hydrology9 by cloudious9

TheChillBud

Does anyone else's mouthpiece rattle as if there is a loose piece within it?
There is a small ball bearing in the mouthpiece that will rattle. I believe it's there to help prevent any leakage when the device is turned upside down. As @Justpassedu mentioned, it may also have something to do with the airflow. Either way, it doesn't pose much of an issue unless you are vigorously shaking your vaporizer...

Adobewan

Thanks Guys, it appears the rattling, as @Justpassedu and @TheChillBud posted, is a ball bearing in the mouthpiece that keeps the water from leaking out. Good idea but,...(see below)

Initial thoughts, after a session or two.
Pros:
-Neat design
-Strong, clean build
-Built in water filtration with no leaks
-Produces good clouds
-So far, it's easily cleaned.

Cons:
-Very restricted air flow, almost unusable at times(I've played with the two screw settings but may need to get to know them better).
-The unit has a bit of a machine oil(?) taste. This may be on me, I have a bit of sensitivity regarding this. Eventually, I had to give up on my Indica and Ascent, and was never able to use my big Flowermate(the big unit, forget the name now) because of the smell/taste issue.
I believe both the airflow and smell/taste issue in the H9 are related to the ball bearing, and it's housing, in the mouthpiece.

Clearly there was work and consideration put into the design of this vape. I can imagine the future of this company being bright as they refine their design. It's very impressive in a number of ways, but if, after thorough alcohol and coconut oil treatments, the smell/taste remain, I will, unfortunately, not be able to use this cool piece either.

Justpassedu

Thanks Guys, it appears the rattling, as @Justpassedu and @TheChillBud posted, is a ball bearing in the mouthpiece that keeps the water from leaking out. Good idea but,...(see below)

Pros:
-Neat design
-Strong, clean build
-Produces good clouds

Cons:
-Very restricted air flow, almost unusable at times(I've played with the two screw settings but may need to get to know them better).
-The unit has a bit of a machine oil(?) taste. This may be on me, I have a bit of sensitivity regarding this. Eventually, I had to give up on my Indica and Ascent, and was never able to use my big Flowermate(the big unit, forget the name now) because of the smell/taste issue.
I believe both the airflow and smell/taste issue in the H9 are related to the ball bearing, and it's housing, in the mouthpiece.

Clearly there was work and consideration put into the design of this vape. I can imagine the future of this company being bright as they refine their design. It's very impressive in a number of ways, but if, after thorough alcohol and coconut oil treatments, the smell/taste remain, I will, unfortunately, not be able to use this cool piece either.
I still have some more testing to do with mine but the very few sessions i have had have been quite pleasant so far. I unlike you I do not sense any smell at all of machine oil or any scent at all but i am not sensitive to these things. I will usually get the smell of plastic with cheaper vapes but this has not produced any odor for me. So far i am finding hits at every heat level to be super smooth and i am not getting any harsh hits at all due to the water filtration. There is one thing i have noticed and it is that not every air-hole/slit that is supposed to bubble under the water is bubbling when hitting it. It has been very random for me. I think this can contribute to what you have stated with there being very minimal airflow. I have also adjusted the airflow knobs on the vape but they have not freed up airflow by much. The next step for me is going to be removing them if i can than screwing them back in a tiny drop to see how that works. The vape so far is very cool though , i like the lights and idea of a built in water filtration system. I do wish the oven was a bit bigger for longer sessions and so far i have only done loose packs so i can leave room in the oven to use the built in stir tool. This is a conduction vape though and usually a conduction vape from my experience works best with a somewhat tighter pack so i will have to give that a try also. My only gripe so far that may make me give it up has do with me personally and i like another member @ataxian , i am not a fan of the bong style mouthpiece , i like a small mouthpiece. This vape though is definitely a looker and a really nice piece , it does not feel cheap at all and so far i have left water in it for 2 weeks with 0 leaking at all.

TheChillBud

Pros:
-Neat design
-Strong, clean build
-Produces good clouds

Cons:

I didn't experience the "machine oil taste", but this is certainly possible and something I've encountered with plenty of other vaporizers. It happens when the machined metal isn't properly cleaned. I'd avoid soaking the mouthpiece in iso simply because of the silicone portion, instead some warm soapy water should do the trick.

After chatting with the folks at cloudious 9 they said that the early 'review models' don't actually have the ability to adjust airflow, despite having the vents. I did find that I could adjust the airflow slightly by playing with the two vents, perhaps I got an updated version or I'm just crazy. The final version is supposed to have easily adjustable vents though.

Justpassedu

I didn't experience the "machine oil taste", but this is certainly possible and something I've encountered with plenty of other vaporizers. It happens when the machined metal isn't properly cleaned. I'd avoid soaking the mouthpiece in iso simply because of the silicone portion, instead some warm soapy water should do the trick.

After chatting with the folks at cloudious 9 they said that the early 'review models' don't actually have the ability to adjust airflow, despite having the vents. I did find that I could adjust the airflow slightly by playing with the two vents, perhaps I got an updated version or I'm just crazy. The final version is supposed to have easily adjustable vents though.
I just got mine recently and there is definitely a difference i feel when adjusting the airflow knobs but its not much , i am thinking i have to try turning them out all the way as i only did a minor adjustment. ty for the info though.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I still have some more testing to do with mine but the very few sessions i have had have been quite pleasant so far. I unlike you I do not sense any smell at all of machine oil or any scent at all but i am not sensitive to these things. I will usually get the smell of plastic with cheaper vapes but this has not produced any odor for me. So far i am finding hits at every heat level to be super smooth and i am not getting any harsh hits at all due to the water filtration. There is one thing i have noticed and it is that not every air-hole/slit that is supposed to bubble under the water is bubbling when hitting it. It has been very random for me. I think this can contribute to what you have stated with there being very minimal airflow. I have also adjusted the airflow knobs on the vape but they have not freed up airflow by much. The next step for me is going to be removing them if i can than screwing them back in a tiny drop to see how that works. The vape so far is very cool though , i like the lights and idea of a built in water filtration system. I do wish the oven was a bit bigger for longer sessions and so far i have only done loose packs so i can leave room in the oven to use the built in stir tool. This is a conduction vape though and usually a conduction vape from my experience works best with a somewhat tighter pack so i will have to give that a try also. My only gripe so far that may make me give it up has do with me personally and i like another member @ataxian , i am not a fan of the bong style mouthpiece , i like a small mouthpiece. This vape though is definitely a looker and a really nice piece , it does not feel cheap at all and so far i have left water in it for 2 weeks with 0 leaking at all.
Big Mouth Pieces like a BonG is gross and 2,000 - 3,000 years behind.

Too bad a new device with a limited market?
Not for MEDICAL users = UNCIVILIZED

It looks like a giant atty tank.

I'm making a atty for dry herbs.
So many MODS these day's?

Last edited:

Adobewan

Just wanted to reinvigorate the thread.
The taste/smell isn't really an issue(seems that may be on me as I suspected), but the draw restriction has gotten to a point that I can't actually draw through it. I've reached out to Cloudious this am and hope to get some advise on clearing up the draw, but hoped some fellow FC brethren who're successfully using their's may have some advise.
I really want this unit to work out, it has some very cool features.
TIA

Adobewan,
Reactions: ataxian

TheChillBud

Just wanted to reinvigorate the thread.
The taste/smell isn't really an issue(seems that may be on me as I suspected), but the draw restriction has gotten to a point that I can't actually draw through it. I've reached out to Cloudious this am and hope to get some advise on clearing up the draw, but hoped some fellow FC brethren who're successfully using their's may have some advise.
I really want this unit to work out, it has some very cool features.
TIA
Sorry to hear the draw restriction has gotten that bad.
I found that when the water level was too low (almost no water) the airflow got seriously restricted. Not exactly sure why, but when I filled the water to the 1/2 mark the draw got a lot better. Again, no idea why.
I'd also check the vents to be sure they're clean and maybe try fiddling with them to open them up further. Hope this helps.

Adobewan

Sorry to hear the draw restriction has gotten that bad.
I found that when the water level was too low (almost no water) the airflow got seriously restricted. Not exactly sure why, but when I filled the water to the 1/2 mark the draw got a lot better. Again, no idea why.
I'd also check the vents to be sure they're clean and maybe try fiddling with them to open them up further. Hope this helps.
It does, thanks @TheChillBud
Sounds like it actually needs water loaded for proper draw, I'll give that a go.
Can you tell me, should the vents be screwed all the way in or as far out as possible?
TIA

TheChillBud

It does, thanks @TheChillBud
Sounds like it actually needs water loaded for proper draw, I'll give that a go.
Can you tell me, should the vents be screwed all the way in or as far out as possible?
TIA
The model I got for review was actually still a prototype, so the vents were just locked in place and I couldn't customize the airflow. I would assume all the way out would open the airflow, unfortunately I can't confidently answer that for you.

TheChillBud

Alright! I got word from the company that should help address the airflow issue that some of us seem to be having.
It has nothing to do with the two adjustable vents.
The small disk at the base of the stir stick that has small holes in it has a tendency to get gummed up. Brushing off this disk between uses will help ensure a healthy airflow.
I've kept this disk pretty clean between uses because I brush the oven / stir stick off after every use anyway. After paying some extra attention to this disk in particular I've certainly noticed an improvement in the airflow.
Hoping it helps you guys as well.

Stay chill,
T. Bud.

Adobewan

Received an updated version, new design on the vents, much easier to understand their function, noticeably less resistance to the draw. On top of that, I was told there is yet another design innovation on the vents coming in the next update. Sounds like they are forging ahead with a mission to get this unit living up to its full potential. Encouraging.

If I can pick nits, further design considerations might be aimed at the emptying/filling of the chamber. It's difficult not to be trepidacious when turning the unit upside down and right side up to open and stir/loosen a spent chamber and dump/ load contents, while the unit is loaded with water.

My faith endures.

Adobewan,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
One of my main concern with this unit: How to clean the vaporpath between the bowl and the watertool? I tried to dismantle mine but I wasn't able to reach this part for cleaning...

I agree the manufacturer seems to want to learn from his mistakes, that's a good sign but, personnaly, I don't think this design appealing except for a futuristic coffee shop where every customer will get his "vapor shot" in hands....

TheChillBud

Just for a quick update regarding the airflow.
Here is the old disk they used:
OKQAnpB.jpg

These tiny little holes get clogged up really easily and the airflow suffers.
They sent me a pic of the newly machined disk they are replacing it with:
TmXg7nH.jpg

As you can see, the holes are much larger, the outside of the disk is re-tooled and overall airflow should be much better according to the company. I haven't had the chance to try out this new change, but I can only assume it will have a dramatic affect on the performance of the Hydrology 9.
Stay chill folks :)

Hello

First time posting here, semi-long time lurker.

I just bought a Hydrology9 today. I will post my thoughts on the whole experience in a week or so once I get the product and get a feel for it.

Hello

First time posting here, semi-long time lurker.

I just bought a Hydrology9 today. I will post my thoughts on the whole experience in a week or so once I get the product and get a feel for it.

Also, since the product released today, will this thread be moved?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stormsend

I actually spoke to a rep for Hydrology9 over the phone and was told this device has a 90 day warranty... :/

Stormsend,

TheChillBud

I actually spoke to a rep for Hydrology9 over the phone and was told this device has a 90 day warranty... :/
I believe that rep was mistaken. Took a look at the warranty info on the site and it says 2-years limited warranty. Got in touch with the owners and they confirmed that the warranty is 2-years as well.
https://www.cloudious9.com/WARRANTY_ep_4-1.html
Have a new Hydrology 9 unit heading my way as we speak! As soon as it arrives and I get a chance to check it out I'll be sure to post my findings here. There's a few changes from the model I initially reviewed that I'm pretty excited about (improved airflow for one).
Until then, toke on buds :)

Stormsend

I believe that rep was mistaken. Took a look at the warranty info on the site and it says 2-years limited warranty. Got in touch with the owners and they confirmed that the warranty is 2-years as well.
https://www.cloudious9.com/WARRANTY_ep_4-1.html
Have a new Hydrology 9 unit heading my way as we speak! As soon as it arrives and I get a chance to check it out I'll be sure to post my findings here. There's a few changes from the model I initially reviewed that I'm pretty excited about (improved airflow for one).
Until then, toke on buds :)
Wow I wish I got that rep's name bc he just cost them a customer. I ended up getting an Arizer Solo 2, but hopefully this does well and gets a revised model or something. Interested what others impressions are

Stormsend

I followed up with another rep and I think the first person meant there is a 14 day return policy even though I asked for warranty.

How much material can the oven hold?

Stormsend,

Stormsend

0.2 in average...

The third version of this vape was shipped to me some days ago... I hope they improved it enough to be a decent option for all the addicts of water filtration.

It looks like... a pint of vapor!
I just cancelled my Arizer solo 2 and ordered this yesterday. How lon does it take to ship?

jules172

Definitely interested in hearing more responses on this one, especially with the production unit. I've never set up an adapter/glass rig, but this all in one solution is intriguing.

jules172,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Does this unit have a lot of small parts that can get lost? I like easy and easy to maintain. I worry about the cleaning with the water. I wouldn't want any mold to start to accumulate, like in little nooks and crannies to clean.

Im keeping an eye on this one. I like the water filtration but does your flowers still have great flavor? Does the water take away from the flavor?

Last edited:
CarolKing,

Adobewan

Does this unit have a lot of small parts that can get lost? I like easy and easy to maintain. I worry about the cleaning with the water. I wouldn't want any mold to start to accumulate, like in little nooks and crannies to clean.

Im keeping an eye on this one. I like the water filtration but does your flowers still have great flavor? Does the water take away from the flavor?
No on little parts Carol. Taking it apart to clean it reveals the beauty and simplicity of the design. Very well thought out.

Top Bottom