Discontinued Imp by MistVape

HerbieVonVapster

@antispleen: I'm not challenging you. Just pointing out it's apples vs oranges when comparing bowl counts. I'm pretty sure like most North Americans you are more of a "one hitter quitter" kind, or at least, as few big rips as possible per bowl kind of person. Whereas I get 30+ hits out of the exact same quantity.

And it clearly shows in battery consumption, I need one order of magnitude more heatup and cooldown cycles to get the same result. Has been the case with every convection vape I own. And as the Tubo cruise mode proved, it's during these transitions that most of the energy is spent. You don't need much Watts to maintain a hit, but you need a lot to get there. And cooling down is pure waste.

@deadlytoaster: with a single 18650, whatever the vape or attachment I get around 3-4 bowls per charge. With least efficient vapes like the Milaana it's closer to 2.5, and with more efficient ones and by pushing the cell voltage very low, like with the Imp for instance, I can get closer to 5, but never more.

With the Nomad which is pretty efficient I also only get only 3 because the low power heater becomes so anemic when the cell reaches 3.6V it's a struggle to get that 4th session (but it's possible) So I stop at 3 while there's still juice left.

The MistVape Touch was also quite efficient I found. But now that I got an Imp it's gathering dust. The Milaana has been doing the same for even longer tho...

The dusty shelf collection :) I always value your input @KeroZen it was yours and other members thoughts and impression that helped me make up my mind to purchase the imp.

Plus I never did get around to owning a misvape. It was on my radar but my tastes moved into the TC realm with the 510 devices and unregulated just doesn't appeal to me much anymore.

Since I have a few other unregulated dusty device in my collection, and only one get's much used heavy (I bet @KeroZen can guess that one) I couldn't justify adding another unregulated device well other similar types gather dust. Since the IMP does TC along with being inexpensive I couldn't resist and order it.

Honestly I'm not sure where IMP will fit into my rotation. I'm thinking it will end up sharing usage with the stempod as one of my travel vaporizers. With health issues I medicated at least every 60-90 mins. So I'm in the habit of always traveling with at least 2 devices. I'm thinking it can fill one of those spots. If not um well there always room for one more in the Vap-bar collection.

Figure worse case with IMP is I get my moneys worth tinkering with it and it joins the collection. These vaporizer might not get heavy use but there still loved. Having multi choices is great and perfect for those excursions when bored or you just want a different vapor signature.

Improvaper

I got about 70% more battery life today than usual using the old Imp body and ground glass stem. I was using a custom 14/10 short cooling stem with smaller bowls than stock anything Imp, so a little hard to compare apples to apples. But it sure seemed to get me high a lot more often without the customary battery switch. One battery all day, same settings I've been rocking for days now that always required a switch with the new body/stems. The main difference is I seem to be magically getting a lot of vapor at low temps... I'm happy with 350-385 to finish a bowl vs 370-410 or more to finish up a bowl with the new stems. I'm going to go back to the new setup tomorrow to see if I'm imagining such a big difference. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Even with the old and new bodies side by side it's hard to tell, but... it seems the new shape cuts into the old shape a bit, @mistvaporizer ? And it's a little taller I'm guessing to make room for the more robust screen shelf? Haven't you made hybrid old bodies with new stems for some people? I think I saw one on Reddit. Anyway, I'd think that might be the best of both worlds, functionality-wise. I feel that the thinner wood of the new body maybe doesn't help with efficiency, sexy though it is.

But I'm just guessing here. Thanks for bearing with my incessant need to tinker. :) I hope my testings never in any way seem unappreciative of the work you've already achieved. I love everything about the Imp, and the tinkering is maybe the best part for me!

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@Improvize: I'm not fond of the new body shape. I think I'd rather have the old shape but with the new stem system support.

That being said the draw restriction with the standard 14mm stems is not that bad. I find that I need to draw harder than with the iHeat though. But the heater happily keeps up and the hits are really not too shabby.

@HerbieVonVapster: your Imp is still in transit or do you have it already? I was surprised by how much punch this little guy can have, don't be fooled by its small size! I'd like to hear how it compares to your various Splinterz.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Can we opt to get a non-circumcised version? Asking for a friend..
Sure but it is more work
and will cost a bit more.
As of today the mouthpieces won't come standard. They take too long to make too give away. They will be on the cooling stem and with the three pack. Trying to keep the price the same but i need as bit more margin.
@Improvize i like your tinkering.
@HerbieVonVapster yours is next to ship I'm pretty sure, order 329

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
032-CD910-E6-D1-49-D8-827-E-B4092114-AB31.jpg

Same amaryliss only over 20"
More than doubled in height in five days! Gotta get some of those growth genes in my white widow plants

Sativapo

I don't remember who was asking but the IMP fits on the pico 25. No problem to change battery. Mine at least. And it's s super stealth.

Last edited:

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Yes the new body is just the old body with some curves cut in. I opted for it mainly to make it look different from the rbt stuff. I was seeing splinters posted on ig and couldn't tell if it was mine or his.
From a marketing stand point i felt i had to stand out.
I have dosing capsules coming. They will be 60% more volume than fury2 caps. They will fit in the glass O ring stem or in a wood stem ( to be announce later). It will all fit the new stem system.
Should arrive in the weeks.
They will be a bit pricey at first, $6 each, please bear with me on the price. They cost me over $4 each not including incendental costs. Next order the tooling is paid for and i can get the retail down to maybe $4 each

HerbieVonVapster

Got my Imp today and trying it out on some of the mods. In the Movkin Disguiser it fit fine. TC isn't the greatest on that mod but it does work with the IMP.

DNA mods no problems with TC working . Just need to adjust material file or TCR values. IMP runs good on them. Wattage use is lower than some of the other 510 devices so it
should get decent battery life.

Going play around a few day before commenting on the performance. First impression is it's even smaller than I expect. Another thing is I really like the wood grain on this one.

2dmaxcp.jpg

168smmv.jpg

16m2kn6.jpg

anfujs.jpg

EDIT

Might be my new travel partners

xnzsjm.jpg

Last edited:

Improvaper

Yes the new body is just the old body with some curves cut in. I opted for it mainly to make it look different from the rbt stuff. I was seeing splinters posted on ig and couldn't tell if it was mine or his.
From a marketing stand point i felt i had to stand out.

I can totally understand that. I just wish there was a way to do it without quite so deep of a cutout. That combined with the loss of mass from losing the inner taper seems to make a big difference for efficiency. It's like night and day when I switch setups. I can't figure out of it's mostly the body change or the stem change, because I can't figure a way to effectively mate the new stems with the old body to test. The difference in body mass is greater than the difference in stem mass, I'd guess. But regardless, it's 70-80% more puffs per battery with the old setup for me.

There's a ton of things I like about the new stem setup, and I agree the new body is beautiful and unique in the market. For me, though, I just can't give up the efficiency in my day to day, so I've been rolling with the old body and shorty glass stem with 2 new cooling beads and a Dynavap fat mouthpiece to hold them in. Little hybrid. The thing I dislike about the fat mouthpiece is the absolute orientation when rotating stems in usage. I know you're more into the wood thing, but maybe consider a silicone sleeve alternative with more of a baby bottle nipple sort of thing (oh boy, here we go again:worms:) that is symmetrical 360°? It would certainly be cheaper and I find it's a pretty effective solution at combating heat and acting as a cap for beads.

Right now I'm working on a convenient and tiny carrier of a day's worth of herb with storage for avb that isn't a total pain in the ass to use on the fly without a table. This, to me, is a more valuable goal than the perfect dosing cap setup. I'm just tired of managing caps at the end of the day or early in the morning before heading out, and the residual heat of all the metal is not ideal for my microdosing usage. At least that's where I'm at this week. :lol:

sickmanfraud

Right now I'm working on a convenient and tiny carrier of a day's worth of herb with storage for avb that isn't a total pain in the ass to use on the fly without a table. This, to me, is a more valuable goal than the perfect dosing cap setup. I'm just tired of managing caps at the end of the day or early in the morning before heading out, and the residual heat of all the metal is not ideal for my microdosing usage. At least that's where I'm at this week. :lol:

@mistvaporizer has the solution: http://mistvaporizer.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=49

HerbieVonVapster

Interesting device I can see the appeal as a micro dose device. I'm not much of a micro dose user so keep that in mind as you read my thoughts of the IMP. My goal with the IMP is a small travel vaporizer backup for the stempod.

So with that goal I first played with it on the DNA40 setup sadly it just doesn't produce results I was happy with. This has nothing do with IMP performance was more wishful thinking.
Without changing out coils in the IMP the DNA40 wasn't really able to correctly run TC mode just watts. Not sure why DNA40 even half ass ran TC on IMP. Being a SS coil it shouldn't have worked at all. I ended up spending way too long messing with it and never got results. Maybe down the road I will screw with it more with different coils.

Later on I will try the IMP on the P80 for now I'm taking a break from my travel goals. So I have tossed it on the spare Paranormal250c to see what it can do. My impression of the IMP on the paranormal are really good and mirrors others thoughts on here. If shopping for a micro dose device on the DNA mod there's a lot to like here. It's able to produce quality vapors and does a great job of evenly roasting the material.

But.... one issue with mine is the noise the airflow produces. Mine makes a kind of a weird sucking gurgling type sound in use. I could see it making stealth use more difficult? It's loud enough where you can here it across the room when in use. If I block one hole its almost goes away so I think has do with placement of the 2 air intake holes.
I also notice this sound varies depending on placement of the wood body. Is there a recommending position for the the air intake holes? I been lining them up to face the coil but still unfamiliar with devices so figure I'll ask it. The noise changes increases as unit heats up so may has something to do with coils expanding?

Some other random thoughts,
I really like the woodwork the spacer matches up nice and digging the wood patterns in mine. The curve design and it's small size set it apart from the larger 18mm 510 devices. User replaceable coils have there plus and minus. At the wattage the IMP drawing I don't see them needing changed that often.
One minus with replaceable coils is in wire quality. I'm hoping misvape will offer a option in the future for replacement coils?

On the stem system for someone with hand dexterity issues the glass stems and micro dose size aren't my preferred method. The micro dose size is more stem loading unloading and possibility of me dropping breaking them. The stems are a little hard to remove one handed and basically glass just doesn't last long in use around here.

The good thing is my Nomads wooden stems and @KeroZen SS stem fit the imp. There a bit longer than I like but they should work better for my needs. They hold a larger amount are not as breakable as glass.

Consider most of my issues are things I was aware of before purchase (micro dose size glass stems) I'm not at all faulting these items as disadvantages. There tons people that love glass and for many the micro size dose just works better. There also some people here with hand issue so wanted give my fair take on them with the IMP.

Buyers just need to research whats works right for them. I knew glass and micro dosing doesn't work me but figured I'll still take the chance on the IMP. Having the nomad stems fit was was a huge bonus and solved that whole issue for me. But others might hate wood or SS stems and prefer glass or a smaller bowl size. Hopefully the forum discussions help each person decide whats right for them.

HerbieVonVapster

Thanks the room example might made problem sound worse. It's based on asking spouse if they could hear this sound sound from 10 foot away a quite room i.e. no music tv. Kinda one those thing once you tune into the sound you notice it more.

Since without heat there is no abnormal sound leads me think it's related to coil.

I'm going go and tighten down coils and try the moving the body position related to coil when spouse returns and have a extra hand. I think the sound is something related to expansion of coils since only happens once unit heated up in use. Since others aren't seeing a this problems leads me to think it's something that maybe just related to my unit.

Other than this I'm liking this little guy. Please don't take my above thoughts as criticism. More the expressions from my personal point of view with some random babble on mixed in. The vapor quality itself with the DNA is top notch no complaints there. I'm enjoying the different signature and buzz that a new device sometimes leads too :)

i do use a lot of different vaporizers so more pointing out what's different than repeating the positives that already have been covered. I bought this device expecting the vapor quality to be good. You get to know other members on here that share your taste in vaporizer. So I already had high exception in this area :) now if it had sucked, I woulda felt the need to covered vapor quality and possible thoughts on what I felt was wrong. Since performing as I expected this just wasn't needed with the IMP and just repeating old info seemed well unneeded.

The sound is something others haven't mentioned so felt that was a more important issue to address. Once I get a chance to mess with it more i'll report back what i find.

Last edited:

Improvaper

Here's my favorite stem to use with the Imp (at home, obviously). It's a 14/10 ground connection, hits wonderfully, and it reminds me of Bob Barker's microphone.

How long would it take you to break this, @HerbieVonVapster ? :D

PQJZkFi.jpg

I also notice this sound varies depending on placement of the wood body. Is there a recommending position for the the air intake holes?

Herbie, try the body positioning described in @paytonpenn 's video at 4:45. I use this positioning and have no noise issues. Are you sure your air holes are totally clear?

@mistvaporizer wooden mouthpieces seem like something you should be specializing in. Lots of interest in that, I'd think.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

@Improvize I checked out the video you linked and how he positioned the body. Will try to watch whole video later but thank you for adding the time where this info was explained in detailed. Since your haven't notice any noise that helps confirm it something just in mine that causing it.

Wow that mouthpiece looks like it's getting some heavy use. It would have been broken before it ever got a chance to get that dirty around here. :) I'm always dropping stem and the vapor bar happens to be over a tiled area in my living room.

Now that the muscle wasting has spread to my other arm things are only going get worse with me dropping stuff. Life's a bitch and bitching about it really doesn't solve anything so I try not too bring it up too much online. Still it does effects my choice of vaporizer and sometimes it comes up in my posting on the usage aspect of a vaporizer.

Improvaper

@Improvize
Now that the muscle wasting has spread to my other arm things are only going get worse with me dropping stuff. Life's a bitch and bitching about it really doesn't solve anything so I try not too bring it up too much online.

Gotcha. I'm sorry, I can't even imagine dealing with that. It seems you're taking it in stride and to that I say cheers.

Quick unrelated question for all... has anyone ever come across 14mm rimmed screens? Like what you'd use in a StemPod or Splinter stock stem but 14mm for the Imp?

almost there

Gotcha. I'm sorry, I can't even imagine dealing with that. It seems you're taking it in stride and to that I say cheers.

Quick unrelated question for all... has anyone ever come across 14mm rimmed screens? Like what you'd use in a StemPod or Splinter stock stem but 14mm for the Imp?
Check out @DDave website, I have a bunch from him from one of his kits

Top Bottom