Idea for a Butane Vaporizer/Safer Supreme V3

YungLeaner

So I've been thinking a lot about the Lily and how it works, and the Supreme and how it works. I have a lot of interest in the Supreme, and I am held back only because I drop things when I'm stoned. The supreme is a vape that consists of torching an aluminum cube with attached thermometer until it reaches the desired temp, and then you inhale. Everyone who owns one adores it, and some think it is the hardest hitting vape they have ever used.

I love the lily, as do many others, but the fact that butane flame is the direct heat source -- I find it makes the hits too variable while others find it unsatisfactory from a health perspective.

Now here's when I wow you with science and perfect schematics...lol kidding! I'm a dumbass.

My idea is this: a cube about the same size as that of the supreme, connected at the bottom to 4 wrought-iron (heavy) leg with wide bottom beer for stability. The bowl system would work similarly to its current design but have a tip at the end specifically designated for whip usage.

It seems that mine and many others concerns about the supreme who are simultaneously interested in it would be alleviated not by change of the heat source but rather by Change of the ergonomic design.

I'm not very smart about this stuff (give me some Heidegger to break down and I'm your man!) but I feel like the solution with the supreme (if it needs one at all) is ergonomic and not electronic.

The 7th floor products are a classic example IMO of versatility and easy desktop use overriding a very basic and often bothersome thin ceramic rod heat source.

Why can't we have a truly desktop supreme, torch and all? The heat source (incredibly hot block of metal) has proven to be so effective that I feel as though I need one, but can't justify it knowing I am likely (not kidding) to give myself a 3rd degree burn, not to mention that I have a tiny dog getting in the way and jumping up onto laps.

ZC

I really like this idea, very interested in seeing it progress further.

ZC,

YungLeaner

I really like this idea, very interested in seeing it progress further.
Would love to hear any thoughts you have on the subject. It just seems brutally simple to me that such a heavy duty vaporizer should have a heavy duty station as well, and I don't believe it would have to be more than a 50-100$ price bump, hardly a death blow for such a cheap (140$) vaporizer.

The legs / casing for the metal block would allow one to use a standing torch or heat gun and then hit the supreme from as far as 5-10 feet away, a huge benefit when considering the hazard of using the vape in its current format.

I know that some people are comfortable with the way it works now and that's great but many others that want one badly can't purchase due to fear of self-harming.

IMO a electric heating source is unlikely anytime soon. It's simply too hard to engineer when the functionality of the vape requires torching a thick metal block at over 1,000 F. But there are SO many talented builders on this subreddit, and why can't we have a desktop supreme? the grommet could have a hose nipple at the end.

Success of RBT vapes and other convection vapes seem to be reliant on a basic equation that is difficult to implement. We need a heating element, capable of getting very hot, that is connected to a safe airpath up into a screen or mesh basket holding herb.

Given this context the supreme's popularity among its users is no wonder! It's probably the most effective heating element that exists for the purpose of huge vaporizer hits. I love the herbalizer's cool air and tasty halogen bulb hits--the heating element there is notable mostly for the instant-on capabilities and the accuracy of having multiple temp sensors and software for constants adjustment. I also love the Evo, as the ELB is placed into a convection "environment" in a sense, heated by the ambient air and when the user inhales the hot bamboo walls aid and vortex waves of heat through the ELB.

The supreme is like a punch in the face from what I can tell, just crushing your bud with a slam (dunk?) of heat. I want that so bad!!! But I want it safely, on a stand, through a hose connected to a bubbler on my lap while i Netflix and chill with my girlfriend.

YungLeaner,
Reactions: ZC

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
If you are plugged into AC power, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to replace your butane power source with a really powerful equivalent electric source.

KeroZen,
Reactions: ZC

ZC

Agreed, electrification is not out of the realm of possibility, it's just a matter of what the best way to do so is.

One concern with the supreme is power efficiency. Whether it's butane or electricity, the supreme uses a ton of power to get to temperature compared to other vapes.

Most other butane vapes use way less butane and take less time to heat up, since they're designed with a much smaller area of metal to heat. The supreme has a lot more mass so it requires a lot more heat. So however we heat it up, we need to think of an ideal way to keep that heat to the brick, as there's a lot of potential for heat escaping and thus energy wasted.

ZC,
Reactions: KeroZen

YungLeaner

It's not that an electrical source for the power is impossible, it just seems impractical. When I run through the potential solutions, I always end up right back at a heat gun, at which point I would probably just choose to run a torch.

I also am interested in the idea of a much smaller aluminum brick that would be connected to a much smaller one-hitter log stem type bowl. But I don't know if that would work I guess.

YungLeaner,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
What kind of metal is the heat exchanger made of? If it's SS, the most efficient way would be to apply a strong current directly to that part.

With around 50-60W we get "nearly instant convection vapor" with the Milaana, but we can get vapor faster with less Watts using the Project and other DIY dry content attys.

If efficiency is not a concern, why don't we just apply say 200W or 300W to that metal plate and get real instant vapor? It could be that in practice the circuit would just have to deliver a surge/peak for less than one second then throttle down to something lower for the rest of the hit.

The only problem is: more mass to heat = more inertia. That's why the Project with its tiny coil is able to beat the Milaana on speed, but can at the same time be overwhelmed more easily (lower heat exchange capacity due to less surface area)

KeroZen,
Reactions: nondarb

ZC

Butane is the tried and true method with this vape, we know it works and works well.

But that said, especially if we're building a custom enclosure for this thing, I don't think electrification is too far off. A couple of high power, flat ceramic heaters hose clamped to both sides of the brick might work really well, we just need someone to try it!

What kind of metal is the heat exchanger made of?

It's made of aluminum.

ZC,

YungLeaner

Butane is the tried and true method with this vape, we know it works and works well.

But that said, especially if we're building a custom enclosure for this thing, I don't think electrification is too far off. A couple of high power, flat ceramic heaters hose clamped to both sides of the brick might work really well, we just need someone to try it!

It's made of aluminum.
@KeroZen 300W is sizable, but I have to admit that I would much prefer a thirsty desktop unit than constantly filling and torching.

@ZC I suppose you're right, these ceramic cartridge heaters are not very complex or expensive. What could the enclosure be made out of to withstand the heat?

ZC

I'm not terribly concerned with the material for the enclosure, but personally I'd leave some empty space in it.

Have the supreme only connected by the shaft, with the brick hanging in the air with a couple of inches of space in every direction. The air surrounding it shouldn't be terribly hot enough for a wooden enclosure to be out of the question, but SS wouldn't be a bad idea.

I wouldn't use plastic though.

Edit: can someone who owns the supreme maybe provide dimensions? I haven't taken the plunge yet.

ZC,

YungLeaner

I think maybe the body of an SSV or DBV would work.:shrug:

:peace:
Not a bad call! The shape isn't far off at all, and maybe the DBV shape body could be just a fully rounded cylinder , using some sort of suspension and Ceramic plate heaters, allowing heat to escape up top?

Top Bottom