Hyperbaric extraction

Caligula

Maximus
As I was saying in another thread I had made, there happens to be a dispensary near me that is selling concentrates, derived from a "solventless extraction process"... namely hyberbaric extraction. They bill it as the safest and most pure way to get extracts from the cannabis plant.

What exactly IS "hyberbaric extraction"? Well I didn't know either, so I had to look it up. The BT at my dispensary said that Harborside up in Northern California is the only other place he knows of that uses this extraction process, so I headed over to their website. This is what they say about it:

The basic process for making hash with a hyperbaric chamber is this: Ground-up cannabis is placed inside the chamber. Another empty vessel is attached. The temperature in the chamber is lowered to -40 degrees Fahrenheit and the pressure is raised to several atmospheres. The cannabinoids and terpenes are literally pulled, or sucked up, and out of the vegetable material. When it becomes liquid, it is transferred to the second container and the pressure is reversed negative several atmospheres. This causes the liquid to solidify into the aforementioned wax that is HBC Pure Wax. And now, Harborside Health Center is proud to be the only Bay Area outlet for this exciting new product.

Sounds pretty tits, right? Well I can tell you this... the nectar and wax (both made the same way, except the nectar is from prime full buds, where as the less expensive wax is made from trim) have AMAZING flavor profiles. Very mocha/chocolate-ish. It really does taste like the essence of fine cannabis!

Anyhoo, they had previously only offered their Nectar and @ $80/g that was a very rare special treat. Now, though, they just added the wax for almost half the cost. I picked some up today, and it sure as hell isn't half the potency or flavor.

Now, I am still going to buy from my "go to" BHO supplier, who always has top grade quality/made wax @ 3g/$100, but this new stuff will be in my weekly rotation for sure.

Oh, also here is a pic of their nectar (the wax looks almost identical) as well as a link to their Weedmaps page so you can see the menu for yourself. Also, please be sure to LMK what you think about this extraction process. Its very new territory for me, but so far I'm loving it!

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/california/south-bay-sd/pgpdiscounters

x9jg.jpg

Last edited:

tepictoton

Interesting...seems like every day we learn something new...please share any more info on this when possible, a quick google did not turn up anything usefull...

Caligula

Maximus
Solvent free is going to be really cool when it catches on everywhere IMO. I'd sacrifice flavor for purity any day.

You don't even need to sacrifice flavor. Both the wax and nectar I've tried have had very tasty chocolate/mocha undertones.

Caligula,

darkrom

Great Scott!
You don't even need to sacrifice flavor. Both the wax and nectar I've tried have had very tasty chocolate/mocha undertones.

But is it different from BHO flavor? Everything I'm told is that CO2 and solventless doesn't taste nearly as good as BHO. I wash my BHO with everclear to improve the purity, so mine is all lackluster flavor so far. I'm new to extracting with both BHO and EC though so I've got lots of improvements to make.

darkrom,
Reactions: Caligula

Caligula

Maximus
CO2 is still a solvent, and yes taste can be lackluster with it. As for a specific flavor profile for hyperbaric extraction, I'm not sure. I don't have enough experience with this stuff yet. I did just order two different waxes from that dispensary, so I'll be sure to update this in the next few hours after I get to sample
their Skywalker and Sour D wax.

@darkrom

green2brown

IME, flavor goes like this: solventless and grain alcohol > BHO > C02. As far as potency goes (on average), I'd rank it as follows: grain alcohol > C02 > BHO > solventless.

I've seen everclear extracts test around 95%, C02 test just a few percent lower, BHO around 85-87%, and Harborside's solventless extracts top off at 82%.

Last edited:
green2brown,
Reactions: darkrom

Chill Dude

IME, flavor goes like this: solventless and grain alcohol > BHO > C02. As far as potency goes (on average), I'd rank it as follows: grain alcohol > C02 > BHO > solventless.

While in general I agree with your flavor analysis; as to potency I must disagree. I picked up some solvent less Planetary OG Nectar from the same dispensary mentioned by Caligula. Not only does the product taste amazing (like spiced mocha on the exhale and super smooth), it is some of the most potent concentrate I've ever had!! A little will go a long way.....

That said, as to potency, there are several variables I don't understand. I mean from a THC perspective if two waxes are 80% THC and made from the same strain and top quality buds why would there be noticeable differences in potency? Would extraction method really matter? IDK........

Chill Dude,

green2brown

While in general I agree with your flavor analysis; as to potency I must disagree. I picked up some solvent less Planetary OG Nectar from the same dispensary mentioned by Caligula. Not only does the product taste amazing (like spiced mocha on the exhale and super smooth), it is some of the most potent concentrate I've ever had!! A little will go a long way.....

That said, as to potency, there are several variables I don't understand. I mean from a THC perspective if two waxes are 80% THC and made from the same strain and top quality buds why would there be noticeable differences in potency? Would extraction method really matter? IDK........

THC is only one aspect. Don't forget the myriad of other cannabinoids as well as terpenes. All of this plays a part in the high and different extraction processes are better at extracting different compounds. Everclear, for example, is much better at extracting terpenes than CO2.

Also, keep in mind the percentages I gave are based on the concentrates I use. I've scoured the coast searching for the best of each that I could find, and those have become my regulars. It's very likely, however, that you may find an everclear extract that tests only at 60% but a BHO that tests at 70%. Or a BHO that tests at 60% and a solventless that tests at 75%. Which one is strongest will be determined by the quality of concentrates you're able to get your hands on. But when comparing the best of each, I've found what I posted above in my ranking.

IME, the very best concentrates are made with grain alcohol. And considering that grain alcohol is safe for human consumption, I don't see solventless extracts holding any real benefit over grain alcohol extracts unless you have an alcohol sensitivity or intolerance that could be triggered by a trace amount.

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus

Actually the method of extraction makes a huge difference. As @green2brown said, THC isn't the only substance in marijuana that has a medicating effect. CBD, among many other things, also play a big role in the type of high you get, etc... and some extraction methods are better than others at extracting these cannabinoids. I'm pretty lit, and can't recall what process correlates to what, but there are significant differences between the different process to be sure. As for how solventless extraction fares, IDK... however PGP did add this to their menu description:

The same people who love you and bring you amazing quality solventless Nectar now bring you solventless wax! Made from the same procedure as Nectar that sets your Dab receptors on fire, this wax at half the price is sure to do the same thing!!! Each of our waxes tests in at a minimum of 69% THC! Stick to the S.A.F.E. method!

I asked the BT, and he claims the nectars test at over 90% (forget the exact number... 92 or some such nonsense) THC.

Still waiting on the delivery person... sigh.

edit x2: Oooo I think hes here!

The same people who love you and bring you amazing quality solventless Nectar now bring you solventless wax! Made from the same procedure as Nectar that sets your Dab receptors on fire, this wax at half the price is sure to do the same thing!!! Each of our waxes tests in at a minimum of 69% THC! Stick to the S.A.F.E. method!

Caligula

Maximus
0kl0.jpg

aana.jpg

nzl6.jpg

Sorry for the terrible lighting. Im using a 2+ year old smartphone that has a broken flash. Anyway, as you can see the consistency of this stuff is "smoother" than the nectar, with fewer bubbles and an almost shatter glass like appearance. My house is ~75*F right now, and the wax is pretty soft to the touch. It will string up a bit too.

As for flavor, this specific wax tastes like fresh cut flowers. Pretty amazing really. I was afraid that this extraction process was going to be a one note wonder, taste wise but this wax tastes very different from the nectar I have and the Rascal OG wax that I also got from them.

OT: They threw in a "Clipper" brand N-Butane "medilighter" for me. Interesting concept, but IDK how much of a difference that's going to make for people who are still combusting.

Chill Dude

IME, the very best concentrates are made with grain alcohol. And considering that grain alcohol is safe for human consumption, I don't see solventless extracts holding any real benefit over grain alcohol extracts unless you have an alcohol sensitivity or intolerance that could be triggered by a trace amount.

Great post greentobrown. I don't have extensive experience with concentrates, but learning more all the time. Bottom line, for me I'd take safety over potency every time.....

What I still don't understand is if in fact grain alcohol is a safe extraction method and is, as you said, the best extraction method for both potency and preserving all the cannabinoids and Terpenes in the process, then why isn't everyone using that extraction method? WTF, does it take longer or cost more than other extraction methods? Is the process more complicated than others? IDK...

Chill Dude,

Caligula

Maximus
Great post greentobrown. I don't have extensive experience with concentrates, but learning more all the time. Bottom line, for me I'd take safety over potency every time.....

What I still don't understand is if in fact grain alcohol is a safe extraction method and is, as you said, the best extraction method for both potency and preserving all the cannabinoids and Terpenes in the process, then why isn't everyone using that extraction method? WTF, does it take longer or cost more than other extraction methods? Is the process more complicated than others? IDK...

From what I've read, flavor and yield suffer over BHO, as well as cost of the solvent... then again I've never made the stuff and AFAIK, I've never bought/used any. So take that with a grain of salt.

Also, while all solvent based process can be safe, isn't the best process (in terms of health) the one that doesn't use any? IMO that's why people get organic produce. Sure you could wash your fruit really well and have it be safe, but then why do people still pay more for organic products (and wash them anyway)?

Chill Dude

Looks real nice Caligula! Let me know what you think of the Rascal OG wax when you break into it. I was thinking about picking some up net week!

Chill Dude,

green2brown

Grain alcohol extracts have better flavor than those made with BHO, but again this all comes down to how well the extraction process is performed. I think if you compare the best BHO with the best everclear extract, the everclear one will have a fuller, more pure flavor.

Extractions using everclear tend to produce smaller yields than BHO, and the everclear itself is more difficult to obtain than butane. I think using everclear also requires a bit more precision to be done right - this assumption is based on the fact that a number of people I've spoken with say they prefer the flavor of BHO UNTIL they try some of these everclear extracts that I get.

My all time favorite was so flavorful that it tasted as if I was chewing Bubblicious.... :mmmm:

Chill Dude

Also, while all solvent based process can be safe, isn't the best process (in terms of health) the one that doesn't use any? IMO that's why people get organic produce. Sure you could wash your fruit really well and have it be safe, but then why do people still pay more for organic products (and wash them anyway)?

Agreed. That's why I buy mostly organic food. I eat pretty healthy, although I've been seen on occasion at 2:00am scarfing out on crane asada burritos and nachos at Roberto's Taco Shop. Gotta live a little. Lol

Chill Dude,

Caligula

Maximus
Looks real nice Caligula! Let me know what you think of the Rascal OG wax when you break into it. I was thinking about picking some up net week!

Actually I got the Rascal last time. Flavor wise its very similar to the Big Bang Nectar. That's why I was concerned that this extraction process was going to be a one note wonder. I can happily report though that both the Sour D and the Skywalker wax taste distinctly different from each other as well as from the BB nectar and Rascal OG. I feel the flavors really represent the flowers from which they came.

Top Bottom