iHeat 510 Heater Cartridge

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
There are a lot of partial really awesome wooden (custom) mods. But starting at 200 - 1000$ :ugh:

Here is a nice blog about DIY wooden vape mods, the best made with evolv DNA chips.

Here is a sample of my favourite wooden ones on Pinterest.
Those are great ones indeed, i dont think that it will be hard for a logvape artist to re-create those ,if not better results :).
This looks also like a great tutorial https://www.wohligdampfen.de/LionMods_505_175#anker505_175 :)). Thx for the link.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Recreate the wooden parts for sure but all the electronics? Seems not to be rocket science but it's not my game and I'm full of respect. It's a lot of power which can lead to explosions/burning if not made correctely

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Boards are cheap. You can get a clone of the Eleaf Pico board for under $10. DNA ones are pricier. But anyway it's not hard to integrate: just need button caps, a 18650 (or other format) holder and a good 510 female port and that's about it, the boards are already assembled.

So in the end that's 4 wires to solder and it's done (two to the 510, two to the cell(s) holder)

Vapor Loop

@Vape Dr. - Thanks for posting the photos. Hope the testing is going well.

@Vapor Loop - Just received a Witcher box that was supposed to accept a 25.5mm tank. However, the 1" (25.4mm) diameter heater cartridge would not fit. Luckily, I can remove the 510 deck from the wood body to replace the coil if necessary. I turned my 1" diameter apple wood heater cartridge down to just under 25mm and now it fits just fine. Here is a photo of how it looks.

witcherapplewalnut.jpg

It is 93mm tall not including the stem which is about the same height as my cuboid mod box without the cartridge installed. The Witcher has a 75w capacity which is more than plenty to make hot air for roasting.
It feels very comfortable in my hand and works very well so far. The battery life seems very good, but depends upon the wattage level. So far the unit stays very cool to then touch. More testing is required.

It turns out that I was wrong about the TCR mode for the iHeat @KeroZen. I got it to work with my Cuboid box, but it won't work with the Witcher. The Cuboid has twice the wattage capacity of the Witcher which may be the reason why it works. It might also be the software.
I find the power mode to be very effective with the Witcher.

The apple wood is finished with some natural carnauba wax from @mistvaporizer which seems to provide more of a shine than beeswax. May have to play around with it a bit more.

That look's amazing! I would love for mine to be trimmed down to fit one of those mods if possible, That stem is perfect for looks too, You can always load it with some hemp wick if it's harsh from shortness. I use this method with my Fw4.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Ordered one in Blackwood to match my HGL logvape, seems pretty nice but the lack of feedback from VapeDr make me worry...

Edit: another good name.... was thinking at first about the Inst'heat but the Instinct would be better, isn't it?

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Doesn't fit in my Smoant Knight v2 (not by much though, it's close) but might fit in the Witcher I will receive soon. Diameter is spot on for the evic Primo mini but slightly too large (overhanging) for the evic VTC mini.

This is the full-wood slim bamboo version. I haven't tested it at all but wanted to share a couple of pix:

o4K2MpF.png

Onh9mZG.png

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Let's see some test results! Oh yeah, I ordered some screens and stuff with Alan and haven't payed yet! Doh! Going to Cali next week, I'll grab em when I get back.
Anyway, I'm excited about this creation and want to see some videos and read some feedback from yall with units. I'm sure it'll take some experimenting and time to get some good general settings. The bamboo looks real nice, too.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Abysmal Vapor - Have been enjoying the small size of the Witcher box. Hopefully, there will be more boxes made that the iHeat cart will fit. It is amazing what is available for circuit boards that have TC mode. Tough to beat the price of boxes that are available.

@Vapor Loop - I am making all of the small diameter heater cartridges to fit the Witcher, so you will be covered. A bit of hemp fiber does work great to smooth the vapor.

@PPN - I have the black wood body finished, but still need to drill the air holes. Working on a rather large batch of HI's and IH's at the moment, so it will be a little bit yet. Instinct is a great name for a vaporizer.

@KeroZen - Glad it arrived safely. Thanks for posting the photos. Hope the testing is still going well and that it fits your Witcher mod. I didn't have mine yet when I made that unit so I couldn't tell if it would fit or not. I am betting that it will.

@Diggy Smalls - Hope your trip to Cali is good. Send me an email whenever you get a chance.

@invertedisdead - Thanks. The roasting tube with a plain end will fit into an 18mm fitting with a silicone sleeve on it. I also make wooden male to male roasting tubes and even tubes that reduce from 18mm to 14mm.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Alan hows things holding up in TC mode?

Still working well in TC mode. I was playing around with it again tonight and figured out how to change the wattage to a lower value. It was set at 50 watts which often exceeded the set temperature unless the draw was very fast. The draw resistance is very low, so it is easy to draw fast. The wattage is now set to 34 which makes it easier to stay at or below the set temperature with a normal draw speed. The lower wattage provides a more even roast as well.
With the wattage at 50, it would occasionally revert to power mode. Haven't had the issue yet with the lower wattage. Still need to record a video showing how it works.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Still working well in TC mode. I was playing around with it again tonight and figured out how to change the wattage to a lower value. It was set at 50 watts which often exceeded the set temperature unless the draw was very fast. The draw resistance is very low, so it is easy to draw fast. The wattage is now set to 34 which makes it easier to stay at or below the set temperature with a normal draw speed. The lower wattage provides a more even roast as well.
With the wattage at 50, it would occasionally revert to power mode. Haven't had the issue yet with the lower wattage. Still need to record a video showing how it works.

Temperature control would be a total game changer! What TC setting are you using? SS316L? This vaporizer looks awfully impressive. Would love to see a video. @Vape Dr. sure is good at them.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Oh man this is just too legit. @Alan I dare say you've outdone yourself with this one!
Good thing I just ordered a new vaporizer two days ago...! :rofl:

But really. I'm probably going to need one of these. This is exactly what I have been waiting for, total game changer.

I better start rummaging through the closet to see what I'll need to pawn off. You know the old adage , a vape in the hand is worth two in the drawer. :D

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead - Thanks for the kind words. I have been enjoying it even more now that I figured out how to adjust the wattage in TCR mode. The flavor seems to stay better for a longer time. Has been a game changer for me.
I have a hard time letting old vaporizers go. Especially if they still work well. Still enjoy using my heat island every day too. Many of my roasting tubes are interchangeable between the HI and IH.

@PPN - You are welcome. It does hit very well. Having the control is so nice. You will enjoy it.

@squidmark - Glad you like it. Hope it isn't too much longer before your name comes up.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
A few remarks while I have them in mind:

- This vape is not perfect, but it's one step closer to my definition of the perfect portable vape. It's already close to becoming my number one daily driver when away from home during the day, and quite possibly evening and night out.

- Would it compete with my Zions at home when plugged to the power adapter base and using a longer stem? Well, it would be hard to beat the magic Ryan managed to infuse in the Zion, it's really one of a kind. But that's a question I'm starting to ask myself.

- Yes, temperature control works, this is a game changer. And apparently you don't even need TCR support, the standard TC/SS316 profile seems to work fine out of the box (at least on the Evic Primo Mini)

- Bamboo is not the wood smell I prefer, but it has clearly interesting characteristics.

- The Primo Mini is okish but the stock TC implementation is as crappy as in all Joyetech range. I'll probably switch it to ArticFox soon.

- The Witcher is a good surprise, a bit heavy but side by side designs (SBS) are the way to go with these long attachments. Inside the Witcher the iHeat passes like a regular size RDA with just a slightly longer than usual wide bore drip tip (using ecig jargon here, I just mean that when you palm it, it's super stealthy) Haven't tested TC implementation yet, only VW mode.

- In VW mode, the iHeat is comparable to a Milaana on steroids, that's the first thing that comes to mind. Effortless vapor under 5 seconds, but with great power comes great responsibility. You can center char the load easily if your technique is not spot on, like the Milaana, MistVape Touch or Firewood. But you get power regulation like in the Zion, so the battery level and decreasing power is not a parameter you need to take into account anymore. I used it between 22w and 25W in this mode and it was very enjoyable and battery life was fantastic, twice as much as the Milaana almost.

- In TC mode, it's comparable to the Project but in 18mm large free flowing form (the Project Pure SF is 14mm and the Eraser and OG slightly more) But you can feel that there's a high surface area heater at play: less "sucking hot air" effect and more inertia (you can continue riding the heat wave down after releasing the trigger)

I have so many other things to say, but this is by no means my definitive review of this much promising vape. I would be happy nonetheless to answer any question you might have.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Here the Alan post, in reply to your own previous question, although it doesn't explain why it works in TC mode and the Splinter does not.

The heater is made from a 316 ss mesh with a surface area similar to the milaana, but it is formed into a spiral shape. The wires are also connected to the mesh in a different fashion than the milaana. The mesh is wrapped around the wire ends and crimped to ensure maximum conductivity.

Top Bottom