How to keep getting notified about new posts

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Not sure the right place to ask this, but, is there a setting to keep getting notices of new posts in a watched thread even if you haven't responded to the last notice? Notices seem to stop if I ignore a previous notice.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Not sure the right place to ask this, but, is there a setting to keep getting notices of new posts in a watched thread even if you haven't responded to the last notice? Notices seem to stop if I ignore a previous notice.

Sorry, that's how xenForo works. There's no setting to change this.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
OK, here is another. Is there any way to determine the number of posts I have made in a given thread? If I want to determine how many posts I have made in, say, the Lotus thread, is there any way to ask the system?

cybrguy,
Reactions: VegNVape

friedrich

Little-Known Member
OK, here is another. Is there any way to determine the number of posts I have made in a given thread? If I want to determine how many posts I have made in, say, the Lotus thread, is there any way to ask the system?
In the thread: click the search box, enter your username for "Posted by Member", check "Search this thread only" and press Search. There will be a count at the bottom of the results.

friedrich,
Reactions: VegNVape

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey @cybrguy :)

If you are not browsing on a phone, find the thread you want in the relevent forum, and then hover your mouse over your avatar which is inset on the thread authors avatar, next to the thread title.

A pop-up will appear telling you how many messages you have posted in that particular thread.

Et voilà!

Peace bro.
:peace:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Why can I only like things when fc is ready???
No matter how many times I click that button it won't like, then when I go back to it later it let's me like...
Iv just learned to deal with this and go back and like stuff later...

kellya86,
Reactions: 1DMF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@kellya86 I'm not sure, but I think there are issues with the version served to mobile devices, there are a lot of things that simply can't work (such as hover effects).

And depending on the device and the underlying OS, means the device's browser might be sucky (such as iPhones and Safari)

Even apple fanboy's have to admit Safari is the worst browser on the market and always has been.

It could also be a delay thing, dependent on how good your connection is and the server responding to the request. You may find that the page hasn't fully loaded and so resources such as JavaScript with the 'on-click' events haven't been registered yet.

A quick glance shows it is likely they are using JQuery and if on-click events are assigned / delegated at 'document ready', which is common practice using the JQuery framework, only when the page has fully loaded are the events registered.

How long have you waited before trying to like something?

Can you confirm the page has fully loaded before trying to use any functionality?

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Yes the page is definitely fully loaded, I use a note 4 for fc browsing..

It just let me like your post straight away this time, but other times I can press like as much as I want with no like...

I always come back and like the things I couldn't like, but sometimes I feel rude that I can't like something, it's sort of like a little thank you, or just some mutual acknowledgement of a point..

When someone has liked my previous post and said something good, I can't return the gesture...

It annoys me a little but I'll live with it... I'm sure the guys at fc are updating all the time, sure it will get fixed eventually...

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
If you look at the code the like is two span tags wrapped in an anchor, and it could be the way your mobile is handling this.

Especially as span and anchor tags are inline elements and need to be set to inline-block for widths to be applied correctly.

They have also been floated out of the normal document flow, which again can cause z-index issues, so although they are visible, the layers aren't giving access to the underlying element functionality.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
You may as well be speaking Chinese!!!

But I'm sure someone else will understand,
I'm better at building houses, fixing cars, and growing flowers...

kellya86,
Reactions: 1DMF

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i also have a question ...

is there an alternative reader that can read a thread and reformat the content - most important to me, pull out images into a gallery. i'd also like it to organize the comments - grouped by tags/terms to isolate sidebar discussions (could be an AI bot); and, group/list comments by user name. maybe apply an outliner to show important comments - likes, emojies, mod intervention.

so, does such a thing exist? can't be that hard to do.

Hippie Dickie,

°k

The sound of vapor
I have a question too.

Is the feature to insert html code restricted to admins only?

I was trying to embed a player from bandcamp using insert code and then selecting html as language since the player link is in html but I can't seem to make it work, here is how it looks like when I use it:

HTML:
<iframe style="border: 0; width: 400px; height: 472px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=268660074/size=large/bgcol=333333/linkcol=e99708/artwork=small/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://shop.coldbusted.org/album/a-cosmic-safari">A Cosmic Safari by Jenova 7 &amp; Eddie Shinn</a></iframe>

Is this something that would have to be added to the forum features so bandcamp players can be supported as media like youtube or DM and the like?

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
I have a question too.

I was trying to embed a player from bandcamp using insert code and then selecting html as language since the player link is in html but I can't seem to make it work, here is how it looks like when I use it:

HTML:
<iframe style="border: 0; width: 400px; height: 472px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=268660074/size=large/bgcol=333333/linkcol=e99708/artwork=small/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://shop.coldbusted.org/album/a-cosmic-safari">A Cosmic Safari by Jenova 7 &amp; Eddie Shinn</a></iframe>

Is this something that would have to be added to the forum features so bandcamp players can be supported as media like youtube or DM and the like?

If you choose to check the sandbox thread you'll see my failed attempts at embedding a player into my posts.

:shrug:

h3rbalist,
Reactions: °k

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I have a question too.

HTML:

The forum software does not support HTML code. The list of supported media playback types is short and is displayed in the Insert Media popup. I would not use any forum software that allowed what you are attempting, since it would be a nasty security hole.

pakalolo,
Reactions: cybrguy

°k

The sound of vapor
The forum software does not support HTML code. The list of supported media playback types is short and is displayed in the Insert Media popup. I would not use any forum software that allowed what you are attempting, since it would be a nasty security hole.
So the answers to my questions are:

1) "you don't need to know"
2) "you're still here?"

I get the just, thank you. ;)

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
That's great but could you answer the conundrum that is your profile name.

How do I tag or PM you? It's really a pain.

Do I need to brush up on my C++ or something. ;)

h3rbalist,

°k

The sound of vapor
That's great but could you answer the conundrum that is your profile name.

How do I tag or PM you? It's really a pain.

Do I need to brush up on my C++ or something. ;)
Never really thought it was such an issue as a simple copy paste of my name would work. And no need to get the big C++ guns out, just type Alt + O176. :)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So the answers to my questions are:

1) "you don't need to know"
2) "you're still here?"

I get the just, thank you. ;)

It appears that you don't. Please don't put words in my mouth. My answer was straightforward with no hidden meaning. The forum software does not support HTML code for embedding video. If you need that explained to you, please use a PM.

pakalolo,
Reactions: h3rbalist

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I realize this is off topic but I have tried contacting forum admin about this in the past and gotten no response and I know you guys know your shit.

I am watching (with email notifications) several threads here on FC. At random intervals, I will stop getting notifications of new posts on one or more of those threads. After a couple of days I realize there MUST have been posts and check the threads to find that there have been many messages and although I am still watching the thread, I didn't receive any emails.

After I un-watch and re-watch the thread, I start getting emails again until I don't. I don't see any rhyme or reason as to why or when it happens, but it happens over and over again.

Has anyone else had this happen? Anyone know how to stop it from happening?

Again, sorry for the OT.

moondog,

MonkeyTime

I realize this is off topic but I have tried contacting forum admin about this in the past and gotten no response and I know you guys know your shit.

I am watching (with email notifications) several threads here on FC. At random intervals, I will stop getting notifications of new posts on one or more of those threads. After a couple of days I realize there MUST have been posts and check the threads to find that there have been many messages and although I am still watching the thread, I didn't receive any emails.

After I un-watch and re-watch the thread, I start getting emails again until I don't. I don't see any rhyme or reason as to why or when it happens, but it happens over and over again.

Again, sorry for the OT.
I found similar inconsistencies and now when I log in I just hit "watched threads", shows me just what I'm following that has had new posts. Works for me because I check in often :science:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

Again, sorry for the OT.

If you visit FC and do not read a watched thread, the software assumes you are no longer interested and stops sending notifications until you visit the thread again.

Top Bottom