'll take care of your situation this stuff happens in the glass business allot but don't let it bug you. If you're lucky they'll send like a free jar or something as a apology. If I had a dollar for every free jar i've given out XD

Takavor23,
Reactions: treeman

redglassgallery

JHANPIXEL
Glass Blower
allot of times the glass itself doesn't help even the big name brand glass tubing companies (schott,simax etc have imperfections) -

many time the base is wobbly because the surface you are using itself is not flat ( i've had more than a few ppl return tubes only the find that their table was flawed )

but scratches aren't cool but do happen from time to time.

u gotta keep in mind that allot of these online dealers are selling 2nds or flaws. Thats why they are much cheaper than the LHS price-

Top Bottom