• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

How to clean vape parts and reclaim resin

alevity

Well for those of us who are vaporizing non resinous herbs "wink" or are using molasses, getting the baked on gunk out is a bit more important than salvaging, in that case i use extra strong Oven cleaner spray. I coat the baked on bits and let sit for 30 minutes while slightly warm and wash off the stuff makes a old whip shine like new :D

alevity,

cogz756

Heady Oil head
JeffVapo said:
Hello, great topic, I have few questions

frist of all, can you make hash from the plastic tube? I just tried a little puff to test (hash scrapped out of my plastic tube), hash was having a bad taste (taste like plastic)

also, concerning wand hash, Can you just scrape it out and smoke it?

thanks for any tips!
lol well your probably smoking plastic from when u scraped it out u scraped out the plastic too...

cogz756,

2clicker

Observer
what about putting small pieces of herb into the wand behind the screen... followed by another screen to keep it in place. and herb filter if you will. this would add more surface area for the still warm enough condensation to build up. youd still be able to reclaim whats on the glass and youd have some incredible goo coated herbs.

thoughts?

2clicker,

sixthsensi

Vapor Rapor
@ vtac, Just wanted to thank you for posting this man! I had previously been dumping my trichome/resin ridden bong water into my swamp cooler. lol, I knew there had to be a way to "reclaim" it. Thanks for taking a minute to share with others.:)

sixthsensi,

hereatlast

sixthsensi is the payoff big enough for you? I've debated whether or not I should keep the ISO I clean my glass with, its only ever so faintly amber colored; I clean pretty often though.

hereatlast,

sixthsensi

Vapor Rapor
hereatlast, it depends. I used iso this last time because I had a thick layer of trichomes at the bottom of my bong. I hadn't changed the water for about a week and wasn't sure if they were still
"good" or not. So, for that, it worked perfectly. I put the iso/water mixture into a pyrex dish and set it out in the sun all day (it was about 108 degrees F that day) and it worked very well. Took approx 4 hours for it to fully evaporate. It does taste pretty terrible, but it still had good medicinal value. I didn't try burning the remainder of alcohol off. Think I'm going to try the scrape and bake method next time, wanna practice making some edibles. Anyhoot, if your all outta medication and need it right away, I would do the ISO alcohol method. If you've got plenty of bud, I would do the tincture or edible methods. Been dry for a few days, hopefully I can go get some kind bud 2day....:(

sixthsensi,

CosmoKramer

I think that wand "resin/hash" is like 5% vapor resin.. and 95% tiny pieces of weed that got pushed through the screen during stirring and stuck to the wand.

CosmoKramer,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
sixthsensi said:
@ vtac, Just wanted to thank you for posting this man! I had previously been dumping my trichome/resin ridden bong water into my swamp cooler. lol, I knew there had to be a way to "reclaim" it. Thanks for taking a minute to share with others.:)
Glad it helped!

CosmoKramer said:
I think that wand "resin/hash" is like 5% vapor resin.. and 95% tiny pieces of weed that got pushed through the screen during stirring and stuck to the wand.
Unless your screen has massive holes or you're vaping powdered herb, that's unlikely. Look at how much resin remains after filtering the alcohol and evaporating.

vtac,

CosmoKramer

It's very likely. There need not be any holes other than the screens tiny squares. I vape ground weed, and some of it most definitely gets through. I use a water filter, and you can see a ton of tiny light brown particles fill the water after a fast hit. Don't usually do fast hits, so most of it gets pushed through when stirring or shaking the bowl between hits.

CosmoKramer,

wolf torn

haha...

ya

that doesn't happen at all in my eq....just extracted for first time off elbow and it worked out very nicely! Thanks OP

wolf torn,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
CosmoKramer said:
It's very likely. There need not be any holes other than the screens tiny squares. I vape ground weed, and some of it most definitely gets through. I use a water filter, and you can see a ton of tiny light brown particles fill the water after a fast hit. Don't usually do fast hits, so most of it gets pushed through when stirring or shaking the bowl between hits.
If the buildup in your wand is 95% herb bits something is wrong. If you filter the alcohol mixture as described in the OP it is removed anyway. The wand pictured in the OP was used by a friend of mine who often had a damaged screen. Even so it was not even close to 95%. Not "very likely" ime.

cause you get puny hits on your extreme fan vape :p
That wasn't needed. Take a look at our rules before you post again, thanks.

vtac,

hereatlast

I'd say the ratio is about the opposite, 95% condensed vapor and 5% particulate. vtac is definitely on point about a damaged screen if your getting that much physical herb behind it, even with a packed bowl of kief I know I'm getting more resin than particulate per session.

hereatlast,

2clicker

Observer
here is a pic of my wand and its progress

this is my first wandfull... is it time to extract or would you keep waiting?

thanks!
WH1.jpg

---

so would extracting the wand above be worth the effort or should i keep waiting?

---

k well im just gonna scrape it

Modnote: 3 posts merged. Please don't bump threads.

2clicker,

hereatlast

An ISO extract would totally be worth it, a much cleaner and exhaustive process than what scraping will achieve IME. It's also very hard to deal with that product when scraping, much easier when its consolidated after the ISO evaporates. Best of luck.

hereatlast,

2clicker

Observer
hereatlast said:
An ISO extract would totally be worth it, a much cleaner and exhaustive process than what scraping will achieve IME. It's also very hard to deal with that product when scraping, much easier when its consolidated after the ISO evaporates. Best of luck.
so i did the scrape today. i realized that i probably should have waited a bit longer to make it worth taking the time it took to get it all. i put it in the freezer as suggested a couple of times on this board, but i feel that process made it harder. anyway, i made out with what i would describe as a 1/4" cube... maybe 3/8". the stuff is incredibly potent. ill be waiting longer before the next extraction.

some of the really concentrated areas didnt crack or flake off like i thought it would. the consistency was that of pipe resin almost. the scraping really only was pushing it around the surface not jarring it loose. it was getting stuck on my marble pick... the wax paper i had made that easier to work with. i expected something else... not sure why.

i ordered a second wand today so i will able to try an iso soak. honestly tho i think heating it with a small torch and dripping it into/onto something would be best. unless of course if the heating method does not work with vapor condensate...? if i was gonna do an iso soak i think i would get some rubber corks or stoppers. that way you can cork one end, fill the wand and cork the other. shake it about and let it sit. anyone else try this?

i was really looking forward to the wand hash working out a little better. maybe i need to wait longer. there was probably a little over and OZ put through that wand.

2clicker,

RGNSUP

2clicker said:
hereatlast said:
so i did the scrape today. i realized that i probably should have waited a bit longer to make it worth taking the time it took to get it all. i put it in the freezer as suggested a couple of times on this board, but i feel that process made it harder. anyway, i made out with what i would describe as a 1/4" cube... maybe 3/8". the stuff is incredibly potent. ill be waiting longer before the next extraction.

some of the really concentrated areas didnt crack or flake off like i thought it would. the consistency was that of pipe resin almost. the scraping really only was pushing it around the surface not jarring it loose. it was getting stuck on my marble pick... the wax paper i had made that easier to work with. i expected something else... not sure why.

i ordered a second wand today so i will able to try an iso soak. honestly tho i think heating it with a small torch and dripping it into/onto something would be best. unless of course if the heating method does not work with vapor condensate...? if i was gonna do an iso soak i think i would get some rubber corks or stoppers. that way you can cork one end, fill the wand and cork the other. shake it about and let it sit. anyone else try this?

i was really looking forward to the wand hash working out a little better. maybe i need to wait longer. there was probably a little over and OZ put through that wand.
What I did was put my wand in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then used a wooden bamboo skewer and scraped out as much as I could. I collected that and put in a vile. I then took my wand and tried pouring some in and shaking, but I didn't like that so much, so I put the wand in freezer bag, poured just enough ISO in there and shook it. I shook it and messed with it under I saw the wand was clean, and then just poured it all out on a glass crock pot cover. I let it evaporate and was left with a nice golden oil with some particles. Scraped that up and put that in a vile.

RGNSUP,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
for those tough to get out stains i'm not shy about using acetone (understanding it attacks plastic and must be thoroughly dried out).

VWFringe,

osiris989

Best new way to clean a vb whip! (high pressure water) can do at home!

I got this water flosser made from waterpik. (http://www.waterpik.com/oral-health/products/countertop-dental-water-flosser). It uses high pressure water to clean your teeth. and today I used it on my whip, I first dipped the whip in alcohol for about 1 min. I set the water flosser on the highest level and it just blast the grime away. It clean the whole whip within 2 min, no need to remove to screen. I feel this is the fastest and most effective way to clean the whip without the need in taking off the screen. I do not work for waterpik or vapor brothers, I am just a happy customer of these products. (video maybe coming in less than a week)

osiris989,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Water-Pick Parts Washer
I just had a flash of a miniature parts washer made from a water pick, put a big tray over the top so the solvent is directed back into the reservoir - wonder if it'd work, for long, before the seals failed?

I re-use my alcohol for a couple of weeks, keeping it in a small vial I once bought liquid yeast in, then dry in pyrex bowl over coffee warmer (small hot plate) with a fan over it (to prevent water condensing into it and making a milky mess that takes longer to dry out).

warm solvent works better, but watch out for pressure (keep the air end up, and release your finger slowly or it'll spit solvent in your face). for tough spots i use a bamboo skewer or drop a q-tip cotton swab into the tube i'm cleaning and shake it around, then squeeze the alcohol back into the vial.

VWFringe,

2clicker

Observer
for those using ISO to clean your glass wands... how long do you soak the wand before evaping?

or better yet, how long does it take for ISO to clean a wand like a DBV wand or SSV wand?

any help is appreciated!

2clicker,

hereatlast

Don't have either of those wands, but in my experience cleaning and evaping Extreme parts, it depends on how you want to do it. I let my parts sit in a tall glass of alcohol for 12 hours before taking the vape parts out. A good long soak still doesn't get some of those tough buildup spots and a little shaking and alcohol (or a q-tip if your not dead set on evaping that little bit) usually does it.

Someone mentioned some silicon (I think?) little pans, the flexible, heat-proof (oven-ware) stuff. I guess if you let the ISO completely evap. on a little one of these you can just bend and pop the 'resin' out when its hard. Been keeping my eye out for one.

hereatlast,

2clicker

Observer
i ended up scraping the wand with a bamboo skewer (worked great) then using iso on the rest. plugged one end of wand with finger and other with thumb. shook it up with some iso and it came clean quickly. poured that into a lil pyrex dish with the iso my grinder was "agitating" in.

there was probably a 1/4" level of iso in this dish (6X4 roughly). i let it sit outside, covered by a SS screen, for about 4 hours and alot of it evaped. there was still some iso left so i decided to let it stay there all night. today i took it inside to find a nice layer of stickyness and scraped it up with a razor.

i have just vaped it through my DBV and i gotta say using it normal whip style it tastes kinda funny... almost like chemicals...? is that right? shouldnt all the iso have evaped by now? the material i put into the wand was kinda dry and sticky... when using my beaker the taste was much less noticeable.

im not sure what to think of the taste. got me high for real though.

2clicker,
would 95% grain alc b better taste mor natural pure dunno like everclear may b it would help evaporate quicker put into pan/bowl warm h2o

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

hereatlast

2clicker, the taste of the 'wand resin' is really quite weird IME as well. I personally have had to use a higher temp. (when using a variable temp. vape) to really get the best out of it. I wouldn't worry about the ISO, you'd know if there was still some left I'm sure, both visually and definitely by taste.

hemp; not exactly sure what that post above meant but if the question is whether or not Everclear and/or grain alcohol would be better than ISO than I think I can definitely say no. The reason that ISO is preferred when evaporating is that really its just two ingredients: isopropyl alcohol and distilled water, both of which evaporate nicely. Both Everclear and grain alcohol--while very high in alcohol content--will have some sugar/glucose (definitely in the case of the grain alcohol, not sure about Everclear) that will not evaporate and will definitely affect the end result.
Also, while this may not be true in all parts of the world, Everclear/grain alcohol is a LOT more expensive than ISO where I am. :2c:

hereatlast,
Top Bottom