Identification of a piece of wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesmith

Glass Blower
So I'm just about to make a vape in the same viegn as the peace by triihouse. As I lampwork I've got a few bits of glass knocking about so thought I'd do a little "try before you buy" type thing.

I found this piece of wood which looks like what I want but I have no idea what type of wood it is and my girlfriend says its a funny green colour (im colour blind) and I should find a different bit.
IMG_20150807_183251157.jpg

IMG_20150807_183247519.jpg

Anyone know how to or can ID the type of wood.

I'm gonna go ahead and tag @Snappo and if anyone else has any input or wants to tag someone who may know then thanks.

I'll post my frankenvape later... Mwah hahahahaha

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
So I'm just about to make a vape in the same viegn as the peace by triihouse. As I lampwork I've got a few bits of glass knocking about so thought I'd do a little "try before you buy" type thing.

I found this piece of wood which looks like what I want but I have no idea what type of wood it is and my girlfriend says its a funny green colour (im colour blind) and I should find a different bit.
IMG_20150807_183251157.jpg

IMG_20150807_183247519.jpg

Anyone know how to or can ID the type of wood.

I'm gonna go ahead and tag @Snappo and if anyone else has any input or wants to tag someone who may know then thanks.

I'll post my frankenvape later... Mwah hahahahaha
As suggested above, possibly Douglas Fur ...seems porous and light in density, possibly treated. Never use treated woods for vapes.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I asked my husband he though either Ash or Oak. Is there some types of wood that wouldn't be good for a vaporizer? If the wood is treated with anything it could be toxic to the user. It would be best to know where your wood came from.

@Ed's TnT might know as well.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
I asked my husband he though either Ash or Oak. Is there some types of wood that wouldn't be good for a vaporizer? If the wood is treated with anything it could be toxic to the user. It would be best to know where your wood came from.

@Ed's TnT might know as well.
Vaporizor woods should not be stabilized with non food-safe stabilizers (polymers). There is only one stabilizing process that I know of that is food safe and will not off-gas when heated above 600F degrees. This process is highly specialized and only one company on Earth provides this service - it is light years ahead of all others! The visual effects are beyond amazing, and the durability of the wood is forever! I have been working with them to engineer exotic woods for log vapes, stems & wongs. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

davesmith

Glass Blower
Thanks for the info everyone. I did make the vape and here it is:

IMG_20150806_153052140.jpg

I had one bowl through it and it worked great but I won't use it again until I've changed the wooden body for something else. I should be able to grab some apple branch or something, I'm on a farm so I'll go hunting after the weekend. Really I want to order a peace although moneys tight and I don't have a postal address at the mo.

Now a funny story...

So I was enjoying the vape after my shower earlier and the friction fit glass tube fell out the end. No problem unless your less than fully dressed :) lets just say I got burnt in possibly the worst place you can think of hahah. Honestly.

Right once I get a chance to re-make it I'll Chuck up another pic thanks everyone, I love this community.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Thanks for the info everyone. I did make the vape and here it is:

IMG_20150806_153052140.jpg

I had one bowl through it and it worked great but I won't use it again until I've changed the wooden body for something else. I should be able to grab some apple branch or something, I'm on a farm so I'll go hunting after the weekend. Really I want to order a peace although moneys tight and I don't have a postal address at the mo.

Now a funny story...

So I was enjoying the vape after my shower earlier and the friction fit glass tube fell out the end. No problem unless your less than fully dressed :) lets just say I got burnt in possibly the worst place you can think of hahah. Honestly.

Right once I get a chance to re-make it I'll Chuck up another pic thanks everyone, I love this community.
Apple wood is a great choice for wood! It is a popular staple for tobacco pipes and holds up really well and is very stable as far as cracking goes when exposed to heat. ENJOY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom