• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

I want to know about log vaporizers

philmcan

Flying high
I have had a good time since I discovered vaping. I started where a lot of people do with a cheapo no name box vaporizer. It worked right about half the time but that's all I needed to realize I like vaping. So I moved on to the extreme Q, which has been awesome at every task I ask of it. Then I thought I would try my hand at portable vap, so next came MFLB. Which had a learning curve for me, but not bad when I got it figured out. So I moved on to the Vapir No2 which kicked ass.
So now I am on my search for info on log vapes and what makes them great? I hear nothing but positive things about them. I am going to start combing through the forums for more info, but was hoping some people could chime in about what log vape they have and why they like them so much. Thanks guys.

philmcan,

barca14

I just got an Underdog a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it! What I like most about the UD is that it's so simple: once it's warm, plug in the stem, and inhale. It's a really good vape for small groups as well, my friends love it.
From what I hear, the Underdog and Ceramic Rockzap (CRZ) are similar in price and performance. Lately I've also been looking at the Heat Island (HI), it's a little smaller and comes with a variable power supply.
You really can't go wrong witha log vape. If I could do it again, I would get a smaller unit for faster heat up time. Also, don't cheap out 25-50 dollars for a log vape design that you don't like. Take time to find one that really speaks to you, trust me you won't regret it.

barca14,

stroh

errl enthusiast
barca14 said:
I just got an Underdog a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it! What I like most about the UD is that it's so simple: once it's warm, plug in the stem, and inhale. It's a really good vape for small groups as well, my friends love it.
From what I hear, the Underdog and Ceramic Rockzap (CRZ) are similar in price and performance. Lately I've also been looking at the Heat Island (HI), it's a little smaller and comes with a variable power supply.
You really can't go wrong witha log vape. If I could do it again, I would get a smaller unit for faster heat up time. Also, don't cheap out 25-50 dollars for a log vape design that you don't like. Take time to find one that really speaks to you, trust me you won't regret it.

i agree with everything in this post, except i've been an underdog owner for a bit longer. log vapes are very efficient, simple to use, maintain 24/7 capabilities so you can medicate at any given moment if you desire, and can be quite heavy hitters, i can vouch for underdog's cloud producing capabilities, and i hear the CRZ's are also powerful hitters, and feature a ceramic insulator around the heatport for better heat retention and hotter temperatures, and also to protect the wood from possible charring.

i love log vapes, they are my favorite desktop/at home vaporizers, and IMO would make an excellent addition to any vaporist's collection.

stroh,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm on my third PD and am on the list for an HI. I think the HI is going to be the one to have, but I haven't used one yet.

stickstones,

Bouldorado

I sold my PD (traded actually) a few months ago, which was a mistake. It tasted better than any other vape I've tried to date. Currently I'm using the LSV, which although it has an all glass path is still not comparable to how the PD tasted. Log vapes give very good flavor for two reasons; short vapor path and small bowl. I gave the PD up mostly because I didn't realize how crucial the small bowl size was to taste. Everything else starts to get the burnt popcorn taste after a few hits, even the LSV. With a log vape, you're done after a few hits, so you get maximum flavor.

My only gripe w/ the PD was that you couldn't really use concentrates well in it. Kief and hash both clog the screens up pretty fast and BHO is a no-go unless you want to put it in a cotton ball. Nothing better for bud though.

Bouldorado,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Always ready to deliver big and tasty hits, simple and easy to use, low maintenance, clean taste, and all in natural, hand-made designs that make each piece unique.

Of course, the efficiency is a major factor. It does so much, with so little. Plus, they are very attractive oil diffusers that can be left out in full display.

When I looked for my first vape, I had zero interest in a log. Then I reconsidered. The HerbalAire wasn't getting used much (great unit, just didn't fit our needs), so I figured a log was worth at least checking out. A decision I am very happy about.

Magic9,

lwien

I've had my PD's for about 3 years now and while I've tried other vapes, nothing has come close to it in regards to taste, efficiency, ease of use and ease of maintenance. I have no doubt that there are other log type vapes on the market that would satisfy, but quite honestly, I can't imagine getting anything more from a vape then what this puppy puts out. 3 years, on constantly 24/7 without missing a beat and still, I am amazed at how high I can get from such a small amount of bud. I still empty that bowl, look at the remains and go............... :o, unbelievable.

lwien,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Log vapes are great. My favorite part about them is the "special" connection you feel from this warm living piece of art. It is a beautiful thing. Also, they are consistent and hit well no matter what.

Elluzion,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think the HI and UD are more similar to each other then compared to the CRZ.

Main difference is the bowl size (3/8 of an inch for both the UD and HI compared to 1/4 for the CRZ if I'm not mistaken), which probably accounts for one of the bigger differences for it's users in practical terms (efficiency vs more/larger clouds per bowl).

Air flow on both of these is also a little less restricted than that of the CRZ from what I gather.

Other then that there are of course the variable voltage controller that comes with the HI, and the silicon stems that come with the UD.

Those are the most obvious difference. There aren't that many HI owners around though, since it is a fairly new unit. But it looks like it is going to be a popular one, so I'm sure more detailed comparisons will be available soon.

OhTheAgony,

philmcan

Flying high
Thanks everybody this is some good info. From what I have pieced together these type of vaporizers have a stem that you load with marijuana, plug in and go. How much do these stem hold? Weight wise. How many stems do you use to get medicated? how fine of a grind do you use? Thanks again everybody.

philmcan,

lwien

I weighed mine out on a few occasions. Obviously, a lot of it has to do with the fineness of the grind along with how dry your bud is, but for me, it averaged out to 0.025gr (1/40th of a gram).

3/4 of a stem gets me medicated.

Not fine, not coarse. Medium grind works best for me.

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
philmcan, the various log vapes have different stems, some of which hold more than others. For instance, the UD's stem is silicone and you put the screen at the depth you like best. Some of Alan's tubes (the TT and the HI) are the same way, while some have a fixed bowl. And, the CRZ uses one size. The CRZ and the stems used for the TT and HI that are ss hold so little, it didn't register on my scale. :lol: And, the amount of stems you use to get medicated depends on the person. It depends on the herb, your tolerance, etc.

I think, at this point, the best thing for you to do is dive into the threads for the vapes you are interested in and get reading. All the info you've requested and more is there for you. ;)

momofthegoons,

lwien

After reading mom's post, I need to clarify. My post above refers to the PD.

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
and looking at how much gets you medicated proves my point lwien. :lol:

Makes me also think I need to go on a t-break and get my usage down.... :uhoh:

momofthegoons,

lwien

momofthegoons said:
and looking at how much gets you medicated proves my point lwien. :lol:

Makes me also think I need to go on a t-break and get my usage down.... :uhoh:

Which, if one is concerned with conserving bud, having a vape with a very small bowl as some of the log vapes have, actually goes a long way in helping one keep their tolerance low in that it helps to prohibit one from taking in more than you actually need at any given point in time.

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
^^^
another very good point. I find when I use a whip style vape, I use way more than I would if I used one of my log vapes.

momofthegoons,

philmcan

Flying high
momofthegoons said:
^^^
another very good point. I find when I use a whip style vape, I use way more than I would if I used one of my log vapes.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. From what I have read logs us less but provide a solid state of medication.

philmcan,

lwien

Yup. When I first started using my PD about 3 years ago, my consumption was cut in half from when I was using my Buddha, a whip based vape, and a gram would last me about a month and half, and that was vaping every single night. Fast forward 3 years later, and a gram still lasts me over a month while vaping every evening. I'm convinced that my PD has kept my tolerance in check.

lwien,

philmcan

Flying high
lwien said:
Yup. When I first started using my PD about 3 years ago, my consumption was cut in half from when I was using my Buddha, a whip based vape, and a gram would last me about a month and half, and that was vaping every single night. Fast forward 3 years later, and a gram still lasts me over a month while vaping every evening. I'm convinced that my PD has kept my tolerance in check.

That's some of the pin point info I like. I'm looking at the Aromazap as my first log. I have read a lot of good things about the newer generation of the Aromazap. And the price does not seem to bad.

philmcan,

lwien

^^ Good choice.

If I were in the market again for another log vape and being that the PD is no longer being made, I think the CRZ (Aromazap) would be my next choice.

lwien,

lwien

I gotta edit what I said above. I was under the impression that by the nature of the design of the CRZ, that different wood densities would not affect the outgoing temps (been awhile since I read the CRZ thread), but now, I've come to learn that not only will the use of different woods alter the temps, but the actual girth of the vape itself will also have an affect on the temps. This was also true of the PD's I own, in that my Cherry PD runs MUCH warmer than my Ash PD. The differences are not minor. The ABV, when chased from my Cherry PD comes out a very dark chocolate brown. The ABV, when chased from my Ash PD, comes out a yellowish-brown.

But, if I had to get a new vape, I'd hate to lay down 185 bucks without knowing how warm or cool the vape would be (I lucked out with my Cherry PD because it vapes at the perfect temp for me), so if I had to do it all over again, I would again get a log vape due to the efficiency and ease of use and maintenance, but I think I would prefer one with a variable temp so that I wouldn't have to leave it up to chance of getting a vape that vapes at the temp I like to vape at.

Thank God we got choices. Lots of happy campers at Zapville. Just expressing my own concerns if I had to do it all over again.

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
While the differences in temperature are not huge between the different CRZs, there are some differences. It's the same as it's always been for log vapes; softer woods equate to hotter vapes. That said, if you were to order a CRZ that did not heat up to the temp you desired, Rick would most likely be willing to work with you in making sure you got something that made you happy.

On the other hand, lwien is correct in that there are other options. The HI is offered with variable voltage, for instance.

momofthegoons,
Just wanted to chime in with my log vape experience. I got into vaping about two years ago. I was fortunate to stumble upon some of Lwien's posts here when I was researching the different vape models etc. I liked his strategy regarding the PD and keeping usage and tolerance as low as possible. Basically I copied his setup and got a small HVY mini beaker for water filtration, and a log vape. Only difference is I ended up with a walnut Woodeez instead of a PD, because the PD had like a 3 month wait list at that time. This setup has served me very well for going on 2 years now. The efficiency regarding the amount of herbs needed to get medicated is truly astounding. I really couldn't be happier. Just wanted to say thanks to Lwien for putting me on the right track from the get go. :)
Also, really excited about some of the new innovations going on in the log vape world these days. I will definitely be picking up one of these new style logs when the need arises. ;)

wunderkind,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have to blame lwien for my first PD as well. I should say "thank lwien", but it would go to his head.

Stu,
Top Bottom