Hungary men's water polo

MinnBobber

Anybody else watching Hungary men's water polo team kick arse on Russia in the finals?
Sweet revenge for them.

We were in Budapest last May and loved it.
Any Hungarian FCers here?

Love to go back and do the hot bathes next time, and maybe have better luck finding
some bud next time...

Tranquility

I had a good friend who died a couple of years ago who's father played on the Hungarian water polo team back in the '50s. He fled the tanks and was a part of the many who defected to the U.S. from the Eastern Bloc. The story of the escape was always told around large tables with lots of strong coffee and half burning cigarettes being waived through the air. (Pro tip, don't mention Romanians. Just to be safe, avoid Turks or Polish too. There ain't no party like a Hungarian party when the talk turns to the 1500's. Old guys suddenly became young guys full of vim and vigor just hoping for a chance at revenge.) When I try to look him up now, it is clear the name I knew is an Americanized version and I can't see him on the roster.

Blood in the Water, these finals are not. But I know the family is pleased.

MinnBobber

(Pro tip, don't mention Romanians. Just to be safe, avoid Turks or Polish too. There ain't no party like a Hungarian party when the talk turns to the 1500's. Old guys suddenly became young guys full of vim and vigor just hoping for a chance at revenge.)
And don't mention Austria either as Hungarians still hate them. We had a great guide who shared that Austria's great cities, buildings etc came on the backs of Hungary---what they stole or usurped from Hungary.
Buda and Pest areas were great and we went to see a Hungarian horse show where they showed off their horsemanship prowess .

Top Bottom