How to judge quality of Hash Oil

FourTwentyJG

Long time smoker, new to concentrates... What should i look for to judge the quality of Hash oil?

FourTwentyJG,

rasmundi

Pre-judging is usually a skill determined by experience, but for a newby smell might be the best clue. If it smells good, it generally is good. Appearance can also indicate quality - clarity and translucence are desirable traits. If it looks "sick", take a pass.

Once you own it, effect and taste should be readily apparent and easily judged. Poorly filtered or contaminated oil can spark, and water content will snap and pop. Higher quality comes from complete extractions of bud only and that's where you will find the wacky floral and fruity flavors, scrap extractions have less flavor and terpenes.

SD_haze

Pre-judging is usually a skill determined by experience, but for a newby smell might be the best clue. If it smells good, it generally is good. Appearance can also indicate quality - clarity and translucence are desirable traits. If it looks "sick", take a pass.

Once you own it, effect and taste should be readily apparent and easily judged. Poorly filtered or contaminated oil can spark, and water content will snap and pop. Higher quality comes from complete extractions of bud only and that's where you will find the wacky floral and fruity flavors, scrap extractions have less flavor and terpenes.
Seconded pretty much all of that!

Smell is my #1 sense when detecting quality oil.
Also, if it is close to a black color, don't expect too much.

thesoloman

one thing i do to test my oil is i put it on a dabber and hit it with a lighter, if its bad oil it will spark/arc of the dabber and look like a fire work, good oil will drop down into a pile, once its in a pile i hit it with a torch again d look for more spark-age. Well purged high quality oil should not spark. If it sparks return that schwag

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Thanks for the helpful answers :) so as far as coloring, the idea is the lighter the better correct?

Not necessarily, color can be dependent on the strain used, whether it was trim or nugs, how long ago it was harvest, ect.. also purging can affect the color aswell.

I find that judging by color is not only the simplest way to judge, but one of the worst/least accurate.

SD_haze

Not necessarily, color can be dependent on the strain used, whether it was trim or nugs, how long ago it was harvest, ect.. also purging can affect the color aswell.

I find that judging by color is not only the simplest way to judge, but one of the worst/least accurate.
I'll choose smell over color any day of the week!

FourTwentyJG

one thing i do to test my oil is i put it on a dabber and hit it with a lighter, if its bad oil it will spark/arc of the dabber and look like a fire work, good oil will drop down into a pile, once its in a pile i hit it with a torch again d look for more spark-age. Well purged high quality oil should not spark. If it sparks return that schwag

It sounds to me like this is the best technique, what does it mean if the oil actually catches fire though? Happened to me once when i was trying to load some reclaim into my ecig style vape i use for concentrates lol.

FourTwentyJG,

thesoloman

It means you shouldn't smoke it.. lol. On a more complex level it means there is something flammable and probably petroleum based leftover from the butane, when asked this same question from a delivery man(who's oil was SHIT). I made a short video showing his bad unperged oil, vs some that was heat/vacuum purged, maybe @exhaleclouds would be nice enough to edit that vid and post it up for us?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

I medicate with both Concentrate and Flowers equally.
My preference is BLONDE well purged wax.
I know what is worthy of loading in to a CART.
Practice!

Jimmy Hendricks once sang are you EXPERIENCED?

I love concentrates:

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
Another way not mentioned, but also not an end all of quality judgements, is consistency. Consistency can tell you two very important things. 1) the overall temperature used for the purge, and 2) the type of purged used. As you make your travels down this new BHO road you will start to be able to hone in more on the differences between water bathing with heat+time, vacuuming, use of different solvents, whipping, and combinations of therein or more. With that being said what your generally looking for is not necessarily a lighter oil, but an oil that is transparent through a house light, and moderately handle able, as in you can touch it, and it leaves little to no residue on your finger, or at least that's how i feel anyway.

SD_haze

Another way not mentioned, but also not an end all of quality judgements, is consistency. Consistency can tell you two very important things. 1) the overall temperature used for the purge, and 2) the type of purged used. As you make your travels down this new BHO road you will start to be able to hone in more on the differences between water bathing with heat+time, vacuuming, use of different solvents, whipping, and combinations of therein or more. With that being said what your generally looking for is not necessarily a lighter oil, but an oil that is transparent through a house light, and moderately handle able, as in you can touch it, and it leaves little to no residue on your finger, or at least that's how i feel anyway.
Agreed x2

SD_haze,
Top Bottom