How to tell when weed is used...

HuskerMath

So, following pictoral and taste advice from this forum, it seems that the general consensus is that if it tastes like burnt popcorn and is yellowish-brown, then the weed is used. Here's my question: The weed is the right color mixed with dark browns, and certainly tastes like burnt popcorn. When I loaded the whip, I thought that I'd have to reload it later to feel anything. Well, I only did two hits, and I was pretty gone. So is there a better way to tell? Do I just keep testing each time before reloading? Because clearly those two tips aren't working for me.

HuskerMath,

lwien

Yup. A lot of it has to do with the temp that you are vaping at. For me, my ABV comes out a VERY dark brown, about the shade of dark chocolate, before it starts tasting like burnt popcorn and ceases to provide any vapor.

For me, if it's just yellowish-brown, I have a long way to go before it's cashed. For others who are really into edibles and who want to save their ABV for making those edibles, or who just want the THC high without the CBD's that are available at higher temps, just vaping to a yellowish-brown may be more desirable.

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Im sure that you will come up with what is comfortable for you one you get some more vaping time under your belt. And thats one of the benefits of vaporization as well - YOU get to choose the level of vapedness that you get to achieve.

Personally, I like to vape my stuff to a point between the yellowish/tan to much darker based on what effects I want.

Then of course ALL of my ABV gets saved for reuse later :)

weedemon

enthusiast
personally i think vaping to the point where the herb is black is going too far, and defeats the purpose of vaporizing. that said, I assume you are really enjoying the high that coems from the higher temperatures?

for me I stop when i feel i am no longer getting a detectable level of vapor. i cash the bowl then. usually this means a medium brown colour depending on what vape i use. I find with the TV1 and the UD I go darker than I will with my mflb, or volcano.

btw on a side note: I got to see symphony x in concert a few years ago in toronto. I was one of the only ones smoking a joint (i still smoked back then). lol different crowd surprisingly. but the band said, man... I can tell we are in canada... and then he commented about the smell of weed. lol

HuskerMath

weedemon said:
for me I stop when i feel i am no longer getting a detectable level of vapor. i cash the bowl then. usually this means a medium brown colour depending on what vape i use. I find with the TV1 and the UD I go darker than I will with my mflb, or volcano.

btw on a side note: I got to see symphony x in concert a few years ago in toronto. I was one of the only ones smoking a joint (i still smoked back then). lol different crowd surprisingly. but the band said, man... I can tell we are in canada... and then he commented about the smell of weed. lol

Yeah, that's kind of what I've started to do. When I know a batch is nearing 'the end', I hit it and let out a little air to see if there's even any vapor left. I think that my original batch got that dark because I may have burnt some without realizing it.

I've wanted to see them in concert for years, just never had the opportunity. From the power/symphonic metal concerts I've gone to (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, and Falconer), it doesn't seem like that crowd is too much into pot. That being said, go to any ska concert and you'll probably get a second-hand high lol The last ska concert I went to literally had a designated "Smoking area" (with a yellow sign and everything), and not a single person had a cigarette on them.

Nycdeisel

Everyone vapes it to a different degree. some vape it as far as it can possibly go, but others who enjoy making edibles and other goodies from ABV should not go that dark.

For some it is a matter of taste, or the kind of vapor, or maybe the effect that is produced when the herb gets that close to being fully finished. Myself, its a little bit of everything, but i do vape it to around the color of tobacco(a tad bit darker maybe).

weedemon

enthusiast
you have good taste in metal :p

I've seen Sonata Arctica also! :) and yep same thing then as well! :D Tool and bands like that, however and you don't even need to bring your own :D

weedemon,
Reactions: CarolKing

ginolicious

When it gets brown it's done.

I put nothing in. This pic is after 3 pulls without fan assistance. Got me high. Still more to hit.
image_1.jpg

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It depends on how my cannabis taste is the true indicator for me. Usually there's more life left to the herb with lighter and darker specks. If I tried I could get another 10 min session but it's not always tasty vapor wise for me.

I save my ABV for edibles to mix in with fresh herb to get a well rounded medicine to help with deep pain and sedating for evening. I've been working on trying to get that right. Its been a long process. I also want to try making a cream too.

Some of us like to vaporize to an inch of the cannabis's life and that works too, like that dark coffee color.

Last edited:

ginolicious

It depends on how my cannabis taste is the true indicator for me. Usually there's more life left to the herb with lighter and darker specks. If I tried I could get another 10 min session but it's not always tasty vapor wise for me.

I save my ABV for edibles to mix in with fresh herb to get a well rounded medicine to help with deep pain and sedating for evening. I've been working on trying to get that right. Its been a long process. I also want to try making a cream too.

Some of us like to vaporize to an inch of the cannabis's life and that works too, like that dark coffee color.

I'm just like you. I save my AvB for cooking. Trying to find a good process to make butter. I enjoy the taste. When it just tastes like generic vapor or the exhales are small I check the bowl and cash it. On bags I get my AvB really dark brown.

uhranium

I developed the habit of grinding up a nug, and everything that's too much for the filling chamber goes into the ABV container. I have some abv containers depending on how hot the weed was put before emptying the chamber:

160°C, 190°C+fresh stuff and 210°C+fresh stuff, so when i'm out of weed I have different ABV levels to choose from. Since I'm pretty poor I vape up my stuff until nothing comes out. Then I start to get reclaim.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Every vape leaves abv in a different state....and you can't tell it's done by color alone, at least until you acclimate to how each of your vapes works.

The FF extracts maybe 85% and leaves me with very dark abv. The Mighty extracts nearly 100% but leaves behind not-very-dark abv. The Mighty abv looks barely cooked, but nothing is left. The FF abv looks nearly charred, yet has several large hits left.

Strains and humidity also impact it. Every vape is different.....get used to them, and practice practice practice. :)

And as Mom said....no more vapor means no more vapor. :lol:

uhranium

I have to tell you, that even my mighty abv that's very dark still produces vapour. Usually you just don't have the time to actually finish a bowl. I suggest putting the mighty on cord, Max temperature and sip sip sip

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Every vape leaves abv in a different state....and you can't tell it's done by color alone, at least until you acclimate to how each of your vapes works.

The FF extracts maybe 85% and leaves me with very dark abv. The Mighty extracts nearly 100% but leaves behind not-very-dark abv. The Mighty abv looks barely cooked, but nothing is left. The FF abv looks nearly charred, yet has several large hits left.

Strains and humidity also impact it. Every vape is different.....get used to them, and practice practice practice. :)

And as Mom said....no more vapor means no more vapor. :lol:
That is so true. skywalker OG is one of my fav strains and it stays light in color even when completely spent, so then you fall back on taste. I know I can usually get 2 - 10 min sessions with my cannabis using my Solo, so I just have one session. It leaves the rest of the ABV for edibles. You have to experiment and know your strains and that can be difficult in many areas. Quite often folks have no idea if they are getting an Indica or a Sativa.

You get to know your vaporizer and figure out how far you can take your herb. Do you want to extract every bit of goodies or save some for a later date. You get to decide what works best.

If your bud is too dried out that can affect what you can receive out of it. Light and air will degrade your product. Also how many hands have touched your meds.

Last edited:

howie105

So, following pictoral and taste advice from this forum, it seems that the general consensus is that if it tastes like burnt popcorn and is yellowish-brown, then the weed is used. Here's my question: The weed is the right color mixed with dark browns, and certainly tastes like burnt popcorn. When I loaded the whip, I thought that I'd have to reload it later to feel anything. Well, I only did two hits, and I was pretty gone. So is there a better way to tell? Do I just keep testing each time before reloading? Because clearly those two tips aren't working for me.

The actual point of where the bud is done is really a point where many variables and preferences come together. For example a hot vape can cook out a load in just a few draws (sometimes less) while a well regulated heat to air ratio can stretch a load across multiple sessions. Other variables like grind levels, moisture, and a myriad of hardware factors come into play affecting both the taste and visual presentation of the herb after use. Personal preferences is also (perhaps largest) factor when deciding when its over. When times are thin I can get a buzz off some awfully nasty tasting and looking ABV but when times are plush the ABV container is a trash can. Its all an individual thing you know. Seriously keep testing and you will find your own sweet spot where it all comes together for you. Good Luck

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I developed the habit of grinding up a nug, and everything that's too much for the filling chamber goes into the ABV container. I have some abv containers depending on how hot the weed was put before emptying the chamber:

160°C, 190°C+fresh stuff and 210°C+fresh stuff, so when i'm out of weed I have different ABV levels to choose from. Since I'm pretty poor I vape up my stuff until nothing comes out. Then I start to get reclaim.
Nothing wrong with it if it works for you, but that seems like a kinda wasteful way of doing things if you're trying to conserve your stash...
(Couldn't quite tell if you're re-vaping your ABV/fresh, or making reclaim oil/edibles from it)
If you just had another container for the "salad bowl" of excess fresh stuff, you'd end up with more fresh bowls.
Which means you'd get more out of your stash when vaping fresh, and a bit less out of re-vaping the leftovers.

I'd personally argue it's easier to extract one fresh load fully vs trying to ensure all the bits of fresh get fully vaped when revaping the abv...

:shrug:

If you like the fresh stuff leaving your abv with a fuller spectrum of cannabinoids, or whatnot then more power to ya:), but it just seems like a bit of an odd ritual to me :2c:

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

uhranium

If I don't do this, I kill off my fresh stuff and buy new weed without using the ABV. Now, if I'm out of weed (which happens not that much faster since I am vaping the amount based on how much I got left) I hit the ABV until it 's done. Saves me money, less bowls vaped.

uhranium,
Top Bottom