• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

ice extraction vs solvent extraction

Zookeeper

Solventless for the win. Unless it cold quick wash with grain alcohol.

I made over an ounce of solvent oil with no cannabinoids in it whatsoever, out of 4oz of dark AVB, if that gives you an idea what solvents pull out of the plant along with cannabinoids. The only advantage are certain terpenes/favinoids the solvent pulls from the plant (along with chlorophyll and nasty useless resins). But its not worth the other crap that gets pulled out, and not worth the mercaptan taste if your doing it yourself. Imagine getting full melt keif, and shooting lighter fluid through the left over trichromeless shake and dripping it over your full melt. Improvement? you tell me but I vote no.

BHO is a dirty trend like every other trend. Less plant material is not cleaner when so much heavier contaminants replace the lighter ones. Some day soon people will admit how gross the goopy green/black DIY oils really are. 60 micron is the smallest you need. Actually 73 is a better guess assuming your weed isnt grown in the dessert. Go any smaller than 73 on humid grows and you will actually be missing aa lot of the better bigger trich

2clicker

Observer
Solventless for the win. Unless it cold quick wash with grain alcohol.

I made over an ounce of solvent oil with no cannabinoids in it whatsoever, out of 4oz of dark AVB, if that gives you an idea what solvents pull out of the plant along with cannabinoids. The only advantage are certain terpenes/favinoids the solvent pulls from the plant (along with chlorophyll and nasty useless resins). But its not worth the other crap that gets pulled out, and not worth the mercaptan taste if your doing it yourself. Imagine getting full melt keif, and shooting lighter fluid through the left over trichromeless shake and dripping it over your full melt. Improvement? you tell me but I vote no.

BHO is a dirty trend like every other trend. Less plant material is not cleaner when so much heavier contaminants replace the lighter ones. Some day soon people will admit how gross the goopy green/black DIY oils really are. 60 micron is the smallest you need. Actually 73 is a better guess assuming your weed isnt grown in the dessert. Go any smaller than 73 on humid grows and you will actually be missing aa lot of the better bigger trich

ive never run tane before. i only do frozen ethanol (everclear) 3 min washes. since switching from unbleached paper coffee filters to the 50 and 25 micron mesh my results have never been better. i get nice clear amber shatter never goopy or green/black.

im basically trying to eliminate having to wash the entire .25-1oz of fresh flowers. if i only soak the keif then i only need a small amount of ethanol. this will allow for a quicker winterization and quicker and safer evaporation.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
If you are ending up w/ 'goopy, green/black' whatever, you are doing it wrong. Even making bho (as opposed to waxes/shatters), my end product is like glassy, amber spun gold. You will have an 8" glass hair follow you out of the jar when collecting a dab. If the only flowers I ever had were brown ditchweed, does that mean that mj sucks? There are good reasons for people to choose to avoid bho's, no disinformation needed.

bassplayer

I don't have anything against solvent extracts (I especially like BAMF dewaxed shatter) however I much prefer fullmelt and bubble - I'm lucky enough to work near two dispensaries that make excellent bubble and fullmelt. I recently got some 'full melt' from a nice dispensary in SoCal, however its very dry micro-planed and refuses to melt, I've had other 'fullmelt' in Southern CA that is just like that, maybe it's a SoCal thing...

BHO extracts very quickly with little work, you just need to get the butane out afterwards. Solventless as far as I know takes much more time and effort.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
I don't have anything against solvent extracts (I especially like BAMF dewaxed shatter) however I much prefer fullmelt and bubble - I'm lucky enough to work near two dispensaries that make excellent bubble and fullmelt. I recently got some 'full melt' from a nice dispensary in SoCal, however its very dry micro-planed and refuses to melt, I've had other 'fullmelt' in Southern CA that is just like that, maybe it's a SoCal thing...

BHO extracts very quickly with little work, you just need to get the butane out afterwards. Solventless as far as I know takes much more time and effort.

I would say that it was 'fullmelt' in name only. imo, you can't just call it fullmelt because it is good. The few times I have achieved fullmelt, it was rock hard, looked like a chunk of amber and fully melted almost immediately. I'm not saying it's not good, maybe just off labeled a little.

Snake Plissken,
Reactions: bassplayer

bassplayer

I would say that it was 'fullmelt' in name only. imo, you can't just call it fullmelt because it is good. The few times I have achieved fullmelt, it was rock hard, looked like a chunk of amber and fully melted almost immediately. I'm not saying it's not good, maybe just off labeled a little.
Yeah, I've certainly had a lot of what i would call 'miss labeled' products from dispensaries - the 'full melt' I got in LA doesn't melt at all unless you preheat it a bit then it bubbles but certainly not full-melt.

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
Yeah, I've certainly had a lot of what i would call 'miss labeled' products from dispensaries - the 'full melt' I got in LA doesn't melt at all unless you preheat it a bit then it bubbles but certainly not full-melt.

Bubbling is a good sign, and at least damn close to a fullmelt imo. same thing w/ shatter, a lot seems to really be 'sap'. I would also suspect some bho products slip through mislabeled due to cali laws. At the disp I visit, all the concentrates are $25/g. At that price, while good, I have a hard time believing they are made from top shelf flowers as claimed. You would be able to sell the flowers themselves for much more w/ no added expense or hassle.

Snake Plissken,
Reactions: 2clicker

bassplayer

Bubbling is a good sign, and at least damn close to a fullmelt imo. same thing w/ shatter, a lot seems to really be 'sap'. I would also suspect some bho products slip through mislabeled due to cali laws. At the disp I visit, all the concentrates are $25/g. At that price, while good, I have a hard time believing they are made from top shelf flowers as claimed. You would be able to sell the flowers themselves for much more w/ no added expense or hassle.
I totally agree - the shatter I prefer (BAMF dewaxed) is fairly expensive, I have no problems paying because I think it's worth the cost (high quality materials, well made and purged)

bassplayer,
Top Bottom