Pen Imag Plus

SamsonsRiddle

I dunno.... for $55, I'd say the sometimes annoying 3 minute shutoff is fine. Maybe not "perfect", but pretty damned close.

No one said to read the whole 1,147 pages. And, I wouldn't. But, you might want to look at the past 5 or 6 and learn to use the search function.

And, don't think anyone said you asked or wrote anything wrong. There's a big difference in gathering information from the vast wealth of it here, then asking questions. And, popping on whenever you have a question without even looking at anything - especially on something that has been discussed a good bit over the past week - and expecting prompt, polite replies. Once you're here for more than a week you'll probably understand a bit better.

It's a forum - and a damned good one - where no one gets paid to cater to whoever may think they're entitled - not even the mods. So, IMO probably a good idea to look around and see how things work for the most part.

I did things the other way and started at the beginning of the forum, not even thinking that I hadn't done things the way you wanted me to. To tell you the truth, I was so excited to try my first REAL vape that I just went ahead and asked a question; knowing that it had been discussed, I figured instead of picking through all the posts, that by now there would be some consensus.

The three minute time was just my own personal opinion, and not a way to battle you over who has the better opinion. The three minutes was fine by myself because I take nice slow and steady hits, but with friends it was a different story. I didn't like the 3 minute time when sharing with others, but I know there has to be a 3 minute time otherwise the mouthpiece gets way too hot. I would just take the mouthpiece off when we finished the session and let it cool down for about 5 minutes. Usually takes 3 sessions to finish off a full pack (2 on low setting and 1 on medium setting).

My review so far:

Pros: Quick heat up, true vapor without any burnt material, tastes very good, can't beat the price, and easy to use/pack/store

Cons: 3 minute session time (mouthpiece heats up after first session and must rest for a few minutes before starting a new session if with friends), would like more temperature settings, and I don't like the battery is not replaceable.

I would rate this Vape a 8 out of 10, based on my limited experience with the unit and vaporizers in general.

Hi All.

So here's an update on our experience so far. Last Thursday I initiated a support request via the website of the hated merchant. They responded a couple hours after my posting on here. Super nice, offered to refund or replace. I chose replace and am expecting 2 new ones along with packaging to send the defective ones back.
Fair enough.

When I got home I had my new IMAG Ceramic in the mail from PIU. Sweet! I unboxed it, went upstairs and plugged it in. The plug went right in, charge light lit up. (using the included cord BTW) So flash forward 6 hours and I go to unplug it and it's hard to do so... then pop, it comes out. Except, the bottom half of the male end of the charging cord is still in the IMAG! This is exactly what happened with the 2 IMAg metal chambers (v6) from the other place!
I then try all of our usb charging cords around the house. None of them will charge this IMAG. I grab the pliers, pull the end out of the imag and slide it back onto the cord and then plug it back into the IMAg and then into the socket in the wall and it charges. So, for the rest of the weekend, that's how i have to charge it. Grab pliers after unplugging to get the rest of the plug out.

I'm surprised to hear reports from rude sammy that some random charger worked for her :(

I suppose I'll be finding time later today to contact PIU.

I cant be the only one experiencing these usb issues can i?

crap...almost forgot:

I had no odd taste in it. I just loaded it with ground herb and vaped away all weekend.

I do swear there is LESS vaper cloud in general compared to the metal chamber one and I had heard a suggestion that the metal chamber is passe due to hot spots actually combusting some material.
If that was happening in the metal IMAgs though, I would expect to see ash/residue but NEVER have. What comes out always looks like dry tobacco in varying dark shades.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I did things the other way and started at the beginning of the forum, not even thinking that I hadn't done things the way you wanted me to. To tell you the truth, I was so excited to try my first REAL vape that I just went ahead and asked a question; knowing that it had been discussed, I figured instead of picking through all the posts, that by now there would be some consensus.

The three minute time was just my own personal opinion, and not a way to battle you over who has the better opinion. The three minutes was fine by myself because I take nice slow and steady hits, but with friends it was a different story. I didn't like the 3 minute time when sharing with others, but I know there has to be a 3 minute time otherwise the mouthpiece gets way too hot. I would just take the mouthpiece off when we finished the session and let it cool down for about 5 minutes. Usually takes 3 sessions to finish off a full pack (2 on low setting and 1 on medium setting).

My review so far:

Pros: Quick heat up, true vapor without any burnt material, tastes very good, can't beat the price, and easy to use/pack/store

Cons: 3 minute session time (mouthpiece heats up after first session and must rest for a few minutes before starting a new session if with friends), would like more temperature settings, and I don't like the battery is not replaceable.

I would rate this Vape a 8 out of 10, based on my limited experience with the unit and vaporizers in general.

Thanks for the review!

On the other bits, not battling at all, just sharing my opinion as well. The imag+, while a nice discreet portable for the price, is just barely a "REAL" vape. It does roast the load at a temp lower than combustion, and you can get OK vapor if you hit it while it does. My mouthpiece doesn't really get hot after a 3 minute sesh, though the body of the unit does. MP does get pretty warm after a couple of them. IMO it can be used with another person, especially for a quick 3 minute run or two to top off a buzz, but isn't really what I would consider a "party" vape. Personally, I'm not looking for that out of it. So my issues/cons are more with how it performs in relation to other vapes - e.g. the smoke-like flavor and how quickly it consumes a load for the effects it delivers over the course of that load. Different strokes for different folks and all that - and probably one of the best things about FC. Not only do you get a good many reviews and tips about damned near any vaporizer out there, but you usually get a good many of both from people who have different expectations and perspectives.

Think you'd find other vapes that may suit the needs you mention better. But, don't think you'll find any at near this price. There are many vapes out there, and most have comprehensive reviews and discussions here on FC. There are also almost as many differences between vapes - including how they actually vape, how hot they get for the user, how big of a load they take, how well they work with groups, how much of your material they require in actual use and many other factors.

You're welcome to read threads however you like, same as anyone else. But, if looking for pertinent information about what you'll get if purchasing, or what you just purchased, I'd strongly suggest you start in about 5 - 10 pages from the end of a thread (sometimes further back depending on how fast a particular thread moves). Even more so when it is a vape like this that has undergone several major changes and been updated regularly. For instance, the first half or so of this thread is about an earlier version that is built differently and probably performs differently. Nice for a historical perspective, but not too useful for what you're holding in your hand if you have the latest version.

It's totally up to you how you use your vape and FC. Would never suggest otherwise. Sorry to see you seem to be offended by my comments and attempts to be helpful. Honestly putting them out there for others who may be reading as much as you. I'm glad others helped by pointing me in the right direction when I first started coming here. Just trying to pass the same along to help other members - especially new ones - and to help keep FC the incredible forum it is.

.... Once you're here for more than a week you'll probably understand a bit better...

Hi All.

So here's an update on our experience so far. Last Thursday I initiated a support request via the website of the hated merchant. They responded a couple hours after my posting on here. Super nice, offered to refund or replace. I chose replace and am expecting 2 new ones along with packaging to send the defective ones back.
Fair enough.

When I got home I had my new IMAG Ceramic in the mail from PIU. Sweet! I unboxed it, went upstairs and plugged it in. The plug went right in, charge light lit up. (using the included cord BTW) So flash forward 6 hours and I go to unplug it and it's hard to do so... then pop, it comes out. Except, the bottom half of the male end of the charging cord is still in the IMAG! This is exactly what happened with the 2 IMAg metal chambers (v6) from the other place!
I then try all of our usb charging cords around the house. None of them will charge this IMAG. I grab the pliers, pull the end out of the imag and slide it back onto the cord and then plug it back into the IMAg and then into the socket in the wall and it charges. So, for the rest of the weekend, that's how i have to charge it. Grab pliers after unplugging to get the rest of the plug out.

I'm surprised to hear reports from rude sammy that some random charger worked for her :(

I suppose I'll be finding time later today to contact PIU.

I cant be the only one experiencing these usb issues can i?

That sucks!! Fortunately haven't had the same issues with mine. I've really only used the included cable once. Micro (or mini?) USB is the same size as my phone, so have just been charging with phone charger at home and in car. But, haven't left mine on the charger for more than an hour or so. Bad as it may be for the battery long term, I've honestly only waited for the green light once. Not trying to baby charging - just impatient with nearly last minute realization that I need to charge.

Maybe charging isn't shutting off after fully charged and this is causing overheating that then softens the glue and other things around charge port? Should be able to leave something like this on a charger for however long with no overheating, but based on the issues you're having I'm going to be sure to not leave mine on one too much after the charging light turns green. Really sorry to hear you're having these issues - but many thanks for sharing them here!

OF

Except, the bottom half of the male end of the charging cord is still in the IMAG! This is exactly what happened with the 2 IMAg metal chambers (v6) from the other place!
I then try all of our usb charging cords around the house. None of them will charge this IMAG.

Sorry you're having troubles, hopefully PIU will sort it out for you. Since we're talking new gear in sealed boxes I doubt dealers have anything to do with it (only contribution they can make is in Service?).

It is a standard USB connector, if other (normal, non defective) cables are not working the problem must be in the connector in the vape? I just counted, I have 4 micro USB cables I use for charging, I'm sure I've used all 4 on this vape by now. Micro USB males have two spring loaded latches on 'the bottom' that fit into slots in the female shell. These are a known 'soft spot' fit wise, you might check there or simply wait for one that's not defective.

Hopefully you have a backup vape? If not, sorry to say you just got a first hand lesson on why that's a good idea no matter what your primary vape is. Stuff happens. You need backup for mission critical gear.

Contact PIU and get the replacement started your way would be my immediate advice.

Good luck with it.

OF

Wzfbaby7

I would love to see pictures of what you're describing. I've never had that happen with any device, let alone vaporizer, so I'm curious to see a visual of what exactly is happening.

Wzfbaby7,
Good morning.

Thanks OF. I appreciate your responses.
Flot- you especially may appreciate this update.

So...turns out the other vendor wanted me to send the units back, then when they get them, they'd send the replacements out. Which is fine...if you didn't just get hooked on vaping! We are talking a good 2 week turn around time between sending and receiving and my special mailbox issues...sorry, can't wait that long.

Now with PIU, I got an email literally about 3 minutes after emailing them from Randy asking for a pic. I sent 2 pics on to him and 5 minutes later he emails saying yea that is messed up, I've got a new base on its way to you.It will be there in 2 days.! Wow. But what's a base exactly? Well, its the whole dang thing except a mouthpiece!? So basically a new unit. Wow that is a cool response!

ok, on to the meat. So Last night, I got the metal out of the end of this ceramic IMAG. I tried 2 of the 3 IMAG cords I have and none charged it. I tried my verizon wall charger. no charge. I took it out to my car and my verizon car charger does charge it!
So this morning it dies on me so I run out and plug it into the car 10 minutes before leaving and I let it charge for another 20 minutes or so till it finally would turn on while charging. I then did 3 cycles with about a minute between each (SJW notice- I'm passenger). The unit in general was quite warm at this point but nothing I am not used to with these 3 I have been exposed to in the last month. And not uncomfortable by any means. Just warm. So after that I set it down and let it charge for the rest of the trip which was another 30-40 minutes.
Upon arrival to destination the car charger would stop charging so I was going to unplug it and stow it away. It was when I unplugged it that I could not miss the GOO all over the male end of the charger as it came out (is that a loaded sentence or what?) I grabbed a napkin I had and wiped it. the napkin stuck immediately to it and tore off to remain on the charger. I went to fresh spot on napkin and wiped/pinched hard as I slid it through and that pulled the goo/glue off. The end of the imag had this stuff around the usb opening to. I mean, it looked liked this stuff just warmed up and slid right down and out through the usb slot from the insides. Actually, as I type that I recall it was charging end upward so it could not have been gravity. It just must be near that slot and when it warms it surrounds the charge slot/charger?? I don't know but I can not be the only one to see this. I'm bummed. Looks like I will need to spend more $ to get a better one. Both of us really like the Red setting-454 degree i think....no other vape seems to do that temp :(

BTW, this goo is clear. At a glance, easy to ignore/not realize IMO.

Last edited:

subway13029

wow Jefferson you are having some issues man...I dunno what o say but I have had nothing but goodwill with mine..maybe this unit not designed to run back to backs at 454? could be issue or could not be..butn I use the two lower settings and never had any of these type issues.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I would have to agree with subway13029... and I wonder if using the higher temp setting is the problem too. I never use mine at that setting and have had zero problems with my unit; which I use daily.

OF

..maybe this unit not designed to run back to backs at 454? could be issue or could not be..butn I use the two lower settings and never had any of these type issues.
I would have to agree with subway13029... and I wonder if using the higher temp setting is the problem too. I never use mine at that setting and have had zero problems with my unit; which I use daily.
yeah I use mine daily and couldn't imagine all of these issues..gotta be some sort of user error or just incredible bad luck

I agree. High temperature seems the logical culprit. Or rather temperature build up). However, I disagree that 'unit not designed to .....' is not an excuse for a hard failure (one that trashes the unit).

A solid design doesn't allow such things to happen.

Granted, the unit seems designed for the fast, 'hard hit and party crowd' rather than the session based and MMJ types, the fact remains this is a legitimate use of the vape. It's possible to do. If it an issue it should have been protected against in the design. They 'pushed the state of the art' with making higher temperatures than most (all?) the competition and this seems to be the dark side of that?

It's obvious some will 'chain hit' it, with back to back sessions. Like all other vapes. It's also to be expected some users will use that abnormally high temperature. A 'monkeys and typewriters' deal if nothing else.

It scares me to think this wasn't detected in development/testing. Why is it showing up now? Have they changed the production process without enough care? At the very least there should, it seems, be some sort of warning in the manual (in case someone reads it......).

I still like the unit, think it's worth it at $55, but for now think any recommendation should come with a disclaimer?

OF

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
I'm out of meds and have been roasting my supply of AVB on red with no issues.

Must be bad luck or user error

Either way you should be able to leave on charger without fear of over heating/charging.
Or use back to back high temp settings without problem.
Thought for sure once he got a unit from PIU he was gonna be good.

Good luck hope it gets straightened out.

Randy is on the case, so you're good...

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Good morning.

So...turns out the other vendor wanted me to send the units back, then when they get them, they'd send the replacements out. Which is fine...if you didn't just get hooked on vaping! We are talking a good 2 week turn around time between sending and receiving and my special mailbox issues...sorry, can't wait that long.

Now with PIU, I got an email literally about 3 minutes after emailing them from Randy asking for a pic. I sent 2 pics on to him and 5 minutes later he emails saying yea that is messed up, I've got a new base on its way to you.It will be there in 2 days.! Wow. But what's a base exactly? Well, its the whole dang thing except a mouthpiece!? So basically a new unit. Wow that is a cool response!

ok, on to the meat. So Last night, I got the metal out of the end of this ceramic IMAG. I tried 2 of the 3 IMAG cords I have and none charged it. I tried my verizon wall charger. no charge. I took it out to my car and my verizon car charger does charge it!
So this morning it dies on me so I run out and plug it into the car 10 minutes before leaving and I let it charge for another 20 minutes or so till it finally would turn on while charging. I then did 3 cycles with about a minute between each (SJW notice- I'm passenger). The unit in general was quite warm at this point but nothing I am not used to with these 3 I have been exposed to in the last month. And not uncomfortable by any means. Just warm. So after that I set it down and let it charge for the rest of the trip which was another 30-40 minutes.
Upon arrival to destination the car charger would stop charging so I was going to unplug it and stow it away. It was when I unplugged it that I could not miss the GOO all over the male end of the charger as it came out (is that a loaded sentence or what?) I grabbed a napkin I had and wiped it. the napkin stuck immediately to it and tore off to remain on the charger. I went to fresh spot on napkin and wiped/pinched hard as I slid it through and that pulled the goo/glue off. The end of the imag had this stuff around the usb opening to. I mean, it looked liked this stuff just warmed up and slid right down and out through the usb slot from the insides. Actually, as I type that I recall it was charging end upward so it could not have been gravity. It just must be near that slot and when it warms it surrounds the charge slot/charger?? I don't know but I can not be the only one to see this. I'm bummed. Looks like I will need to spend more $ to get a better one. Both of us really like the Red setting-454 degree i think....no other vape seems to do that temp :(

Many thanks for the write up! I don't think an hour or less on a car charger should do this. The simple instructions don't mention anything about power source, though they do show it plugged into a laptop. Of course they also suggest charging times that are way longer than needed IMO.

Maybe it is the high temp? I have only used Red for a few quick hits pre-dump to loosen the load, and don't really use it for vaping either. One other thing I thought of... Don't think it is the case, but just to confirm, have you been using while charging every time this has occurred? Don't see any mention of it in the user manual one way or the other, but maybe part of the problem? So far I've only done this for one 3 minute sesh in the car and that was on blue (med).

Haven't charged mine since it totally ran out of juice a few days ago, but will be doing a full charge and looking out for this and report back. Guess I should use the imag+ cord! And, will probably keep it on computer USB this time around.

Glad to hear PIU was so quick on fixing you up (temporary as that may be!), but not surprised. Randy is the greatest!

Sorry to hear of your continued issues. If you're looking for something else, both the solo and air have a lot of fans - especially with newer vapers. Not as cheap (price, performance or build) and only go up to about 410F, but may work as well or better at that temp. I've found the temperatures given on vapes can be kind of arbitrary in use. Mostly because of function differences. Not sure, because haven't tried side by side and seldom go up that high in temp, but solo at 410F may actually produce same or more dense vapor than imag+ at 454. I have a solo and could do a short comparison sesh sometime this week if you're interested. Kind of curious myself!

Plenty of other vapes out there, too. If you're set on portable and don't mind using a butane torch for heating, you should include the VapMan if you're looking. You'd have to learn some technique, but easy to go as low or as high temp as you like one you get the hang of it. Some other cool things about it, but I'm already veering pretty far off topic. Check that thread or send me a PM for more info on it or any others you see in my signature.

Totally agree with @OF above. And, think he is saying what I feel about this particular vape. For those of us with a vape or two already, this is one that will be used in specific situations - usually for a top off here and there while out and about and probably not too often on red. Hopefully it is fine there, and the issues @jefferson111 is having are related to using it a good bit heavier than most. However, any company should know some users are going to use it like this and design/test appropriately.

I'm also kind of concerned about what similar issues may be happening with lighter use that aren't severe enough to create the same level of problems. If steady red use is actually melting glue or other inside components, how much is blue doing that and we aren't noticing - and possibly inhaling?

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
Can't even imagine how it could get that hot at the bottom. Not that I'm happy about it but that's an air intake ambient room temp air passing through the area.
Makes no sense Imo should only be getting warm during charging.
I've only charged mine on supplied cable plugged into phone charger wall-wart.
Took off as soon as I noticed green lt.
Multiple back to back on red.
No problem other than warm mouth piece.

Solo is a good recommendation... Imo

Sorry to hear of your continued issues. If you're looking for something else, both the solo and air have a lot of fans - especially with newer vapers. Not as cheap (price, performance or build) and only go up to about 410F, but may work as well or better at that temp. I've found the temperatures given on vapes can be kind of arbitrary in use. Mostly because of function differences. Not sure, because haven't tried side by side and seldom go up that high in temp, but solo at 410F may actually produce same or more dense vapor than imag+ at 454. I have a solo and could do a short comparison sesh sometime this week if you're interested. Kind of curious myself!

Yea, sounds good. Please do that comparison :)

I also suspect temp claim probably varies between manufactures and models obviously so yea, I'm not too worried about it. I am willing to trust the tons of good reports one finds about these solo or airs. I/we are new to vaping anyway so I can't claim superior first hand knowledge or anything :(
Biggest dilemma seems to be solo or air. That tnt mouthpiece or whatever appears to come in different styles and one of those is one that allows for a bigger "bowl"...I believe I read that...anyway, that sounds right up my alley.

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts too. I have to chuckle at "user error" I mean there is always that possibility but there's not too much room for user error on these IMAGs IMO. I checked this one's owner manual again and made sure I wasn't violating a "DO NOT do this..." thing or something stupid. I did notice something I hadn't before: it does address the issue of back to back usage. It says to NOT turn it back on again until 3 seconds have passed :)
So... we simply are using these as they are supposed to be used.

ohh and Melting Pot...I just want to clarify something: At no point in time did/does my ceramic IMAG with gooey usb port feel abnormally warm and it never feels HOT. It just leaks apparently. I will look for more of this this evening.

Another clarification:
My 3 cycles I did this morning were not all on red. I did green, blue and then red.
I may have implied I do red all the time but that is not so. I start on blue and sometimes green- depends on strain inside my vape and whether I want a first round of mostly (to me) just taste (which I like more and more)- and finish on red..sometimes a second red session if I want to really run it out.

Last edit:

So in summation, these are the highlights of my IMAg experience:

*The 12"usb cords they ship are junk. 2 of them have come apart upon being removed from a ceramic and a metal IMAG.

*As seen across all 3 of my IMAGs (2 metal, 1 ceramic, 2 different vendors) various ones charge from various cords. Well, that is while the 2 original IMAGS took a charge. They died last thursday- no charger will charge them that I have access to now. My ceramic one will charge from a verizon car charger but not the verizon wall charger and not any other wall charger I have.

* A clear sticky substance has come from inside all 3 units and ends up coating the male end of the charger cords.

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Yea, sounds good. Please do that comparison :)

I also suspect temp claim probably varies between manufactures and models obviously so yea, I'm not too worried about it. I am willing to trust the tons of good reports one finds about these solo or airs. I/we are new to vaping anyway so I can't claim superior first hand knowledge or anything :(
Biggest dilemma seems to be solo or air. That tnt mouthpiece or whatever appears to come in different styles and one of those is one that allows for a bigger "bowl"...I believe I read that...anyway, that sounds right up my alley.

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts too. I have to chuckle at "user error" I mean there is always that possibility but there's not too much room for user error on these IMAGs IMO. I checked this one's owner manual again and made sure I wasn't violating a "DO NOT do this..." thing or something stupid. I did notice something I hadn't before: it does address the issue of back to back usage. It says to NOT turn it back on again until 3 seconds have passed :)
So... we simply are using these as they are supposed to be used.

ohh and Melting Pot...I just want to clarify something: At no point in time did/does my ceramic IMAG with gooey usb port feel abnormally warm and it never feels HOT. It just leaks apparently. I will look for more of this this evening.

Yeah... but 3 seconds shouldn't make that much difference with heat buildup. Maybe circuits need to reset or something?

I've been charging for 3 hours using included cord to USB multi port extension on computer. This was from dead (blinking red light), so guess the 3 hour charge time is correct - at least that long in this configuration. :uhoh: Still no green light, but no smells, no perceptible heat at that end (plug at cord end is cool, too), and no goo issues - just pulled to check and all seems fine. Unit was cold and hasn't been on since started charging. So seeming like the problem is related to high temp use and charging combined.

Solo isn't here right now, but will round it up in next couple days and do some mid and high temp comparing.

EDIT: Total charge time from blinking red light status to green light at charging end 3 hours and 20 minutes, using imag+ supplied cord to USB multi port on extension plugged into desktop pc. No smells, no heat, no goo.

Last edited:

subway13029

Sorry Jefferson I was no way implying that you did something wrong. I did think you were a red all the time guy..but as of said it should be designed to handle the heat if they put it there..and melting pot is right that it doesn't get overly hot anyways. I dunno..and great mystery..just don't buy any lotto tickets jefferson..lick prolly not on ur side..and melting I wish you were around..I would love to hit that errlecrric..lol

olivianewtonjohn

Good morning.

I dont believe the unit should be charged and used at the same time. I know it works but they warned testers not to do that. If this is the case they need to disable this function or at the very least let people know. Not saying this was your issue but a good thing to avoid in the future.

If youre looking to upgrade in the future, check out the arizer air or the new grasshopper (might be nice too-really new so best to wait). I can only say that I really like the arizer air

Last edited:
I dont believe the unit should be charged and used at the same time. I know it works but they warned testers not to do that. If this is the case they need to disable this function or at the very least let people know. Not saying this was your issue but a good thing to avoid in the future.

If youre looking to upgrade in the future, check out the arizer air or the new grasshopper (might be nice too-really new so best to wait). I can only say that I really like the arizer air

Hey now...Olivia might be onto something. I was unaware of the manufacturer saying that. I'm pretty sure I had read that it was an option to do so ...like a selling point.
Regardless, as I read ONJ's comment it hit me: My wife, who had less issues than me, never ran it off a battery brick but she did periodically use it while on a wall charger and charging. That is to say she did that maybe 6 times.

I on the other hand, used mine (metal chamber) all the time while charging from the extra battery/brick thing I have. This morning's use from usb car charger was a first. So maybe the charge plus use equates to a bit too much heat inside???

olivianewtonjohn

Hey now...Olivia might be onto something. I was unaware of the manufacturer saying that. I'm pretty sure I had read that it was an option to do so ...like a selling point.
Regardless, as I read ONJ's comment it hit me: My wife, who had less issues than me, never ran it off a battery brick but she did periodically use it while on a wall charger and charging. That is to say she did that maybe 6 times.

I on the other hand, used mine (metal chamber) all the time while charging from the extra battery/brick thing I have. This morning's use from usb car charger was a first. So maybe the charge plus use equates to a bit too much heat inside???
It is possible plus the problem might be compounded if you leave it in the car or your car is hot since its summer. Is PIU having you send it back? If not when you get your replacement you could try prying off the plate around the USB of the defective unit and having a look. Its probably the easiest thing to take off (I have taken the whole unit apart before-not advised). Who knows you might be able to fix it as a spare.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped

Thanks for this key info! I hadn't seen this either, but will avoid it now that I know.

ok guys...After only charging on the ride home (no use, about 45 mins) I unplugged the charger and it was to most goo'd up I've ever seen. This time I took good pics and have a link so check it out:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108342258373149783119

As for heat/summer, yea I'd agree except yesterday was cloudy and 63...actually wore a coat in the evening :(

UPDATE: So my buddy who I suggested buy an IMAG when I first did, got the glue stuff on his wall charger cord last night. His is metal chamber from the other site. ordered 2-3 weeks after ours.

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Yucky! :disgust:

What's really scary for me is looks like you have the same car charger I do. Recognize the little light on it.

Guess I'll be sticking to home charging with supplied cord and avoiding repeated sessions on high.

Still not a bad vape for $55, IMO. Sorry to hear about your luck with them @jefferson111 , but thanks so much for sharing your experiences! Hope you get straightened out quickly with all of yours and can avoid this in the future. Think the imag+ could still have a place in your vaping routine, but looks like you may be better off with a different primary vape. Glad I was only looking for it to just be a topper offer to be used stealthily while out and about. And, hope it will continue to serve well in that capacity.

GEED

Gaseouser
No doubt...
Haven't had the pleasure of doing business with PV.but I have with vaporwarehouse there also great.
Long time supporter of PIU...

Thought's on Imag+ seems air flows through entire unit.
Would of been happier if draw stopped after blocking air holes on side. Could only stop draw by blocking two holes & charging port.
With that being said its nice and heavy in hand and a quality build. Getting nice tasty vapor on green tried all settings no combusting.Heat's up very fast 30/40 sec.
Overall it will do just fine for what I need it for.
Read this, where I explain, how false draw of air occurs, and how to fix it. Air does not go through electronics, battery etc:
Possible poor vapor production issue:
Ok, so first I explain what could go wrong when the device is working. Poor vapor production is a result of extra air unintentionally leaking into the draw. This extra air enters a very unfortunate place, between the mouthpiece and top of device - the black ring installed as a closure for heating chamber, also it is a profile to receive the locking nuts on the MP. The air entering here will obviously not pass through the heated substance, carrying no vapor at all, resulting a hardly visible, weak draw.
A simple method to determine where the air is infiltrating, is to cover the two intake holes on the enclosure when trying to draw air. As the airpath is completely sealed off from electronics, and you are blocking the air intake holes, the only way to get "false draw" is at the point where MP attached. If you put some "Blu Tack" around this tiny gap, you should not be able to suck through any air, this confirms the fault!

Simple solution:
We are aiming for an obvious solution to provide maximum insulation of the path of vapor between the MP, and the heating chamber. To achieve such results, follow these two easy steps:
-Screw off the cleanable metal part from the MP.
-Screw it back only about one/one and a half turn. It will be loose, but don't worry about that.
Try to lock on the mouthpiece. If you cannot, it is because the screen obtruding too much, so keep turning about a half turn every time, until MP locks tightly again! Try again to block the intake holes on the side, you should feel now, that no more extra air gets to vaporpath! Now all you draw gets through the heated substance :D
Now having a gap between screen and rest of MP installation, you may also put on a high temp silicone ring to maximize sealing, though it is not necessary.

Well shit. At $55 I guess I'm going to have to pull the trigger on one of these. Looks like a decently made, competitively priced portable that should hold me over until the verdict is in on the GH.
One question, what's the material around the ceramic heating element?
In the PIU photo I see the herb chamber with white ceramic walls, then there's some black material around that and some brass colored material around that. Can anyone give a breakdown of the materials used?
Also intrigued by the easy butter thing they're selling. Anyone tried it?
Hi, done it already HERE, and in the X-MAX thread :D Enjoy :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Alt101

So, I decided to try and upgrade my IMAG to a glass airway and 18mm GonG. Here's what I came up with...

1) Disassemble an extra mouth piece, harvest its screen mount
4yRTyjj.jpg

OLXYYer.jpg

sBiOPwW.jpg

2) Open up 3D program of choice, make a female 18mm joint with an inset area for the screen mount and 3D print it out.
EHkYWY5.jpg

ZA35XtK.jpg

3) Grab a M/M 18mm connector and assemble
SGNlCTz.jpg

JQcOwKO.jpg

XQ5HhpN.jpg

Works great ;)

OF

2) Open up 3D program of choice, make a female 18mm joint with an inset area for the screen mount and 3D print it out.

Pretty cool. What's the material/safety at 'our' temperatures?

As I understand it the filament normally used melts at fairly low temperatures?

With appropriate materials looks very useful to me. I think the raw power of the Imag+ makes it a natural. My attempts at coupling it to a bubbler with silicone tube were awkward but very productive. This would be clearly better.

TIA

OF

Top Bottom