I'm designing a custom bubbler...

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

While looking around for a mid-to-high end bubbler in Europe, I was recommended to a glass blower in Germany called Steak Glassworks. His prices are reasonable, and for the opportunity to design my own glass from scratch, I couldn't resist!

Here was my first design:

S3WwJ.jpg

It will be used with a Herborizer 18.8 XL first off. In the future, I'd like to use it with a log vape, and maybe also a Cloud (unless its too top heavy, not sure)

Intentions of my design -
> Relatively small, bottom-heavy, stable. Simple design, relatively low-cost
> Moderate amount of diffusion to preserve flavor, simple perc system
> Diffusion holes are low in the chamber to allow low water levels
> Integrated 18.8 downstem, with showerhead joined to base for added durability and ease of cleaning
> Removable 18.8 GONG mouthpiece - can be rotated 180 degrees for 2 different vaporizing positions (eg. sitting and standing) - Gives option to use hose adapter - Separates the most fragile piece from the main chamber

Steak is going to check if its possible to join the showerhead to the base, but apart from that, he says the design is totally do-able. He also has other options for the diffusion, so the showerhead might be changed to something else. The removable mouthpiece would be by a keck clip while in use.

So now I've made a digital version of the design to work out the dimensions etc -

4CyyC.jpg

Color decisions will be made after the physical design is locked down.

So thats where the project is at.. thought some of you would like to see it. I'd also like to ask for opinions, suggestions etc, I value your opinions, glassheads!

SD_haze

Showerhead sealed to the bottom, great idea :tup:

Can't think of any improvements to be honest

SD_haze,
Reactions: NewVape

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
2 Things...

First,, there isn't anything that you can really hold the glass by. I think this would be useful if you don't want to drop it.

second, your showerhead is unrealistic because most likely it would be elevated by a peg to lift it up. This allows you to be able to use more water.

Looks cool! BUT! I must ask,, why the detachable mouth piece? I personally think it looks kind of cheasy and it's one extra "piece" to worry about. I would just go seamless.

Elluzion,

NewVape

What a guy!
You know it looks good. Maybe a little wider on the base is all so the mouth piece doesn't make it tip. but otherwise looks great. It'll work great with a log.

^^Also I'm guessing this is meant to sit on the table. If you are going to be picking it up to vape with you might think of a more cylindrical hand friendly shape as mentioned.

+1 for seamless.

NewVape,

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
First,, there isn't anything that you can really hold the glass by. I think this would be useful if you don't want to drop it.

Those 2 balls are for gripping the piece (although I wouldn't pick it up onehanded, they are just to assist holding). I think it should be enough, as the glass isn't meant to be portable, won't be picked up often. Putting dedicated handles on my bubbler isn't a priority.

second, your showerhead is unrealistic because most likely it would be elevated by a peg to lift it up. This allows you to be able to use more water.
As mentioned, the showerhead isn't finalized, and the glass maker is going to do some tests to see if its possible. I'm not sure what you mean by 'unrealistic', do you mean its technically unfeasible? Please explain in more detail. I don't know much about the technical aspects of working glass, but one of my design goals was putting the diffuser holes low in the chamber, because I want LOW water level.

Looks cool! BUT! I must ask,, why the detachable mouth piece? I personally think it looks kind of cheasy and it's one extra "piece" to worry about. I would just go seamless.

The idea behind the detachable mouthpiece (these are just copied and pasted from my original post, but anyway):

> Removable 18.8 GONG mouthpiece - can be rotated 180 degrees for 2 different vaporizing positions (eg. sitting and standing) - Gives option to use hose adapter - Separates the most fragile piece from the main chamber

More explanation: >Imagine dropping a regular bubbler, with a joined mouthpiece. The most likely part to break, by far, is the long, slender mouthpiece which sticks out from the body. The rest of the bubbler is relatively strong and compact, without any such weaknesses, protruding parts etc. By separating the mouthpiece, I am removing the most fragile piece away from the main unit. Its an insurance policy... if I break my piece in the future, theres a good chance it'll be only the mouthpiece gone.
> Ease of cleaning
> I also noticed that many bubblers force you to use them standing up, the mouthpiece faces directly up and you can't comfortably use it from the side. I like vaporizing while sitting down most of the time. The removable mouthpiece can be rotated 180 degrees to allow an 'up' or 'down' position. See the image below if this is confusing.
> Removable mouthpiece gives options: I can put on a hose adapter. Or I can have a simple straight glass tube made in the future, see below.

c4ygV.jpg

You know it looks good. Maybe a little wider on the base is all so the mouth piece doesn't make it tip. but otherwise looks great. It'll work great with a log.

^^Also I'm guessing this is meant to sit on the table. If you are going to be picking it up to vape with you might think of a more cylindrical hand friendly shape as mentioned.

+1 for seamless.

Yep, its meant for sitting on a table. I'll think about making it a little wider, as stability is a priority.

I haven't decided 100% on the removable mouthpiece, convince me otherwise!

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
There is another reason for the detachable mouthpiece:

izCxr.png

The red line shows the size of the unit with mouthpiece removed. The green line shows the size that it would be, with the mouthpiece attached (whether its welded on or not). With a permanently attached mouthpiece, the glass becomes a LOT larger and more difficult to deal with (it will be moved around from time to time).

bleak,

quentin123

Yeah, having just broken the mouth piece of my oil bubbler I like the idea of the the removeable downstem. I think this piece looks awesome, and seeing as how I'm in Europe it would be good to see how this goes. Nice glass is hard to find over here.

quentin123,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<

> Removable mouthpiece gives options: I can put on a hose adapter. Or I can have a simple straight glass tube made in the future, see below.

May I ask why 18.8mm for the mouthpiece? All the ones I've seen have been 14mm, which I'm guessing would allow the chamber a choke point to fill with vapor instead of just instantly clearing the chamber every drag. Just curious.

I'm also a huge fan of the removable mouthpiece. I have my SSV GG attached to 3 inches of hose and a WPA ran directly into the downstem of my bubbler. From there I attach the tubing or glass mouthpiece so no one actually has to touch the bubbler while getting medicated.

This also allows a much better view of how much vapor is being pulled into the bubbler, instead of the usual from the top view you get when hitting from above.

Tweak,

bleak

Stoner Gear Peddler
Accessory Maker
May I ask why 18.8mm for the mouthpiece? All the ones I've seen have been 14mm, which I'm guessing would allow the chamber a choke point to fill with vapor instead of just instantly clearing the chamber every drag. Just curious.

The idea with the 18.8 was to allow the most airflow. 18.8 in, 18.8 out. But I haven't heard about the benefits of the choke point you talk about. Is there some more info I can read about it?

My glass is unintentionally turning out like a mini Verdamper (even the removable mouthpiece). I've always liked the Verdamper because it has very good open airflow - both a large intake and a very wide open mouthpiece. Very easy to inhale and get huge hits on it.

I suppose I can always step down to 14.4 with an adapter, but not the other way around, so I'm likely to stick with the 18.8. The glass maker can also build me a matching 18.8 hose adapter.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Is there some more info I can read about it?

Nah, it was just an observation from the few bubblers I've seen with removable mouthpiece.

Now that I looked at some higher end bubblers, 18mm is a bit more common. Maybe 14mm just costs less?

Tweak,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Wow, I had this same exact idea for the showerhead bubbler. Though, I didn't say anything about it to anyone, until well after you presented your idea. GMTA I suppose. Love that idea to. I think there's several variations of that basic design, doesn't your imagination just run wild with it?

I'm not sure why Elluzion thinks this design isn't feasible. A lower water level, is increased vapor volume. If it bubbles, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Though, I'm certainly no expert in design.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: bleak
Top Bottom