How to clean a dirty, resinous ceramic chamber?

hit&run

Hello,

would like to know what's the best way to clean a dirty ceramic chamber?

I guess i made a false this morning when i cleaned my ceramic chamber with lot's of 99,8% isopropanol. It's dirty like before and now every session tastes like alcohol, even a few hours after trying to clean. :( ... Really hope that awful taste will gone in a few days ...

Thanks for answers :)

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
If you used 99% iso the taste should have gone away after the first session.

Something like this will work nearly as well as 99% and I have found it the be more easily available and cheaper.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/w...1-first-aid-antiseptic/ID=prod6056576-product

When I clean my units, I do a burn off afterwards to help speed up the evaporation process. You don't need to soak the unit with iso, just using a damp cotton swab works fine.

If you want to remove stains from the ceramic, a bit of magic eraser works well. Just make sure you then clean the oven out with iso and a cotton swab after. You don't want any part of the magic eraser left behind.

A tip, turn the unit on before cleaning it. Let it run through a heat cycle first to help loosen up some of the oil build up. After it shuts off, start cleaning it. Hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited:

OF

Hello,

would like to know what's the best way to clean a dirty ceramic chamber?

I guess i made a false this morning when i cleaned my ceramic chamber with lot's of 99,8% isopropanol. It's dirty like before and now every session tastes like alcohol, even a few hours after trying to clean. :( ... Really hope that awful taste will gone in a few days ...

Thanks for answers :)

If the ceramic is not glazed (not shiny like a ceramic coffee cup because of a glass coating, but 'sandpaper like' like the rim on the bottom of the cup where it rests in the kiln) you may have created a long lived problem. Non glazed ceramics would have 'taken up' (absorbed) the ISO/junk solution deep into the material. Very deep, where there's no chance of ever washing it out again. The alcohol will slowly evaporate out (but will also be evaporating and migrating even deeper as well. The situation will improve over time, but might take a long time.

I would not suggest doing that again. Use all solvents carefully, as you've discovered "lots of 99% ISO" is generally not the call for wiping any surface, especially a porous one like unglazed ceramic. More so with enough to 'leak down into the works'. The general idea is careful wiping with a damp swab with the bowl inverted so nothing can drip 'down'.

Heat will help, you didn't mention the vape but I'd run some full temperature, empty and uncovered runs if I had the problem. It should speed things up some. At this point, simply sitting won't improve things much, you need heat to help.

Good luck with it, patience is called for now I think?

OF

OF,
Top Bottom